Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carroll O'Connor

Carroll O'Connor

I don't see a thread on Archie, so here we go:

Now stifle yourself!

in the heat of the night is so classic. love carroll o'connor.

i'll never forget crying my eyes out with him when edith died!!
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

Loooooved Mr. O'Connor in everything he did.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Morbid1 Guest
    He was great!

Loved him in Clint Eastwoods Kelly's Heroes.

Very funny man!

-Morbid1

Snoopy Guest
    Oh I loved him..I do think it was very sad how he seemed to grow so bitter after his son Hugh's death..but I loved him anyway..no character will ever come close to Archie Bunker!

He is in one of my favorite movies, Return to Me! I used to love to watch In The Heat Of The Night.

Favorite AITF episode?

For me, it's the one with Sammy Davis Jr.

Couldn't stand All In The Family - nothing against Carroll, but Edith's voice drove me crazy.

But I LOOOOOVED In the Heat of the Night. That was a classic! After Virgil "left", and Carl Weathers came in, it got no-so-good anymore.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

jay Guest
    I was a big fan of In The Heat Of The Night when it originally aired. Chief Bill Gillespie was my favourite on the show.

Danny62 Guest
    "In the heat of the night" was a great show. It seems anything else he did though I kept thinking of him as Archie. But he seemed to be able to dodge that label on "In the heat of the night."

Does anyone know if they are even showing that on TV right now?

bluebear71 Guest
    I always enjoyed Archie Bunker. Very sad about his personal problems though.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebear71 View Post
    I always enjoyed Archie Bunker. Very sad about his personal problems though.

I wish he would have won when he sued the guy who provided Hugh his drugs.

Is Carroll's body at Westwood or just his marker? I know Hugh's marker is at Westwood but according to findagrave his body is elsewhere?

jay Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post

Does anyone know if they are even showing that on TV right now?

I've seen it on Peachtree TV. Peachtree used to be TBS superstation

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    I've seen it on Peachtree TV. Peachtree used to be TBS superstation

Really...Peachtree TV used to be TBS! WTF!

What kind of name is peachtree TV?

I only remember TBS from the mid 90's when I believe WCW Monday Nitro used to be on it. Yeah I am a FORMER wrestling junkie. LOL

bluebear71 Guest
    I wish he would have won when he sued the guy who provided Hugh his drugs.

Is Carroll's body at Westwood or just his marker? I know Hugh's marker is at Westwood but according to findagrave his body is elsewhere?
    At least his efforts resulted in the Hugh O'Connor memorial law. Its not much, but its a good start,

It has always been my understanding that they were both laid to rest at Westwood. I dunno though.

Danny62 Guest
    At least his efforts resulted in the Hugh O'Connor memorial law. Its not much, but its a good start,

It has always been my understanding that they were both laid to rest at Westwood. I dunno though.
    I never heard about that law...what does it cover? Carroll really believed in what he was doing. I remember seeing him in court about the whole thing once. wasn't Hugh Adopted as well?

Here is what findagrave says about Hugh's remains:

Cremated remains buried at the Church of St. Susanna in Rome, Italy.

It looks like Carroll is buried there though.

bluebear71 Guest
    I never heard about that law...what does it cover? Carroll really believed in what he was doing. I remember seeing him in court about the whole thing once. wasn't Hugh Adopted as well?

Here is what findagrave says about Hugh's remains:

Cremated remains buried at the Church of St. Susanna in Rome, Italy.

It looks like Carroll is buried there though.
    The law basically allows people to sue drug dealers for damages that they can prove were a direct result of the drug dealers involvement. Things like car accidents while intoxicated, suicide with drugs in the system, etc.. It also allows employers to seek restitution from the parties involved for damages, and rehab costs. I don't think it has been too effective thus far but like I said, its a good start.

And yes, Hugh was adopted by Carroll in April 1962. It would stand to reason that he was laid to rest in Rome being that he was born there, but I never read anything definite either.

Carroll's funeral was quite an affair as I understand it and I am fairly sure he was buried at Westwood.

Cathy J. Guest
    Really...Peachtree TV used to be TBS! WTF!

What kind of name is peachtree TV?

I only remember TBS from the mid 90's when I believe WCW Monday Nitro used to be on it. Yeah I am a FORMER wrestling junkie. LOL
    I believe Peachtree TV is only available in Atlanta. I miss the days of the old WTBS 17 and Bill Tush LOL

Over the years I heard that Connor was actually quite liberal, nothing at all like Archie Bunker.

Actually I believe pretty much all of those who appeared on all of Lear's shows were liberal.

Danny62 Guest
    The law basically allows people to sue drug dealers for damages that they can prove were a direct result of the drug dealers involvement. Things like car accidents while intoxicated, suicide with drugs in the system, etc.. It also allows employers to seek restitution from the parties involved for damages, and rehab costs. I don't think it has been too effective thus far but like I said, its a good start.

And yes, Hugh was adopted by Carroll in April 1962. It would stand to reason that he was laid to rest in Rome being that he was born there, but I never read anything definite either.

Carroll's funeral was quite an affair as I understand it and I am fairly sure he was buried at Westwood.
    Thanks for the info on that. Like you said its a start. Yes Carroll is at Westwood I visited him there Last September.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    I believe Peachtree TV is only available in Atlanta. I miss the days of the old WTBS 17 and Bill Tush LOL

Over the years I heard that Connor was actually quite liberal, nothing at all like Archie Bunker.

Actually I believe pretty much all of those who appeared on all of Lear's shows were liberal.
    Yes from what I have seen Carroll is NOTHING like Archie. I can't see any other actor playing Archie.

FYI Carroll O' Connor did test for the part of the skipper in "Gilligan's Island."

20. 03-28-2008, 09:32 PM

jay Guest
    Thanks
    Yes from what I have seen Carroll is NOTHING like Archie. I can't see any other actor playing Archie.

Could you see Jackie Gleason as Archie. He was the first to be offered the role but turned it down.

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest
    Carroll O'Connor was a truely great actor. He will forever be Archie Bunker to me even tho I'm aware of his body of work pre AITF. From what I've read he was the polar opposite of AB. A tribute to his talent. It's hard to pick a favorite AITF episode because there are so many great ones but I always loved when Edith went through menopause and snapped at Archie to "Stifle!!!". LOL that was TOO funny!

RIP Carroll.

lisalouver Guest
    In real life, Carrol was nothing like Archie.

I loved him in All in the Family and it was one of the best comedies ever.

He was one of the only celebs I can recall crying when I heard he died.

RIP Carrol. He and Hugh are together now.

GiantBryan Guest
    Carroll was also a Freemason, and you are correct his part he played were nothing like his real person. He was a great man, and brother
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    In real life, Carrol was nothing like Archie.

I loved him in All in the Family and it was one of the best comedies ever.

He was one of the only celebs I can recall crying when I heard he died.

RIP Carrol. He and Hugh are together now.

RaRaRamona Guest
    I loved him in Heat of the Night. I remember him breaking down during the trial & it was just awful.

Zombiegirl Guest
    I adored Carroll O'Connor. "All in the Family" continues to be one of my favorite shows to this day. I think I've seen all the episodes so many times that I have the lines memorized! Sometimes I use the phrase "dummy up" LOL Many thanks to all of you who contributed to this thread. A lot of these things I did not know about him.

FAD

I have a story on him all ready, it's up to Scott.

Does anyone else here want to see him on FAD?

Zombiegirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kman0072 View Post

I do, I do!!!

All right!

Let's get the ball rolling, dingbats!

Zombiegirl Guest
    LOL!!! LOVE that word!!

lisalouver Guest

I would LOVE to see him on FAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched AITF from the beginning and loved the show. When In The Heat Of The Night started I watched it from the beginning also. It only took about 5 minutes for me not to associate the actor with Archie while watching ITHOTN. He was so good on that show.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SenorMuerto Guest
    I know Mickey Rooney was originally cast to be Archie Bunker. I think he even appeared as Archie in a pilot episode shot.

Guest Guest
    loved him...just something about him reminded me of my dad...no not a bigot...no not a lawman....not even really a resemblance just something about his inflection and the way his jaw would set...whenever I see reruns I think of my dad for that reason and because of watching the show when I was a kid...my dad was archie...not the bigot...but the dingbat! part of archie and my mother is definately edith...still is to this day...like nails on a chalkboard I'll tell ya!

except she sounds more like Wilma Flintstone on Crack...it's still reminiscent of Edith

loved him loved all of this shows...heart broke when he lost his son

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Could you see Jackie Gleason as Archie. He was the first to be offered the role but turned it down.
    Damn I never heard that. But I think Jackie would have done an incredible job of playing Archie!

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest

YES YES!!! Please Scott put Carroll on FAD!

never really cared for the man...
    pull the string!

Forever-27 Guest
    Love him or hate him, Archie Bunker is legendary. They couldnt have ound a better actor to play his role. I didnt like anything else he did but Archie lives !!!! Just like Al Bundy, Archie is one of thoes never forgotton charectors and carroll o connor has gone down in history for his role of Archie. I always loved the show. I hated heat of the night. After edith was killed off tho, All in the Family lost its appeal for me.

I tried to get into Archie Bunkers Place, the spin-off from all in the family but it just didnt have it for me.

djdeath-hag Guest
    When AITF premiered my dad was in Viet Nam.....I remember how my dad would laugh about my eldest brother having written to tell him about the show...."this guy is JUST LIKE you".....Dad never saw it, but it was true in many ways. Of course my old man's vocabulary could never have made it on prime time television, cable perhaps.

My favorite episode was also a serious one I'm not sure of the episode title but it involved Edith being nearly raped in her own home....by a character brilliantly portrayed by the late David Dukes, who I believe was nominated for an Emmy for that role. (I could be mistaken....but he deserved one!)

I was also moved by how driven he was in the wake of Hugh's death. (Which also reminded me of my old man....Dad would have fought to his death to revenge the death of his son....had he not predeceased my brother...the one who proclaimed the similarity between Dad & Archie.

Additionally, while I know that Edith's voice grated on the nerves of some, she reminded me....in voice & actions of one of my great-aunts. I cried over Edith's death just as I did over my Great Aunt Ev's death.

There MUST be a FAD entry for Carrol O'Conner. I'm on board to aid the letter writing grassroots campaign to see him in his rightful place.

(Scott, if you're reading this & have not fallen asleep from my propensity of typing too much under the influence......PLEASE give Carrol his due! )
    Last edited by djdeath-hag; 07-16-2008 at 08:31 PM. Reason: mis-type

Another petition signed!

mel306 Guest
    Put him up Scott!

We want Carroll O'Conner on FAD. Please add him, Scott.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Danny62 Guest
    Yes Scott please add him. I would like to see him on FAD as well.

bluebear71 Guest
    I too would like to see him there.

Forever-27 Guest
    dj ... my favorite episode was where the bunkers had mikes friend over for dinner. He came to New York while fleeing to Canada to get away from the Vietnam war draft. Archie riped him for what he was doing and told him to leave for not being american.

I think the other was when mike and gloria's friend came over and he was gay.

BTW yea, Scott ... add Carroll O Connor to FAD

Danny62 Guest
    I think my favorite episode is were Edith invited some swingers over just thinking they wanted to be friends. LOL

lisalouver Guest
    I have too many fave eppy's to list here, but a couple of things I wanted to mention about All in the Family was how they tackled such sensitve subjects for the time frame. Rape, menopause, hate crimes (when Beverly the cross dresser was murdered) homosexuality, and on and on.

I remember there being many episodes that made me cry. The ones that come right to mind are when Stretch Cunningham died and Archie and Edith went to the funeral and found out he was Jewish. Archie was floored since he always told Jewish jokes. Then he did the eulogy. The other two I always remember are when Gloria and Mike move out to California and Archie sits and cries in his chair. SO sad. And of course, when Edith died.

Danny62 Guest
    You are so right. Alot of sensitive sad shows as well.

The one where Edith died and the one she had gotten raped in were the two saddest for me.

Also the one where Mike's friend who was a draft dodger came to Archie's house for Christmas dinner was a very gripping episode as well.

Some of those shows really made you think.

Forever-27 Guest
    Oops forgot the episode where Ediths sister was a closet lesbian. Nobody knew she was a lesbian ....She owned this nice old tea set. She died and Edith was her last living blood relative so she got it. Archie wanted to sell it and get fast cash but Ediths sisters lesbian lover wanted it. Archie ripped on her for being lesbian and refused to give it to her. But in the end he caved in and gave it to her.

Snoopy Guest
    I have 3 fave's that come to mind..The Rape,Menopause,and when Archie and Sammy Davis shared a cab. and yes Scott..put Carroll on FAD..(No pressure) : )

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Oops forgot the episode where Ediths sister was a closet lesbian. Nobody knew she was a lesbian ....She owned this nice old tea set. She died and Edith was her last living blood relative so she got it. Archie wanted to sell it and get fast cash but Ediths sisters lesbian lover wanted it. Archie ripped on her for being lesbian and refused to give it to her. But in the end he caved in and gave it to her.
    I remember that eppy, but I think it was Edith's cousin, not her sister. I do not ever remember seeing Edith's sisters on any of the shows. This cousin was a teacher.