Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Timothy Treadwell - The Grizzly Man

susalu Guest

Timothy Treadwell - The Grizzly Man

I know there is some mention of him on the Steve Irwin thread, but I think Tim deserves his own thread...

You all remember Tim... The fella that lived with the Grizzlies in Alaska for 12 or 13 summers, and ended up in the belly of the beast, literally... Unfortunately, his girlfriend ended up in there too...

There is an awesome, balanced documentary on Tim, called "Grizzly Man"... He fancied himself one with the bears... He was certainly a few sandwiches short of a picnic, but I think his intentions were good... The scenes in the documentary of him living with the foxes in his den were precious...

His video camera was turned on when he and Amie were eaten... The lens cap was on, but apparently all of the audio was captured... Being the death hag that I am, I would really like to hear that... Or at least read a transcript... tsk tsk tsk...

Susan

pvezz Guest
    I was searching for the same thing the other day, fellow hag! LOL

Kathyf Guest
    I saw a documentary and I believe they said that his girlfriend or somebody has the tape and it was locked up or destroyed. I think 2 people listened and said it was absolutely horrible. It was called grizzley man 2005 it came out. it is long but has all recent footage until his death his Mom and Dad are on it too.

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    I saw a documentary and I believe they said that his girlfriend or somebody has the tape and it was locked up or destroyed. I think 2 people listened and said it was absolutely horrible. It was called grizzley man 2005 it came out. it is long but has all recent footage until his death his Mom and Dad are on it too.
    Yes I saw a doco on it too, and they said the same thing. It will probably surface one day. The doco was interesting, showed the aftermath

secretsquirrel13 Guest
    I saw it as well...my roommate at the time was trying to appear "cool" and would only rent indie films and docu's....
    His intentions seemed well...but, yeah...he was a few fries short of a Happy Meal....Some of his rants were amusing....
    But, like Steve Irwin, live by the bear....die by the bear....
    I know what its like to get attacked by a large animal..but not THAT large.

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    I saw "Grizzly Man" too. Well intentioned indeed, but wrong. You don't live with wild animals. Their beauty is for a telephoto lens.

He was more than a few sandwiches short of a picnic. That boy left the potato salad and the Kool Aid home too.

magblax Guest
    Here is an exerpt from this http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/Tim_Treadwell.html website (one of the best I've foun. I would love to hear the tape!!!!

[SIZE=5]"T[/SIZE]he audio portion of this video tape lasts roughly 6 minutes. During this period, Tim's cries and pleadings can be heard for two-thirds of that time. He did not die quickly, unlike some traumatic death victims who were lucky enough to drift off into a shock induced dream state. Tim was obviously very aware and struggling desperately to survive during the last moments of his life.
    Unlike what is portrayed in the movies, the bear is nearly silent. Only low growls and periodic grunts are heard which only adds to the horror of the scene. Sounds of the bear dragging Tim off, and the fading sounds of his scream's indicate that Tim is being pulled and dragged into the brush and away from camp.
    As the tape comes to an end, the sounds of Amie's high-pitched screams rise to a new level, much like what has been described as "the sound of a predator call used by hunters to produce the distress cries of a small wounded animal which often attracts bears". Biologist Larry Van Daele, for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game theorizes that Amie's screams "may have prompted the bear to return and kill her." ( Van Daele 2004 )
    We can only envision the horror of what Amie had witnessed and heard. Hysterical and "paralyzed with fear, standing just outside of the tent until the bear returned and attacked her". (I'm not convinced of this. More on this below too) (Readers Digest 2005)
    On Friday, October 8, 2003, two days after investigators first arrived and killed the two bears, a necropsy of the larger bear was conducted at the scene by biologist Larry Van Daele, where it was learned the stomach and digestive tract contained human remains and torn pieces of clothing. Four garbage bags containing human remains were removed and flown out by helicopter. (Egli 2004) The smaller younger bear had been eaten by other bears before the multi-agency team could return and only the head remained, so no determination could be made as to whether this young bear played any part in the deaths or the consumption of the victims. "

pvezz Guest
    OMG.......

different kind of girl Guest
    I watched this documentary over a year ago (rented from Blockbuster, they carry it) and thought the guy was a passionate looney. Weren't the bears he was "protecting" in a protected area already?

I also watched anticipating hearing or seeing the footage of his death, and was disappointed when we could only watch someone listen to it. I think it will surface one day too.

But how horrific, thanks for that detailed explanation on what was heard.

That's great site, magblax. I think the author handled the more morbid aspects very professionally and thoroughly. Well-researched, and so forth. How grim! It makes me even less inclined to hike in the wilds were big animals roam! Gulp.

ScottyMonger Guest
    Yes, the bears are in the Katmai National Park and are already protected. He wasn't really protecting those specific bears, but attempting to raise awareness about problems faced by bears in general. In the end, he succeeded in demonstrating that we should leave Grizzly Bears the Hell alone.

onehunglow Guest
    Well if bears shit in the woods, we can ask him. I wonder where his final resting place is?

magblax Guest
    Cremated, Ashes scattered.
    Specifically: Ashes scattered in Alaskaâ??s Katmai National Park near Kaflia Bay

RubySlippers Guest

Red face

For REAL. It was only a matter of time. Like kid who keeps putting his hand in the tiger's cage. He's gonna get his arm ripped off. But in this case, he was just swallowed hole.
    Let this be a lesson to you nature loving souls out there...

Quote Originally Posted by Harry in Connecticut View Post
    I saw "Grizzly Man" too. Well intentioned indeed, but wrong. You don't live with wild animals. Their beauty is for a telephoto lens.

He was more than a few sandwiches short of a picnic. That boy left the potato salad and the Kool Aid home too.

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    Well if bears shit in the woods, we can ask him. I wonder where his final resting place is?
    This is wrong in so many ways.......but funny as hell

secretsquirrel13 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMonger View Post
    . In the end, he succeeded in demonstrating that we should leave Grizzly Bears the Hell alone.
    And THAT, boys and girls, is something I think we can ALL agree on!!

endsleigh03 Guest
    Great book, great documentary.

Shouldn't have been out there.
    Not saying he didn't care about the bears, but he also was a frustrated actor (lost a role on cheers, etc) and I got the feeling if he couldn't achieve fame that way, he'd find another.

Either way, Rest In Peace. Thats too young to go.

bluebear71 Guest
    I have to respect anyone who is that passionate about what they do, but Tim was nuttier than squirrel shit in my opinion.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I was reading some website last year and they were saying that the Romans used to throw a bear into an arena with a lion to see what happened. Invariably, the bear takes apart the lion in about a minute.
    So why did this guy take 6 minutes???

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by secretsquirrel13 View Post
    And THAT, boys and girls, is something I think we can ALL agree on!!
    You have my word. I promise. You will never see me on the evening news as I prepare for my overnight with a big old bear. And should you ever see that....you may say, in the words of my uncle .. "She done lost her shittin' mind."

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie Prody View Post
    I was reading some website last year and they were saying that the Romans used to throw a bear into an arena with a lion to see what happened. Invariably, the bear takes apart the lion in about a minute.
    The bear liked to play with his food? LOL... S

onehunglow Guest

Talking Maybe the got them in Chicago and they choked

Quote Originally Posted by Christie Prody View Post
    Not unusual for them to take 6 minutes to get one down.

RoRo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebear71 View Post
    I have to respect anyone who is that passionate about what they do, but Tim was nuttier than squirrel shit in my opinion.
    I totally agree!! I thought when this first happened some news show played a bit of the tape before it got bad with the g/f saying play dead or something to that effect...am I dreaming that?? I think it was on a show where a friend of his got the watch he wearing that day....

susalu Guest
    just took the time to look for the soundtrack to this movie.... awesome guitar work by Richard Thompson....

Belle Guest
    A must read as Magblax said: http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/Tim_Treadwell.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GrizzlyMeal.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	1586  
    Last edited by Belle; 11-23-2007 at 06:37 PM.

1karenhb Guest
    Why would anyone want to hear and especially see a video of 2 people being killed in such a horrible way??? I did see the documentary Grizzly Man knowing the audio tape was not heard.

ManUnitedRedDevil Guest
    Ewww. Guess not all bears are like Winnie the Pooh.

Quote Originally Posted by ManUnitedRedDevil View Post
    Ewww. Guess not all bears are like Winnie the Pooh.
    After the bear ate him he became Timmy the Pooh.

i read a long thread on bear attacks,and there were many suggestions of large caliber rifles,but, a professional guide said,yeah a rifle is fine if you are hunting bears,but if the bear is hunting you,they come in very fast on all fours with their heads down.
    he suggested a very large caliber revolver and expect to shoot further down than you may expect,that is lead the bear. tricky business all around i guess.

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecold View Post
    lord! lol!

Quote Originally Posted by susalu View Post
    lord! lol!
    Sorry, it's not my fault, it was the booze talking!

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecold View Post
    LMAO!

Belle Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnitelamp View Post
    i read a long thread on bear attacks,and there were many suggestions of large caliber rifles,but, a professional guide said,yeah a rifle is fine if you are hunting bears,but if the bear is hunting you,they come in very fast on all fours with their heads down.
    he suggested a very large caliber revolver and expect to shoot further down than you may expect,that is lead the bear. tricky business all around i guess.
    You can't carry firearms legally in a lot of places that bears are. Bear spray, a special type and power of pepper spray, is the preferred self defense method. Studies have shown it is more effective than a gun in practical use. Many a time, humans have been killed or seriously injured after shooting a bear. Tim, of course, wouldn't carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    LMAO!
    Thank you, you are too kind. Sometimes, I crack myself up.

Nowereman Guest
    I saw this doco about him, and they had a tape of the recording that was taken when he was killed and the reaction of most people who heard it would put me off ever wanting to listen to it.

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BellePosting View Post
    thanks for reposting the link, i didn't take the time to read this earlier...

so, from reading this, a few things struck me...

it took 6 minutes to kill Tim because

1) the bear was really old (28) and his canines were broken in half.... his other teeth were worn down to nothing... in other words, Tim was mauled and gummed to death... when they found his head, his mouth was shaped in a horrible grimace....

2) Amie scared the bear off after the initial attack started... Amie came out of the tent and was yelling at Tim to play dead. The bear was startled and took off... Then she went to see to his wounds, and then the bear came back... Amie ran back to the tent and the bear, thinking Amie was trying to steal his dinner, dragged Tim off... Amie got the frying pan and was chasing the bear and hitting him with the frying pan, but the bear just kept on dragging Tim off away from Amie... Amie was freaking out screaming, and the bear came back and got her too... I am thinking she must have been trying to play dead, cuz when they found her head, it had a peaceful, sleeping face on it... the tape ran out before the bear actually killed Amie...

man, what an awful way to go...

endsleigh03 Guest
    Thats weird...I don't remember most of this from the book and docu. Specially anything about her being hands on with the bear .

Quote Originally Posted by 1karenhb View Post
    Why would anyone want to hear and especially see a video of 2 people being killed in such a horrible way??? I did see the documentary Grizzly Man knowing the audio tape was not heard.
    because we are death hags. we are curious about things deathly.

susalu Guest
    Thats weird...I don't remember most of this from the book and docu. Specially anything about her being hands on with the bear .
    it's on that weblink magblax and belleposting posted... a very interesting read!

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    because we are death hags. we are curious about things deathly.
    Lol "things deathly" good one

I find it disturbing that bears were killed due to this incident.

RigorMortis Guest
    I tend to agree with you Axl. Bears do what bears do.

dailyvault Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by susalu View Post
    His video camera was turned on when he and Amie were eaten... The lens cap was on, but apparently all of the audio was captured... Being the death hag that I am, I would really like to hear that... Or at least read a transcript... tsk tsk tsk...

I believe the transcript would go (apologies to Bob Newhart) something like this:

"Hey, what the #!*? are you doin'? Ow! Hey! Ow! Stop! OW, DAMMIT! OW!!!"

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RigorMortis View Post
    I tend to agree with you Axl. Bears do what bears do.
    I agree! Especially when these individuals inserted themselves into an environment that had been sanctioned specifically for the protection of animals.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by More Cheese Please View Post
    I agree! Especially when these individuals inserted themselves into an environment that had been sanctioned specifically for the protection of animals.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by W Axl Rose View Post
    I find it disturbing that bears were killed due to this incident.
    l would have thought that since he was so pro-bear, he'd have had it in his will - 'if l'm killed by bears, please don't kill them for acting bearish.'
    or something to that effect.

endsleigh03 Guest
    l would have thought that since he was so pro-bear, he'd have had it in his will - 'if l'm killed by bears, please don't kill them for acting bearish.'
    or something to that effect.
    As much as I feel bad that people AND bears got killed, I have to say, everyone needs to leave the wildlife alone.
    Unless they are injured (and not even then sometimes since it the natural cycle) let it go.
    These people really PMO.

As much as I feel bad that people AND bears got killed, I have to say, everyone needs to leave the wildlife alone.
    Unless they are injured (and not even then sometimes since it the natural cycle) let it go.
    These people really PMO.
    oh l agree with you!
    l'm just saying - if l love dogs (let's say), live for dogs, choose to live WITH dogs. and get eaten by dogs. l wouldn't want the dogs killed for acting doggish.
    but no, l don't think people should bother wildlife.

Belle Guest
    oh l'm just saying - if l love dogs (let's say), live for dogs, choose to live WITH dogs. and get eaten by dogs. l wouldn't want the dogs killed for acting doggish. but no, l don't think people should bother wildlife.
    I was annoying our large dog (that bites) by blowing into her nostrils (cheap fun) yesterday, and she was nipping at my nose. My spouse said, "if I come home and you are missing a nose, THE DOG STAYS!" Seemed fair enough to me
    Last edited by Belle; 11-24-2007 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BellePosting View Post
    I was annoying our large dog (that bites) by blowing into her nostrils (cheap fun) yesterday, and she was nipping at my nose. My spouse said, "if I come home and you are missing a nose, THE DOG STAYS!" Seemed fair enough to me
    lol awesome.