Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Dexter

hoxharding Guest
    You can read the books and watch the tv series and not be spoiled. In fact, that way you get two Dexter series!=)
    Btw- supposedly Michael C. Hall is dating his tv sister played by Jennifer Carpenter.

Quote Originally Posted by amaranthaseven View Post
    I've gotten strangely addicted to "The Tudors" after resisting watching it. It's not just the constant sex , I actually love the political wheelings and dealings, too. The fact that there are just loads of gorgeous men and women in the show doesn't hurt.
    I haven't seen that one. Saw the ads for it though.

Have you seen that Californication thingy? I can't figure out what all the fuss is about with that one honestly. I think the total draw of that one must be David Duchovny.

I can't decide if I like season one or two of Dexter better. Without giving anything away (because some folks haven't seen season two yet), I'd have to say that I like the plot development of season one and the character development of season two the best.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post

Have you seen that Californication thingy? I can't figure out what all the fuss is about with that one honestly. I think the total draw of that one must be David Duchovny.

I can't decide if I like season one or two of Dexter better. Without giving anything away (because some folks haven't seen season two yet), I'd have to say that I like the plot development of season one and the character development of season two the best.
    There is something to be said for getting to look at David Duchovny... no doubt about that.

I adore David Duchovny, but I haven't been tempted to watch Californication. Something about it just does not appeal to me. Maybe from your reaction, it's good I've avoided it. There are only so many hours in the day after all!

I get what you're saying about season one and two of Dexter, and I think you're on to something. The whole Ice Truck Killer storyline was riveting, but the characters were very strong season two. I even got to like Deb, who I found a little clingy in the first season, in the second season.

smooches27 Guest
    I heart Dexter. I just finished watching the first season and can't wait for season 2 to come out on DVD.

marimbagirl Guest
    You can buy the entire second season on iTunes. I think it's suppose to be coming out at the end of summer on DVD in time for the release of the new season on Showtime.

New season starts September 30!

hotmama Guest
    i watched dexter on television for the first time last week. it is on channel 2 in my neck of the woods. i never saw dexter on showtime. being as that i have netflix, i ordered the first season and others as well. i received the first dvd. as i was watching i was like "oh damn" i just saw this one but i was wrong. i watched all five episodes and guess what?? all they did was take bits and pieces form each show and piece them together to make a hour long show on channel 2. by 11pm i knew who the ice truck murderer was. but after watching all five episodes they were not even close to finding the ice truck murderer.i was very disappointed at channel 2 and i know it was probably not their fault and that it had to be done in that way. but i will not be watching dexter on channel 2 anymore. i just can't wait for the next dvd's to arrive.

RaRaRamona Guest
    I love this show! I just now got caught up. I've had them recorded but no time to watch (can't watch them until little one goes to bed.)

marimbagirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hotmama View Post
    i watched dexter on television for the first time last week. it is on channel 2 in my neck of the woods. i never saw dexter on showtime. being as that i have netflix, i ordered the first season and others as well. i received the first dvd. as i was watching i was like "oh damn" i just saw this one but i was wrong. i watched all five episodes and guess what?? all they did was take bits and pieces form each show and piece them together to make a hour long show on channel 2. by 11pm i knew who the ice truck murderer was. but after watching all five episodes they were not even close to finding the ice truck murderer.i was very disappointed at channel 2 and i know it was probably not their fault and that it had to be done in that way. but i will not be watching dexter on channel 2 anymore. i just can't wait for the next dvd's to arrive.
    Well, it really depends on how they portrayed the season. Half way through season 1, you knew who the ITK was and the rest of the season was the build up to how they were going to catch him. 5 episodes seems like you got gipped.

Season 2 was more of a nailbiter the entire way through it and wasn't really neatly tied together until the last episode.

The thing about the CBS version of Dexter, when he finally went to bed with Rita, they cut out how intense he was with her in the sack. This was kind of an important aspect to his character evolution... (and pretty damn sexy too) also it was why he asked her if she was freaked out the next morning.

Showtime.com has 3 graphic novel episodes called the Dark Defender, but they relate to season 2... they are very cool. I don't remember if they give anything away though... I just remember they were cool.

marimbagirl Guest
    I think the graphic novels just added more detail to Dexter's imaginary character. I don't think they actually gave much away.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hidium View Post
    The thing about the CBS version of Dexter, when he finally went to bed with Rita, they cut out how intense he was with her in the sack. This was kind of an important aspect to his character evolution... (and pretty damn sexy too) also it was why he asked her if she was freaked out the next morning.
    Yeah that was weird, that he asked of he freaked her out. I was kind of lost.

marimbagirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    Yeah that was weird, that he asked of he freaked her out. I was kind of lost.
    I haven't watched it on CBS, but the whole freaking out thing can go two ways. One, he might be worried that his actions would freak her out. Two, he might be worried that she's freaked out because of the whole thing that happened between her and Paul. I don't know how much of the relationship they've censored out.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marimbagirl View Post
    I haven't watched it on CBS, but the whole freaking out thing can go two ways. One, he might be worried that his actions would freak her out. Two, he might be worried that she's freaked out because of the whole thing that happened between her and Paul. I don't know how much of the relationship they've censored out.
    I understand if he acted in a way that might be considered weird during sex. They didn't show any of that though so I was confused. I'll probably rent season two when it comes out.

It was probably a bit of both. He was somewhat agressive with her, in a hot way, (he let the wolf out, as the shrink suggested) but to someone who had been in a really bad relationship and had sort of given up on men, the sex might have been considered kind of rough. But they had established that she trusted him to be her lover and was ready to go for it in earlier episodes.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Just caught this on TV tonight for the first time.
    Loved it.
    Like to see the unedited ones tho.
    Probably going to be my new fav, wish i hadn't looked at Wiki, filled with spoilers.

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    I rented the first season from work, and I gotta be honest...Only one episode into it and I'm having a rough time pushing myself to watch more.

I'm totally willing to like it...but the first episode left me feeling kind of...meh..about it.

All you Dexter fans? Is this a common reaction?

Quote Originally Posted by Boxofpandoraz View Post
    I rented the first season from work, and I gotta be honest...Only one episode into it and I'm having a rough time pushing myself to watch more.

I'm totally willing to like it...but the first episode left me feeling kind of...meh..about it.

I would have to say, I found it more and more addicting as the plot picked up. The serial killer plotline really picks up as the season gets going, and there are more twists and turns per episode. That, and a few of the characters really grew on me. They do a great job keeping them quirky but consistent. I'd say give it until around episode five, then give up if it isn't your cuppa. That's my advice, anyway! I'm not sure I was completely sold on the first couple of shows, but now I'm completely addicted.

marimbagirl Guest

Give it time. It gets better.

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    Thanks for the advice, all! I'll make myself some lunch and delve back in. I really am willing to like it! I just didn't get...hooked...like I have with my other shows in that first episode.

I'll let ya know how I feel after a few more!

RaRaRamona Guest
    I just watched the finale today. It was awesome. I think I'll rent the second season b/c I can't wait & I don't want it to be spoiled for me. But of course, then I'll have to wait extra long for season three...

So I kept thinking the big secret was that Dex killed his parents. Then when they established that didn't happen & kept making such a big deal out of the length of time he was in there, I though he must have eaten some of the dead people or something. I mean, what could have been sooo horrible?? I'm glad it wasn't that.

hotmama Guest
    dexter was the bomb!! i saw season 1 on dvd. that last episode was off the hook. that was mean how the ice truck killer was dexter's biological bro who wanted to kill dexter's sister. dexter's girlfriend has been acting fool since she met him. she asked the man at the kids school if he was retarded and what the fuck was wrong with him. becaus he let the kids go with her jailbird ex. she hit ex hubby with a bat for trying to take the goods. dexter fixed ex hubby lovely. he was causing too many problems so dex had to handle that. season 2 comes out on dvd in september.

sunshine74137 Guest
    Read all the books, watched both runs- Showtime and CBS. It's creepy, In the books Rita's kids turn out to be serial killers in the making and Dexter starts to train them just like his dad trained him. Keep the tradition alive! Boy Rita would shit.

marimbagirl Guest
    This is starting on the show too! I think next season is going to focus on this.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine74137 View Post
    Read all the books, watched both runs- Showtime and CBS. It's creepy, In the books Rita's kids turn out to be serial killers in the making and Dexter starts to train them just like his dad trained him. Keep the tradition alive! Boy Rita would shit.

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine74137 View Post

I liked the scene inone of the books where the kids pouted because Dexter wouldn't take them to help him murder someone.

hoxharding Guest
    Buzz up!
    Portugal took a new approach to TV show promotion with their guerrilla campaign for the second series of Dexter. Inspired by the blood theme of the series and murderous plot, the creatives had lots of gory ideas to implement in the campaign.

The press kit that media received consisted of four unique campaign ideas such as a clever publicity stunt in which promoters were sent out to walk or crawl on the streets of Lisbon as if somebody had stabbed them in the back. Original!

Another campaign included a kitchen wrapping kit with personalized text on the box reading, “Dexter’s wrapping paper, due to its impermeability and adhesion keeps the victim well wrapped and the floor free of blood splatter. Avoiding leaving clues and traces of any crimes.”

This a good example of how advertising can get juicy if you look and take the right details from the brand personality you promote.

Check out some more Dexter ads:

Human Arms in Butcher Shops - Dexter Guerrilla Campaign II
    (TREND HUNTER) The promo ads for the series Dexter seem to get more gory by the second. The show is about a hero/antihero, serial killer who murders his victims (he only kills the bad guys) and then chops them up. As… [More]

Bloody Urinals as Advertising - Dexter Guerrilla Campaign (VIDEO)
    (TREND HUNTER) Public bathrooms are becoming an increasingly popular target for advertising. The latest is a guerrilla bathroom campaign to promote the second season of Dexter on the FX channel in Portugal. The campaign… [More]
    http://www.trendhunter.com/photos/20320
    Last edited by hoxharding; 06-27-2008 at 07:13 PM.

That's wild... Just think, if you wanted to commit a real crime, you could pretend it was Dexter publicity! Perfect way to get rid of a bothersome boss. I'm sure they would meet Harry's code, I know my last boss did.

hoxharding Guest

Human Arms in Butcher Shops - Dexter Guerrilla Campaign II [SIZE=2][Edit][/SIZE]

The promo ads for the series Dexter</A itxtvisited="1"> seem to get more gory by the second. The show is about a hero/antihero, serial killer who murders his victims (he only kills the bad guys) and then chops them up.
    As evidence of that, refer to this guerrilla ad campaign concocted by the Kitchen agency to raise the profile of the series in Madrid, Spain.
    As part of that marketing campaign, faux dismembered arms with a little sign stuck in them that says, “Dexter” have been planted among the meat in butcher shops throughout Madrid.
    This line of marketing is very effective because it has a very high shock value. But it is still damn bizarre.
    Uploaded by firat

Public bathrooms are becoming an increasingly popular target for advertising. The latest is a guerrilla bathroom campaign to promote the second season of Dexter on the FX channel in Portugal.
    The campaign uses a blood-red dye in urinals to produce a

Can you imagine using campaigns like this in the U.S.? People would be suing left and right for mental anguish or whatever they call it, and "how dare you expose my children to this", etc. Madrilenos are made of sterner stuff, and obviously the Portuguese! Awesome! I miss Madrid. Lived there as a student in the 1980's.

Season 2 of Dexter comes out on DVD - August 19th!

pvezz Guest
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE this show!!! We rented Season 1 on Netflix and ended up ordering Showtime just to watch Season Two!

I don't wanna be a spoiler, but is anyone else surprised at how the ITK case was closed, ie surprised at the person they ended up blaming it on? I was SHOCKED!

hoxharding Guest
    More Dexter fun! Put your friends on the Dexter 'hitlist'
    www.thedexterhitlist.com
    www.fxuk.com/dexter
    and
    http://www.thedexterhitlist.com/sendon.php

*Last link sends you right to the prank.=)

Here's a pic of a bridge used in the 1st season episode where Dexter and Dokes were driving along and Dokes suddenly jumps out and shooting at some guy. It's by the mother's beach here in Long Beach. Took the kiddo there a few weeks ago and took a pic of the bridge.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

That's really cool! Wasn't it Dokes and the cool Cuban guy who always wears the hat? (His name escapes me for some reason)... Dexter did the blood work proving that he fired at the guy from a different position than Dokes said he did... pissed Dokes off.

That's really cool! Wasn't it Dokes and the cool Cuban guy who always wears the hat? (His name escapes me for some reason)... Dexter did the blood work proving that he fired at the guy from a different position than Dokes said he did... pissed Dokes off.

Yup, my bad, it was Doakes and Angel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Angel! That's it... I'm losing my memory. I should have remembered his name. Thanks!

Bozarth Guest
    I love this show. 3rd season in September! woohoo!

I watched each season on a marathon. I couldn't stop watching.

Coffee addict Guest
    I LOVE me some Dexter, I got hooked on the second season when it was on Showtime, and then I went bought the first season to catch up. REALLY good series and not too bloody/gory......

Quote Originally Posted by Bozarth View Post
    I love this show. 3rd season in September! woohoo!

I watched each season on a marathon. I couldn't stop watching.
    I've watched it on Showtime since the beginning... so I'm REALLY looking forward to the 3rd season!!!!

They keep showing the same two commercials on Showtime for the upcoming season of Dexter. Ack! The site finally has something new to look at though. Yay!

http://www.sho.com/site/dexter/comic_con.do

They keep showing the same two commercials on Showtime for the upcoming season of Dexter. Ack! The site finally has something new to look at though. Yay!

http://www.sho.com/site/dexter/comic_con.do
    Cool link, SomeChick! Thank you!

There's some cool merchandise, too. I need a Dexter mug and a Dexter bobble head!

I love the opening credits of Dexter, specifically the juxtaposition of food and elements of an autopsy. Ham and eggs....yummmmmm.....

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Anyone else get a Gay-dar reading from Dexter? I know he played a Gay man in Six Feet Under, but even him playing a straight guy on Dexter, I still get those "readings".

I've heard he's straight and married in real life...but you never know...

I read on wikipedia, for what that is worth, that he's actually getting a divorce from his wife--and banging the woman who plays his sister on the show!

I just finished Season 2. I love the show, I can't wait for Season 3.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE this show!!! We rented Season 1 on Netflix and ended up ordering Showtime just to watch Season Two!

I don't wanna be a spoiler, but is anyone else surprised at how the ITK case was closed, ie surprised at the person they ended up blaming it on? I was SHOCKED!
    I watched the whole Season 2 in one weekend, so it went faster than say if I was watching it weekly. I have mixed feelings on how the season ended, part of me was amazed at the events, other part, it was a too-easy, too fast cop-out, pun intended. I hated how it was resolved with the new brunette, seemed fake and tagged on. I was glued to the screen, however.

What the heck will happen in Season 3??

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by amaranthaseven View Post

Deb sort of grew on me season two. She's twice as neurotic, and she drops the "f" bomb and other obscenities in just about every sentence. At least she kind of knows she's nuts, which keeps her from being irritating. I liked the last show of season two; like season one, it manages to tie up all the plot lines from the whole season in a really satisfying way while still leaving you feeling edgy!
    !
    She's grown on me too. She's feisty.

I like when she says to Dexter, "Are you going to F*** her or light her on fire?" when he had all those candles lit in his bedroom....
    That was hilarious. She has the best lines. Or should I say, the best whines?

Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    You can read the books and watch the tv series and not be spoiled. In fact, that way you get two Dexter series!=)
    Btw- supposedly Michael C. Hall is dating his tv sister played by Jennifer Carpenter.
    eeeeewwwwww

Thanks for the advice, all! I'll make myself some lunch and delve back in. I really am willing to like it! I just didn't get...hooked...like I have with my other shows in that first episode.

I'll let ya know how I feel after a few more!
    Well what did you think?

This is starting on the show too! I think next season is going to focus on this.
    I didn't notice any of that in seasons one or two.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaDeathHag View Post
    I watched the whole Season 2 in one weekend, so it went faster than say if I was watching it weekly. I have mixed feelings on how the season ended, part of me was amazed at the events, other part, it was a too-easy, too fast cop-out, pun intended. I hated how it was resolved with the new brunette, seemed fake and tagged on. I was glued to the screen, however.

What the heck will happen in Season 3??
    I watched them on dvd & I was so surprised when I put in the last dvd & it was the finale!

xenaswolf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bellafreud View Post
    I love the opening credits of Dexter, specifically the juxtaposition of food and elements of an autopsy. Ham and eggs....yummmmmm.....

I love the show now. It took a few episodes but I just can NOT watch the opening credits. OMG I almost barf every time. I don't know why really. But that damn blood orange he eats sends me out of the room every time.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xenaswolf View Post
    I love the show now. It took a few episodes but I just can NOT watch the opening credits. OMG I almost barf every time. I don't know why really. But that damn blood orange he eats sends me out of the room every time.
    For me it's him pulling on his shirt - I hate that look on his face, & the shirt jerks his lip...ugh I hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    For me it's him pulling on his shirt - I hate that look on his face, & the shirt jerks his lip...ugh I hate it.
    Oh, good, I'm not the only one creeped out by the opening credits
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I don't like the music or the bug. I can't watch the opening either, I have to skip it.