Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Timothy Treadwell - The Grizzly Man

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    l would have thought that since he was so pro-bear, he'd have had it in his will - 'if l'm killed by bears, please don't kill them for acting bearish.'
    or something to that effect.
    from what i remember of the documentary, Timothy did say that if anything happened to him because of the bears, he did not want the bear to be put down.... but the Park Service people did what they did probably not knowing his wishes... not that they would have not killed the bears anyway... i am guessing they wanted to get the remains out of the bear for the families??? yecchhhh.... better that they became bear scat in my mind....

endsleigh03 Guest
    oh l agree with you!
    l'm just saying - if l love dogs (let's say), live for dogs, choose to live WITH dogs. and get eaten by dogs. l wouldn't want the dogs killed for acting doggish.
    but no, l don't think people should bother wildlife.
    Your posts are hilarious lol

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by susalu View Post
    from what i remember of the documentary, Timothy did say that if anything happened to him because of the bears, he did not want the bear to be put down.... but the Park Service people did what they did probably not knowing his wishes... not that they would have not killed the bears anyway... i am guessing they wanted to get the remains out of the bear for the families??? yecchhhh.... better that they became bear scat in my mind....
    Yes better bear scat, good lord, that had to be awfully awful.

Belle Guest
    Outside Magazine January 2004
    http://outside.away.com/outside/news...ll_letter.html
    Some Bet on My Death
    In a stunning final letter, Timothy Treadwell speaks out on naysayers, fear, and what he believed was acceptance into the clan of the bear

THIS PAST SUMMERâ??his 13th in Alaskaâ??Timothy Treadwell wrote frequent letters to family and friends, including Roland Dixon, a Bellevue, Colorado, rancher and conservation activist who was one of Treadwell's most steadfast financial supporters. In late July, Treadwell had arrived in the area he called the Grizzly Maze, the vast tangle of meadows and thickets stretching inland from Kaflia Bay. To his delight, the Maze's bears were faring well, particularly one he called Aunt Melissa, and her two cubs, Lilly and Dixon, the latter named in Roland Dixon's honor. As Treadwell wrote to Dixon on August 25, he believed he was experiencing a breakthrough: "I am in the most exciting and dangerous time of my...fieldwork. I am so deep within the brown bear culture. It is fascinating, beautiful, and at times treacherous." His last letter to Dixonâ??which Dixon has provided exclusively to Outside, hoping to give Treadwell a voice in the controversy over his deathâ??was flown out on September 14 by a bush plane carrying supplies. It would be one of his final communications to the outside world.

EXPEDITION 2003
    Timothy Treadwell
    The Grizzly Maze, Alaska
    Sunday, September 14, 2003

Roland...
    Hello! I am writing you a last letter for the journey. My last food delivery is scheduled for late today.

My transformation completeâ??a fully accepted wild animalâ??brother to these bears. I run free among themâ??with absolute love and respect for all the animals. I am kind and viciously tough.

Peopleâ??especially the bear experts of Alaskaâ??believe this cannot be done. Some even bet on my death. They are sure you must have some sort of weapon for defenseâ??pepper spray at the least, an electric fence a must. And you cannot hope to make it in a flimsy tent under thick cover among one of Earth's largest gatherings of giant brown grizzly bears.

People who knowingly enter bear habitat with pepper spray, guns, and electric fences are committing a crime to the animals. They begin with the accepted idea of bringing instruments of pain to the animals. If they are that fearful, then they have no place in the land of this perfect animal.

Could I look at Dixon, Lilly, and their mother, Melissa, and tell them that I love them, that I will care for them, with a can of mace in my pocket? Does the fox or vole get zapped by the wicked sting of an electric fence for being curious?

This wildernessâ??the Grizzly Mazeâ??had big problems not too many years ago. People who came to kill the animals. I was threatened with death. One group promising to stuff me alive in a crab pot and submerge it in the icy sea.

They are gone now. The Maze returned to the animals.

You made this possible. I am a miserable fundraiser. Without you these animals would have been left without any care. Care that I can offer them without any displacement or disrespect. I even erase my footprints.

. . . You got me here for so many years. I will always remember and be thankful. . . . I will tell [the bears] of your kindness and generosity. Animals alive because of you. Myself included.

Sincerely,
    Timothy Treadwell
    Last edited by Belle; 11-24-2007 at 04:27 PM.

endsleigh03 Guest
    He ended up in the brown bear culture all right, at the end as deep in it as one can possibly go

Belle Guest
    If you haven't seen the movie (or saw it long ago), this two minute clip says it all. Tim explains that if *we* tried what he did, we'd DIE, but he becomes a "samurai" when he needs to http://www.metacafe.com/watch/29279/grizzly_man/
    Last edited by Belle; 11-24-2007 at 04:20 PM.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BellePosting View Post
    If you haven't seen the movie (or saw it long ago), this two minute clip says it all. Tim explains that if *we* tried what he did, we'd DIE, but he becomes a "samurai"
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/29279/grizzly_man/
    He samurai'd his way thru that one, didn't he?

Belle Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    He samurai'd his way thru that one, didn't he?
    Sure would have been kinder to SPRAY the bear so everybody (bears included) lived to see another day.......

He ended up in the brown bear culture all right, at the end as deep in it as one can possibly go
    haaaaaaaaaa!!

endsleigh03 Guest
    haaaaaaaaaa!!
    My bad lol

Exclamation

endsleigh03 Guest
    OMG, what a bear pic. This makes me feel bad again for TT and that girl. Jeez this what they looked at in the last minutes. lol. I AM NOT laughing, that would be mean, wouldn't it?

Belle Guest
    OMG, what a bear pic. This makes me feel bad again for TT and that girl. Jeez this what they looked at in the last minutes. lol. I AM NOT laughing, that would be mean, wouldn't it?
    Did you watch the clip http://www.metacafe.com/watch/29279/grizzly_man/ AND still feel sorry for "Tim You would die if you tried this but I am a samurai" Treadwell (who changed his name from "Timothy Dexter" and was known to always carry a well used mirror in his pocket to ensure his purty hair was very unbearlike perfect in every wilderness shot he filmed)

ManUnitedRedDevil Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecold View Post
    After the bear ate him he became Timmy the Pooh.
    Ewww!!! Teeheehee!!! That was awesome!

yes, laughing is very, very mean. (l hope smirking is ok.....) lol

Did you watch the clip http://www.metacafe.com/watch/29279/grizzly_man/ AND still feel sorry for "Tim You would die if you tried this but I am a samurai" Treadwell (who changed his name from "Timothy Dexter" and was known to always carry a well used mirror in his pocket to ensure his purty hair was very unbearlike perfect in every wilderness shot he filmed)
    SAMURAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ManUnitedRedDevil View Post
    Ewww!!! Teeheehee!!! That was awesome!
    C'mon, sing along.... Timmy the Pooh, Timmy the Pooh.....

ManUnitedRedDevil Guest
    ...Tubby little cubby all stuffed with Timmy...

it IS like a dash of paprika

...Tubby little cubby all stuffed with Timmy...
    Touche!

dovescry1999 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    This is wrong in so many ways.......but funny as hell
    You know what ? I can truly say I am a sick woman, now...
    I can't stop laughing.God please, forgive me, but I want to hear the tape.
    (I need Therapy, badly!)

dovescry1999 Guest
    The bear liked to play with his food? LOL... S
    You guys are so WRONG !!!! RAOFLMFAO!!!!!

dovescry1999 Guest
    thanks for reposting the link, i didn't take the time to read this earlier...

so, from reading this, a few things struck me...

it took 6 minutes to kill Tim because

1) the bear was really old (28) and his canines were broken in half.... his other teeth were worn down to nothing... in other words, Tim was mauled and gummed to death... when they found his head, his mouth was shaped in a horrible grimace....

2) Amie scared the bear off after the initial attack started... Amie came out of the tent and was yelling at Tim to play dead. The bear was startled and took off... Then she went to see to his wounds, and then the bear came back... Amie ran back to the tent and the bear, thinking Amie was trying to steal his dinner, dragged Tim off... Amie got the frying pan and was chasing the bear and hitting him with the frying pan, but the bear just kept on dragging Tim off away from Amie... Amie was freaking out screaming, and the bear came back and got her too... I am thinking she must have been trying to play dead, cuz when they found her head, it had a peaceful, sleeping face on it... the tape ran out before the bear actually killed Amie...

man, what an awful way to go...

OH MY GOD HE WAS GUMMED TO DEATH !!!!!!
    JESUS H. CHRIST !!!

dovescry1999 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dailyvault View Post
    I believe the transcript would go (apologies to Bob Newhart) something like this:

"Hey, what the #!*? are you doin'? Ow! Hey! Ow! Stop! OW, DAMMIT! OW!!!"

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
    You guys ...
    I pissed myself. Thanks a lot !!!

Quote Originally Posted by dovescry1999 View Post
    JESUS H. CHRIST !!!
    l personally love "when they found her head, it had a peaceful, sleeping face on it........"
    lolololol if they ever find my head severed from my body, l hope to hell it has a peaceful, sleeping face on it. haaaaaaaa

dovescry1999 Guest

YOU ARE SO WRONG FOR THAT !!!!!!
    i can't stop laughing !!!

susalu Guest
    JESUS H. CHRIST !!!
    i know, my god! that was a hell of a death... nobody deserves to die like that, except for maybe osama bin ladin....

steve irwin got off lucky, comparatively speaking... at least his was quick! and in my opinion, equally as deserved... it was just a matter of time for both of those nut jobs!!

thanks for the giggles, guys!!!

He went up there to protect the bears. I guess the bears weren't the ones needing protection.

Belle Guest
    if they ever find my head severed from my body, l hope to hell it has a peaceful, sleeping face on it. haaaaaaaa
    I was reading the official police procedures for my city. I thought one was pointless and unnecessary. It instructs officers not to attempt CPR on torsos without a head attached. When I started yapping about how stupid it was to write that down in a procedures manual officers are required to memorize, my spouse informed me they put it in after some cop tried it. What a trooper! Gee, maybe if he were there Tim or his girlfriend could have been saved (or at least one torso or head.....)
    Last edited by Belle; 11-25-2007 at 12:20 PM.

qulevergrrl Guest
    Some of his friends destroyed some tape because they didn't want it out. He rarely went out alone. That was his lie. He was often with a female companion. I got a little obsessed with this whole thing for awhile. It really creeped me out, but I couldn't stop watching him or it. I think he was bipolar.

31. 11-25-2007, 02:44 PM

More Cheese Please Guest
    JESUS H. CHRIST !!!
    MMMM- I'm cravin' me some gummi bears

tngirl1967 Guest
    The whole thing reminds me of a comedic routine I heard not long ago about "Thinning the herd". That bear was thinning the herd. He knew something was "off" about that dude, she was coincidental. Like going for the freakish retarded caribou or something.
    I'm sorry if this is horrible (I'm driving the pace car to hell anyway so here goes) but he was a dumbass, got what a dumbass deserves.
    AND......anybody that saw the doco.....did you not think his friends talking at the end of the movie were a little off the beaten path also? They looked straight off the land of misfit toys themselves!!!!

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tngirl1967 View Post
    The whole thing reminds me of a comedic routine I heard not long ago about "Thinning the herd". That bear was thinning the herd. He knew something was "off" about that dude, she was coincidental. Like going for the freakish retarded caribou or something.
    I'm sorry if this is horrible (I'm driving the pace car to hell anyway so here goes) but he was a dumbass, got what a dumbass deserves.
    AND......anybody that saw the doco.....did you not think his friends talking at the end of the movie were a little off the beaten path also? They looked straight off the land of misfit toys themselves!!!!
    Agreed. He was a mess.

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by W Axl Rose View Post
    I find it disturbing that bears were killed due to this incident.
    I agree. It bothers me whenever a wild animal is killed. Like whenever someone gets attacked by an alligator the cops get all trigger happy to find and kill the poor animal. The alligators were here first and us humans are encroaching onto THE GATOR'S turf so the gators have every right to protect themselves. They're just doin what comes natural.
    Unfortuantly humans are at war with nature and murdering other animals is part of that war. It's selfish and greedy to be killing other animals when they are just being animals.

dovescry1999 Guest
    I was reading the official police procedures for my city. I thought one was pointless and unnecessary. It instructs officers not to attempt CPR on torsos without a head attached. When I started yapping about how stupid it was to write that down in a procedures manual officers are required to memorize, my spouse informed me they put it in after some cop tried it. What a trooper! Gee, maybe if he were there Tim or his girlfriend could have been saved (or at least one torso or head.....)
    You have got to be f**kin' kidding me...

Doesn't CPR require Mouth to Mouth in some form ?
    Wait...I gotta go to the bathroom again...

dovescry1999 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by More Cheese Please View Post
    MMMM- I'm cravin' me some gummi bears

This is the most twisted group of people I have ever met (Via computer) in my life!!!!!!

...(sniff!) I love you guys !...(sniff!)

susalu Guest
    This is the most twisted group of people I have ever met (Via computer) in my life!!!!!!

...(sniff!) I love you guys !...(sniff!)
    i know!!! backatcha pal... you'll have to see if you can make it to the big death hag gathering next year.... we'll have a blast making fun of celebs and dead people...

dovescry1999 Guest
    i know!!! backatcha pal... you'll have to see if you can make it to the big death hag gathering next year.... we'll have a blast making fun of celebs and dead people...

If it's in Vegas, I'll be there!
    We can even stay at the Palace Station hotel, and dress up like O.J., and some of us can carry guns...

WHEW!!! I need to take a Valium !
    Tell me when and where, and I will see. I always wanted to pinch Scott's cheeks anyway...

ManUnitedRedDevil Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tngirl1967 View Post
    Where else could you read "freakish retarded caribou"!!! OMG!! That is funny!! I love this place!!

susalu Guest
    If it's in Vegas, I'll be there!
    We can even stay at the Palace Station hotel, and dress up like O.J., and some of us can carry guns...

WHEW!!! I need to take a Valium !
    Tell me when and where, and I will see. I always wanted to pinch Scott's cheeks anyway...
    right now it is looking like LA....

ManUnitedRedDevil Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by qulevergrrl View Post
    Some of his friends destroyed some tape because they didn't want it out. He rarely went out alone. That was his lie. He was often with a female companion. I got a little obsessed with this whole thing for awhile. It really creeped me out, but I couldn't stop watching him or it. I think he was bipolar.
    Was he looking for switch-hitting polar bears? He was in the wrong place. Should have headed a little further north.

tngirl1967 Guest

Talking

Where else could you read "freakish retarded caribou"!!! OMG!! That is funny!! I love this place!!
    Hey, where else can we think out loud????? LOL

Nowereman Guest
    The only way I'd see a Bear, In the Zoo.

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowereman View Post
    The only way I'd see a Bear, In the Zoo.
    i am going to Cody Wyoming next week, near Yellowstone National Park, and home to lots of grizzlies.... i will do my best to avoid getting eaten!! generally the grizzlies there don't mess with humans too often... but... you never know!!! watch the news!!!

http://www.codyenterprise.com/articl...news/news1.txt

Belle Guest
    i am going to Cody Wyoming next week, near Yellowstone National Park, and home to lots of grizzlies.... i will do my best to avoid getting eaten!! generally the grizzlies there don't mess with humans too often... but... you never know!!! watch the news!!!

http://www.codyenterprise.com/articl...news/news1.txt
    Just don't try to make love to the bear or become family with it and you'll be okay.

susalu Guest
    Just don't try to make love to the bear or become family with it and you'll be okay.
    ah, come on, i want to be the gentle warrior.... stern samurai of bear love! can i at least name a few???

ManUnitedRedDevil Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by qulevergrrl View Post
    Was he bipolar or just bi-curious? Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Nowereman Guest
    I found this bit of ironic footage of Treadwell (he didn't) on Letterman.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GCi4QgPoHZE

Be safe at Yellowstone love, did you know as well as the Grizzlies, there is a Volcano in the park that usually blows it's top every 600,000 years or so, the last time it blow was about 600,060 years ago, don't wanna worry you or nothing
    Last edited by Nowereman; 11-25-2007 at 08:12 PM.

lol!!!

no, he didn't, did he?

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowereman View Post
    Be safe at Yellowstone love, did you know as well as the Grizzlies, there is a Volcano in the park that usually blows it's top every 600,000 years or so, the last time it blow was about 600,060 years ago, don't wanna worry you or nothing
    oh hell, i forgot about that! but, actually, i live close enough to yellowstone that i will probably be killed anyway... they say anything in a 500-600 mile radius will die pretty quickly after it explodes! not sure if by fire/heat or by smoke/ash inhalation!!