Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: St. Patricks Day!

St. Patricks Day!

Its coming up. My favorite single day o the year. I will be in SF at the parade then hit a few pubs. Im goin to pretend i'm Oliver Reed. Guinness, corned beef and cabbage all day long. Maybe even down a Irish car bomb or two. Do any of you guys have any plans?
    Last edited by JefeStone; 03-01-2008 at 08:16 AM.

itsintheeyes Guest
    Ugh! Everytime I think of corned beef I think of that cartoon illustration in Playboy.

Never seen it

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Not a holiday we celebrate in this house. My husband is a Brit and still remembers some very scary IRA bombs when he was a kid in the north of England. My family was old school Italian and we celebrated Columbus Day. Yeah yeah, I know the history, and my mom was a teacher, so it wasn't a big secret but we still did it. Tradition.

poppie Guest
    St Patrick's Day is the best day of the year. My favorite holiday. Don't drink a lot now, but I always have some green beer on March 17.

May good luck be with you wherever you go, and your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow. Slainte!

Snoopy Guest
    I'm part Irish..I hate the Corned Beef and Cabbage thing..but can always count on a night out with friends for some green beer!

My first and last name is Irish - altho I'm 90% English (Mom & Dad's side)and about 10% Irish (Dad's side), but I don't ever have to worry about wearing green every year, thanks to the shamrock tattoo on my lower forearm.

I love corned beef and cabbage, altho I haven't had it in awhile. I've never had green beer - but I love Guiness and a lot of English beer - including Boddington's (or Boddie's - as the call it in the UK!).

Jazbabee Guest
    We don't celebrate it either - it's become an excuse for people to get drunk and act like supreme assholes

Not everyone that drinks is a asshole though. I happen know a lot of clean and sober assholes. Assholes are everywhere.

Guest Guest
    Not really, I'm getting ready to dig a hole & hide though......My birthday is 2 days after St. Patricks & I'll be turning 40...

*sniff* Goodbye to my 30's..........

Mrs. Watson Guest
    I've never had green beer - but I love Guiness and a lot of English beer - including Boddington's (or Boddie's - as the call it in the UK!).

All of my husband's favorites, along with Newcastle. He also likes Guinness and champagne, I forget what it's called, Black And Gold? We have a few old Guinness ads framed, too. My Goodness, My Guinness! and the toucan one.

Me, I won't drink beer on a bet. Green beer is particularly horrifying.
    Last edited by Mrs. Watson; 03-01-2008 at 09:03 AM.

Guest Guest
    It is a "holiday" that depending on where you live at that could be a big thing or nothing. In my opinion its just another fucking day. I'm white. I don't know if I'm irish, english, scottish or whatever. Down south here, except for Savannah, GA, who has a HUGE parade, its a day some people wear green so they won't get pinched. But more power to ya........

smooches27 Guest
    It's my favorite day of the year too!! It's my birthday!!! I don't know what I'm doing yet. I'll probably go to a hockey game and then go have some more fun!!!

i've never lived anywhere where this holiday was celebrated hardcore. i buy myself some guinness and celebrate on my own. my last name is irish, after all.
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    We don't celebrate it either - it's become an excuse for people to get drunk and act like supreme assholes
    It's the same excuse they use for Cinco de Mayo in some places too...

More Cheese Please Guest
    I LOVE St. Pat's Day!!!! My Great Grandparents were "off the boat" Irish... Brooklyn via Ellis Island. Most of my family still lives there. My cousin is former NYPD... a lot of us are on the force and in the city!!!! HUGE DAY in our household!!! Head to Kell's and fire a few down!

Kugmu Guest
    When I was in the service and stationed in San Diego many many years ago the best day for drinking was the day after St. Patrickâ??s Day. That was green beer blow-out day. Mugs for $0.05 and pitchers for $0.25.
    Good Times.

MbalmR Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    Not everyone that drinks is a asshole though. I happen know a lot of clean and sober assholes. Assholes are everywhere.
    LOL, well said, Jefe, well said.

We used to have riots in this town on St. Pat's. The university students would get all shined up, start fires and toss cars and such. It got so bad that the university finally scheduled spring break to coincide with St. Pat's Day so the students would be gone.

To answer your question, I'd like to try making some of that Irish soda bread (?) that I've seen on several recipe boards. Sounds yummy to me.

lisalouver Guest
    Love, love, love it.

The one day where I allow myself to get really wasted!

I ran for Miss Shamrock already in our city and rode in the parade! I go every year. It's a blast. I ride on a huge bus with many others and we go bar to bar with those who sponse the parade.

A tradition.

This year, I might skip the drinking and march in the parade with my kid. This is the first year that the parade here is not on St Pats. It is on Sat the 15th so as not to coincide with Holy week. That gives us two days to drink!!!

WendyK Guest
    I will have to get take out of Corned Beef and Cabbage.My family hates the way it smells so I can't cook it at home.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
    I will have to get take out of Corned Beef and Cabbage.My family hates the way it smells so I can't cook it at home.
    Yea, all the bars have it for free up here on St Pats Day! I only eat it once a year too.

We have a parade here.

Of course, we have parades for most everything.

Just finished Mardi Gras, on the heels of the Thanksgiving parade, followed by the Christmas parade, now comes St. Paddy's.

Yea!!! Look everybody...it's a parade!

PvN73 Guest
    We dont have a parade or anything but every Irish pub (and there are HEAPS of them here) put on special events. My local one down the street blocks off the side street and has music and stuff all day andwell into the night. It is a great day for all!!!

We have a parade here and they dye the river (creek/drainage ditch) green.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    I am probably going to just stay in. I usually don't go out drinking on amature nights.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    We have a parade here and they dye the river (creek/drainage ditch) green.
    I love it in Chicago when they dye the river green, I think that is so cool! Have not been to Chicago for a St Pat's in many years!

Guest Guest
    In Mass they don't need to dye the river green....

The Charles river is a sad shade of Perma green!!

firegilnotguns Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    Not a holiday we celebrate in this house. My husband is a Brit and still remembers some very scary IRA bombs when he was a kid in the north of England.
    Same here...Glasgow is very much a city with sectarian issues and it can be quite "not safe" to go out on St. Patrick's Day.
    Btw, actual Irish people don't eat corned beef and cabbage. (I've been to Ireland, didn't see it anywhere, and my husband's grandmother was born and raised in Ireland and says people don't/didn't do that.)
    Apparently it started with immigrants in the US not being able to afford much else, something like that. (It would have to be a reason like that for me to eat corned beef and cabbage...ugh!)

Anyway, don't mean to be a downer...I always enjoyed St. Patrick's Day when I lived in the US!

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by firegilnotguns View Post
    Same here...Glasgow is very much a city with sectarian issues and it can be quite "not safe" to go out on St. Patrick's Day.
    Btw, actual Irish people don't eat corned beef and cabbage. (I've been to Ireland, didn't see it anywhere, and my husband's grandmother was born and raised in Ireland and says people don't/didn't do that.)
    Apparently it started with immigrants in the US not being able to afford much else, something like that. (It would have to be a reason like that for me to eat corned beef and cabbage...ugh!)

Anyway, don't mean to be a downer...I always enjoyed St. Patrick's Day when I lived in the US!
    No harm done...my great grandmother and my grandmother were both 100 percent Irish and ate corned beef and cabbage. I don't know if they ate it over in Ireland before they came over, but they ate it for sure!!!

I have not been to Ireland, but hope to one day. I don't think I will go for St Pats day though, it seems like it is more fun here!

I love Saint Pats Day and am as Irish as they come!!!

RaRaRamona Guest
    Well I don't drink but I do fix green treats for the kids in my class. I wear green too.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    Well I don't drink but I do fix green treats for the kids in my class. I wear green too.
    Green treats are fun for the kids. I bring some to preschool for my kidlet and her friends. She is decked head to toe in green and shamrocks!

bluebear71 Guest
    Guinness, corned beef and cabbage all day long. Maybe even down a Irish car bomb or two.
    With that diet you will BE a car bomb.

deathybrad Guest
    It'll take a lot of Irish Spring to get that smell out.

knothere Guest
    cabbage makes me gassey

Good point, maybe I should invest in a bottle of beano.

spoiledkitty Guest
    Well St. Patty's day is my mom's birthday and little miss princess here should be making her debut into the world about then! (I'm hoping for that day actually) I have talked with her several times during my pregnancy and she knows that's when she should appear(LOL). But anyway with it being my mom's birthday it's always a special occasion and it means so much to all of us. We all make sure to wear something green for her and make her a shamrock cake and turn her drinks (if they are light in color) green for the day. I say the perfect day for an irish lady like my mom. and I sport a tribute to my mom and my irish heritage 365/366 days a YEAR!
    Last edited by spoiledkitty; 03-02-2008 at 08:37 AM.

MbalmR Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebear71 View Post
    With that diet you will BE a car bomb.
    LOL!!!!!

bluebear71 Guest
    Anyway, to actually answer the question. We don't really go anywhere for St. Patty's day. Growing up my family didn't really do anything for it, so as an adult, I still don't.

bluebear71 Guest
    Thats just basic safety.

cindyk Guest
    it's weird that it's really a holy day but people go out and get wasted. i don't know about you but i've never been to church on st. patty's day...

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyk View Post
    it's weird that it's really a holy day but people go out and get wasted. i don't know about you but i've never been to church on st. patty's day...
    It is strange. I do go to St Patrick's Day mass here, but it is a huge deal in Saint Paul, as our city was settled by mostly Irish immigrants. There is a huge mass at our Cathederal here and you have to basically park 8-10 blocks away. Always packed.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    cabbage makes me gassey

Here's a tip from someone who loves the cabbage soup diet: eat it anyway; when you feel the bubble, bend all the way over, head to the floor, & the gas will rise, up to your intestines. It all comes out on one bubble & yer done. Whoohoo!

i make corned beef n cabbage smoothies! lish!
    pull the string!

minimomny Guest
    Mmmm Corned Beef and Cabbage w/ Potatoes and Carrots. Rye Bread with Butter.

I also do something fun for the kids, I color their milk green in the am!
    Last edited by minimomny; 03-03-2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Added a line.

beautygirlsmom Guest
    All four of my grandparents were Irish born, and we never had corned beef and cabbage. My Nan would make a boiled dinner - ham, potatoes, carrots, and sometimes cabbage; and my Grandmom would make soda bread. My Da (Grandpop) would get drunk, and make us dance jigs and reelsfor quarters - or he'd give the little kids pennies to promise to die for Ireland - I kid you not. One big old dyfunctional family holiday for us!

My girls danced - my oldest one was a champion - so we always spent the day driving from performance to performance. Now we just stay home, eat my Nan's traditional boiled dinner, and watch bad Irish movies and TV shows. This year, it's Father Ted.

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    You don't need an excuse to get drunk and be assholes!

I like St. Patty's, not my favorite holiday (My fav is the 4th of July) but a close second. I'll most likely be in L.A with friends who are throwing a St. Patty's Day party. WOHOOooooOOOOoO! Partyin' it up!!!

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. James Dean View Post
    You don't need an excuse to get drunk and be assholes!

I like St. Patty's, not my favorite holiday (My fav is the 4th of July) but a close second. I'll most likely be in L.A with friends who are throwing a St. Patty's Day party. WOHOOooooOOOOoO! Partyin' it up!!!
    Have a great time at the party, sounds fun!

Two corn beef and cabbage, coming right up.

Gardner32 Guest
    Uhm, I think I'll wear my green bracelet!

Its coming up. My favorite single day o the year. I will be in SF at the parade then hit a few pubs. Im goin to pretend i'm Oliver Reed. Guinness, corned beef and cabbage all day long. Maybe even down a Irish car bomb or two. Do any of you guys have any plans?
    I will be vacationing in Florida... I'll be sure to find me some corn beef and cabbage wherever I end up eating that night.