Page 1 of 23 12310 ... LastLast

Thread: Best and Worst of Horror Movies

onehunglow Guest

Best and Worst of Horror Movies

[SIZE=3]Is it just me?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I have never watched â??The Exorcist, Halloween, Friday the 13th, Chucky, or any of the torture and gore movies. I did see Snakes On A Plane with my Sons and we laughed our asses off. Someone brought a rubber snake and it was getting tossed around. I am a total DH and gore doesnâ??t bother me at all in real life. I donâ??t know if it is the torture or just senseless killing, but I just wonâ??t watch those movies. My wife loves them but I canâ??t get her in to a funeral home to do a viewing as the body freaks her out. She thinks they move. I saw too much of that in real life to see it in a movie. Odd.[/SIZE]

Guest Guest
    Sorry I am a Horror movie fanatic and this is my favorite time of the year. Halloween! All the scary movies come on.... yay.

Bake Guest
    I can't watch the gore movies anymore. As a teeneager I saw waaay too many, Motel Hell, Halloween, anything with gore and such in it, my b/f dragged me off to. I can't watch them, give me a good murder mystery, THAT I can watch.

I'm more of a psychological thriller type of person - movies like the Sixth Sense, The Ring, The Others and stuff along that genre.

I've always thought slasher movies like the ones mentioned by the OP were lame and made my eyes roll more than anything.

Altho I do like the Saw movies. I wouldn't actually call them "slasher" tho...

firegilnotguns Guest
    Man, horror films scare me so much so I don't watch them anymore, but they were plenty popular when I was a teenager. I've seen all of the Halloween films except for the newest one. The third one is soooooo darn funny though, it's nothing to do with Michael Myers, I suggest it to anyone who would want to watch watch it just for fun! After seeing my first Halloween film, though (Halloween 4) I spent on the floor in my parents' bedroom for a week (and yeah, I think I was about 12...)

TrueBlueAngel Guest
    I watched The Exorcist way back last year for the first time and can honestly say that was 2 hours of my life wasted and was never getting back! There was nothing scary about it, just silliness and poor acting. But then it was scary in its day and what with the kind of horror films we get now, theres just no contest.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueAngel View Post
    I watched The Exorcist way back last year for the first time and can honestly say that was 2 hours of my life wasted and was never getting back! There was nothing scary about it, just silliness and poor acting. But then it was scary in its day and what with the kind of horror films we get now, theres just no contest.
    Yeah, I thought Linda Blair effing herself with the cross was pretty hilarious too!

I've seen a few but horror movies aren't really my bag...

sweetie103 Guest
    Horror movies are not my thing but I do see some if they interest enough.

i agree with Bake. When I was younger I could stomach gore better than I do now. I Spit On Your Grave maded me physically sick!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

OBX Guest
    I pretty much stick to comedies. My whole life is either a drama or horror story, back and forth.

shellileigh Guest
    one halloween night rented all Nightmare of Elm Street. I hate snakes, and watched snakes on the plane and freaked.

Btvs2678 Guest
    I can't watch gory movies. They scare the hell out of me. The movie "Scream" scared the crap out of because all I could think was some idiot out there is going "That's a good idea." I can handle the pics on Scott's website but, not the movie stuff. I am wierd, I know.

erin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I'm more of a psychological thriller type of person - movies like the Sixth Sense, The Ring, The Others and stuff along that genre.

I've always thought slasher movies like the ones mentioned by the OP were lame and made my eyes roll more than anything.

Altho I do like the Saw movies. I wouldn't actually call them "slasher" tho...

i'm right there with ya. the movies that scare me the most are the ones that are most likely to happen in real life. the gore doesn't bother me. alot of times it makes me laugh because it's so corny. my hubby likes to buy the slasher flicks at halloween time, but i think the psychological stuff is way scarier.

Cathy J. Guest
    I used to be into horror flicks when I was younger. Much less so now that I am older.
    Looking back now, maybe it was the fact so many of them were rated "R" and being in my early to mid teens back then and seeing such stuff was cool. Back then the local theatres around here didnt card those under 17 to see R rated movies. Today its different. When I was in 7th grade, I remember several of my friends went to see Porky's without any trouble. Most of those kids weren't even in their teens yet.

There are some movies that I really enjoyed back then but have a hard time watching today.

My mother was a big fan the movies 9 to 5 and Stir Crazy. Even though I have 9 to 5 on VHS, I haven't seen it since my mom's death.

The Lost Boys, I really enjoyed the movie when it came out. Saw it a few times. Sadly I had a friend who became very obsessed with that movie. Not only did he saw that movie well over 200 times within a 3 year span, but he started to believe he was a vampire. He even had "LST BOY" on his license plate. He killed himself in the early 90s at the age of 24. In his sucide note he said that Vampires dont live long so why should he?

The parents of course blamed the movie, but most of us didn't since he had other issues too which his parents would not accept. Either way we havent seen The Lost Boys since.

DeadRinger Guest
    I've seen The Lost Boys, Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist, The Omen, Rose Red, and most of Stephen King's adaptations (including the most recent - Riding The Bullet.) I think I only watched because I had to, ya know? Like, "Wow, I can't believe you've never seen Rosemary's Baby! Classic movie!". Well, now I have.

I've never sat through any of the Nightmare, Scream or Friday the 13th movies. Just didn't appeal to me.

Oh, and I've seen the Evil Dead franchise. Bruce Campbell rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadRinger View Post
    Oh, and I've seen the Evil Dead franchise. Bruce Campbell rocks.
    Bruce Campbell does rock. I adore him.

The first Halloween movie scared me sleepless for several nights. I stayed up late one night when I was about 12 (a long time ago) to catch it on TV.

I don't like gory movies, but I love thrillers. Wait Until Dark is one of my favorites.

ST Moron Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    The Lost Boys, I really enjoyed the movie when it came out. Saw it a few times. Sadly I had a friend who became very obsessed with that movie. Not only did he saw that movie well over 200 times within a 3 year span, but he started to believe he was a vampire. He even had "LST BOY" on his license plate. He killed himself in the early 90s at the age of 24. In his sucide note he said that Vampires dont live long so why should he?
    Speaking as a horrible, anal-retentive completist, you have no idea how distressing it is to read that.

What I mean is: the whole point to vampires is that they are (in a sense) beyond death. That's why they are commonly called "The Undead."

And that being the case, the best way he could have emulated a vampire was by doing his darndest to live forever.

But I guess if he was a big Lost Boys fan, he was thinking of how long the vampires in the film lasted. And since the whole point to vampire films is to kill the vampire at some point, I suppose that's what he was looking at. [shrugs]

As far as I can tell, though, barring accidents with silver and stake-wielding villagers, vampires are supposed to live forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    The parents of course blamed the movie, but most of us didn't since he had other issues too which his parents would not accept.
    You know, I wonder about that myself.

My own crack-brained theory is that some people are more "susceptible" to movies like the Lost Boys than others. That is, they're far more likely to take bad ideas on board than the general population.

The kicker here is that to make things "bomb-proof," you'd pretty much have to make entertainment sterile and boring (no horror films, etc.). IOW: to prevent the "susceptible" people from picking up bad ideas, you'd have to unfairly penalize everyone else.

Whenever I hear stories like the one you've related, though, the first thing I do is look at the parents. And more often than not, when a kid goes off the rails, it usually turns out the parents should have been around more.

I guess I just hate it when people blame video games/movies/etc. for causing people to do bad things. I mean, I loved Up in Smoke, but I was not "inspired" to start building a van out of marijuana once I left the theatre.

It reminds me of a comment I heard an old-timer make about the post-war US. After the Second World War ended, a ton of vets brought back guns of all shapes and sizes as souvenirs. There were just guns all over the place. But even so, somone pulling a "Rambo" or "going postal" was almost unheard of.

And I think that that was a reflection of the discipline that the people of that time were expected to exercise over themselves. Not to mention the fact that the children of the time feared their parents more than just about anything else. @_@

I remember seeing Heathers for the first time and how a school "shooting" was actually used as a comic device. And it was funny, the way that they did it. But I guess that's because even in 1989, when that movie came out, school shootings were still pretty rare.

Whenever anyone wants to point the finger at a particular movie, video game, etc., I'm always reminded of Dick Cavett's comment about how "There's so much comedy on television. Does that cause comedy in the streets?"
    Last edited by ST Moron; 10-15-2007 at 04:21 AM.

Scariest movie ever!

In honor of halloween. What movie scared the hell out of you? I'm not a fan of horror movies but I have seen a few. The original Halloween with Jamie Lee Curtis did have me on the edge of my seat. All of the Halloweens that followed never really scared me. That first one did! I was just a kid so that may have something to do with it. I watched it again last year and still found it scary.

SW4 Guest
    As a "yoof", I would have to say "Village of the Damned" or "Quatermass and the Pit" (non-UK members may not be familiar with the Quatermass film, but it's a must-see if you can get your hands on it)

As an adult, "Alien" (the original)......saw it with my mate when it first opened; had to go to the pub for a quick one before going home

Scary Movie

One word... Ishtar.

firegilnotguns Guest
    I would have said Halloween 4 because when I saw it I had to sleep on the floor of my parents' bedroom for like a week...but I rented it again when I was in university and found it to actually be pretty funny rather than terribly scary. The Ring scared the crap out of me and I saw it within a few months of re-renting Halloween 4 so I'll go with that!

stinkythejokedog Guest
    When I was a kid it was the Birds and Jaws during my teens..then Poltergeist

Danny62 Guest
    This wasn't a movie but the Episode titled "The Grim Reaper" from the thriller series is pretty damn scary. And it didn't need any blood or gore to achive that...I think those kind of shows just make me laugh personally!!!

knothere Guest
    the changeling
    the grudge

ComputerGuy Guest
    Rosemary's baby

"The Exorcist" Seen it when I was 10. For some reason the Satan movies are the ones that scared me the most

JeffD Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    the changeling
    the grudge
    Great flick! One of my favorites.

sweetpea77 Guest
    I know this movie is big on the cheese now but "The Blair Witch Project" scared the crap outta me when it came out. I couldn't go into the woods for weeks after that.

Carnival of Souls (1962), very creepy.
    [Img][/img]
    "There are three things I've learned never to discuss
    with people: religion, politics and The Great Pumpkin."
    - Linus -
    It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown
    https://youtu.be/H2H0TfvNU3w

DeadRinger Guest
    Cujo and when I was younger, Gremlins.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Hands down, "A Star Is Born" (Barbra Streisand version). I still have nightmares, 30 years later...

xenaswolf Guest
    The Exorcist
    Rosemary's Baby
    It
    Original Halloween
    Original Friday the 13th
    Last edited by xenaswolf; 10-18-2007 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Thought of more to add

mommafreak Guest
    The one with Mel Gibson and Jauquin Phoenix (sp?), the aliens, where he takes a baseball bat to one of them at the end. The name escapes me.

Bashterd Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    the changeling
    the grudge
    Oh my gosh someone said The Changeling With George C Scott no one ever knows what I'm talkin about when I mention that movie. That was the best, when the wheelchair chases the girlfriend around the house oh yea freaky!!!

I would also have to say Magic with a very young Anthony Hopkins that freaked the hell out a me!!!

WendyK Guest
    "IT" Scared the shit out of me! I hate clowns to this day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The one with Mel Gibson and Jauquin Phoenix (sp?), the aliens, where he takes a baseball bat to one of them at the end. The name escapes me.
    Signs (2002)
    [Img][/img]
    "There are three things I've learned never to discuss
    with people: religion, politics and The Great Pumpkin."
    - Linus -
    It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown
    https://youtu.be/H2H0TfvNU3w

fanable Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
    "IT" Scared the shit out of me! I hate clowns to this day!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you think the movie is scary, don't read the book - it's about 1000x scarier (and also my favorite all-time book...what does that say about me? lol)

I'll go with the Excorcist at the top of my list, ESPECIALLY the version with her spider-walking down the stairs. I still can't watch it (and that's even if I can watch it...most of the time I cover my eyes) without being majorly creeped out for days.

Other movies include Blair Witch and The Ring

letty1970 Guest

Wink

The shining I couldnt sleep for a week. Recently Hostel .Who thinks that stuff up?

Nik Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fanable View Post
    If you think the movie is scary, don't read the book - it's about 1000x scarier (and also my favorite all-time book...what does that say about me? lol)
    Totally agreed. Actually, I dislike the movie sometimes because it strays so far from the book... but it's true that a lot of stuff in that couldn't be shown. And the book is really scary.

GODDESS6 Guest
    "assault on precinct 13 " the origianl, not the ethan hawke remake~ i watch all kinds of horror, but this being based on true stuff gave me hightmares for some reason, especialy the part where the little girl goes back to the ice cream truck cuz she got the wrong kind of ice cream & bam he just shoots her down~

GODDESS6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fanable View Post

I'll go with the Excorcist at the top of my list, ESPECIALLY the version with her spider-walking down the stairs. I still can't watch it (and that's even if I can watch it...most of the time I cover my eyes) without being majorly creeped out for days.

Other movies include Blair Witch and The Ring
    i loved the "blair witch" movies & "the ring" movies, but the exorcist re-release as you mentioned when she is spiderwalking down the stairs totally freaked me out bigtime!!!~

different kind of girl Guest
    The Hand. Granted, I haven't seen it since I was little but it scared the hell out of me!

I see dead people Guest
    I love the new Hills Have Eyes movie, but and I find this strange as I love horror flicks, was The Descent, well everthing but the ending.

GODDESS6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by different kind of girl View Post
    The Hand. Granted, I haven't seen it since I was little but it scared the hell out of me!
    the one w/ michael caine?, they have been playing that one on cable recently & i gave another watch, hadn't seen it since the 80's & it still freaked me out~

ibestevie Guest
    "Duel". A made for TV movie in the early 70s. Spielberg's first time directing. I saw it when I was about ten years old and it led to a lifelong fear of big trucks. Get the DVD. It's a lost classic!!

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    Not able to watch horror flicks...Which really kicks my ass, considering I work in a video store and get asked about them 10 million times a day...

But when people ask me what my favorite scary movie is...

I tell them, "Spice World". *nods*

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bashterd View Post
    Oh my gosh someone said The Changeling With George C Scott no one ever knows what I'm talkin about when I mention that movie. That was the best, when the wheelchair chases the girlfriend around the house oh yea freaky!!!

I would also have to say Magic with a very young Anthony Hopkins that freaked the hell out a me!!!
    Yes, The Changeling

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffsboys4 View Post
    In honor of halloween. What movie scared the hell out of you? I'm not a fan of horror movies but I have seen a few. The original Halloween with Jamie Lee Curtis did have me on the edge of my seat. All of the Halloweens that followed never really scared me. That first one did! I was just a kid so that may have something to do with it. I watched it again last year and still found it scary.
    1. The Exorcist
    2. Halloween (first one)
    3. ANd, of all things, this wierd movie called 'Prince of Darkness" (had Alice Cooper in it, and a memorable scene where this girl pretty much turns into a pizza. ughhh

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    Totally agreed. Actually, I dislike the movie sometimes because it strays so far from the book... but it's true that a lot of stuff in that couldn't be shown. And the book is really scary.

AGREE, AGREE, AGREE!! That was the scariest freaking book I have EVER read!