Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Janis Joplin

gas_chick Guest
    You are missed Janis!!!

I used to think Idina Menzel would have been a good choice to play Janis but she is too old now.

And to my grave do not come weeping
    I am not there, I am not sleeping
    I am the thousand winds that blow.

And to my grave do not come weeping
    I am not there, I am not sleeping
    I am the fire, I am the snow.
    Native American prayer

MissDaniOhio Guest
    I never really understood all the hype about Janis. I was never into her music that much, but I have great sorrow for anyone who passes at a young age. That girl could sing and apparently she got around town, if you know what I mean I heard she was ate with VD when she died, is there any truth to this? ~Dani~

The Lucky One Guest
    I didn't know too much about Janis, and I watched a biography on her on the Biography Channel, and it was very sad! I never knew how she never felt like she fit in with the rest of the world. People were particularly unkind to her, and she had a overwhelming sense of loneliness. It totally broke my heart to see it. At point, she went back to her high school reunion, and you could just see the hurt in her eyes. So very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MissDaniOhio View Post
    I never really understood all the hype about Janis. I was never into her music that much, but I have great sorrow for anyone who passes at a young age. That girl could sing and apparently she got around town, if you know what I mean I heard she was ate with VD when she died, is there any truth to this? ~Dani~
    Not that I am aware of, however she certainly was full of very pure herion.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I always thought Lili Taylor would have been good to play Janis:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn-500_taylorwm858193433.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	39307
    definitely, I've always wondered who she reminded me off, now I know!

Forever-27 Guest

San Francisco Remembers , Janis

Thought id post a few recent pictures I took.

Theres a wall on the cornor of Haight and Belvadere streets in San Francisco , a block from Stanyon . the East Entrance to Golden Gate Park. Theres a massive painting of the side of a bulding there saluting Jerry garcia, Jimi Hendrix and Janis. The likeness is incredible. A similar wall painting was done at Clayton and Haight on the side of a Liquor store but it was painted over, deemed a public eyesore. Its reappeared again here at a different street cornor.

Forever-27 Guest
    Someone has taken a run of the mill cutout in the concret for a tree and made a makeshift alter of sorts to Janis. I stumbled on this along Haight Street between Ashbury and Masonic. Somebody has surrounded the city planted tree with Janis pictures , quotes and timelines , in the soil where the tree base is, they have planted flowers.

Last edited by Forever-27; 11-19-2011 at 03:02 PM.

Forever-27 Guest

Cool pics! Thank you for posting.

Bbeelzebub Guest
    Nice pictures! Only been to Haight once, but if those streets could talk.... I can only imagine. The so called, "Summer of Love" must have been one helluva fun and frolicking time.

I listen to a lot of 60s music, etc, but never really developed much of a liking for her music. It's just okay to me. Still, I love watching old interviews with her, especially on Dick Cavett. Something very sweet about her and the self deprecating, aw shucks type of persona she seems to have had. Quite endearing.

I love this one when they bring out Gloria Swanson. So unreal. I miss that about talk shows.... Having the guests stick around and interact. You rarely see it anymore except on Leno and well.... not a fan of the chin.

Pooh-Bear Guest
    Janis Joplin died when I was 20. After reading about her death, most likely in "The Rolling Stone", I had to wonder if there wasn't something more to this. I never considered suicide ever, but after all these years I still don't think she OD'ed on her own. Perhaps maybe the things I read back then were not correct and I have just carried them with me for so long I think they are truths. Maybe some members here can clear up a few points for me and I can dismiss the errors in my mind. As I understand it Janis took a five dollar bill and went to the front desk for change to buy cigarettes from the machine. Back then they were 50 cents a pack. (Those were the days). He gave her four singles and four quarters, she purchased the butts and returned to her room. When her body was discovered the unopened pack was in one hand and the change was in the other. As a smoker then and now this seemed odd to me. Back in the day when I bought mine by the pack I usually did so when I was out or about to be. In other words, it didnâ??t stay unopened long. Janis could have had a pack in her room with a few still in it and therefore she didnâ??t need to open this one yet. Fine.
    If I remember right the death report said she died quickly. Her system was too clean, the heroin was too pure. This would explain why she died the way she did. In short it appeared that she dropped dead and broke her nose in the process. This tells me that she had not shot up before she purchased the cigarettes, so the deed was done after she returned to the room.
    Now it seems to me that you would need two hands to shoot up. This means she would have had to put down what ever she was holding. What followed then? So the cigarettes and money are placed on a night stand or the bed. She gets out her works, has a fix and well, dies. Okay, letâ??s say the coroner is wrong and the cops havenâ??t a clue. She didnâ??t die fast and had time to reach for a cigarette. Fine. But if the pack is new you need two hands to open it. The change comes in where. Plus once you open the pack you need matches or a lighter. What is she, an octopus?
    One of the things I have always wanted to know is, was there another pack of cigarettes in the room that still had a few in the pack. If that is the case than she didnâ??t need to open the new one so why pick it up? The only thing I can come up with is that she NEVER put it down, nor the money either. If the reports are correct than she got back in the room and didnâ??t do anything but die. Unless some one can explain why Janis died clinging to the items she entered the room with, I would have to say that the coroners report is questionable. Why would that be?
    I could go on and chat about room keys during that time period that would also throw a monkey wrench into the mix, but if the death hags at this site are not interested, or are not willing to question some of the above. After all of these yearsâ?¦.Iâ??m still wasting me time.
    In closingâ?¦of all the people in Rock and Roll, with the exception of Brian Jones, in my opinionâ?¦Janis was murdered.
    Last edited by Pooh-Bear; 02-06-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Forever-27 Guest
    When the news broke worldwide that Janis was gone forever ... the morning of October 5th , her " friends " randsacked her house in Larkspur and stole a lot of her personel belongings. As far as her heroine overdose , janis was supposedly to have a threesum with a few other people. She supposedly bought heroine earlier from someone only known as " George ". She bought a bad batch. 90% pure heroine in fact. Lots of others that month who bought from this guy also died. In the end, her two other guests never showed , she shot up, passed out and died. Even banging her head and busting open her lower lip on the night stand.

I follow the Cass Elliot website. I always liked Mama Cass. I had read that Janis and Cass had a lunch date for October 5th. I don't know that to be true fact but I know if it is fact, Janis didn't make it.

She was never late at the studio , the morning of the 5th janis diidnt show like she always did. That got her band wondering if something had happened. They got the news from that mornings newspaper. She had died during the overnight.

Forever-27 Guest
    Also I always thought it being odd that Janis and Jimi Hendrix died two weeks apart almost to the day.

Pooh-Bear Guest
    Odd, well maybe...creepy, for sure. I know I have some facts wrong but from what I can recall. Both Brian Jones and Jim Morrison died on the same day 2 years apart. Janis and Jimi about 2 weeks apart. I remember reading that Mick Jagger thought he was next because he had a (J) in his name. Ah, hay tricky Micky...how's it going. Life was stranger than the days Morrison sang about back then...so who can say. But now that I think about it...yeah, it is odd. Did the powers that were really think any of these people were a threat? Now there is odd for you.

Forever-27 Guest
    Sometime during the overnight, October 3rd into the 4th we lost her.

42 years ago.

Gone but Never Forgotton. The drinks are on Pearl

The Janis display at the Hard Rock Cafe - San Francisco
    the cape is the same cape thats draped over the loveseat Janis is laying on , on the album cover for " Pearl "

Janis with Jerry Garcia and Bill Graham

Last edited by Forever-27; 10-03-2012 at 10:38 PM.

rest in peace, Janis.
    "if you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first" Kurt Cobain

[SIGPIC] http://phineas4cobain.tumblr.com/post/36392280360 [/SIGPIC]

You're still the queen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Cool pics Forever-27

RIP Janis...you'll never be forgotten.
    [SIGPIC]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Zoe_Zeppelin/Zepsig1.jpg[/SIGPIC]

still luv you janis!

Forever-27 Guest
    Zoe I threw someone who know someone whose cousins bf ( yea one of thoes things ) got me into the soundcheck for a Joan Jett and the Blackhearts concert at San Franciscos Fillmore. I was asked not to take pics of the pictures on the wall. But the Jerry, Graham , Joplin was too golden to not snap a picture of.

I like Amy Adams a lot, but I just can not see her as Janis Joplin. I really hope I'll be pleasantly surprised though. I'll definitely be seeing this.

http://www.tvballa.com/2012/12/janis...-adams-be-will
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Do mind the pedestrian, Richard."
    - Hyacinth Bucket

houndhell75 Guest
    So are there any pics of Janis on the slab? I would imagine it would be close to what Chris Farley looked like at the scene. Sorry to be morbid, but I like to look at the scene of these incidents because they tell so much more than what is written.

Bake Guest
    I really don't want to read through this whole thread to see if there's an answer to my question. So sorry if its been answered already and I'm asking again. Has anyone here ever stayed in her room at the hotel? I just called today and its available while I'm going to be in Cali and I want to stay in it!! Just want to know how haunted it is, if it really is.

AnnieSexton Guest
    I hope you get to stay in Janis' room but hope it's not haunted by her. She's really earned the right to rest in peace.

Forever-27 Guest
    Today is her birthday. Shed turn 70 years old, had she lived

Thanks to her music she will always be alive. Happy Birthday JJ. Your music always gives me a place to go when i'm feeling down and out.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Happy Birthday Janis, you are missed. And yes, we still have her music and always will. What more we might have had if she had lived...sigh.

Weird, isn't it, to think that both Janis and Sharon Tate, born about a week apart in Texas, and both dying untimely unnatural deaths in Los Angeles (albeit about 14 months apart), would both have been SEVENTY this month!

For those who don't get Janis Joplin's music, play a few songs, learn the words, and sing along. Go to town, once you hit the pitch, the highs, lows, the emotion, you get it. Just make sure nobody is around to hear it. Awkward! But awesome!

Saddletramp Guest
    She had the voice I hear in my dreams.

lisalouver Guest
    Last year, the MN historical society here held an event for a few months entitled "1968"

It was all about not just what happened in MN in 1968, but across the United States. Included of course were the assinations of MLK Jr And Bobby Kennedy. I had to go not only because I am a history buff, but because its the year I was born (yeah, I am THAT old )

Anyway, one of the items on display was an outfit that belonged to Janis. It was pants, a top and a boa (of course) the pants and top were paisly and LOUD LOL, but I must have stared at that one display for about 10 minutes. I could NOT get over how incredibly TINY she was. I mean she could not have weighed more than 100lbs tops and very short as well. Perhaps 5'2". I never knew that I guess, because to me, she always seemed larger than life.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Last year, the MN historical society here held an event for a few months entitled "1968"

It was all about not just what happened in MN in 1968, but across the United States. Included of course were the assinations of MLK Jr And Bobby Kennedy. I had to go not only because I am a history buff, but because its the year I was born (yeah, I am THAT old )

Anyway, one of the items on display was an outfit that belonged to Janis. It was pants, a top and a boa (of course) the pants and top were paisly and LOUD LOL, but I must have stared at that one display for about 10 minutes. I could NOT get over how incredibly TINY she was. I mean she could not have weighed more than 100lbs tops and very short as well. Perhaps 5'2". I never knew that I guess, because to me, she always seemed larger than life.

RIP
    Wait just a darn minute, I graduated high school in 1968....sorry I missed that exhibit. Janis' voice came all the way up from her toes, I swear!
    "When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself."
    -Anonymous

Pasadena Playhouse is doing a run of One Night With Janis this spring!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoBorn View Post
    Wait just a darn minute, I graduated high school in 1968....sorry I missed that exhibit. Janis' voice came all the way up from her toes, I swear!
    It was last year, and it was awesome!

Anyone watch the TV show "The Final 24" with Janis Joplin? It shows repeatedly on the Current TV channel. Apparently the heroin was 50% pure she had shot up - compared to the "normal" 3-4% purity that was going around - after being stomped on a few times. It's a pretty good recreation of the final 24 hours of her life.

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Pasadena Playhouse is doing a run of One Night With Janis this spring!
    Got my tickets! Going March 23rd.

Final 24: Janis Joplin

Final 24's Janis Joplin episode:

The lady playing Janis is a bit of a fox.
    My profile picture and avatar are pictures of the lovely Agnetha Fältskog from ABBA, not me. I am a man, and an admirer of her. Friend proposers take note!

Forever-27 Guest
    Just saw the Final 24 about her. I don't watch a lot of Tv so ive never seen it before. It made me cry. The San Jose Rep here is doing A Night With Janis, thinking about going to see it. I don't know why, I know the whole story.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Just saw the Final 24 about her. I don't watch a lot of Tv so ive never seen it before. It made me cry. The San Jose Rep here is doing A Night With Janis, thinking about going to see it. I don't know why, I know the whole story.
    If I may, please see it. Everyone see it if it comes to your town. It's amazing. It's not about her "whole story." It's about the music. Period.

One of the best musicians in the world´s history.
    PD: i´m wearing now a t-shirt with a pic of Janis
    When God goes to bed every night, he prays to CM Punk.

Forever-27 Guest
    Shed turn 71 tomorrow , Janurary 19th had she lived

wonkavision Guest
    Janis Joplin and Tom Jones....Tom looks in awe of JJ.

Happy Birthday, Pearl!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Joplins car to be auctioned. Anyone have a half of a million laying about?

http://theberry.com/2015/09/15/rock-...rice-3-photos/

To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

Love it. Good post Mcafgr.

Quote Originally Posted by wonkavision View Post
    Janis Joplin and Tom Jones....Tom looks in awe of JJ.
    OMG, this is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

SHARONTATEFAN2014 Guest

Thumbs up Janis.......

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I have the feeling she probably would have went the same way Grace Slick did - retired and took up painting pictures.
    I totally agree with Aries65;98 , I believe Janis would have gone the route of Bonnie Raitte became a serious country blues musician (which "Me & Bobby McGee" proved she could sing anything). Janis as we serious Joplinphiles knows, was a painter way before she even started singing. Wish Janis had survived, but Heaven sure has one hell of a choir!

Linnie, never thought about Janis & Sharon being born the same month! Same state too! I collect Sharon 8x10's & her movies, documentaries on DVD, plus books on her but not on the murders, plus I collect Janis on vinyl, Cd, DVD, books etc.

Sure wish the Joplin family would keep Janis' Porsche in the family but can you imagine the insurance they pay on that car? If were to ever become a millionaire, I'd love to own Janis' car, but an autographed photo is probably more easy to obtain. Even a good quality copy would be cool!
    Last edited by cindyt; 03-03-2016 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Spamming the thread. This is a combination of Posts 450 and 451 into 449.

50. 10-17-2015, 10:29 AM
    Reason
    Consecutive post (1 of 3)

51. 10-17-2015, 10:35 AM
    Reason
    Consecutive post (2 of 3)

Quote Originally Posted by SHARONTATEFAN2014 View Post
    I totally agree with Aries65;98 , I believe Janis would have gone the route of Bonnie Raitte became a serious country blues musician (which "Me & Bobby McGee" proved she could sing anything). Janis as we serious Joplinphiles knows, was a painter way before she even started singing. Wish Janis had survived, but Heaven sure has one hell of a choir!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHARONTATEFAN2014 View Post
    Sure wish the Joplin family would keep Janis' Porsche in the family but can you imagine the insurance they pay on that car? If were to ever become a millionaire, I'd love to own Janis' car, but an autographed photo is probably more easy to obtain. Even a good quality copy would be cool!

Please combine these two posts.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD