Thread: Shirley Booth "Hazel"

Morto Guest

Shirley Booth "Hazel"

A favorite from the 1960s televison show Hazel retired on Cape Cod many years ago in Chatham a small New England town on the ocean.My cousin took me to see her modest home where he built her new fireplace a number of years ago.He said she was just darling.I know she passed away some time ago but I loved her in that show as a kid.

Auntie Vi Guest
    I love the movie Hot Spell, in which she is the star. I even have original movie posters I bought on ebay. I have gome through periods where I watched the movie every day for 2 months, I shit you not. The mood is on me again, but I have lost the VHS tape

RaRaRamona Guest
    I used to absolutely love Hazel. I bet she was a doll.

Morto Guest
    My cousin said while they were building the fireplace and chimney for her she was always feeding them and making lemonade.I used to call him "Mason of the stars" an offshoot of Robin Leach's show at the time.He said she was like someones Grandmother.

Yksguy Guest
    When Shirley Booth died, it came out that she was a lot older than had been claimed. Of course, that's true of a lot of actresses, but she stretched the truth more than most- I think it was about a 10 year difference (1897 or 1898 instead of 1907).

imogene schlogenwockle Guest

Shirley Booth

Shirley Booth was an excellent actress who was wasted on that dreary comedy Hazel. The show was depressing and everyone who starred on it looked depressed. Shirley looked miserable and so did Don Defore. It was a blessing when that thing was cancelled.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    The kid on Hazel, Bobby Buntrock, died in the 1970s.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0120594/

Morto Guest
    I heard he died in a car wreck around 18-19 years old.Sad stuff,I always used to ask my Dad why we couldnt have a maid like Hazel......lol.

pkrjenkins Guest
    Sorry imogene, but I loved that show when I was a little girl. Hazel made everything come out okay in the end for the family, and they had a maid and a telephone! I was pretty easily impressed as a child.

A Shirley Booth favorite film, COME BACK, LITTLE SHEBA won her Best Actress award for playing the good-hearted housewife who inadvertently drives her husband, Burt Lancaster, to drink.

Prior to the film, Shirley Booth won the Tony Award, the New York Drama Critic's best actress citation for playing the heroine of Broadway's COME BACK, LITTLE SHEBA.
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 07-23-2009 at 01:17 AM.

"Oh, Mr. B..!"
    "Never cut what you can untie"

-Joseph Joubert

JudyAnn Guest
    Shirley Booth will forever be the voice of Mrs. Claus in "The Year without a Santa Claus." Brilliant voice casting in that classic!

Many years ago, after only seeing Booth in "Hazel", I happened to catch "Come Back Little Sheba". I was pleasantly surprised seeing Booth in something other than "Hazel". She really was an incredible actress. Great movie.
    Cindy

Rudy's Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Many years ago, after only seeing Booth in "Hazel", I happened to catch "Come Back Little Sheba". I was pleasantly surprised seeing Booth in something other than "Hazel". She really was an incredible actress. Great movie.

I thought Shirley was great in that movie too. I can see why she won the Oscar for best actress in that role. It really was a great film.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaDeathHag View Post
    The kid on Hazel, Bobby Buntrock, died in the 1970s.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0120594/
    Sorry to hear about Bobby. How ironic he died on the same bridge as his mom. Is something wrong with that bridge and/or stretch of that road?
    I found Bobby a bit annoying in the show but I guess he acted as he was told.

One of my favorite movies (and books) is "About Mrs Leslie" with Shirley Booth & Robert Ryan.

VCNJ~

tarquin Guest
    I am brand new to this site and i want to know how i access pics actors and actresses ultimate death scene or is this just a site to leave comments??

Love the movie "Come back little Sheba"
    Those are my principles.If you don't like them,I have others.

-Groucho Marx-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For some reason I always thought she had died really young, back in the 70s.
    Accoridng to IMDB she was 94.

Barneylvr Guest
    I got to see her do a play called The Desk Set. She played Bunny Watson the head of a television research dept. Katherine Hepburn played the roll in the movie.