Thread: The Symbionese Liberation Army

The Symbionese Liberation Army

State corrections officials re-arrested Sara Jane Olson on Saturday - five days after she was released - and announced that they intend to keep her in prison for another year.

California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation spokesman Oscar Hidalgo said that officials miscalculated Olsonâ??s sentence and gave her a yearâ??s more time off her term than she deserved. â?¦

Hidalgo said that Olson, the former Symbionese Liberation Army member who was convicted of killing Myrna Opsahl inside the lobby of a Carmichael bank in 1975 and of trying to bomb police cars in Los Angeles, was detained Friday night at Los Angeles International Airport as she was preparing to fly to Minnesota, where her family lives.

http://www.sacbee.com/749/story/804995.html

lisalouver Guest
    This is a sore subject for me.

This woman was arrested at her home about one mile from me in 1999. Sara Jane Olson she had changed her name to. Her real name is Kathleen Soliah and she was involved with the SLA (Patty Hearst) and she was involved in the murder of a mother in a bank robbery in California and had plotted with the others and placed bombs under police cars in Cali.

She got out EIGHT years early for good beahvior. There was such an outcry last night that correction officals looked into her file, saw that an error had been made and then re-arrested her.

She had made a perfect little life for herself here in Saint Paul. Where she married a doctor, had a couple of kids and baked cookies. After being profiled on America's most wanted, she was arrested at a traffic stop.

Her husband, an ER doctor at United Hospital here in Saint Paul had to quit his job because no one wanted to be treated by him. I thought they had sold their house to live in Cali to await her release.

NO ONE wants her back here. Myself included.

spot on lisalouver!
    she didn't get enough in the first place.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    spot on lisalouver!
    she didn't get enough in the first place.
    I totally agree.

I just checked the property records for their house here in Saint Paul. Looks like it is in a trust.

I have mixed feelings on this one. However, I do think it's rediculous for the "justice system" to have fucked up in the first place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

That is true. I know that the system is scrupulous about making sure you don't serve 'extra' time as they can get hit with a nice lawsuit if they don't release you when you are supposed to get out.
    Like the newspaper article states, I do feel sorry for her kids.
    But for her, I hope the additional time will give her pause to reflect on things she could have been out doing IF she hadn't wanted to play Jane the Terrorist OR if she had taken the rap back in the day for the cause she believed in rather than run away like the common criminal that she was.

poppie Guest
    It is forever etched in my memory of the fire in South Central area of Los Angeles when the house the SLA were in burned and everyone perished. I felt it was poetic justice for the SLA. All television stations carried the fire. Perhaps Sara Jane was rehabilitated before she was arrested. Whatever - she got off almost Scot free for her crimes. I am happy her sorry ass is back in prison to serve the time she still owes.

kdeazell Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    It is forever etched in my memory of the fire in South Central area of Los Angeles when the house the SLA were in burned and everyone perished. I felt it was poetic justice for the SLA. All television stations carried the fire. Perhaps Sara Jane was rehabilitated before she was arrested. Whatever - she got off almost Scot free for her crimes. I am happy her sorry ass is back in prison to serve the time she still owes.
    I remember watching that too. It was huge thing here in LA. I'll bet her family files a suit for mental shit cause they released her early and re-arrested her.

NOVSTORM Guest
    I do not understand how she got such a light sentence. The SLA was a horrible group. Patty Hearst gotmore jail time than this woman did!! And she was a brainwashed victim. ! I don't care how many cookies she baked the only reason she turned herself around was so that she wouldn't get caught. I feel for her family too, her husbands career is ruined ,her kids must be a mess and all because she hid her past from her husband. Not to mention all the things she did,murder,attempted murder, kidnapping, arson and on and on. IMO she should have gotten a life sentence for this. I can well imagne the look on her face when they slapped those cuffs on her at the airport but I can well imagine the pain that this woman helped cause.
    In 1975 I was living in Pacifica CA. I had long red hair and I had been crabbing at the pier. I stopped at a local bar for a hot rum because I was freezing my ass off.
    I ordered ,went to the bathroom and came out and the next thing I knew I was on the floor with a shot gun in my face. The bartender called the cops because he thought I was Patty Hearst. I couldn't believe that they were willing to kill Patty Hearst ! I always took my p coat and knit cap off when I left the pier after that little experience. Patty would have been shot in a NY minute yet this woman gets out doing very little time for a hell of a lot worse then that poor Patty did!!!!
    Last edited by NOVSTORM; 03-24-2008 at 02:27 AM. Reason: spelling

Here is a great link with some background detail.
    The poor woman who was murdered, Myna Opsahl, 42 and the mother of four, was there to deposit church funds. She placed her adding machine on the counter as ordered, and was killed when the pointed shotgun at her that went off.
    Sara also managed to get her brother and sister involved in the SLA at one point. The story details how on the cold case hunt, the FBI had come up with a digital age enhanced photo of Sara and the mother, who up to that point had refused to help, went and got a current photo of her daughter to show 'em. (Doh!)
    http://www.crimelibrary.com/terroris.../hearst/6.html

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    Amen.

lisalouver Guest
    That is true. I know that the system is scrupulous about making sure you don't serve 'extra' time as they can get hit with a nice lawsuit if they don't release you when you are supposed to get out.
    Like the newspaper article states, I do feel sorry for her kids.
    But for her, I hope the additional time will give her pause to reflect on things she could have been out doing IF she hadn't wanted to play Jane the Terrorist OR if she had taken the rap back in the day for the cause she believed in rather than run away like the common criminal that she was.
    The only one who should feel sorry for her kids is Kathleen Soliah. I refuse to call her Sara because that is not who she is.

She did what she did to her kids. Who, btw are no longer kids, they are young adults now. She can look in the mirror every day and thank herself for what she did to her own kids, who never even knew who thier mother was growing up. She was a fraud to them.

I bet Myrna's children would like to visit their mother in person rather than in a cemetary.

She makes me sick.

They are ready to run her out of town on a rail if/when she comes back here.

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    This is a sore subject for me.

This woman was arrested at her home about one mile from me in 1999. Sara Jane Olson she had changed her name to. Her real name is Kathleen Soliah and she was involved with the SLA (Patty Hearst) and she was involved in the murder of a mother in a bank robbery in California and had plotted with the others and placed bombs under police cars in Cali.

She got out EIGHT years early for good beahvior. There was such an outcry last night that correction officals looked into her file, saw that an error had been made and then re-arrested her.

She had made a perfect little life for herself here in Saint Paul. Where she married a doctor, had a couple of kids and baked cookies. After being profiled on America's most wanted, she was arrested at a traffic stop.

Her husband, an ER doctor at United Hospital here in Saint Paul had to quit his job because no one wanted to be treated by him. I thought they had sold their house to live in Cali to await her release.

NO ONE wants her back here. Myself included.
    Who would? ((shakes head))
    Last edited by cindyt; 03-23-2008 at 08:34 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

SenorMuerto Guest

Last Incarcerated Symbionese Liberation Army Member Released

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/...051009.article

At the time they abducted Patty Hearst, I was in 8th grade and just fascinated with the story.

Frazzzld Kat Guest
    I remember the SLA shootout... We watched it as the news was broadcasting it live. And for a while there was a question as to whether Patty Hearst might have been in the house too. The SLA wasn't going down without a fight.

lisalouver Guest
    Yea, this guy was the bf of Kathleen Soliah, AKA Sara Jane Olson.

We just got her sorry ass back here in MN to do her parole time after she spent 7 years out in Cali doing her time.

No one here is happy about it.

silverwaif77 Guest
    Wow! Im reading the Patty Hearst book right now!
    I grew up in Concord Ca, which was where the SLA's first safe house was located and have been by the place Patty was kidnapped from. It was so weird how this small group of people, was able to pull off a kidnapping, and 2 bank robberies, and tried to create the illusion of being this large undeground organization.

SLA = Red Brigate lite.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzzld Kat View Post
    I remember the SLA shootout... We watched it as the news was broadcasting it live. And for a while there was a question as to whether Patty Hearst might have been in the house too. The SLA wasn't going down without a fight.
    I was a kid in South Cali and recall the shootout on live tv. it went on for hours and damn it I had a little league game to play in.
    I also remember when the SLA sent the tapes to the radio station which played them over the air.
    Delusion. Life's Best Coping Mechanism
    Check out Floyd's new Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYA5iAAJg8

a nice award winning show on the topic. documentary style. If you want to learn about this terrorist group this one is pretty damn good.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...f+patty+hearst

On May 31, 1974, The office of the Calforinia Attorney General was bombed by the terrorist group The Weather Underground. The group states that the bombing was a response to the killing of six members of the Symbionese Liberation Army.
    Last edited by johnny; 05-17-2009 at 08:22 AM.
    Delusion. Life's Best Coping Mechanism
    Check out Floyd's new Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYA5iAAJg8

Frazzzld Kat Guest
    a nice award winning show on the topic. documentary style. If you want to learn about this terrorist group this one is pretty damn good.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...f+patty+hearst

On May 31, 1974, The office of the Calforinia Attorney General was bombed by the terrorist group The Weather Underground. The group states that the bombing was a response to the killing of six members of the Symbionese Liberation Army.
    Thanks for the documentary link... that was interesting. Seeing the news footage of the shootout again brought back memories. I remember when the lady came out of the house and the police weren't sure who she was although they were aware that there might be a hostage inside (home owner). So they first treated her like a suspect, but at least she made it out alive.

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by silverwaif77 View Post
    Wow! Im reading the Patty Hearst book right now!
    I grew up in Concord Ca, which was where the SLA's first safe house was located and have been by the place Patty was kidnapped from. It was so weird how this small group of people, was able to pull off a kidnapping, and 2 bank robberies, and tried to create the illusion of being this large undeground organization.
    Silver I grew up in Concord and was living down the street from Sutherland Court when that happen. It was 1560 Sutherland Court. Nancy Ling Perry had rented that house under an assume name along with another member....not sure if it was William Wolf.
    After Ramiro and Little killed Dr. Marcus Foster and were arrested....they torched the house and fled.

silverwaif77 Guest
    I just google mapped Sutherland court, I grew up less than a mile away!
    Thanks for the address Nicki! I will have to do a drive by to check it out! I remember talk of the SLA when I was a kid, but mainly it was about Patty. I didnt realize it was so close to home, Concord isnt so white bread as people think.

rickenbacker Guest
    Fascinating and horrible subject, the SLA. This guy is now living just up the road in Champaign. His wife is a prof at the U of I.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,5027836.story

I♥TinyTim Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    I have mixed feelings on this one. However, I do think it's rediculous for the "justice system" to have fucked up in the first place.

Our judicial system is already one big SCREW UP anyway. When my dad's nephew shot him dead in cold blood, he plea bargained; got 15 years, but got out in 7 years for "good behavior." These criminals NEVER serve a full term, and it's a slap in the face to the family of the victims, and it's a disgrace to our nation as a whole.

lisalouver Guest
    Kathleen Soliah, who as mentioned in earlier posts, was found here in her St Paul home and arrested back in 1999 after being a fugitive for over 25 years and had been living under an assumed name... Shes in the news again.

She was paroled from the CA prison she served time in and came back here to the same home in 2009.

Apparently, she wants to help those in prison for crack cocaine.

http://www.twincities.com/minnesota/...inds-new-cause

So, she has done her time and is now free?
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    So, she has done her time and is now free?
    She is on parole.

The problem with that is she is serving her parole time here in MN. Not in California, where her crimes were committed and where she served her prison time.

I have no idea how that happened, but our Gov here in MN as well as police unions in both states opposed her being able to come back to MN to finish out her sentence.

lisalouver Guest
    Here is a better link with a pic of her taken on Saturday.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_2333260...ara-jane-olson

Just lovely, it is absolutely disgusting we are stuck with her here in the Twin Cities.
    "When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself."
    -Anonymous

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoBorn View Post
    Just lovely, it is absolutely disgusting we are stuck with her here in the Twin Cities.
    It most certainly is.

Mammy Guest
    The years sure haven't been kind to her. She's almost as repulsive as Diane Downs.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    The years sure haven't been kind to her. She's almost as repulsive as Diane Downs.
    Ugh, I know. Today, on our morning show they were ripping her. I was laughing on the drive in to work.

She doesn't like to talk about her past, but did tell the reporter she is a grandmother. I am quite certain Myrna Opsahl would have loved to have lived to be a grandmother.

She makes me sick.

Remember one of the demands was to give out free food
    to the poor of LA. then Governor Ronald Reagan said:
    Hope they all get Botchalism.

Once a jerk always a big time jerk.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

radiojane Guest
    Botulism? What a nice sentiment.