Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Janis Joplin

Like I said earlier, Laura Joplin keeps such an iron fist around her sister's estate, it would be a wonder if it ever did see the light of day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    The other day, I was walking Elvis around the block and a young mother was pushing her kid in a stroller. I told them his name and the woman said, "I've never heard that name before..how cute". Ave maria!!!!

Good gravy! She's been living under a rock...

TheMysterian Guest
    Having lived during that era,Janis was something else during those days.I think she became a "legend" while still alive,no body sang the blues like she did.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMysterian View Post
    Having lived during that era,Janis was something else during those days.I think she became a "legend" while still alive,no body sang the blues like she did.
    Amen, my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMysterian View Post
    Amen from me to... didnĀ“t live in those days sadly... but I still feel the same about her
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

Forever-27 Guest
    Upset me that Joss Stone acceopted that lifetime achievement award in Janis's honor last year. Shes got nothing to do with anything concerning Janis

Yeah that sounds odd.... why not the family? Maybe they couldnt make ik???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

Forever-27 Guest
    Saturday marks the 38th year since she overdosed. I plan on driving yo larkspur to her house then on to Stinson Beach to toss flowers into the ocean

SistaSara Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Saturday marks the 38th year since she overdosed. I plan on driving yo larkspur to her house then on to Stinson Beach to toss flowers into the ocean
    Here's a link the motel where Janis got high for the last time. Back in the day it was called the Landmark Hotel. Now it's the Highland Gardens.
    http://www.highlandgardenshotel.com/

Formerly known as the Hollywood Landmark hotel, The Highland Gardens Hotel was designed and built for Entertainers, visitors and Hollywood Celebrities. The Hotel opened its doors in the mid 1950’s utilizing classic Post and Beam architecture. Walking distance to all major attractions, The Highland Gardens quickly became home to many famous Hollywood stars

Guests include members of the Rat Pack, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, Siegfried & Roy and many more.
    Because of its location just off Hollywood Boulevard and its tranquil setting, the Highland Gardens hotel still attracts many famous and up and coming celebrities. With over 70 rooms including one, two and three bedroom suites, it is home away from home for many people. The Hotel has been a location site for television shows, fashion photography and casting events.
    Last edited by SistaSara; 10-03-2008 at 04:38 PM.

We still love you, honey! It was a year ago today that I started this thread; damn, how time flies!
    You'll ALWAYS be missed!

That sounds really cool. I'll be thinking of you later out there - as I will be there in "spirit" with you for that!

stranger_than_strange Guest
    Janis was one hell of a ballsy chick I love her and was raised on her and my kids are growing to love her too though my son asks " Whats so politically important about a merc" and "Whats a color TV? Did they paint a TV or what?" I have to say my fave song is Leaving on a Jet Plane.

Forever-27 Guest
    isnt that Peter paul and Mary, or Joan Baez ..... that does that song ?

fultondyke Guest
    RIP Janis! You're still the GREATEST!

Jod6cindy Guest
    I miss women like this. Ballsy, irreverent, but not whiny and self-centered like so many of today's troubled female celebrities.

Tough as nails on the outside but with a heart of pure gold. Is this type of woman an anachronism in 2008?

houndhell Guest
    Hate to say it, but I would love to see her death pic, the one in the hotel room. Sounds odd, but seems Pearl was down on all fours scouring the floor when she bit it. Amazing how fast one can go.

ratkin638 Guest
    Welcome to the forum, houndhell. Hang around for long enough and you'll discover that the quest for pictures is a recurring theme around here!

Am I the only one that wouldn't want to see Janis dead? There are a lot celebrities I can tolerate seeing dead, but not Janis.

Jod6cindy Guest
    I don't want to see her dead, either. I don't mind if other people do, I just don't have any interest in it. Honest.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of Janis on the slab at the morgue.

Just the death hag in me, that's all...

Long Gone Day Guest
    She..was..one..of..my..first..influences...I..was..raised..around...classical..mu
    sic..and..opera..and..consequently..my..father..had..a.state..of..the.art..sound
    system..which..I..used..to..blast..Kozmic..Blues..on..and..keeping..my..eye.
    on..the..driveway..in..case..the..father..came..home..and..I..got..caught.
    playing..it..on..his..stereo...Loved..her....She..also..played..at..a..small..club
    in..Schenectady..NY..called..the..Aerodrome..before..1969..must..have..been
    around..1968...I..know..alot..of..people..that..saw..her..there..but..I..was..
    not..one..of..them

Cupcake Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Gone Day View Post
    She..was..one..of..my..first..influences...I..was..raised..around...classical..mu
    sic..and..opera..and..consequently..my..father..had..a.state..of..the.art..sound
    system..which..I..used..to..blast..Kozmic..Blues..on..and..keeping..my..eye.
    on..the..driveway..in..case..the..father..came..home..and..I..got..caught.
    playing..it..on..his..stereo...Loved..her....She..also..played..at..a..small..club
    in..Schenectady..NY..called..the..Aerodrome..before..1969..must..have..been
    around..1968...I..know..alot..of..people..that..saw..her..there..but..I..was..
    not..one..of..them

Ok, Whats up with all the dots??

Cupcake

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Ok, Whats up with all the dots??

Cupcake

LOL bad keyboard - no spacebar. i think it has been resolved. this is an old post...

Long Gone Day Guest
    A..big..big..apology..to..everyone..for..my..keyboard...It..stopped..working.
    shortly..after..I..joined....I..am..broke..and..broken..And..right..now..the..only
    thing..besides..films..from..the..library..that..kept..my..sanity..was..reading
    about..Layne...and..now..that..is..gone..for..awhile.......I..will..rewatch..
    Baghdad..Cafe...and..slink..away.......

Guest Guest
    ^ Check out thrift stores for a new keyboard.

You can get a new keyboard at Fry's Electronics for $5.

Long Gone Day Guest
    Yeah....thanks...for..the..advice.....If..I..have..enough..to..pay..the..rent...which
    I..dont...then..maybe...Ill...get..one.......Im....getting...to...kind..of..like..it.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Gone Day View Post
    maybe...Ill...get..one.......Im....getting...to...kind..of..like..it.
    Oh no girl - please get a new keyboard - you'll look more, uh, "literate" - if you know what I mean...

Long Gone Day Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Oh no girl - please get a new keyboard - you'll look more, uh, "literate" - if you know what I mean...

But...looks...can...be...so....deceiving....Aries....dont...you...think?.....Maybe
    its....the....Bauhaus...in...me......Function...over.....Form...

STRAIGHT Guest

Janis joplin on the ed sullivan show

This is a great preformance from the late artist.http://vodpod.com/watch/79021-janis-joplin-maybe

Of course I would love to see a pic of her lifeless body. That's why we are here. I just want to correct the comment that she wasn't on all fours when she died "scouring the floor", she was getting undressed (upright) when "it" hit, and she fell to the floor. Come on....she was a lady. LOL.

Forever-27 Guest
    Actually on the way down, I read she nailed her upper lip on the nightstand. Laying on the floor lifeless her lip bled

STRAIGHT Guest
    That's very possible. William Holden knocked himself out when he was drunk and blead to death.

Lout_Rampage Guest
    Upset me that Joss Stone acceopted that lifetime achievement award in Janis's honor last year. Shes got nothing to do with anything concerning Janis
    God, that is weird. Why in the hell would they have her accept it? In fact, why bother giving an award to someone who's been dead for a million years? Not like they give a shit.

Lout_Rampage Guest
    Actually on the way down, I read she nailed her upper lip on the nightstand. Laying on the floor lifeless her lip bled
    I thought she broke her nose too.

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Of course I would love to see a pic of her lifeless body. That's why we are here. I just want to correct the comment that she wasn't on all fours when she died "scouring the floor", she was getting undressed (upright) when "it" hit, and she fell to the floor. Come on....she was a lady. LOL.
    Years ago I did see a photo of Janis dead in her hotel room, it was in some book about Rock and Roll but for the life of me cant remember the name! Oh hang on it was called Rock Bottom and it's a rather good book too. I remember I was starting out as a Janis fan and seeing the photo upset me but maybe thats why I became a death hag! If I remember right, she was laying on her tummy inbetween beds

Frank 'N' Howie Guest

Just cause she was beautiful...

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky_Stone View Post
    Years ago I did see a photo of Janis dead in her hotel room, it was in some book about Rock and Roll but for the life of me cant remember the name! Oh hang on it was called Rock Bottom and it's a rather good book too. I remember I was starting out as a Janis fan and seeing the photo upset me but maybe thats why I became a death hag! If I remember right, she was laying on her tummy inbetween beds
    It must be a different book, since I too have the book "Rock Bottom" by Pamela Des Barres and there isn't a death pic of Janis in there.

I'm pretty sure Scott would have put it with his essay on Janis on his website if one were available.

I have a TON of death hag books and stuff and I'm YET to see a death pic of Janis!

It must be a different book, since I too have the book "Rock Bottom" by Pamela Des Barres and there isn't a death pic of Janis in there.

I'm pretty sure Scott would have put it with his essay on Janis on his website if one were available.

I have a TON of death hag books and stuff and I'm YET to see a death pic of Janis!
    Ummmm I remember seeing a photo or maybe it was someone esle....its going to drive me crazy now! Maybe I was reading about her and came across a photo and thought it was a death one??! I will have to get that book off my brother and take another look or it will drive me crazy !

Pat Bateman Guest
    Joss Stone?! You've got to be kidding!

Anybody else see that awards ceremony where Joss Stone and Melissa Etheridge performed a medly of Janis songs together? Etheridge blew her off the stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Bateman View Post
    Joss Stone?! You've got to be kidding!

Anybody else see that awards ceremony where Joss Stone and Melissa Etheridge performed a medly of Janis songs together? Etheridge blew her off the stage.
    I thought Joss Stone's rendition of "Cry Baby" was pretty excellent. She wasn't trying to sound like Janis - but did one hell of a job on it, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_j3TDhc8vY
    Last edited by Aries65; 12-27-2008 at 06:49 AM.

Pat Bateman Guest
    To each their own, i guess.
    Joss Stone makes me want to gouge my eardrums out with a rusty nail.

LitaMalibu Guest
    I just looked up the Highland Gardens Hotel on youtube because I stayed there once, in room 104 right across from 105 and got a peek when the maid was cleaning. The room (back in 2001) was disgusting. It had rust colored stains on the ceiling and it doesn't have a deck or a view, rather dumpy. From the looks of the previous poster's pictures, they have done some well needed renovations. Anyways, I found this old footage of Janis and her band staying there and of her hotel room the day they found her. The layout of the bed is weird! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZEtv0cVFBI

Also, there is a documentary on IFC sometimes called Camp Hollywood, it's all about that hotel and the struggling actors who stay there. It's pretty interesting.

SecretSquirrel Guest
    Hopefully I'm not repeating here, but I'm reading Coroner by Thomas Noguchi and he did the autopsy on Janice and was also in her room after they found her. He indcates that there were a lot of "old" puncture wounds, but only one single fresh one. He also said that normally heroin tends to be cut with different things and that's what he expected to find since she died of a relatively reasonable injection. He thought it would be cut with talcum powder (asbestos, ends up in the lungs), and is usually 3% heroin. However, he found that the heroin she had was 40-50% heroin and that's what she couldn't handle.

LitaMalibu Guest
    I wonder if that lady who was in the video I posted was the one who gave her the bad stuff. Probably not, because she would most likely be dead also (dur!). In the Dearly Departed video, Scott says that a few people died of heroin OD's that week from the same batch. Man, drugs are scary.

Forever-27 Guest
    No shes not. Someone named " George " sold her the batch that killed her. In the days following Janis dying other people died from the batch Janis's heroine came from. Ive often wondered if whoever George was ever had any remorse about knopwing he essentially killed Janis Joplin.

Originally The Landmark hotel was sold sometime in the mid 1970s, thus the name change. I guess its bad luck to have a major celebraity die in your hotel. The hotel was sold and remodeled. The pics posted here are much different from the hotel setup when janis stayed there. Furnature, fixtures, carpet and arrangement is all different from what it was in October 1970.

michael d Guest
    I haven't gone through the entire thread so it might have been mentioned. Janis Joplin's interviews on Dick Cavett are well worth seeking out and watching. You can tell they were close and that Cavett cared about Janis. He talked about a conversation with Janis which she asked him if she died 'who would care?' You can tell that was something that never left him.
    Last edited by michael d; 01-11-2009 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by michael d View Post
    I haven't gone through the entire thread so it might have been mentioned. Janis Joplin's interviews on Dick Cavett are well worth seeking out and watching. You can tell they were close and that Cavett cared about Janis. He talked about a conversation with Janis which she asked him if she died 'who would care?' You can tell that was something that has never left him.
    I could have sworn that I read somewhere how Janis and Cavett slept together at one time?

And didn't Janis have a dog named George? I think it was the dark shepard-mix that's in a few pictures of her. I read somewhere also that the dog ran off at one time and she couldn't find him.

KarmaKat Guest
    No shes not. Someone named " George " sold her the batch that killed her. In the days following Janis dying other people died from the batch Janis's heroine came from. Ive often wondered if whoever George was ever had any remorse about knopwing he essentially killed Janis Joplin.
    He probably never even realised it.
    And if he did, he probably didnt care.

Oh Janis you had such an amazing voice. A true voice, not like a lot of the singers around today.
    Always sadly missed. But never forgotten.

michael d Guest
    I could have sworn that I read somewhere how Janis and Cavett slept together at one time?

And didn't Janis have a dog named George? I think it was the dark shepard-mix that's in a few pictures of her. I read somewhere also that the dog ran off at one time and she couldn't find him.
    I'm sure that everyone slept with each other at some point during the sixties. I just remembered it was a difficult time in the interview when the subject came up. You could tell he had cared deeply for her. Sad to read about her low self-esteem when so many loved her.
    Last edited by michael d; 01-11-2009 at 03:17 PM.