Page 1 of 12 12310 ... LastLast

Thread: Dexter

RaRaRamona Guest

Dexter

Is anyone watching it on network? I wonder how gruesome it is on Showtime. Sex & the City didn't change all that much with the editing, & everyone thought it would be ruined. I am curious about Dexter.

Deathgoddess Guest
    I only watched it on Showtime and i was wondering how well it would translate to regular TV. Are you enjoying it?

RaRaRamona Guest
    I really am. I am not loving the sis but maybe I'll get used to looking at her.

It's like something we all think about but no one would ever do. The thought process if just astounding. Everything has a plan & reason. I love it.

Deathgoddess Guest
    Yeah, she is kind of a bad actor, but she gets a little easier to handle. My hubby and i got the first season on DVD and we watched about 8 hours straight one day! It is so addictive. I love how the black cop doesn't trust him, and his inner monolouge is so funny

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoddess View Post
    Yeah, she is kind of a bad actor, but she gets a little easier to handle. My hubby and i got the first season on DVD and we watched about 8 hours straight one day! It is so addictive. I love how the black cop doesn't trust him, and his inner monolouge is so funny
    LOL yeah he's perfect. One of my favorite lines on the series so far is when he's thinking to himself that of all the policemen, all the detectives, all the attorneys he works with that's the only guy who gets the creeps from him.

I got the first season on DVD. I don't get Showtime, so I'm just patiently awaiting the release of season 2 on DVD.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I got the first season on DVD. I don't get Showtime, so I'm just patiently awaiting the release of season 2 on DVD.
    It takes forEVER doesn't it?

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    This is a show I'm curious about...It's my inner Death Hag rivalry that gets me every time.

Mind if I ask a couple questions about it?

1) Just HOW gruesome is it? Blood and guts wise? I'm the world's biggest chicken when it comes to slasher movies, yet I can look at crime scene pictures and that just fine. I think it's the element of surprise in horror movies that freaks me out.

2) If I can handle shows such as Bones, or CSI...Can I handle this one?

I'd really really like to watch it! I hate being such a wuss when it comes to that stuff, but as of yet can't seem to find the courage to work myself into horror movies and stuff even slowly. Blah.

I adore Dexter... Haven't bothered with the network version, because I've seen the first season twice already, and, I just don't think it would be the same. Maybe I will have a look, his sister swears a LOT, not sure what they are doing about that.

hoxharding Guest
    1) It is not as gruesome as you would think. Plus, they will edit more out since it is on CBS
    2) The actress who plays Deb was the woman who played a 'possessed'girl in 'The Possession of Emily Rose'(think that was the title)
    She also played a pair of twins(or are they) in a low-budget film about an apartment building. That also had Judd Nelson in it.
    3)
    Michael C. Hall went to a college in my hometown(Earlham) I have wondered if
    I walked past him at some point at had no idea who he was.

4) If you like the show-read the books. Dexter is engaged to be married in the third book.

5) I am happy to see they redubbed Deb's lines. With her language,I almost expected to barely see her when they moved it to network.

Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    1)

5) I am happy to see they redubbed Deb's lines. With her language,I almost expected to barely see her when they moved it to network.
    I'm curious, since she has such 'colorful language', when they redub, is it really obvious? I mean is it like one of those Japanese monster movies where they are obviously speaking another language and their lips are moving at a different cadence?

Oh, and I know about the books, but I always forget that they exist... I have been meaning to get them at the library. Do you happen to know the authors name? If not, I'll google, but if you do, let me know. Thanks.

pvezz Guest
    I adored Michael Hall in "Six Feet Under"; I've heard so many great things about "Dexter".

I'm currently working my way through "Nip/Tuck" on Netflix, but Dexter's next on my list.

We got the first season last year, I liked it. The year before we got the last episode of six feet under. He was good in that as well.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    I adored Michael Hall in "Six Feet Under"; I've heard so many great things about "Dexter".

I'm currently working my way through "Nip/Tuck" on Netflix, but Dexter's next on my list.
    I also love HEROES, my husband bought me the first season, but he bought the HD/DVD set. Our DVD player won't play the HD DVDs, and he box is opened, and we don't have the receipt. Apparently, the HD DVD is on the way out, Blue Ray is the way to go. So, I have this set of Heroes, that I can't watch. Talk about bummed out. I looked on eBay, there are a ton of them for sale, so I can't sell it. I'd give it to someone who has an HD DVD player, I wish I could watch it at someone's house, but I don't know anyone with the right kind of DVD player!!!!

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hidium View Post
    I also love HEROES, my husband bought me the first season, but he bought the HD/DVD set. Our DVD player won't play the HD DVDs, and he box is opened, and we don't have the receipt. Apparently, the HD DVD is on the way out, Blue Ray is the way to go. So, I have this set of Heroes, that I can't watch. Talk about bummed out. I looked on eBay, there are a ton of them for sale, so I can't sell it. I'd give it to someone who has an HD DVD player, I wish I could watch it at someone's house, but I don't know anyone with the right kind of DVD player!!!!
    I didn't know you had to have a special kind of DVD player to play HD discs. That sucks, Hid!!

LG have a DVD player that plays all formats. Btw, here in Singapore we call LG 'Lousy Goods'. LOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I didn't know you had to have a special kind of DVD player to play HD discs. That sucks, Hid!!
    I'm pretty low tech, but he should have known better!!!! It sucked to the tune of about $70 bucks!!!! Live and learn...

RaRaRamona Guest
    Okay I read that mostly they just had to edit language. I was pretty shocked at how much they did show. The cut up bloodless body in the first epi - wow!

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    Hid, you may have the option to sell it/trade it to a game store or a place like that that buys/sells used DVDs.

I noted that your location is in California, do you have an FYE anywhere near you? Try them if so. They buy used DVDs and give cash for them. I also know on pretty good authority *wink wink, nudge nudge* that Blockbuster trades used DVDs for store credit...Maybe you could trade it in and get enough credit to get the box set on regular ol' DVD?

Hope that helps...Sucks to have something you can't use. Just ask the PC copy of "Viva Pinata" I bought for my daughter and I to play together, but can't use cause my computer won't support it. (NO ONE takes used PC games...BLAH!)

Deathgoddess Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    We got the first season last year, I liked it. The year before we got the last episode of six feet under. He was good in that as well.

The last episode of Six Feet Under was AMAZING! I get chills when i hear that song they played, what an ending! No other show will wrap up that well.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoddess View Post
    The last episode of Six Feet Under was AMAZING! I get chills when i hear that song they played, what an ending! No other show will wrap up that well.
    Makes the Sopranos ending look pretty lame.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Boxofpandoraz View Post
    Hid, you may have the option to sell it/trade it to a game store or a place like that that buys/sells used DVDs.

I noted that your location is in California, do you have an FYE anywhere near you? Try them if so. They buy used DVDs and give cash for them. I also know on pretty good authority *wink wink, nudge nudge* that Blockbuster trades used DVDs for store credit...Maybe you could trade it in and get enough credit to get the box set on regular ol' DVD?

Hope that helps...Sucks to have something you can't use. Just ask the PC copy of "Viva Pinata" I bought for my daughter and I to play together, but can't use cause my computer won't support it. (NO ONE takes used PC games...BLAH!)
    Why THANK YOU my dear!!!! I will certainly look into this!!! Very good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Makes the Sopranos ending look pretty lame.
    Pretty much anything would be better than that Sopranos ending!!!

RoRo Guest
    I don't get Showtime but I love Dexter...the premise is wonderful and I admit there are a few people I would like to kill like Dexter does!

TheScoocher Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    Is anyone watching it on network? I wonder how gruesome it is on Showtime. Sex & the City didn't change all that much with the editing, & everyone thought it would be ruined. I am curious about Dexter.
    We've watched it on Showtime and on CBS. CBS scales back the blood and guts. The profanity is out too. That's disappointing because some of the best ironic moments are derived from both of those.

hoxharding Guest
    I'm curious, since she has such 'colorful language', when they redub, is it really obvious? I mean is it like one of those Japanese monster movies where they are obviously speaking another language and their lips are moving at a different cadence?

Oh, and I know about the books, but I always forget that they exist... I have been meaning to get them at the library. Do you happen to know the authors name? If not, I'll google, but if you do, let me know. Thanks.

The Author is Jeff Lindsay:
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter (2004)
    Dearly Devoted Dexter (2005)
    Dexter in the Dark (2007)
    Dexter By Design (2008)
    I forgot there are 4 books(not 3)

I got the giggles thinking of how they might of made Deb 'tv safe'
    Dexter "So,what do you think Deb"
    Shot of Deb opening her mouth and cut to ads.
    Back from ads "I agree Deb"
    =)

Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    The Author is Jeff Lindsay:
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter (2004)
    Dearly Devoted Dexter (2005)
    Dexter in the Dark (2007)
    Dexter By Design (2008)
    I forgot there are 4 books(not 3)

I got the giggles thinking of how they might of made Deb 'tv safe'
    Dexter "So,what do you think Deb"
    Shot of Deb opening her mouth and cut to ads.
    Back from ads "I agree Deb"
    =)
    Thank you so much for the book info!!!! You are one of my Heroes!

Yeah, that's about how they would have to do it!!! And the second season... how are they going to deal with "Miss Pardon my titties, Lila"? There was a lot more nudity, sex and graphic violence in the second season.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Thank you so much for the book info!!!! You are one of my Heroes!

Yeah, that's about how they would have to do it!!! And the second season... how are they going to deal with "Miss Pardon my titties, Lila"? There was a lot more nudity, sex and graphic violence in the second season.
    Well obviously we're all going to have to rent the second season b/c we can't wait! SO they won't have to worry about it.

I've worked my way through seasons one and two on Showtime- On Demand for both. We got Showtime this year mostly because of "Dexter"; my husband is as addicted as I am.

Deb sort of grew on me season two. She's twice as neurotic, and she drops the "f" bomb and other obscenities in just about every sentence. At least she kind of knows she's nuts, which keeps her from being irritating. I liked the last show of season two; like season one, it manages to tie up all the plot lines from the whole season in a really satisfying way while still leaving you feeling edgy!

It's maybe a slight notch above CSI for gore, but not more than you can handle if you watch CSI. It wracks up a lot more sex and nudity than CSI for sure!

PvN73 Guest
    I have only seen the first 2 eps because I went to a special screening of it before it premiered here in Aust. Michael C. Hall appeared and did a Q&A between the 2 eps. He was soooo hilarious! I was most impressed with him.

Way more handsome in real life.

Luckily a friend of mine has the first series and I indeed to borrow it soon!

Quote Originally Posted by amaranthaseven View Post
    I've worked my way through seasons one and two on Showtime- On Demand for both. We got Showtime this year mostly because of "Dexter"; my husband is as addicted as I am.

Deb sort of grew on me season two. She's twice as neurotic, and she drops the "f" bomb and other obscenities in just about every sentence. At least she kind of knows she's nuts, which keeps her from being irritating. I liked the last show of season two; like season one, it manages to tie up all the plot lines from the whole season in a really satisfying way while still leaving you feeling edgy!

It's maybe a slight notch above CSI for gore, but not more than you can handle if you watch CSI. It wracks up a lot more sex and nudity than CSI for sure!
    I like when she says to Dexter, "Are you going to F*** her or light her on fire?" when he had all those candles lit in his bedroom....

Overtaxed Guest
    I've only Dexter once or twice so I can't comment about its transformation for national broadcast, but I have to disagree with Ramona. Sex and the City has been so chopped up, and integral parts of storyline eliminated for the sake of cutting for the benefit of the censors, and more likely advertising and commercial time, that someof the reruns of the show make absolutely no sense.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    I've only Dexter once or twice so I can't comment about its transformation for national broadcast, but I have to disagree with Ramona. Sex and the City has been so chopped up, and integral parts of storyline eliminated for the sake of cutting for the benefit of the censors, and more likely advertising and commercial time, that someof the reruns of the show make absolutely no sense.
    I guess since I already saw them all I don't realize they don't make sense. It's like putting a great novel on the big screen though - what I think is an integral part of the story just doesn't fit into the film version & really it's okay without it, I just don't ever like it.

I guess since I already saw them all I don't realize they don't make sense. It's like putting a great novel on the big screen though - what I think is an integral part of the story just doesn't fit into the film version & really it's okay without it, I just don't ever like it.
    Which show RaRa, Sex in the City or Dexter?

RaRaRamona Guest
    Which show RaRa, Sex in the City or Dexter?
    STC

I like when she says to Dexter, "Are you going to F*** her or light her on fire?" when he had all those candles lit in his bedroom....
    Yes!

The bitchiness (deserved) directed at "tits" was hilarious. Deb seems to say all the things people want to say, but don't. She got some good moments this last season.

Quote Originally Posted by amaranthaseven View Post
    Yes!

The bitchiness (deserved) directed at "tits" was hilarious. Deb seems to say all the things people want to say, but don't. She got some good moments this last season.
    She did have a good part in season two. We can't talk about season two because of the people watching season one for the first time... I just thought of that.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Thank you!

Anyone else get a Gay-dar reading from Dexter? I know he played a Gay man in Six Feet Under, but even him playing a straight guy on Dexter, I still get those "readings".

I've heard he's straight and married in real life...but you never know...

Deathgoddess Guest
    I am very attracted to him, that is usually a good indicator for gay men, LOL!
    My husband teases me about my gay man fetish, he doesn't know why i chose him and not some closeted southern gay

She did have a good part in season two. We can't talk about season two because of the people watching season one for the first time... I just thought of that.
    I've been trying to be subtle, so as to not spoil anything, but maybe I'm not doing a good job being vague. I'll keep mum on it!

I think you'll all be satisfied by season two if you like the first! I thought it built on it nicely. So often, shows come back after a strong first year, and either they forget continuity and it's like the first season never happened, or they just resort to a formula. Not so with "Dexter".

bluebear71 Guest
    I love the show!! I have never seen it on showtime though. I'm too cheap.

Anyone else get a Gay-dar reading from Dexter? I know he played a Gay man in Six Feet Under, but even him playing a straight guy on Dexter, I still get those "readings".

He is an actor, so either way he could be acting, and they don't let them actually have sex when the camera is rolling, except in the San Fernando Valley. I want him to be straight, (as if he'd EVEN do me.)

PS: I know that was a retarded post.

RaRaRamona Guest
    PS: I know that was a retarded post.
    I loved the part of SVV!

I loved the part of SVV!
    You're nice to be so kind to the terminally dopey.

hoxharding Guest

That is one of the subtexts many people read into Dexter. They even had a gay man mistake Dexter for gay.
    Michael is divorced-at least that is what I read recently. I still wonder if I ever stood in the same line at Dairy Queen or anything else like that.

marimbagirl Guest
    The books don't really follow the TV show. The first book in the series is translated into the first season, but after that, they really don't have much to do with each other.

I can't wait for the third season to start on Showtime. I want to see how they're going to continue the show since things at the end of season 2 were....tied up pretty nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by marimbagirl View Post
    The books don't really follow the TV show. The first book in the series is translated into the first season, but after that, they really don't have much to do with each other.

I can't wait for the third season to start on Showtime. I want to see how they're going to continue the show since things at the end of season 2 were....tied up pretty nicely.
    Waiting here too. Love, love, love mee sum Dexter. The only time we subscribe to Showtime is for that show. After that, poof, gone.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Waiting here too. Love, love, love mee sum Dexter. The only time we subscribe to Showtime is for that show. After that, poof, gone.
    I've gotten strangely addicted to "The Tudors" after resisting watching it. It's not just the constant sex , I actually love the political wheelings and dealings, too. The fact that there are just loads of gorgeous men and women in the show doesn't hurt.