Thread: DSL/Cable

DSL/Cable

Hey.

Now, I could just ask the spouse this but he is in the other room and I can't be bothered. So, I am using Earthlink DSL for about 4 years now. They are constantly having interruptions when it rains. Or gets cloudy. Or whatever.

Is getting cable innernets going to fix that?

Or will it matter? I get irritated at the inconsistency and India is no help. They just tell me to restart the thingy. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MODEM FOR THE LOVE OF PETRA NEMACOVA. It's the weather.

Why does this happen????

Please and thank you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Don't know why that happens ad, but definitely get off the DSL and move to cable...weather will have no effect (at least, I've never had that problem in 5 years of cable internet access). AND it's so much faster....

That being said, having my wi-fi access continually bumped by the computer hag mega-hotspot asshole upstairs is an entirely different issue...

marimbagirl Guest
    The only time that I've ever had a problem with my cable modem is when they test the emergency broadcast system here. They blow the sirens and interupt television feeds. It'll click off for about five minutes while they do the tests and then it'll come back on when their finished.

deathybrad Guest
    Earthlink is probably not the problem, the phone company is the problem and it is their responsibility to maintain the line all the way up to your house.

There are only two basic problems with cable: 1) it is a party line, if everyone is on the internet on the block it's not going to be fast. 2) if you get bad cable service it will never get better.

I've NEVER had good digital cable or cable internet service, granted, it was mediacom and they are notoriously awful but so are most cable providers.

That's true Brad. We've used DSL for years now and have never had a problem. Our service has also never been affected by the weather.

deathybrad Guest
    Service being affected by weather is DEFINITELY the phone company's problem.

MbalmR Guest
    I've been on broadband/cable for years, and never had a problem. Only twice in all that time was I unable to connect, and it's because Time Warner was apparently doing some work on the lines. At any rate, when I did experience problems, I always got to talk to someone who spoke perfect English, and I get service 24 hours a day. They never put me on hold. I'm sure I'm paying more for my internet service than I really need to, but I've always been very happy with their service, which is a good thing, because where I live, they are our only cable choice.

spoiledkitty Guest
    I went from using cable for the past few years to geting stuck with dsl from embarq at first I thought it would be a disappointment but I have had less problems with this dsl than I ever had with rr, I think it might depend on the area you are in too!
    Last edited by spoiledkitty; 03-16-2008 at 06:23 AM.

I've had DSL for several years.

Never any problems.

ShellBell Guest
    I have had DSL for a year and a half or so and have never noticed any problems in corelation to the rain.

Every once in a while, it seems rather slow and stagnant after I have been on for a while. But not that often.

I have DSL bundled with DISH and telephone through phone company that has so far saved me money. I refuse to go through Comcast who I despise for the monopoly they are here. :P

Shell

There are no other people on our street that use the internet (they are all old) so the cable thing might be a better option. Our phone lines are 40+ years old, though! Since we don't live in a subdivision, the chances of them being replaced are slim to none. Thanks for all the advice; I believe we are going to go to cable.

Due to the weather in Atlanta today, we had no internet!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ad nauseam View Post
    Hey.

Now, I could just ask the spouse this but he is in the other room and I can't be bothered. So, I am using Earthlink DSL for about 4 years now. They are constantly having interruptions when it rains. Or gets cloudy. Or whatever.

Is getting cable innernets going to fix that?

I went from DSL to cable in January and I love it, way big improvement. Now it's not perfect, nothing is, but it most def stays up during rain, no long interuptions. My advice is to get the fastest they have; it's worth it, trust me.

Or will it matter? I get irritated at the inconsistency and India is no help. They just tell me to restart the thingy. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MODEM FOR THE LOVE OF PETRA NEMACOVA. It's the weather.

Why does this happen????

Please and thank you.
    Go cable, you won't regret it. I have the fastest they offer in my area, and the rain does not affect it. BTW, I use Charter Communications.
    Last edited by cindyt; 03-15-2008 at 12:46 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

knothere Guest
    go to hi speed n get remote modem

knothere Guest
    i had probs with the cable modem n y ai gots hispeed but it made a worlda diff with the remote modem

OBX Guest
    I had Charter Cable service for a few years and it was hell. Finally, they offered DSL through the phone lines where I live through Embarq and it is awesome. I have 5Meg and it is never down. If your phones work, your DSL works.

Cable would go out all the time and at night and on weekends when everyone was on, it would slow to a standstill.

+1 for DSL

weight loss Guest
    Your phone lines are old and need to be updated. I've had dsl for years and I've never had issue one - unless there was something going on in the area. I have a neighbor on the other hand who has cable who is always calling me asking if I have internet service cause hers is down.

There are no other people on our street that use the internet (they are all old) so the cable thing might be a better option. Our phone lines are 40+ years old, though! Since we don't live in a subdivision, the chances of them being replaced are slim to none. Thanks for all the advice; I believe we are going to go to cable.

Due to the weather in Atlanta today, we had no internet!
    Hey, I live about 30 miles northeast of Atlanta, have cable internet, no interuptions despite the bad weather. When I used DSL via AT&T/BellSouth, I lost my connection every time it rained--heck I lost it sometimes when it just clouded over. Remember last year when the phone company's internet was down for what? Five hours? And customer service was the pits? That's what did it for me, and about that time, we moved, so I got cable, and I have never regretted. I am a homemaker and I stay online a helluva lot.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Hey, I live about 30 miles northeast of Atlanta, have cable internet, no interuptions despite the bad weather. When I used DSL via AT&T/BellSouth, I lost my connection every time it rained--heck I lost it sometimes when it just clouded over. Remember last year when the phone company's internet was down for what? Five hours? And customer service was the pits? That's what did it for me, and about that time, we moved, so I got cable, and I have never regretted. I am a homemaker and I stay online a helluva lot.
    See, that's exactly it. Even when it is cloudy! I think it's Bellsouth's old as hell lines and you KNOW that they are in no hurry to update them!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

hoxharding Guest
    I have cable and everytime is rains,snows or is windy-my laptop shuts down.
    When the weather is sunny and warm-there is not as much of a problem.

See, that's exactly it. Even when it is cloudy! I think it's Bellsouth's old as hell lines and you KNOW that they are in no hurry to update them!
    I've been using ATT\Bellsouth for several years now with zero complaints; aside from their incredibly uninformed "technical support" people that I spoke with when my email was down.

My Bellsouth software reported that THEIR server was down; yet the best advice that "tech support" could give was to report the problem to Microsoft as a problem with the Outlook software.

I could not get through to this person that it was THEIR software reporting the problem with THEIR equipment; Microsoft had nothing to do with it.

I overcame the problem by turning off their "Connection Manager" software.

Other than that; I have no complaints with the DSL service I have gotten from ATT\Bellsouth.

Since Katrina; all of our wiring is new.

What shits me off is that, at first, I didn't make the connection with the weather and disruption of service, and I thought it was my computer. I did connection diagnostics and showed nothing wrong. And then one day I realized the weather seemed to have a hand in it, and I was right, but I also thought I was nuts. I mean, I thought This can't be. But it was. I heard it had something to do with rain water getting to the boxes, but that doesn't explain the cloudy sky. I'd like someone to explain that one to me.

Beginning this Saturday I am quits with AT&T/BellSouth, which is on my shit list second only to AOL. We are bundling all our services with Charter, and it's going to save us right at $264 per year. That will buy a helluva lot of popcorn.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I've had both, I prefer cable

Armcast Guest
    I've had both also, and I also prefer cable...I've never had an issue with cable.

xenaswolf Guest
    Cable all the way! Nothing worse than a DSL glitch when you are right in the middle of a big important raid on WoW or EQ~