Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Green River Killer- Gary Ridgeway

GraveyardGirl Guest

Green River Killer- Gary Ridgeway

Is there already a thread on this? I thought there would be due to the popularity of the subject, but I did a search and couldn't find anything. Anyways, I am watching "The Capture of the Green River Killer" that was on Lifetime (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1100911/) and it has peaked my interest in the case. Of course I've heard about the Green River murders, but never really delved into it much. Someone wanna give me some offical "Death Hag" opinions/facts about this case? Or maybe point me in the right direction of a thread about this that is already here on the boards?

Gary Leon Ridgeway is the Green River Killer. Ridgeway was interview back in the day and his DNA was taken. Years later when DNA tests were available his matched a victim(s), and he was arrested and confessed.

You can read all about in Green River Running Red by Ann Rule or Search for the Green River Killer by Smith and Guillian (sp).
    Or here http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_k...r/index_1.html
    Last edited by cindyt; 04-01-2008 at 02:38 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Guest Guest
    I knew one of his victims and a few months before he was arrested was in attendance at a company party of a friend of mine that worked with him....I don't even like to say his name

the victim that I knew was the older sister of a girl I went to school with...Alma Smith 15 years old...her mom lived in Eastern Washington and her dad in Seattle...she used to go back and forth a lot...one time she never came back...because that puke GLR got her!

most of his victims were under the age of 18...many of them were prostitutes others just mixed up kids that hung on the streets

there is a book by Anne Rule called "Green River Running Red" about this case...it's a good read...she gives a face and a story to each of the victims and delves into GLR's fucked up mentality!

I'm in the Tacoma area and for me it's just something that really gets me angry...what he did and the fact they made this deal with him...he currently is housed in the State Penitentiary in Walla Walla...the same town that Alma was from...serving life instead of waiting for death on death row....I understand making a deal for information...but come on 48 women dead..most likely a lot more than that...and he gets a life sentence instead???

to me, that's beyond messed up!

hoxharding Guest
    I bought the Ann Rule book over the weekend-I haven't read it yet.
    The main girl in the Lifetime movie is fiction- this isn't a surprise because there is often one fictional character in many tv-movies.
    She is probably a composite of the victims and is there to give them a voice.
    At the end of the tv-movie you see the pictures of the real girls.
    The man should of been executed.

Reecy Guest
    I agree he should've been executed or at least awaiting execution. He cared more about his cars details then the details of the woman he killed.

Lita Guest
    Green River Runs Red by Ann Rule is great. I watched the sentencing of this monster on tv. I remember thinking "Are they sure it's him? Are they sure that's the right guy?" He looks like a rat (fittingly) and he looks so small. When one of the vitcim's fathers got up and told Ridgeway that he forgave him because he was a Christian and God says to forgive, Ridgeway started crying. He didn't expect to be forgiven. The part of the whole process I really liked was that the judge had a moment of silence for each victim. 43 seconds of silence. I thought that was rather touching of him.

I agree that Ridgeway should have been given the death penalty but I understand the deal the prosecution gave him. Ridgeway led the police to a couple of bodies they hadn't found yet, thus giving those families closure. Besides, I think the death penalty is too good for him. Why let him be "put to sleep" in a pretty much painless way? He didn't give that consideration to his victims.

xenaswolf Guest
    I agree, he should be executed. What bugs me is that I believe some of his "victims" were not his victims at all, but the cops couldn't solve the murders and just threw them in since he was confessing.

The Ann Rule book is really good. Hope you enjoy it

GraveyardGirl Guest
    I guess a trip to Border's is in order for me. Thanks!

Guest Guest
    actually most of the victims he either confessed to killing or they had sufficient DNA samples that matched his...there are still several women who have never been identified...I believe he is responsible for a string of murders that happened in the 90's in Pierce County/Tacoma area and I hope they are able to find that he did it...A...so I would know they already have the one responsible...and B....Pierce County can then go after him with the new charges and go for the death penalty..

I understand that for some they think it's just "too easy" to put them to death...let them live and suffer etc etc

yeah let them suffer their 10 years of appeals then hang their asses up!

in Washington we have lethal AND HANGING! he strangled his victims...I think it would be fitting that he experience the tightening around his neck and the struggle to breath...

sorry...don't mean to offend any tree huggers here....but I'M ALL FOR THE DEATH PENALTY and I don't buy into the Kum Bi Ya "it's cruel and unusual punishment" damn right it's cruel..that' why it's PUNISHMENT!

I resent having to feed and clothe monsters like GLR...especially when I know he took the life of my childhood friends big sister..she was only 15 years old...that pathetic monster choked the life out of children!

he doesn't deserve to breathe our air...so I hope someone pulls a Dahmer on his ass that is if Pierce County doesn't get him first!

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Well said.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Ann Rule isn't associated with that Lifetime movie at all. She made that pretty clear on her website, heh.

The thing that gets me about GLR is that he couldn't even remember any of the details about some of the murders, there were so many.

Hox, Green River Running Red is a good read, but it's difficult. It kept smacking me in the face, how many women there were, and so very young.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearheart View Post
    actually most of the victims he either confessed to killing or they had sufficient DNA samples that matched his...there are still several women who have never been identified...I believe he is responsible for a string of murders that happened in the 90's in Pierce County/Tacoma area and I hope they are able to find that he did it...A...so I would know they already have the one responsible...and B....Pierce County can then go after him with the new charges and go for the death penalty..

I understand that for some they think it's just "too easy" to put them to death...let them live and suffer etc etc

in Washington we have lethal AND HANGING! he strangled his victims...I think it would be fitting that he experience the tightening around his neck and the struggle to breath...

sorry...don't mean to offend any tree huggers here....but I'M ALL FOR THE DEATH PENALTY and I don't buy into the Kum Bi Ya "it's cruel and unusual punishment" damn right it's cruel..that' why it's PUNISHMENT!

I resent having to feed and clothe monsters like GLR...especially when I know he took the life of my childhood friends big sister..she was only 15 years old...that pathetic monster choked the life out of children!

he doesn't deserve to breathe our air...so I hope someone pulls a Dahmer on his ass that is if Pierce County doesn't get him first!
    Although I am an opponent of the death penalty, I do not consider myself a "tree hugger" and I suspect many others who oppose it also do not consider themselves "tree huggers."

I won't go into all the reasons that the death penalty is a flawed system, but suffice it to say, most people that oppose the death penalty are educated and thier reasoning goes beyond what you describe here.

xenaswolf Guest

I thought they got rid of the hanging option after Westley Allen Dodd? I know that that guy Rupe was supposed to be hanged but he was too fat...hell just shoot 'em between the eyes with a 45 and be done with it.

GraveyardGirl Guest
    Sooooooooo, are there any crime scene photos out there for us to gawk at?

interrestedintn Guest
    Hi, I'm new here but, I had to say........everyone here is right about this sicko. I also think that he should be put to death but not by lethal injection. It's just too humane for such a brutal murderer. I understand why the family members of his victims would want him dead. I can only imagine how it must feel to lose someone you love in such a heinous way and have to know that after getting away with it for so long, he gets to sit in prison alive.
    The only good thing I can say about that is that.....it's hell in there. Anyone who has ever spent a few hours in a jail cell can tell you that death would be better than knowing you have to sit there the rest of your life with nothing but time on your hands. Drugs have become such a problem in jails that most of them don't allow smoking or anything the prisoners might actually enjoy due to smuggling in contraband. Not to mention that many male prisoners do NOT like a person who has committed the sick acts that this man has. I'm sure that if he's in general population, he's not having it so easy. Even worse is if he has to stay alone. A sick mind is not necessarily an insane mind and being alone for that long in that little room they keep you in.......it'll drive anyone insane soon enough. That's a punishment fit for anyone whose killed. To have to sit and go through all the emotions of loneliness and depression and feeling your sanity go. Quite frankly, it's torture and I think that befits this man well.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Although I am an opponent of the death penalty, I do not consider myself a "tree hugger" and I suspect many others who oppose it also do not consider themselves "tree huggers."

I won't go into all the reasons that the death penalty is a flawed system, but suffice it to say, most people that oppose the death penalty are educated and thier reasoning goes beyond what you describe here.
    didn't mean to offend with the Tree Hugger statement but I must say that most that stand outside our courthouses opposing the death penalty literally are tree huggers...lol...This is Washington State home of the anti logging save the spotted owl campaigners and don't put to death an admitted serial killer...this guy confessed...that in of itself should get him the death penalty...he made a deal to locate bodies...why confess to something you didn't do just to spare your life...well he confessed to doing it and then dealed up in exchange for his "dump sites" he held no value whatsoever for any of these women....they were and are still trash to him...no remorse for anyone but himself...I mean this guy admitted that one time he had his young son with him during one of his murders...the boy was asleep in the cab of his truck...he admitted that if his son had woke up and seen what his father had done he would have killed his son!

I'm all for finding the remains...but not saving this pukes life! I'm sorry as a tax payer I resent like hell having to feed the man that killed my friends sister as well as the dozens of others!

it's bullshit!

as far as the book goes...it's a good read but yes a difficult one...however I find it comforting that Anne Rule gave each girl a name and her story...not just rattled them off like a shopping list...most of his victims were runaways...under the age of 18 or just barely out of their teens...he's a child killer as far as I'm concerned...and I do hope that someone pulls a Dahmer on him...it's like Marie Malvar's brother said in court "I know a lot of people who know a lot of people in the joint" put it in that perspective...48 women..probably more...how many of their friends and relatives may be in the system...I say make his ass a trustee and leave him "alone" with a couple of others that have nothing to lose!

Sorry but this subject and knowing what he has done and taken from this world gets me pissed/riled up...especially knowing that he lives and breathes...I know for a fact it would make tons of people feel better if he was no longer on this planet!

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xenaswolf View Post
    I thought they got rid of the hanging option after Westley Allen Dodd? I know that that guy Rupe was supposed to be hanged but he was too fat...hell just shoot 'em between the eyes with a 45 and be done with it.
    on no Hanging is still an option...they all have a choice...lethal or hanging if they don't choose then lethal injection is used...Wesley Allen Dodd chose to be hung because he was at least man enough to realize that he needed to be put to death...never thought I would give a child killer credit but I give it to him...he stated that he would escape and kill more children fired his attorney then sued the State of Washington to carry out his execution immediately...I think it was only 45 days or something like that from the time he was sentenced until they actually executed him...he hung the Neher brothers up...he chose hanging because he deserved to die the way he killed them...though he even recognized that it wouldn't be as brutal as to what he did...Rupe was a fat POS who got his sentence commuted to life because it would be "cruel and unusual" to hang his fat ass because he claimed his head would pop off...what made me angry about this was the lethal was the other option...so the State should have just said...calm down buddy we'll stick you instead...but I'll have to dig a bit...maybe lethal didn't come in until after he was commuted??? I'm trying to remember when he had his sentence commuted...either before or after WAD? I'll have to check with my friend in Walla Walla...but from what I know he got commuted to life then died of either a heart attack or cancer anyway...so good ridence to bad rubbish!

Charlie Cambell sat on Wa Death Row for 12 years and cried like a little bitch when they came to take him to the gallows...he started to beg and plead then started to fight them...they pepper sprayed his ass strapped him to a board and hung him anyway...again mosters like them get no sympathy from me...and GLR deserves no better in my book!

now he lives a pathetic existence in an 8x10 cell and is protected every single day, he's fed and clothed on the dimes of his victims families and friends...where is the justice in that?

I am pro death penalty--as long as they have the right murderer. That means if they are convicted on circumstacial evidence--I don't care how hard it is, they should be sentenced to life without parole; because you never know. IMO, if it's just circumstancial there's always a shadow of a doubt.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

You will all appreciate the irony here. We had another serial killer in Spokane. He confessed but 'forgot' about a few in another county. He confessed to a shit load of 'em. He thought his plea deal covered all his killings. It didn't. Only the ones in which he confessed to at the time of the plea deal. So when they settled all of the 'plea deal' cases, the prosecutors from Pierce County went after him again...Doh!
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...byates27m.html

almead85 Guest
    This is a neat site with serial killer cases including green river killer.
    http://www.members.tripod.com/~Vanes...eunsolved.html

xenaswolf Guest
    I know for awhile they were considering giving Rupe a new liver...not sure if that ever happened but boy were folks pissed when that was brought up.

I agree on Dodd, at least he was man enough to take his punishment!

xenaswolf Guest
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitchell_Rupe

Here ya go, he died of liver disease.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    You will all appreciate the irony here. We had another serial killer in Spokane. He confessed but 'forgot' about a few in another county. He confessed to a shit load of 'em. He thought his plea deal covered all his killings. It didn't. Only the ones in which he confessed to at the time of the plea deal. So when they settled all of the 'plea deal' cases, the prosecutors from Pierce County went after him again...Doh!

oh yes I am very familiar with this asshole...he murdered two classmates of my sisters/brothers....the girls boyfriend was blamed for their murder...his families home was burned to the ground with his parents in it!!!! as it turns out this asshole did it~comes to find out that his wife's family were good friends with my neighbors and used to come over for BBQ's (no pork) when I was a kid...from what I know his wifes family still lives in Walla Walla or College Place...I'll have to ask my Aunt the next time we talk...I know they are still looking at him for some other murders as well in different states

Bayou Voodoo Guest

Hey now, I'm a tree hugger and all for the death penalty! Particularly if the method of death matches the way the victims died.

I've always thought that the victim's family should get to decide the fate of the killer....after all, the killer decided the fate of the victim.

tarsier Guest
    I'm with Xenaswolf on this one Ridgeway did some maybe most but was not the only killer dumping. I heard his confession and he was reading numbers not at all like Rader (BTK) where there could be no doubt of personal responsibility. Ridgeway should have fried for what he did but I hate that they stp looking there.

hoxharding Guest
    A writer I knew wrote a manuscript for a killer. I think for awhile they thought he might of been the Geen River Killer(he wasn't)
    I don't recall all the details he told me about the guy's story-but it didn't match.
    The man dragged women behind his truck (I think)
    Then he would torture them and revive them and do that until he finally killed them.
    I saw the tv-movie(haven't read the book yet) But I don't know why they would think he was Green River sicko.
    (sicko yes but no that sucko)

D.HagsHusband Guest

The Capture of the Green River Killer

Lifetime has been showing The Capture of the Green River Killer a few times over the last few days. It's a pretty descent movie. The killer goes around murdering young prostitutes and dumps the bodies in the Green River.

I was just curious if anyone else has seen the movie...

ozzysmom Guest
    What a piece of shit that guy is!!!! But, that cop, I forget his name, started out with brown hair and once that POS was caught he was totally grey (Anderson Cooper, oh baby).
    That cop/detective was completely dedicated to finding Gary Ridgeway, (I believe that's his name). God Bless our brave and diligent (sp?) officers!!!!

gemini33 Guest
    I haven't seen the movie but I've read the Ann Rule book "Green River, Running Red". Its a great read. It really gets into all sides of the story. Ann Rule is a wonderful author.

ozzysmom Guest
    I agree, Ann Rule rules.....lol...sorry, I'm a bit immature at the moment.

Sodapop Guest
    There's also a 2 hour true crime show about this. It's either Dateline or MSNBC reports and it focuses on that one cop who doggedly pursued the GRK.

hoxharding Guest

Merge This Thread

With the new Thread

hoxharding Guest
    Here is the original thread on the Green River Killer and discussion of the tv-movie

http://www.findadeath.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6558

Btw- the man who pursued him became a Congressman.

D.HagsHusband Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    Here is the original thread on the Green River Killer and discussion of the tv-movie

http://www.findadeath.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6558

Btw- the man who pursued him became a Congressman.

Sorry, I promise I looked before posting the thread...

This movie was based on the book written by Dave Reichert (who was the detective featured in the movie). After Ridgway's arrest Reichert then went on to be elected King Co. Sherriff and after that Congressman for the state of WA. This man dedicated his life and career to criminal justice and I think he is a true hero.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

Guest Guest
    I must make a correction though many of his victims were prostitutes many of them were not...not that it should make a difference....some (as in most) were 18 or younger and had problems at home were drop outs or runaways...several of which he befriended with the promise of helping them get jobs and then he killed them...one of his victims was the older sister of a childhood friend of mine, Alma was NOT a prostitute just a 15 year old girl with problems at her home, he raped her and choked the life out of her and every one of his victims...my hope is that Pierce County is able to get him for murders committed here so they can go after him and get the death penalty because as it stands he's got life in prison with no parole because he struck a deal with King County in exchange for taking them to where he put some of his victims

I hope someone pulls a Dahmer on his sorry ass!

I hope someone pulls a Dahmer on his sorry ass![/quote]

Unfortunately he is in what is called a "prison inside a prison" inside Walla Walla for his protection. No one is able to get to him.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

xenaswolf Guest
    If someone wants to kill him bad enough, they will find away to get to him.....

Quote Originally Posted by xenaswolf View Post
    If someone wants to kill him bad enough, they will find away to get to him.....
    We can only hope!
    Wanna see my grandkids?

xenaswolf Guest
    Ok, there was another guy that his brother thought he was the green river killer...and he had lots of stuff to back up his thoughts...here is a link to his page...is it possible that there were two guys killing at the same time? not in concert with each other?

http://www.greenriverkiller.com/Nav.htm

I haven't seen the movie, but if you're interested you should definitely read 'Riverman' by Dr. Robert Keppel, and Tomas Guillen's 'Green River Killer.' Great books!
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by D.HagsHusband View Post
    Sorry, I promise I looked before posting the thread...

Don't worry, it happens to me alot.
    I liked the tv-movie-the only problem I found with it was the main girl
    was fictional. She was merely a device to bring fourth a voice for the victims.
    I have no problem with that, I just have this thing against fictional characters in non-fiction stories.

sassie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    This movie was based on the book written by Dave Reichert (who was the detective featured in the movie). After Ridgway's arrest Reichert then went on to be elected King Co. Sherriff and after that Congressman for the state of WA. This man dedicated his life and career to criminal justice and I think he is a true hero.
    I have to disagree with you.

http://www.antidavereichert.com/greenrivertimeline.htm

From Ann Rule's blog-March 29, 2008:

"The movie about the Green River Case that is going to show Sunday is not made from my book—I want to back away from that as far as possible. This movie was made from ex-Sheriff Dave Reichert’s book, and is mostly about how heroic he was. His book and many of his political speeches have made it sound that he did it all single-handedly. He did not, and the real hard workers in the Green River Case had their stories diminished in his book and are virtually invisible in the TV movie. He gave an interview to a Seattle paper today where he apologizes for the inference that he did it all by himself, and says he has called other detectives to say he’s sorry about how the movie turned out. There are still some hard feelings, as there should be; the guys and women, too, who worked so hard—even during the 7 or 8 years when Reichert wasn’t even working in Homicide—deserved better. Although Reichert is generally believed to be the cop who took a swab from Gary Ridgway’s mouth way back in 1987 and kept it frozen, he didn’t. It was Matt Haney, now Chief of Police on Bainbridge Island, who thought Ridgway was the best suspect. Despite Haney’s insistence, the DNA matching test wasn’t authorized for many years. All I know personally is that I gave talks to raise money for Reichert during his years running for sheriff, and he told me that he would be there to cooperate with me when the GR case was finally solved—that I was the only one who could write the book. He called me on the evening Gary Ridgway was arrested, and then never returned another call I made to him. That kind of shocked me. He denied to everyone that he was writing a book or that he had a movie contract—even though I had learned from good sources that he had contracted to do both. I’m probably grumpy about that because that was the end of my hopes for a Green River movie. Now, his movie is evidently an embarrassment to him. Police work is dependent on cooperation among and between detectives and anyone who claims all the credit isn’t so popular with the rest of the department."

Isn't there a belief that he was responsible for close to 100 murders in Canada? I could have sworn that I read someplace that it was where he was killing during the gap in years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

sunshine74137 Guest
    on no Hanging is still an option...they all have a choice...lethal or hanging if they don't choose then lethal injection is used...Wesley Allen Dodd chose to be hung because he was at least man enough to realize that he needed to be put to death...never thought I would give a child killer credit but I give it to him...he stated that he would escape and kill more children fired his attorney then sued the State of Washington to carry out his execution immediately...I think it was only 45 days or something like that from the time he was sentenced until they actually executed him...he hung the Neher brothers up...he chose hanging because he deserved to die the way he killed them...though he even recognized that it wouldn't be as brutal as to what he did...Rupe was a fat POS who got his sentence commuted to life because it would be "cruel and unusual" to hang his fat ass because he claimed his head would pop off...what made me angry about this was the lethal was the other option...so the State should have just said...calm down buddy we'll stick you instead...but I'll have to dig a bit...maybe lethal didn't come in until after he was commuted??? I'm trying to remember when he had his sentence commuted...either before or after WAD? I'll have to check with my friend in Walla Walla...but from what I know he got commuted to life then died of either a heart attack or cancer anyway...so good ridence to bad rubbish!

Charlie Cambell sat on Wa Death Row for 12 years and cried like a little bitch when they came to take him to the gallows...he started to beg and plead then started to fight them...they pepper sprayed his ass strapped him to a board and hung him anyway...again mosters like them get no sympathy from me...and GLR deserves no better in my book!

now he lives a pathetic existence in an 8x10 cell and is protected every single day, he's fed and clothed on the dimes of his victims families and friends...where is the justice in that?
    Who cares if his head popped off, dead is dead.

sassie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    Isn't there a belief that he was responsible for close to 100 murders in Canada? I could have sworn that I read someplace that it was where he was killing during the gap in years.
    It's been suggested...but there's no evidence that proves Ridgway crossed the border each time. No video or pictures at the border crossing, no paper records, etc. Course, that was pre-911, so he would have only needed a driver's license to cross, but they still would have taken his name down. He could have used a fake ID, though, so who can say? It's just suspicion at this point, and we'll probably never know, unless Ridgway confesses, which isn't likely.

He could well have continued murdering in Seattle during the gap, too. Not every missing girl gets reported, unfortunately.

Sick bastard.

LitaMalibu Guest
    I grew up in Seattle and NEVER thought this guy was going to be caught. Then I walk into work one morning and they "got em". It was a strange sigh, because this was so notorious. Thank DNA testing!!

I had a later co-worker who worked in political camaigns with Ted Bundy and THEN was a neighbor of Gary Ridgeway in Auburmn (a little south of seattle) . What are the odds....

kimba Guest
    [quote=sassie;276485]It's been suggested...but there's no evidence that proves Ridgway crossed the border each time. No video or pictures at the border crossing, no paper records, etc. Course, that was pre-911, so he would have only needed a driver's license to cross, but they still would have taken his name down. He could have used a fake ID, though, so who can say? It's just suspicion at this point, and we'll probably never know, unless Ridgway confesses, which isn't likely.

I think they Vancouver police went and talked to the GreenRiver Task force to see if it was possible, but nothing panned out. Some of the women have been found in other parts of Canada alive...
    As it was, they have Robert Pickton convicted for some of the disappearances from the Lower East side. Body parts were found on his farm...now there's another sick f*@k.
    Apparently they found DNA from many of the women that disappeared...but not enough to charge him with the deaths of all the women whose DNA they found. So- he was charged and convicted for a few...more charges are pending, but since he got several life sentences to run concurrently, the thought is it worth it to tie up more of the public money to go through another trial? Of course, the victims' families say yes- they want closure and who could blame them?
    The first trial concerned the strongest evidence..like heads and hands found in freezers and stuff.
    I don't know what exactly the type of evidence is in the rest of the 24(?)or so pending charges.

Is he the farmer from Coquitlam?
    Wanna see my grandkids?

kimba Guest
    Is he the farmer from Coquitlam?
    ayup.

pig farmer. land worth a mint to developers.
    ground up the remains.

lots of parties at the pig farm...
    often ended with a gift of free ground.. pork.

long pork perhaps??