Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Dexter

When my son and I were watching the scene the first thing he said was that it was a dream. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Nicki Guest
    Still I understand that the Actress that plays Rita hasn't been picked up for next season.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    Still I understand that the Actress that plays Rita hasn't been picked up for next season.
    Nicki I am thinking she is going to join Harry is offering post-humous advice to Dexter. She can continue to Hector him from the grave.
    Regards,
    Mary

If they do that, I wonder what her reaction will be to find out who she was married to?

ColorfulCasey Guest
    I sincerely hope Rita is dead, but I don't think she is! I think after "seeing" her in the tub "dead" he is going to realize what kind of danger he is putting his family in and he's going to leave her. I can only hope!

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    If they do that, I wonder what her reaction will be to find out who she was married to?
    As cranky and naggy as she was in life I suspect.
    "Fine you need to butcher a rapist tonight but don't forget little Harry has a playdate!"
    Regards,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    As cranky and naggy as she was in life I suspect.
    "Fine you need to butcher a rapist tonight but don't forget little Harry has a playdate!"
    Regards,
    Mary
    Ahahaha! Wouldn't she just do that?

Omerta Guest
    Thought you might be interested in the following interview w/ Michael C. Hall after the finale:

EW: What was your first reaction when you learned that Rita [Julie Benz] would be killed in the finale?

MH: I knew what was going to happen probably three or four weeks before it happened. As far as the how, that was much closer to the day of. I thought it was brilliant. I was really proud of the writers, and the network, for not backing away from so bold a step. It really propels us forward in a way that we wouldn??t have enjoyed otherwise. And what it could mean for the character is really wide open.

EW: This twist does open all sorts of possibilities. Will Dexter raise his son as a single dad? And just as he was showing signs of real humanity, does he now turn even darker?

MH: Does he shut the door on that? Is he like, ??Well, it bit me in the a??. My father was right?? And if that??s the conclusion, what does that mean? I don??t necessarily mean to say that that will be the conclusion. It remains to be seen. It??s a difficult thing to wrap your imagination and mind around a trauma that severe. I don??t know what it??s going to do to the guy.

EW: What was it like to film the bathroom scene in which Dexter discovers Rita in the tub with Harrison nearby?

MH: It was tough. The fact is when you watch it, it??s sort of lyrical slo-mo, but the actual shooting of it was much more frantic and to the point. Coming in, seeing this baby in the blood, turning my head, seeing Rita there, realizing what??s happened, picking up the baby, leaving the room ?? it happened much more quickly than [how] the scene plays. But it was horrifying. It??s the kind of thing that only in its aftermath can you begin to deal with. In one way or another, Dexter will be reeling from it for a long time to come. But Julie in that tub was just heartbreaking ?? and the baby on the floor. It was very somber. And also very secretive. Some of the people on set had just gotten pages. So I think everyone was quietly in a private way processing what we were shooting, what this meant for the show, what this meant for Julie.

EW: Executive producer Clyde Phillips said that Julie was ??greatly disappointed? to learn the fate of her character. Did you and Julie talk about that?

MH: We talked about her sadness at leaving, but when it came to the scenes, we knew we had a story to tell and we also didn??t want to do anything to telegraph it ?? not that you possibly could. I think it was beyond Dexter??s imagination that such a thing could happen. The last scene we shot together was the scene where Dexter tells Rita that he wants to believe that he can be his own master and be a master of his compulsion, so it felt like an appropriate way to say goodbye to that relationship?. [Julie] was really sacrificing her job for the story telling vitality of the show. I must say, my first reaction [to the big twist] was about Julie: ??What is our family going to be like without her?? From a story telling standpoint it was a really bold idea, but as far as losing her as a member of ensemble, it was a blow for all of us.

EW: In that last conversation between Dexter and Rita, Dexter seemed as human as we??ve seen him.

MH: Had this season not ended the way it ended, there??s almost a sense that Dexter is entertaining the thought that maybe he??s going to get this out of his system. That if he kills Trinity, who??s left to kill? I think he??s entertaining the notion that maybe he??s done. [But] with this season ending the way it ends ?? and Dexter experiencing this appetite for vengeance that he can??t satiate ?? all bets are off on that front.

EW: What sticks out to you about the scene in which Dexter finally kills Trinity?

MH: It??s a scene that John [Lithgow] and I pretty much knew was coming. We definitely didn??t want the scene in any way to telegraph what Dexter would ultimately discover. We certainly wanted it to be unique among the kills. On the one hand Dexter is killing the most formidable target he??s ever come against, and there??s a sense of victory and pride that goes along with that. And yet while there??s a real repulsion to the Trinity Killer, there??s a simultaneous attraction and appetite for connection that goes throughout their relationship and maybe comes to a head when Dexter tries to get some counsel from him that he can??t receive from anyone else about how to move forward with his life. And just the twisted, everything-turned-on-its-head nature of that kind of plea in the midst of a scene where he??s going to take a hammer claw to the guy??s head was delicious. We tried to navigate all those twists and turns, and have the malice definitely there but not give short shrift to the real appetite for connection and counsel that was alive in Dexter. And of course for John it was the way he played what is revealed to be a double meaning through a lot of what he??s saying to Dexter was really fun for him, and obviously tremendously effective in his hands.

EW: What did you like most about the Trinity-Dexter relationship?

MH: Certainly the Trinity killer storyline went a long way in creating a sense of intrigue. He was without question the most formidable foe or target that Dexter had ever encountered, so that vitalized Dexter??s fundamental need to kill? I loved the levels of it ?? the subtextual levels, the fact that Dexter was presenting himself as something other than who he actually is, with the full knowledge that the Trinity Killer was doing the same, and yet there were still so many secrets for Dexter to uncover about Trinity. There were always things to be learned and these layers of intrigue beneath the surface. John and I had such a great time playing those scenes. He??s just so incredibly talented, nuanced in his work, intelligent, and he brings such a genuine sense of play to the table. I think he had a blast doing the show and really infected all of us with a sense of play and enthusiasm.

EW: Looking back at the season, what was your favorite scene?

MH: That??s a tough one? but that Thanksgiving episode was like the worst Thanksgiving ever captured on film. And it went horribly wrong [so] quickly. Obviously the son??s finger was broken and the daughter had hit on Dexter and the mother had been okay with it. A lot of seeds were planted. When we sat at that table and he said, ??Shut up, c??,? to his wife ?? I mean, within thirty seconds I??ve got him on the floor with a knife saying, ??I should have f??ing killed you when I had the chance!? That was a lot of fun. As far as the giddy laughter goes, it was probably higher that day than ever. We were just like, ??This is so insane!? We had a really good time that day.

EW: How many more seasons of Dexter can there be?

MH: We??re definitely going to do one more ?? beyond that, I don??t know. This show is as popular as it??s ever been and I??m sure there??s a desire on the network??s part to keep that ball rolling, but I take these things one episode at a time?. This thing can??t go on indefinitely, and yet it??s gone on in ways that I never could have imagined, so I would like to believe that it can continue.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/...-talks-finale/

Omerta Guest

'Dexter' finale postmortem

Ran across another interview with Clyde Phillips, Executive Producer:

When was the decision made to kill off Rita?

CLYDE PHILLIPS: I would say we made the decision pretty late in the season. We didn??t quite know what we were going to do [in the finale].

Why Rita?

PHILLIPS: The story evolved and it kind of became inevitable. We knew that we had to do more than kill Trinity. It??s a little bit of a corner that we paint ourselves into. Last year we tried to avoid that and actually I think we didn??t do as well as we could have. We killed off Jimmy Smits?? character [in the 11th episode] of 12 episodes and then we had to figure out what we were going to do in the 12th episode. This season, we knew that we were going to take Trinity out in the 12th episode and we think that the audience knew that, too. We had to raise the bar to as high as possible and then figure out what to do next year.

How did Julie Benz take the news that she was leaving the show?

PHILLIPS: She wasn??t happy. She loved being with us. We loved having her with us. She took it? professionally. She was greatly disappointed. She??s a professional. She works in television. She knew that this was a possibility.

Did Trinity tell Rita about Dexter before he killed her?

PHILLIPS: I don??t know the answer to that question. We haven??t talked about next season. But [my gut says] I would think that he did not tell her.

Might she return as a ghost like Dex??s dad?

PHILLIPS: The answer, at the moment, is no. However, had you asked me two years ago if Lundy was coming back I would??ve said no. We didn??t know he was coming back until this year. It just seemed expedient to the story ?? to Dexter??s story and to Deb??s story.

Some people thought the game-changing twist was going to involve Deb figuring out that Dexter is a serial killer. How much longer can you stretch out that story before you pay it off?

PHILLIPS: We??ve bounced that around the [writers'] room. But once we do that? want to talk about game-changers? Once we do that, the game is changed in a way that we just don??t know how to anticipate just yet.

Will next season be about Dexter juggling serial killing and single fatherhood?

PHILLIPS: He is a single father. But, beyond that, we don??t know. We don??t know if there??s going to be what we call ??a Big Bad,? like Jimmy Smits and John Lithgow, or if it??s going to be more individual, stand-alone stories.

I understand you wrote two endings to throw people off. What was the other ending?

PHILLIPS: While Dexter was packing to leave, he saw on the television that a child murderer had just escaped from prison. Either escaped or fallen thru the cracks. So he??s thinking, ??Do I join Rita on vacation or do I?? and then he looks towards the camera and he has this big decision.

That would??ve been disappointing.

PHILLIPS: [Laughs] Yeah. Compared to this? Are you kidding?

Is Rita really dead?

CLYDE PHILLIPS: Yes.

Is Trinity really dead?

PHILLIPS: Yes. Cut up and drifting in the Gulf Stream.

Did Trinity kill Rita?

PHILLIPS: Yes he did. That??s partly what he meant when he said: ??It??s already over.?

My readers are pointing out a potential timeline inconsistency: Trinity left Miami while it was still light out, yet in the message Rita left Dexter she commented about how beautiful the moon was that night.

PHILLIPS: Your readers are smarter than we are. Totally missed it. Honest mistake. [Aus here: Turns out the honest mistake was mine. As this clip confirms, Rita actually told Dex that the moon "is going to" be beautiful, thereby eliminating any potential inconsistency. You're off the hook, Clyde! Me and my readers? Not so much.]

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/12/...le-postmortem/

STsFirstmate Guest
    Omerta, great post! Next year should be interesting.
    Regards,
    Mary

BTW folks, yours truly made seeing stars.com, Dexter season 4!!! The guy who runs the site credited me with helping him find several of the locations!!!

http://www.seeing-stars.com/Dexter/index4.shtml

BTW, I'm trying sooo hard not to read the spoilers on this thread...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    BTW folks, yours truly made seeing stars.com, Dexter season 4!!! The guy who runs the site credited me with helping him find several of the locations!!!

BTW, I'm trying sooo hard not to read the spoilers on this thread...
    Very cool! and we can say we knew you when!!!!.....I doubt I could resist the spoilers.
    Regards,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post

Yay Morty!

hoxharding Guest
    Michael C. Hall has Hodgkins Lymphona(however it is spelled) and is being treated for it

Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    Michael C. Hall has Hodgkins Lymphona(however it is spelled) and is being treated for it
    Yikes... hope all goes well for him...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My prayers are with him. That is a vicious cancer.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Bummer! I wish him well!
    Regards,
    Mary

I just read about the cancer early this morning, but he must be a lot better because is going to at least two awards shows in the coming days.

Did Barry Watson (Matt of Seventh Heaven) have Hodgkins? His went into remission and as far as I know he is doing fine.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Perdi Guest
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8459524.stm

Just found this on BBC News site. Looks like he may have been ill for a while as he is now in remission, so that's good news!

Quote Originally Posted by Perdi View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8459524.stm

Just found this on BBC News site. Looks like he may have been ill for a while as he is now in remission, so that's good news!
    Yeah, he was and kept it quiet.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebird14 View Post
    Guys, aparently someone significant is supposed to DIE at the end of the season...

Who do you think it will be?

I kind of hope its Julie Benz. She expects dexter to work days and take care of the baby nights. Um, when is he supposed to sleep?!? And, I think she isnt giving Dexter any time to himself, which is important in any good marriage.
    I am SO happy I am not the only one who really hated her!! Ugh so whiny & demanding! I hated how she would make him do everything while she slept. Yes, she's a mom of three but she didn't even have a job.

I also really really HATED Lila! She was so annoying & I wanted to use a scalpel to slice those trout lips off her face.

::ahem:: Sorry, I just watch two seasons of Dexter so I a am little more violent than usual.

And since I'm on that subject, what the heck did Julie Benz do to her face?? She looked drastically different from season three.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebird14 View Post
    LOL I liked Doakes too. He was funny in a way.
    I couldn't stand that guy. I was glad when he died. Sorry again!

Quote Originally Posted by ColorfulCasey View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks Rita's death scene was a dream sequence? The lighting in the scene looked like a dream. And how did all the blood get on the floor by the baby? Sorry, but it looks like a dramatic dream sequence. I wish it was real though because listening to Rita bitch is like nails on a chalkboard.
    I believe she's really dead. And she's not only merely dead, she's really most sincerely dead.

Anyone who tries to pull a dream sequence death as a cliff hanger has jumped the shark, after Dallas.

Love it!! I can't wait to see that.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Oh yeah & could Quin really have been that stupid? Why couldn't he see through that idiotic reporter? That drove me crazy.

I rather liked seeing Luke's daughter from Gilmore Girls all grown up (almost) as Trinity's daughter. Creepy when hse came on to Dex!!

And since I'm on that subject, what the heck did Julie Benz do to her face?? She looked drastically different from season three.
    Yeah, I noticed that too! It may be just our imaginations but I'm wondering if we won't find her on that bad plastic surgery site if we look. Hmm...

RaRaRamona Guest
    Yeah, I noticed that too! It may be just our imaginations but I'm wondering if we won't find her on that bad plastic surgery site if we look. Hmm...
    Oh but I did look. LOL All they talked about were her lips. Her face looks thinner & more angular & her nose is more pronounced. She's always been thin, so that can't explain it away.

Yep, you're right. She's always been a rail. The lips though, definitely. You know she had to have got those done.

*Runs off to look.

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    Oh yeah & could Quin really have been that stupid? Why couldn't he see through that idiotic reporter? That drove me crazy.

I rather liked seeing Luke's daughter from Gilmore Girls all grown up (almost) as Trinity's daughter. Creepy when hse came on to Dex!!
    Trinity"s youngest daughter is a regular on Young and Restless.

Very strained look to her now. And what's with the eyebrows? Eyelift? The excess eye mascara looks like an attempt to hide it, even if she didn't have one (if that makes sense). Whatever happened there, she's got that whole sucking lemons thing going on for her now.

My husband said she looks like she's pulling a wagon.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ppepper View Post
    Trinity"s youngest daughter is a regular on Young and Restless.
    Aw sweet.

My husband said she looks like she's pulling a wagon.
    LOL Ew

Coffee addict Guest
    Did anyone see that Michael C Hall and John Lithgow won Golden Globes for their roles on Dexter? I was so happy for them.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee addict View Post
    Did anyone see that Michael C Hall and John Lithgow won Golden Globes for their roles on Dexter? I was so happy for them.

They deserve it!!!

The new season's almost here, yay! It starts 9/26. Here's the trailer: http://www.sho.com/site/dexter/home.do

My source has told me that a funeral scene for season five was shot at this gorgeous, historic church here in town:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...&v=wall&ref=ts

Check out the pics, amazing. It was part of my historic downtown walking tour. Unfortunately with my change in work place, I haven't been out driving as much so I haven't seen as much Dexter filming as last year My source also confirmed that there hasn't been nearly as much filming in this end of town anyhow. Season four filmed so frequently here last summer you couldn't swing a cat without hitting a Dexter film site. I'm finally catching up on season 4, I cannot stand Rita. I think if I were married to her
    I'd a drove a scalpel into that plasticized face ages ago. Not only does she make him do everything, but she was way too hard on him in my opinion for keeping the apartment. I think she has some self esteem issues there.

On a side note, in episode 5 of season 4, right after LaGuerta finds out she has to transfer her boy toy, you see Dexter driving around. You see him turn, and he passes a burger joint and a gym that's down the street from work. I recognized it instantly but still had to do a double and triple take. There is a carwash across the street that we take all our work vehicles too, so I see that side of the burger joint frequently.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

stacebabe Guest
    The new season can't start soon enough! Really not looking forward to another year of Annoying Astor. Hopefully the grandparents come and take her and Cody away. I re-watched Seasons 1 + 2 recently, and I miss that Rita. I won't miss the Rita of Seasons 3 + 4, but I will miss the awesome Rita of seasons 1+2.

cannot stand Rita. I think if I were married to her
    I'd a drove a scalpel into that plasticized face ages ago.
    Wouldn't you just? I think Dexter's deal was, he didn't realize she was being demanding, needy, etc., because he knows so little about how marriage works. So he'd just do whatever she wanted to appear normal to Rita, the kids and the rest of the world.

Really not looking forward to another year of Annoying Astor
    Yeah, I think she definitely takes after her mother that way.

Oh and I wanted to mention that I found out yesterday there's a new Dexter book out. It's called 'Dexter is Delicious'. I got it free (well kinda/sorta since I pay a small, monthly membership for this. But the fee is less than half the price of the hardcover edition new, so it's still a good deal) from my audio bookclub. That reminds me, guess I'd better boot into Windows and download that sucker now that I've got it. Where are my headphones?

Here's the synopsis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_is_Delicious

The new book is far better than the godawful "demon possesion" one.
    Slight Spoiler: Someone from Dexter's past shows back up. I said, "Thought _____ was dead?" My son rolled his eyes and said, "On TV, mom. Not in books!"

Crazy Cat Lady Guest
    I may have to read the latest book. I was put off by the "possession" one, too.

I'm about halfway through _Dexter Is Delicious_ (love that my Kindle got it delivered directly on the 7th when it was released). I think it's one of the better ones so far, but Rita is her usual flightly, inconsistent self. Dexter's genuine bafflement of what makes her tick makes her interactions with Dexter more amusing than annoying, though. Love the reemergence of a person from Dexter's past, and the crimes are particularly interesting and grim!

I'm also looking forward to seeing the new season, and how Dexter is gonig to cope as a single dad to all three kids. Talk about a big game-changer! I also hope they put more of the book Cody and Astor angle in the series; this season would be the perfect time to introduce it!

I also hope they put more of the book Cody and Astor angle in the series; this season would be the perfect time to introduce it!
    It would!

LOVE LOVE LOVE Dexter!!! I cannot wait till the new season starts! I have never been able to delete the season finale from my Tivo cause it was too good lol. That ending for me was so shocking. My only gripe is that the seasons are too short!

I've just recently jumped on the Dexter train. We're watching it on Xbox live I think. We just watched season 1.

So I see Rita doesn't change in being a passive aggressive douchette.

Quote Originally Posted by okidoll View Post
    So I see Rita doesn't change in being a passive aggressive douchette.
    No she doesn't change, lol, you just start hating her more and more.

I finished the audiobook the other day. Loved it! I think it'd be great if they added more of the dark humor from the books into the show. Granted there is some. But I think the show could do with a bit more.

And I see I've got another credit sitting in my audiobook account. Yep, I believe I'll pick up another one I haven't read yet. All of your reviews of the demon possession book tell me it shouldn't be that one though, lol.

stacebabe Guest
    I just canceled my HBO and renewed my Showtime.....Come on Sunday!!!!!

Oh, and I love how they used the music from "Requiem for a Dream" in this clip. That music is so haunting!

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...d=586429101001
    Last edited by stacebabe; 09-21-2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Added link

I can't wait till Sunday!! Gotta see me some Micheal C Hall again, love him!!

stacebabe Guest
    For some ungodly reason, I woke up at 4am this morning. What does one do at 4am when they just renewed their Showtime? They watch Dexter on Demand, of course.

One thing I noticed....On the season 5 trailer, Quinn says to Matzuka, "Trinity ever kill a married woman in a bathtub before?" Matzuka says, "First time for everything." That's actually not true....In the 2nd episode of Season 4, Deb interviews a guy who was found guilty of murdering his wife in a bathtub, when it was actually Trinity that did it.

Great observation Stacebabe!
    I am really curious how single dad Dex is going to work. Maybe the kids will eventually be shipped off to live with grandparents? Poor Aster and Cody are orphaned.

stacebabe Guest
    My biggest hope for Astor if she doesn't go and live with her grandparents is she develops laryngitis. God that girl is annoying!

YES she has always had a bratty attitude. She needed a good whoopin in a few episodes last season lol.

Geez, having Rita's mom raise them might turn them into the book versions of Astor and Cody.