Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Robert Palmer

LadyDay Guest
    Another fan here.

He was a serious chain smoker and that contributed to his death.

I love his stuff - Johnny and Mary and She Makes My Day.

Plus his covers of Marvin Gaye's Mercy Mercy Me and I Want You are just as good as the original.

Gone too soon - and God, could he wear a suit.

monroe27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
    Good song, I like that one too. I love "Can We Still Be Friends" as well.

I believe all the girls in the videos were just models. I did hear a rumor however, that one of the girls was dating Robert and can be seeing eyeing up the other chicks in the video for "Addicted To Love," LOL! I heard that on some VH1 show... can't remember what it was though.

A few of my girlfriends and I dressed up as The Robert Palmer Girls for Halloween back in the day. We won a contest with that one.
    didn't todd rundgren do "Can We Still Be Friends"?

cherryghost Guest
    Also one of the few Pop Stars who was keeping his looks as he got older!

Why is it so many Rock Stars are now aging so badly! At least in the 60's they died!

**Jenna** Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSunshine View Post
    I was so surprised to find out that Power Station were members of Duran Duran on a break.
    I didn't know that.
    I learn things from here on a daily basis!

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Man this hunk provided me with hours of mental masturbation when I was a teen...He was hotter than the inside of a pizza roll straight outta the oven...I was convinced he was going to fall for me and we would run away together and live happy happy ever after...Little did I realize he would have probably done 15-20 in the penn...Man the '80's were great...I miss em all the dad gum time...

Karnag72 Guest
    Robert Palmer died? What freakin rock have I been hiding under...I never heard about this!

Quote Originally Posted by monroe27 View Post
    didn't todd rundgren do "Can We Still Be Friends"?
    Yes, Todd Rundgren wrote it, and recorded it first.

Very stylish dresser. In the vein of Bryan Ferry and David Bowie.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

lane4 Guest
    Isn't it weird how songs can take you back to a place & time? Addicted to Love - around 15-16 years old having the time of my life! First boyfriends, 1st job, 1st time getting drunk...what memories. I miss 1986.

Quote Originally Posted by howDIDyouBUYit? View Post
    Man this hunk provided me with hours of mental masturbation when I was a teen...He was hotter than the inside of a pizza roll straight outta the oven...I was convinced he was going to fall for me and we would run away together and live happy happy ever after...Little did I realize he would have probably done 15-20 in the penn...Man the '80's were great...I miss em all the dad gum time...
    Mental?

I'm sure that if he had only met you; your fantasies would have become real.

Quote Originally Posted by lane4 View Post
    Isn't it weird how songs can take you back to a place & time? Addicted to Love - around 15-16 years old having the time of my life! First boyfriends, 1st job, 1st time getting drunk...what memories. I miss 1986.
    I miss being able to remember 1986.

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Very stylish dresser. In the vein of Bryan Ferry and David Bowie.
    Dear God, could that man wear a suit! What was it howdidyoubuyit said? Mental masturbation? All I know is that the thoughts running amok in my brain were rated X whenever I saw that man dressed to the 9's and with that smug little smirk on his face! And he could sing! What a loss.

AFoolandHisMonkey Guest
    He was hot, that's for sure. I liked his older stuff better, though: Sneaking Sally through the Alley and Hey Julia.

kafenervosa Guest
    Power Station was Robert Palmer, Andy and John Taylor from Duran Duran and Tony Thompson on the drums. It's interesting to note that Tony Thompson died from kidney cancer a couple months after Robert Palmer.

deathaddict Guest
    I was shocked when he died. He had an unique song. I loved his collaborations with UB40 - Be my Baby.
    Addicted to love was such a cool video with the suit and the unsmiling girls in those dresses.

Who was wearing a suit?
    Oh; I get it...Robert was IN the video with the unsmiling girls!
    Never noticed; I'll have to check that out.

I♥TinyTim Guest
    I like this song by him... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P2hoO088lc

WendyK Guest
    I wanna be one of those bitches in the little black dresses...ha!

LadyDay Guest
    I love his version of I didn't mean to turn you on.

This song takes on a whole new meaning when a guy sings it.

I love the fact the man in the song is turning down a ONS with the girl - that kind of stuff drives us women nuts and coming back for more.

Forever-27 Guest
    I was so surprised to find out that Power Station were members of Duran Duran on a break.
    Me too. I almost liked that band. They had a few catchy songs. Re-election Day I think it was. To think back in the 80s when I was a teen I hated duan duran.
    Last edited by Forever-27; 09-20-2008 at 04:02 PM.

ratkin638 Guest
    Palmer was a favorite of mine all the way back to his old groups, Dada and Vinegar Joe (early to mid-70s). My college radio show used the title track from the 2nd Vinegar Joe album ("Rock and Roll Gypsies") for a theme song.
    [Don't let the word 'junior' under my name fool you - - I'm officially Older Than Dirt.]

puddles Guest
    crappy music, bu bye!

Quote Originally Posted by puddles View Post
    crappy music, bu bye!
    Music?

I thought we were talking about videos.

Just kidding of course; I did like much of his music; and what a suave guy; at a time of spandex pants and big hair...for MEN!

Each to their own; of course.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Snudgie Guest
    He was a very cool bloke...very sexy...did some good tunes...and yes I wanted to be one of those girls from the Addicted to Love video...!

bunny Guest
    I was snudgie...hahahah ya right!..

NineTails20 Guest

*raises hand*

MAJOR Duranie here!

Basically, Robert was not the first choice for lead singer of Power Station. It was initially John Taylor's idea. He was dating Bebe Beull(mother of Liv Tyler) at the time, and it was supposed to be Bebe singing 'Get It On'. Thankfully, that came to an end, and both John and Andy began to take the project seriously. They were going to record the first album with a different lead singer for each song, but when they recorded one song with Robert, it was decided that he should sing on the whole album.

However, when the album sold better than expected, management wanted the band to tour. Robert declined, and that's when Michael Des Barres stood in for him for the live shows.

They did record another Power Station album in the early 90's, but John Taylor dropped out of the recording, mainly due to his divorce and going into rehab for cocaine addiction.

bunny Guest
    Oh COOL ME ALSO I have to say Nick was my fav...

NineTails20 Guest
    Nah.....I'm a John Taylor girl, have been since 1981.

If it hadn't been for Power Station, I would never have checked out Robert Palmer's music.

Other trivia: Duran's Andy Taylor played the lead guitar on 'Addicted To Love'.

bunny Guest
    oh ya John would have done in a pinch hahah

NineTails20 Guest
    Would now be a good time to admit that I named my youngest son Taylor after John?

*blushes*

NineTails20 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Me too. I almost liked that band. They had a few catchy songs. Re-election Day I think it was. To think back in the 80s when I was a teen I hated duan duran.

'Election Day' wasn't Duran, it was the other spin off band Arcadia; Simon Le Bon, Nick Rhodes and Roger Taylor.

SweetWickedHellKatEvil Guest
    Part of me died when I heard Robert Palmer left this earth. He was one example of intellectual, sauve, sexy, and debonair hunk of man. I believe it when you say he was a sexual man. But, honey in my dreams, he is rocking all night long. Take a look at my avatar. Heh Heh Heh! Once you look into a eyes of a cat you belong to them forever. No joke.

Seriously, I was drawn to Robert because of his songs every day subjects that have real meaning. Robert has the gift to convey raw emotions in his songs. The secret to Robert's music is using jamacian and african rhythms to remakes old blues and r&b songs. And dressing in a suit and having a band of ruby red lipstick models in your video doesn't hurt your image either.
    Last edited by SweetWickedHellKatEvil; 02-05-2009 at 12:27 PM.

STORMIE Guest
    I must have been living in a cave. Did not know Robert Palmer died. LOVED HIM in the 80's. Thought he was talented and sexy.

MorbidMolly Guest
    * sigh *.....I still truly miss him

KarmaKat Guest
    Robert Passed Away around the same time as John Ritter and my dad.
    All 3 were the exact same age and died from Heart Attacks. My Father also looked uncannily alike both these men lol.
    Wish that all were still with us. I miss all 3 men. Just one a little more.

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ihearttinytim View Post
    Love Robert Palmer.. he's the guy who's bones I secretly wanted to jump in the 80's and yeah I would have taken someone out to be one of the Palmer girls!..and this song..somehow watching that video again he doesn't seem all that sorry..or surprised he turned her on! LOL

madmravyn Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ihearttinytim View Post
    I LOVE this part in the music video, at 2:33 where he is smiling. He was so handsome and sexy as hell.

madmravyn Guest
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0U5JfGYx4c

I love how he didn't have a problem putting in the non-waif women in his videos.

lisalouver Guest
    Another one I always forget is gone

RocketQueen Guest
    WOW. I had no idea. When did this happen, and why didn't I know. WTF!!

vandal Guest
    Does anyone know what his headstone looks like? I always expect something crazy like Falcos when a big star from the 80's dies.

That is strange as I also found out long after the fact that he had passed away and was totally shocked.. They must not have published it that much .. I see I am not the only one that gapped that one.. he was ((Hot)) and really talented..

burgtwngrl Guest
    I am such a fan. A piece of my youth died when he passed away. So young. Gone too soon.

LadyDay Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    Does anyone know what his headstone looks like? I always expect something crazy like Falcos when a big star from the 80's dies.
    He's buried in a graveyard in switzerland, apparently the headstone is not widely known as his family want privacy.

vandal Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDay View Post
    He's buried in a graveyard in switzerland, apparently the headstone is not widely known as his family want privacy.
    Ah I see.

octobersky Guest
    I didn't realize he had passed away until late last year. Where was I in 2003? I have no idea.

Unhappy

He was a really good singer, I loved "Addicted To Love", especially the music video! Also "Simply Irresistable".

I was sad when I learned he died...he died from a heart attack.
    Last edited by DivineDeath; 08-09-2009 at 02:36 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here one day, Gone one night, Gone too soon...
    Missing you forever...

Flowergrrl Guest

48. 08-08-2009, 11:09 PM

the corpse bride Guest

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Colicky View Post
    Dear God, could that man wear a suit! What was it howdidyoubuyit said? Mental masturbation? All I know is that the thoughts running amok in my brain were rated X whenever I saw that man dressed to the 9's and with that smug little smirk on his face! And he could sing! What a loss.
    I was a teenager back then, and I wanted him and out of the suit too!

She's unavoidable and backed against the wall.
    She gives me feelings I've never felt before.
    I'm breaking promises, she's breaking every law.

Danny62 Guest
    Didn't that skank Shania Twain use one of his songs...well not the song but it was almost Idential to the background he used in one of his songs??

RubySlippers Guest

It was for a video.