Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Yogurt Shop Murders - Austin TX

EricStephen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoAngel View Post
    Hi. I just registered today because this case. Does everyone think they are guilty? If not, does anyone think this case will ever be solved?
    Not everyone thinks they are guilty. The case may never be officially "solved", even if most people know who did it.

I just ordered the book.

Just curious, because I haven't read the book... is it common belief that the 4 that were charged in the murders are actually the culprits?
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

I have just started reading the book, so can't answer your question at the moment and I would have to dig through all my research that I gathered for the book I am going to write about this case and others, Bawb.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    I have just started reading the book, so can't answer your question at the moment and I would have to dig through all my research that I gathered for the book I am going to write about this case and others, Bawb.
    Wow pkstracy, I would love to read it! I actually live with an author, but I haven't read any of her books... she does romance, (not my thing, but my best friend has read one of her books and he loved it!) but she is a true crime enthusiast! Keep us posted
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

I have enough subject material to write about fifteen books, I am working on two right now, Hotel fires/theater fires from the early 1900s-1980s and then working on School Fires/disasters from 1900s to 1950s, I will be doing one, on night club fires, unsolved murders, ship/Ferry Disasters, spree killers for example, The Macdonald's Massacre here in California, Luby's etc. Yeah I'll keep you posted, I am just taking my time am in no rush to get them done, but what is taking the longest is all the research.

Just finished reading Beverly Lowry's new book on the case - this is not a case I have followed - so I went in blind on this one. On Dec 6/1991 two young girls are working at the I Can't Believe Its Yogurt (ICBIY) store in West Austin. The area is middle to upper class mainly white. At around 9 pm two younger girls enter the store and wait for the two employees to finish their shift at 11 pm. The last customer leaves at 10:48 pm and everything seems fine although one customer recalls seeing two young men in the store wearing hoodies and not eating anything. The last cash register entry is at 11:03 pm. Smoke from the fire is noticed at 11:50 pm. So what happened between 11:03 and 11:50 pm ??? Not good - the four girls are stripped/bounded/raped/shot/burned. Three of the girls are stacked on top of one another while the fourth girl is several feet away. A task force is set up involving APD/AFD/FBI/ATF/Travis County/TxDPS. Strange thing is that there are no good suspects and the case quickly goes cold until 1999. In 1999 four men are arrested - two confess after questionable police interrogation and are subsequently convicted. The other two are not indicted. Both convictions are later thrown out on appeal due to police misconduct and DNA from semen found at the scene. The full profile DNA samples are from two males and neither match the four men originally charged ( and the two convicted). The case is still open - the police and families still think the four men are guilty despite the DNA evidence. One of the men was killed years later in a police altercation.

A good detailed read. Good focus on the original lead detective who ended up with PSTD. The case will never be solved unless there is a DNA match to the unknown males. A diagram of the crime scene would have helped.

The girls' family sued ICBIY and received a $12 million settlement. ICBIY is still operating today and was bought by a Canadian company. The store in Austin is now a nail salon.

The crime scene photos are brutal and are not on the internet - at least I can't find them.

Last edited by cash; 12-24-2016 at 01:51 PM.

wow. i just heard a podcast about it, came here to see if it was on this board and it jumped out on the first page! which means i gotta share this link:

https://youtu.be/NHb__TXWbbY?t=8m48s

i skipped all the preamble and started it at the time when they start talking murder (they were talking about beer mostly).

The DNA found on one of the girls does not match either of the men that had been arrested, also one of the men was questioned ala Jessie Misskelly, meaning tell us what we want to hear and we'll let you go home type thing and no that is not the right answer are you sure it wasn't this...lot of shoddy police work once the first detective was taken off the case and done so in a very shitty way,

This case has always haunted me. Those poor girls...how they suffered and so young. I wish this could be solved but I don't think it will ever be.

Sounds like a good book. I think I may have to order.

Leasie, it is a good book with a lot of new information and more about the lives of the girls and the men suspected of killing them.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    Leasie, it is a good book with a lot of new information and more about the lives of the girls and the men suspected of killing them.
    Got it ordered. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post
    Got it ordered. Thank you.
    You're welcome.

Maria Thomas mother of Eliza Thomas, one of the girls murdered died in 2015 https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...ia-rose-thomas

I looked for recent news on this case. According to the article at the link below, advancements in DNA technology may yield more information from the DNA recovered at the crime scene, which has produced only a partial DNA profile of the killer so far. But that article is more than a year old now.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/new...t-shop-murders

Here is the memorial plaque in Google Street View. You can see where it is in the parking lot and in relation to the strip mall.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3595...8192?entry=ttu

On a lighter note, here is some trivia. In 1976 in an Austin restaurant on Anderson Lane located 500 yards from the future yogurt shop, Jimmy Buffett reportedly drank his first margarita. Hours after having that drink, in a duplex a couple of miles away, Buffett wrote the song that would become "Margaritaville".

https://www.michaelcorcoran.net/deep...e-from-austin/