Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy Kaufman

Andy Kaufman

What are your thoughts on this fella'? I wasn't really a fan of his stand up, but I do remember when he was on SNL and they had a poll as to whether or not he should be allowed on the show.
    The Man in the Moon was an interesting movie. Andy seemed like a complex guy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

GODDESS6 Guest
    loved him on taxi, loved the movie about him too, he was "different", but his illness & death were very sad~

For about 2 years after he died I kept expecting him to reappear announcing that his death was another one of his stunts. A lot of my friends that were fans thought the same thing.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

different kind of girl Guest
    This is another person I didn't know much about until the movie was released. I'd still like to believe it was a stunt, but can it really go on this long?

ComputerGuy Guest
    I'll never forget seeing him on Saturday Night live for the first time and he did the Mighty Mouse thing. I never laughed so hard.

I was a big fan until the wrestling wemon thing. I guess I was the joke because I didn't get it. I have the movie Man in the Moon, great movie and Jim Carrey did a great job playing him.

Thank you very much

onehunglow Guest
    Never found him funny at all. As soon as I saw him, that channel went off.

Danny62 Guest
    My question is I hear during chemo you lose all your hair including body hair? If so why is he bald but still had chest hair in the pics I see of him?

He would have came back by now though if it were a stunt but it does make me wonder!!!???

Quote Originally Posted by johntrim040851 View Post
    For about 2 years after he died I kept expecting him to reappear announcing that his death was another one of his stunts. A lot of my friends that were fans thought the same thing.
    I even had a friend that had this theory that all the pre-publicity about the movie with Jim Curry was a smoke screen and that Andy himself was going to star in the movie. All of us gave him a hard time for that.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    Never found him funny at all. As soon as I saw him, that channel went off.
    Im with you, The guy never even made me snicker.

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    Im with you, The guy never even made me snicker.
    I Never got Andy either.

After watching Man on the Moon and some of Andy's TV appearances on You Tube I can't help but wonder if this man had emotional problems.

He very much reminds me of an old co-worker I had. Everything to him was a "joke". His idea of "funny" was sending a sympathy card to a woman in our office who lost her husband of 40 years to lung cancer due to smoking. In the card he attached a pic of Lucille Ball smoking with the words "..Call for Phillip Morris !!! ". He thought that was soooooo funny !!! yet when the tables were turned and someone played a joke on him, he would get very very very angry. My boss had to end up firing him because they became scared he would get violent.

Oh, in his office were tons of pics of Andy Kaufman. He loved that guy !!

I wonder if Kaufman was the same off camera?

Tugboat25 Guest
    You have to remember, Andy wasn't necessarily a comedian. He was a guy who wanted to push buttons. He wanted to see reactions and he even enjoyed being not liked. He set it up on purpose.
    His objective wasn't just to find people who may laugh but to find people to turn off and irritate. He delighted in peoples anger/aggravation because he got a reaction from them. He was never supposed to just be a regular stand up and try to get laughs.
    Andy was more in line with performance art than comedy. He sure didn't consider himself a stand up comedian.

I heard he had Aspbergers Syndrome. Anyone else hear this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

1karenhb Guest
    I didn't usually find him funny either. When he died, I also kept expecting him to pop up alive one day. He definately pushed my buttons. He irritated the hell out of me!

Ugh, I detested the guy! I couldn't change the channels fast enough when I saw him on my TV.

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    What are your thoughts on this fella'? I wasn't really a fan of his stand up, but I do remember when he was on SNL and they had a poll as to whether or not he should be allowed on the show.

I was never a fan.......don't know much about him. I may well be the only person I know that didn't watch Taxi......

RubySlippers Guest
    Taxi was before my time...the Mighty Mouse bit was kinda funny. The movie gave me a little insight. But I am still on the fense with him...sad about his illness tho.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I thought he was annoying and totally not funny. He's like that Mr. Bean guy today. If the guy croaked tomorrow, I wouldn't care either way.

magblax Guest
    He reminds me of a sad soul. But a comic genius.

Snoopy Guest
    I never knew what to think of him..he definately had a knack for leaving you scratching your head..so it's no wonder there are true diehards that still think he's out there somewhere waiting to make his comeback..you can look up this website and this guy calls himself King says he's Andy and people will email questions it's amazing how it just keeps going. I think it's called AndyKaufmanlives.com it's funny and weird!

BeeCee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    My question is I hear during chemo you lose all your hair including body hair? If so why is he bald but still had chest hair in the pics I see of him?
    It depends a lot on how much and what kind of chemo you're talking about. I was on chemo a few years ago but, didn't have to take the full amount so retained the thickest part of the hair on my head. Being female, chest hair was not an issue.

As to Kauffman, he could be funny but, for me, rarely was. Even less so when I realized how pretentious he was - or appeared to be. Maybe two lines on Taxi and the Mighty Mouse skit seem to stand out.
    Last edited by BeeCee; 10-17-2007 at 01:42 PM.

mommafreak Guest
    Did he act like that all the time. Was that his character? That Latka thing? What is up with that?

BeeCee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mommafreak View Post
    That Latka thing? What is up with that?
    About two minutes of Latka was all I could take. The best thing he did on Taxi was when he had some kind of brain fart and became Vic Ferrari. Isn't Latka the word for potato pancake in Russian or another Slavic language? Seems like a reasonable comparison.

mommafreak Guest
    lol. that's funny. not sure though. I never sat and watch a full episode of Taxi, all I can remember is Jeff Conaway's hair, flopping around every time he turned his head. Dang, keep still. And his pants, they were always so tight, but Latka, oh my goodness, Zzzzzzz, not funny.

Danny62 Guest
    I think he was way ahead of his time! I thought he was very creative at what he did!

I thought when he did Elvis on SNL he was great!!!

He did know how to annoy people which was part of his genious!!!

Andy can be pleased. He's been dead for more than 20 years and he is still pushing those buttons

Lifeisafataldisease Guest
    yeah I reckon he was ahead of his time too. Bit like the Chaser Boys here in OZ (the guys that dressed up as Osama getting thru security at APEC). Always pushing the bar. BTW the Chasers are in trouble again they performed a song on wait for it.......DEAD CELEBRITES!!! I will see if I can find a link and start a thread.

Ms. K Guest
    Honestly, my opinion on Andy Kaufman is that he was batshit insane.

Hey, opinions, they're like, well, you know....

BeeCee Guest
    He did know how to annoy people which was part of his genious!!!
    Without a doubt - he could annoy people. But then again so do hyperactive 5 year olds, adults who whine, and a power happy supervisor with a bug up his butt. It grows old fast and, from where I sit, that doesn't make them geniuses...just jerks.

SuburbanDeathHag Guest
    I never understood his act either, I suppose waskind of cute and did funny accents. Robin Williams has evolved into the same sort of creature. Robin Williams has gone just flat. Wasn't he maniacally rip roaring hilarious? But not so much any more.

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 01:46 AM.

bluebear71 Guest
    i never appreciated his brand of humor and just found him to be irritating.

I just never got Andy's type of comedy. I didn't think he was very funny on Taxi either. I guess with Louie Depalma and Reverend Jim around my eyes and ears were focused on them. They were great on Taxi!

Andy?

I wouldn't be surprised if he was reading these posts and chuckling away at all of us.

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest

I liked him. He was one of the first commercial performance artists and was ahead of his time. He knew how to push people's buttons and that caused him some trouble but I thought he was original, inventive, curious, funny and odd.....all rolled together. For the record, I DON'T think he faked his death.

RIP Andy, wherever you are. Thanks for the fun.

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    Andy is and always has been one of my favorite people ever to have lived.

His entire act was not meant to entertain others so much as it was meant to entertain himself. This is evident from the days he'd spend alone as a child performing "television programs" for invisible cameras in his bedroom walls.

He hated the idea of "celebrity". He instantly balked when someone called him a comedian. Andy performed to amuse Andy. The rest of us were just able to tune in and witness it.

Jim Carrey's portrayal of Andy was pitch perfect, as far as I'm concerned. The stories from on-set have never failed to make me laugh. While filming the movie, Jim refused to answer to his own name. He would only respond to "Andy". Andy's girlfriend Lynne said that there were things about the way Jim carried himself while in character, down to his facial expressions, that he couldn't have possibly known about Andy.

I am a hyper-sensitive person most of the time. Far too concerned with the way others think and feel about me. My respect and admiration for Andy's life and work stem from his ability to just not give a rat's ass what anyone thought.

He was one of a kind...And there will likely never be anyone who even comes close to his genius.

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxofpandoraz View Post
    Andy is and always has been one of my favorite people ever to have lived.

His entire act was not meant to entertain others so much as it was meant to entertain himself. This is evident from the days he'd spend alone as a child performing "television programs" for invisible cameras in his bedroom walls.

He hated the idea of "celebrity". He instantly balked when someone called him a comedian. Andy performed to amuse Andy. The rest of us were just able to tune in and witness it.

Jim Carrey's portrayal of Andy was pitch perfect, as far as I'm concerned. The stories from on-set have never failed to make me laugh. While filming the movie, Jim refused to answer to his own name. He would only respond to "Andy". Andy's girlfriend Lynne said that there were things about the way Jim carried himself while in character, down to his facial expressions, that he couldn't have possibly known about Andy.

I am a hyper-sensitive person most of the time. Far too concerned with the way others think and feel about me. My respect and admiration for Andy's life and work stem from his ability to just not give a rat's ass what anyone thought.

He was one of a kind...And there will likely never be anyone who even comes close to his genius.
    Well said Box and right on the money.
    I count myself an Andy fan as too. I "got it".

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.wanttohaveitall View Post
    I liked him. He was one of the first commercial performance artists and was ahead of his time. He knew how to push people's buttons and that caused him some trouble but I thought he was original, inventive, curious, funny and odd.....all rolled together. For the record, I DON'T think he faked his death.

RIP Andy, wherever you are. Thanks for the fun.
    Okay now we have some Andy fan I have a question. Do you think he would have faked his death if he had not died?

I know he talked about it! Knowing him he would of and came back in two years or something like that!

Tugboat25 Guest
    Okay now we have some Andy fan I have a question. Do you think he would have faked his death if he had not died?

I know he talked about it! Knowing him he would of and came back in two years or something like that!
    Well, I'm here on Long Island and I remember his funeral at Temple Beth-El in Great Neck NY.
    There was a lot of people there and Andy's casket was open (for awhile anyway).
    I am not Jewish but I think a serious and legitimate temple (like Temple Beth-El) would not play games with a funeral.
    Yes, I am sorry to say he passed away.

I wasn't a huge fan of his, I did like him in Taxi though. I also liked his Elvis skit and his Mighty Mouse skit.
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

Boxofpandoraz Guest

Do I think he WOULD have faked his own death and staged a "come-back" years down the road if he'd been given the oppertunity?

Heck yes, I do.

And yes, he did mention what a great thing it would be to do so...

But sadly, I have to agree with Tug, Andy's gone now.

Now, if you ask me if I believe that Andy is currently wherever spirits go to rest, laughing his ass off because there are people who really DO believe he's faking it and coming back someday...

That's an even bigger heck yes!

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest

Who knows what he would have done. The sky was the limit with Andy. His time was cut short. It's too bad because I would've loved to have seen what was next.

I couldn't stand him. I tried to like him but it just never happened. I would cringe when he would appear on different shows. I could never understand how he got hired for comedy gigs.

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I could never understand how he got hired for comedy gigs.
    Neither could he.

I know this is an old thread; but I was thinking about this guy today.

Check out Andy on Letterman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_47Xl4A98OU

I "got" Andy; and I still laugh at his stuff today.

And there is this from The Johnny Cash Show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzl0O8rsgAM

Jazbabee Guest
    I didn't care for him either....he actually plucked my nerves, and I would end up changing channels

GrinReaper Guest
    I liked him as Latka but that was it.
    ANYBODY can lip sync to a mighty mouse record. Where's the genious in that?
    It's obvious that Andy didn't have too many fans since the majority voted to keep him off of SNL.

I only know of him from the man on the moon movie. It seems at times he appeared really odd and at others there was pure genius. From what I read, Jim got him down pretty well.

I cant help thinking that those wrestling 'setups' were an inspiration to 'ol Vince McMann for his WWF in a lot of ways. A bit more theatre in the mix.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Danny62 Guest
    My opinion is I loved the guy!!! He was SO different from other comedians!!

Hell he still has people arguing about if he really died!!!

I think he was a true Genius! Other comedians just came out on stage and told Jokes, Andy was way different!!!

I remember seeing SNL in the 70's when he did his Elvis impersonation! He had the audience think it would be a joke and he was quite good!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmoum...eature=related

I liked his Mighty Mouse skit/song he did on Saturday Night Live. But didn't care much for the wrestling with the women one - he was quite the
    a-hole on that!

He was okay as Latka on Taxi tho.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I liked his Mighty Mouse skit/song he did on Saturday Night Live. But didn't care much for the wrestling with the women one - he was quite the
    a-hole on that!
    I thought all the wrestling Andy did was a big set up?

I mean that was Andy, pissing people off!!!