Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: St. Patricks Day!

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    Oh yeah, that really rolls off the tongue. Happy Indigenous Peoples Day.
    giggle

Forever-27 Guest
    Im not irish, nobody I know is Irish and I dont drinkbeer let alone alcohol. It would be utterly pointless to me at least. For me its just one more day that may screw me into getting my checks late.

Screwtape Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    Why?

Because how many other "holidays" that are not considered "National Holiday's" have:

1. people lining the streets for parades,
    2. every one dressed in the same color,
    3. everyone claim to be something even though they are not,
    4. most people going out to bars, restaurants etc. for fellowship with friends, family and people that just happen to be out because of the "Holiday".
    5. And what other "Holiday" makes a city (Chicago) want to turn all of it's waterways green?

Why? Why not, people all over the country and world celebrate it anyway.

Mardi Gras? OK, maybe not the everyone in the same color part unless you count "shirtless" as a color.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    I've got Irish in me as well not that that matters but St Patrick's Day always falls in our March Break (which is a week the kids get off of school) so for some of us Canadians, St. Patrick Day is already a holiday

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Mardi Gras? OK, maybe not the everyone in the same color part unless you count "shirtless" as a color.
    again you've made me giggle Screwy

Screwtape Guest
    Ever have some German in you? A ringy ding ding!

My mum is Irish (ok, adoptive mum) and she told me they emigrated to get away from the shit over in Ireland...... a fresh start. We celebrate St Pats day in Aussie, but no public holiday. I never understood why you would need a day off because you are Irish.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Ever have some German in you? A ringy ding ding!
    Give this man a cigar

Well, everybody here in Boston started celebrating yesterday (13 arrests in Boston just yesterday- woo hoo!). We have tomorrow off as it's also "Evacuation Day", the day the British Regulars left Boston for good, so it gives us an excuse to make it a holiday for the Boston area schools. Nobody would show up for work anyway; the bars open at 6am tomorrow. They probably won't show up the next day, either, or show up late with hangovers. Just come up with a good excuse to make it a state holiday like we did! Or take a couple of personal days!

Any of my Southie compadres spend the night in jail? I was a good girl!

AaronVail Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    Well your welcome to your opinion, but a lot of people enjoy studying the history, the struggles, and the journey of their family from wherever they came from. Maybe if my family came here 200 years ago and not 70 years ago I wouldnt care as much. But I think personally if we look at our past we can find out a lot about ourselves.
    I agree.

Meli Guest
    Well your welcome to your opinion, but a lot of people enjoy studying the history, the struggles, and the journey of their family from wherever they came from. Maybe if my family came here 200 years ago and not 70 years ago I wouldnt care as much. But I think personally if we look at our past we can find out a lot about ourselves.

Exactly! Our history makes us who we are NOW!

AaronVail Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Melicious625 View Post
    Exactly! Our history makes us who we are NOW!
    It's the family though, not the country.

I read about my family's history all the time. It's quite fascinating and I'd love to visit. But I've no real soul connection to the country. I have friends who are Irish and have never set foot in Ireland. They were born here, raised here. They still get teary-eyed and refer to Ireland as their home. I'm like, what in the hell is your deal?

vandal Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronVail View Post
    It's the family though, not the country.

I read about my family's history all the time. It's quite fascinating and I'd love to visit. But I've no real soul connection to the country. I have friends who are Irish and have never set foot in Ireland. They were born here, raised here. They still get teary-eyed and refer to Ireland as their home. I'm like, what in the hell is your deal?
    Im with you, I would never refer to Ireland as my home even though because my grandparents are from there I could get duel citizenship. But everything I know is America, so yes I am American. I have been to Ireland, I have met family there, I never got to meet my grandparents but I love to hear the stories that my family has told about about them, Ireland was such a big part of their lives even though they knew that they could make a better life for themselves here.

Nerak Guest
    I too am from Irish descent, my family has been in Canada almost 3 generations, and we celebrate St. Paddys day with great fan fare...I don't think it needs to be a national holiday though...

lass1 Guest
    I think it needs to be a holiday so ppl can get a day off between New Years and Easter. Also I'm partial to green lol. And yes I'm of Irish descent also.

sheri Guest
    Fuck no. We have more than enough 'national holidays' as it is. Perhaps too many, imho. Don't need to add another to that list. Kids get way more than enough days off from school as it is during the normal school year, no need to add to it either. Especially when CA economy is such that we have a thread here about teachers being cut.

GrinReaper Guest
    The day that should be a natl' holiday would be March 18th. Cause then that would give those who have St. Patty hangovers time to recover.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post
    The day that should be a natl' holiday would be March 18th. Cause then that would give those who have St. Patty hangovers time to recover.
    Good thought GR!

KarmaKat Guest

Happy St Patricks Day!

Hope everyone has a Wonderful St Patricks Day!!!!!!

msmojorisin84 Guest
    Hey!! Happy St Pat's, to you too!!!

Snoopy Guest
    Happy St. Patty's Day all you Irish and non Irish Hags!!

Shano Guest
    Happy St. Patrick's Day to you too KarmaKat!!

Erin Go Braugh from the desert to all!

guardmom2008 Guest
    Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!!

Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

BigBootyJudy Guest
    Happy St. Patrick's Day !! Got the corned beef in the crock pot with Guiness!!! Anyone else cooking up a feast?

AaronVail Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sheri View Post
    Fuck no. We have more than enough 'national holidays' as it is. Perhaps too many, imho. Don't need to add another to that list. Kids get way more than enough days off from school as it is during the normal school year, no need to add to it either. Especially when CA economy is such that we have a thread here about teachers being cut.
    I don't think kids share your opinion. And what's too much time off?

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Im with you, I would never refer to Ireland as my home even though because my grandparents are from there I could get duel citizenship. But everything I know is America, so yes I am American. I have been to Ireland, I have met family there, I never got to meet my grandparents but I love to hear the stories that my family has told about about them, Ireland was such a big part of their lives even though they knew that they could make a better life for themselves here.
    I agree. My grandmother was Irish and my grandfather was from Wales on my dad's side and my grandparents on my mom's side are Scottish all the way.
    I was born and raised in Canada as were my parents. This is my homeland and I'm Canadian. I have Irish roots but I don't consider Ireland, Wales or Scotland my homeland.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Happy St Paddy's Day everyone!!!!!

Meli Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBootyJudy View Post
    Happy St. Patrick's Day !! Got the corned beef in the crock pot with Guiness!!! Anyone else cooking up a feast?

We do corned beef and cabbage every St Pat's day, really makes the house smell nummmmmers!

Happy St Patricks Day all

beatlebaby4 Guest
    My Irish Grandmother used to make that alot. I can still smell that stuff!

rickenbacker Guest
    St. Patty's day AND my anniversary! 19 years ago today. Mrs. Rickenbacker and I met on St. Patrick's Day in '88, were married on the same day in '90.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Happy Anniversary Rick!!!!! Cool

guardmom2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacker View Post
    St. Patty's day AND my anniversary! 19 years ago today. Mrs. Rickenbacker and I met on St. Patrick's Day in '88, were married on the same day in '90.
    Happy Anniversary Rick!!

Happy St. Patricks Day To All!

Wanna see my grandkids?

leeny994 Guest
    Happy Saint Patrick's day everyone!! I don't wear green, I wear blue for Saint Patrick's Day---that was actually the original traditional color for the day!

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leeny994 View Post
    Happy Saint Patrick's day everyone!! I don't wear green, I wear blue for Saint Patrick's Day---that was actually the original traditional color for the day!
    cool, didn't know that

rickenbacker Guest
    I don't even own anything green! I should have borrowed my kid's John Deere hat.

RubySlippers Guest

charlietangodelta Guest
    Thanks everyone! and the same right back at you! :0p

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecold View Post
    Ahhhhhhh the Gaelic me lad always makes me heart flutter....stay safe over there, and Happy Paddy`s Day to all

Goldy Guest
    Happy St. Pat's to all!

ShatteredMirror Guest
    Beannachtai na Feile Padraig to you all.

And, in advance, does anyone know of a sure-fire hangover cure which I'll no doubt be needing tomorrow morning?

sheri Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronVail View Post
    I don't think kids share your opinion. And what's too much time off?
    When kids get a whole WEEK for Thanksgiving, when back in the day all we got as 4 days, now a days kids also get a whole WEEK for President's...back in the day we only got 1 maybe 2 days NOT a whole friggin week...add to it floating "holidays", in addition to the 2 weeks for Christmas, MLK Day, inservice days (more than what we got), and more minimum/early release days...

THAT is too much time off...Not to mention roughly near 3 months for summer....and I don't care if they share my opinion..that's why they are KIDS and I'm an ADULT...

Chevyheaven Guest
    Have a happy st patricks day.

rickenbacker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ShatteredMirror View Post
    Beannachtai na Feile Padraig to you all.

And, in advance, does anyone know of a sure-fire hangover cure which I'll no doubt be needing tomorrow morning?
    Hair of the dog, man...hair of the dog!

Somewhere twixt San Antonio & Corpus Christi

More Cheese Please Guest

Tommy Makem- Four Green Fields

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsaQPobUZiM

TallulahDahling Guest

rickenbacker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecold View Post
    Hmmm....