Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who died broke?

onehunglow Guest

Who died broke?

The guy from Bewitched didn't look like he had much. Durwood?

Sammy Davis Jr.
    Dorothy Dandridge
    Gladys George
    are a few that come to mind

Jack Raines Guest
    Redd Foxx was pretty much broke when he died, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    The guy from Bewitched didn't look like he had much. Durwood?
    Dick York is the one you're thinking of. Yeah, I think he was pretty bad off at the time he died. I remember seeing him on Entertainment Tonight right before he died and it was really sad.

onehunglow Guest

Sammy Broke

[quote=KELT;11627]Sammy Davis Jr.

Man you learn all the time. I figured him to be loaded. Tnx.

Lifeisafataldisease Guest
    Dana Plato *DRUGS*

poppie Guest
    Gossip has it that when Sammy Davis died, Frank Sinatra gave his widow a million dollars to help relieve some of her many money problems. What a funeral procession that was!!!!!!!!!!!! The freeways to the cemetery were shut down til his hearse passed by those areas. TV had complete helecopter coverage.

Danny62 Guest
    Bela Lugosi died flat broke.

Eddie Murphy paid for Redd Foxx's funeral. The IRS auctioned off all of Redd's stuff after he died to settle his debt with them.

Genevieve Guest
    Terry-Thomas spent the last ten years of his life in a home as he had Parkinsons and it cost his family all his money. The year before he died there was a big benefit concert organised to help him and make money for Parkinsons. He went out with a bit of a bang.

GiantBryan Guest
    A funny thing, the Motion Pictures have a rest home, that stars can retire to, but they have to have NO assets, so when it is time to move they have donated or give their money away giving the impression that they are broke. I didn't know about Sammy, I used to go by Sammy's mothers house in PR, when I was in the Navy there.

SassySu Guest
    Betty Grable. Left a note: "Sorry there's nothing left"

Very sad

Quote Originally Posted by GiantBryan View Post
    A funny thing, the Motion Pictures have a rest home, that stars can retire to, but they have to have NO assets, so when it is time to move they have donated or give their money away giving the impression that they are broke. I didn't know about Sammy, I used to go by Sammy's mothers house in PR, when I was in the Navy there.
    [SIZE=5]T[/SIZE]hey can have assets and become a resident at the home. Eligibility is based on a minimal amount of years worked in the industry, the dues paid during that time, that a certain amount of the income was earned in the state of California etc.... Fees are based upon one's income, but both the wealthy as well as the destitute can become residents so long as they meet the other criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Bela Lugosi died flat broke.

Eddie Murphy paid for Redd Foxx's funeral. The IRS auctioned off all of Redd's stuff after he died to settle his debt with them.
    REDD FOXX must've been very generous though while alive. I remember when I was about 13 (August 1975) and we were staying at the old HADDON HALL hotel (now RESORTS INTERNATIONAL) in Atlantic City. FOXX was staying in a 3 room suite next to the elevators. I saw him several times and I witnessed him pass out $10. & $20. dollar tips to various hotel staff for doing little or nothing (like looked his way etc....), so that in a matter of minutes he had gone through about a hundred bucks.

Ed Wood the movie director died broke I think.

Tombstone Tourist Guest

Robin Crosby of Ratt

By 1990, the pressure of fame and living the "rock and roll lifestyle" finally got to him, and Crosby's use of heroin and other drugs began taking over his life. There would be shows where he literally couldn't play. Due to the shame he had placed on his band and himself, he left Ratt. Later, Crosby worked as a producer for metal band Lillian Axe but always felt guilty for wounding his own band, Ratt.

Eventually he lost everything: his wife, his house and cars along with his place in Ratt. Between his habit and his divorce, the millions he acquired in Ratt were all lost.

In 2001, Crosby publicly admitted that he had full-blown AIDS. He had been in and out of the hospital for eight years dealing with back problems and health issues associated with the AIDS virus. He tried to work on musical projects, including one with ex-Ratt bassist Juan Croucier but relapsed on heroin after moving a friend from his past, who was still using, into his new apartment. Crosby died of a heroin overdose two months prior to his 43rd birthday.

Judy Garland was sleeping on the floor of people she didn't even know the last few years of her life.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Ray Combs of Family Feud
    Mike Webster - all pro centre for the Steelers in the 70's. Was homeless before he died.
    Lana Clarkson - Spector's victim

Uncle Milte's Huge Wanger Guest

Elvis

Elvis was estimated to have earned more than 1.5 billion dollars between 1954 and 1977. He died with less than 5 million left. It was due to this that Graceland was opened to the public, otherwise the estate would have been forced to sell it.

Jersey Girl Guest
    Glenn Quinn (aka Mark Healy on "Roseanne") died of a heroin overdose on a friends' couch. He was penniless and homeless in the end.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Florence Ballad - screwed out of royalties like so many of the old Motown stars
    Veronica Lake- so very sad, she was delightful on screen, just a little tiny thing

knothere Guest
    Glen Quinn man I still can't get over his life/death. I've read his stuff on F A D over n over.

HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    [SIZE=5]T[/SIZE]hey can have assets and become a resident at the home. Eligibility is based on a minimal amount of years worked in the industry, the dues paid during that time, that a certain amount of the income was earned in the state of California etc.... Fees are based upon one's income, but both the wealthy as well as the destitute can become residents so long as they meet the other criteria.
    I agree.

I think I remember reading that DeForest Kelly of Star Trek fame had been staying here at the time of his death.....

and he was hardly destitute.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Poor Elvis!!!! Down to his last 5 million, no wonder life wasn't worth living!

Uncle Milte's Huge Wanger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    Poor Elvis!!!! Down to his last 5 million, no wonder life wasn't worth living!
    Hey, I totally agree with you, 5 million would be plenty for me, even in today's economy. It probably was equivalent to 20-30 million today. However, when you consider he was spending $400,000 a year just on the operation of his jet, not to mention all the extravagances, staff salaries, estate costs, lack of income (that's why he had to tour so much), and the money he gave away and blew on strangers, he would have been broke before long. Also, none of his money was invested, he apparently just spent the principal.

SlippyInvader Guest
    Elvis has probably earnt more dead than when he was alive!

ComputerGuy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SlippyInvader View Post
    Very True. Especially the merchandizing, etc

juleebella Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Judy Garland was sleeping on the floor of people she didn't even know the last few years of her life.
    Did her husband sleep there with her?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Milte's Huge Wanger View Post
    Hey, I totally agree with you, 5 million would be plenty for me, even in today's economy. It probably was equivalent to 20-30 million today. However, when you consider he was spending $400,000 a year just on the operation of his jet, not to mention all the extravagances, staff salaries, estate costs, lack of income (that's why he had to tour so much), and the money he gave away and blew on strangers, he would have been broke before long. Also, none of his money was invested, he apparently just spent the principal.

Uncle Milte, I just love your name...
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

No question. The same though also holds true for the estates of other dead celebrities. [SIZE=3]MARILYN MONROE[/SIZE], for example, has become much bigger ($$$) in death than she was alive. Vulgar, but factual.

viridescence Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by juleebella View Post
    Did her husband sleep there with her?
    Yeah, I don't think that's correct. When she died, Judy Garland had been living in a rented house in London with her last husband, Mickey Deans. She made a concert appearance a few months before her death. So I don't think that she was broke enough to sleep on the floor of a stranger's house.

onehunglow Guest
    Joe Lewis

juleebella Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by viridescence View Post
    Yeah, I don't think that's correct. When she died, Judy Garland had been living in a rented house in London with her last husband, Mickey Deans. She made a concert appearance a few months before her death. So I don't think that she was broke enough to sleep on the floor of a stranger's house.
    That's why I asked. If nothing else it seems like she would have stayed with Liza before staying with strangers.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Floor vs. Liza: Give me the floor.

monhol Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Milte's Huge Wanger View Post
    Elvis was estimated to have earned more than 1.5 billion dollars between 1954 and 1977. He died with less than 5 million left. It was due to this that Graceland was opened to the public, otherwise the estate would have been forced to sell it.
    i believe the 5 million was a lie to my knowlede it was i believe 500,00 dollars was all he had and that is the real reason for turning graceland into a museum. i remember as a child hearing that. that was a long time ago so you know the amount has changed.

monhol Guest
    most of the motown acts who worked for berry gordy. smokey is still rich and that is because he got 3 paychecks. 3 pay checks!! he wrote songs.(kaching) sang songs(kaching) and he was the vice president of motown(kaching) and he and gordy also did not pay holland dozier and holland for the songs they wrote and that is why they left motown. also berry did not report all the money those songs made because he did not register them. that is why when you watch "much music" on cable, you will see in the artist facts that some of those songs just went platnuim after years and years of being out. although platnuim did not appear until later, but still they were ripped off.ya know why diana still has dough because she was sleeping with berry and had his baby. her place was set for life and florence was the lead singer for the supremes not diana.berry changed it up. i have marvin gaye's bio and he was not feeling diana. i believe it is because he knew how she got to the top.berry gordy's wife wrote a book and in it (since we have the sharon tate thread) she talks about the manson murders and why she believes it was done. it is a good read.

John Connally - former governor of Texas ( was in the front passenger seat of JFK's death car on Nov 22/63 ). Connally went bankrupt in 1986 and died a broken man on June 15/93. He had made millions in the Texas oil business but spent $11 million on the 1980 Republican nomination for president. He won one delegate. The delegate became known as "the $11 million delegate."

Quote Originally Posted by viridescence View Post
    Yea, her rented house was in Chelsea, a pretty nice London neighborhood...I think she held other assets at the time of her death as well.

OldCoon Guest
    Peter Lawford was pretty much flat busted when he passed on. He drank and snorted his money away.

Quote Originally Posted by OldCoon View Post
    Peter Lawford was pretty much flat busted when he passed on. He drank and snorted his money away.
    He was in a bad way at the end. He even sold out his longtime friends for money. One story was that he set up ELIZABETH TAYLOR while she was in re-hab so that photographers from (the) [SIZE=3]NATIONAL ENQUIRER[/SIZE] could get some good shots of her; he'd told the photogs that he'd take her outside to a particular spot so that they could take the shots they needed.

When he died in 1984, LAWFORD was interred at WESTWOOD. Several months later since they'd never been paid, the management told the last MRS. LAWFORD that she was going to have to make arrangements. PETER LAWFORD'S children (they with those nice ample trust funds called KENNEDY SPECIALS) wouldn't help her either. The wife, PATRICIA SEATON LAWFORD, ended up making a deal with (the) NATIONAL ENQUIRER in which they'd pay her for an exclusive story. His remains cremated, the widow chartered a small boat along with ENQUIRER staff who took the boat the required 7 miles out from Los Angeles towards Catalina where the photographers took pictures of the widow in black stockings without her shoes 'spreading the ashes' out onto the Pacific.

greekfrk Guest
    Read a Marx brother book and it was said the Chico died penniless.. he loved to gamble.

Jaxxx Guest
    Bela Lugosi, Abbott and Costello they all died broke.

Irishlass Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
    Glenn Quinn (aka Mark Healy on "Roseanne") died of a heroin overdose on a friends' couch. He was penniless and homeless in the end.

when i read his story i was sad, He was a talented actor I loved him in Roseanne.

Larry Fine

I know he pissed a lot of money away.

Handrejka Guest
    Violet and Daisy Hilton

jlhist64 Guest
    The mom from "What's Happening" died broke and in an old folks home. Read's Scott's story about his encounter with her and the pictures he took of her "SCARY"!! Sorry to say...The woman looks bad right before she died....

America's most decorated soldier and actor, Audie Murphy. The guy suffered from PTSD, declared bankruptcy in 1968, died in a plane crash 1971. Buried at Arlington National Cemetary, his grave is the second most visited ( behind JFK's)

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    I think that had to do alot with her drinking and drug abuse. Just trying to find a place to pass out.

Quote Originally Posted by SassySu View Post
    Betty Grable. Left a note: "Sorry there's nothing left"

Very sad
    in large part due to Harry James spending it faster than they made it.

Irishlass Guest
    didnt Josephine baker die broke to

Fatty Arbuckle
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Nowereman Guest
    Elvis is Dead ! Good career move