Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edward Gingerich - The Only Convicted Amish Murderer

endsleigh03 Guest

Edward Gingerich - The Only Convicted Amish Murderer

Read a book on this a few years back. It was frightening to read about his downward mental spiral.
    It was even worse to read what he did to his wife when he killed her. He wasn't playing
    I have alot of respect for this Amish. Sometimes envy the way of life. Sorta.
    Here are some links.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notoriou...ngerich/1.html

I didn't know this but he got into trouble again, after serving only 5 years for killing his wife
    Here is the link for that.

http://www.meadvilletribune.com/loca...150001931.html

KristinEileen Guest
    Sick! This is so disturbing especially the part about after he took off his coat a piece of flesh fell out...yuck. What a sicko!

BigBootyJudy Guest
    I had never heard this story before, thanks for posting. Very interesting though heartbreaking at the same time! I feel so bad for those poor kids that had to witness their mother's brutal and horrific murder.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Ewwww

Removing her organs seems like such overkill.
    I can't believe he got only 5 years.
    He should at least have been looked up in a mental ward for a long, long, time.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KristinEileen View Post
    Sick! This is so disturbing especially the part about after he took off his coat a piece of flesh fell out...yuck. What a sicko!
    Oh, that is gross. There goes lunch.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Fascinating glimpse into such a different culture, Endsleigh. Thanks for that link.

Every time I think living simply looks good, I pull out my Colonial House DVDs and get over it really quickly.

That's a damn lot of really hard work.

Thanks, endsleigh.

I've never heard this story before.

He only got five years; for THAT!!!

cindyk Guest
    The Amish are very forgiving. maybe they believed 5 years was all his punishment needed to be. When there was the Amish schoolhouse killings a while back, the amish all gathered and prayed for both the victims and the shooter, and some stated that they were not mad and felt sorry for the man.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyk View Post
    The Amish are very forgiving. maybe they believed 5 years was all his punishment needed to be. When there was the Amish schoolhouse killings a while back, the amish all gathered and prayed for both the victims and the shooter, and some stated that they were not mad and felt sorry for the man.
    They are very forgiving, I admire that alot also.
    But this was the courts who gave him that sentence.

cindyk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    They are very forgiving, I admire that alot also.
    But this was the courts who gave him that sentence.
    i figured the courts did, but i know that sometimes in order to determine sentencing, victims or whoever are allowed to speak. maybe something was mentioned. maybe not. if not, then what the hell were the courts thinking? heh

Jazbabee Guest
    Unbelieveable story !! Thanks for posting

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyk View Post
    i figured the courts did, but i know that sometimes in order to determine sentencing, victims or whoever are allowed to speak. maybe something was mentioned. maybe not. if not, then what the hell were the courts thinking? heh
    Went back to read at Crime Library, I was really surprised to see that the Amish people were hostile to both the prosecution and the defense and would only testify if legally ordered too. They had "shunned" Ed Gingerich.
    Would have thought they'd have stood by him, but the killing was just too much. Also I saw they didn't bury her in her wedding dress as they normally would have. Good.

cindyk Guest
    Went back to read at Crime Library, I was really surprised to see that the Amish people were hostile to both the prosecution and the defense and would only testify if legally ordered too. They had "shunned" Ed Gingerich.
    Would have thought they'd have stood by him, but the killing was just too much. Also I saw they didn't bury her in her wedding dress as they normally would have. Good.
    oh wow. well that makes sense then if they had shunned him. good because he didnt deserve any support like they the kind they give.

xenaswolf Guest
    That was a facinating read. Very sad all the way around. He needs to be locked up in a psych ward for the rest of his life.

cachluv Guest
    I guess in the end he was un-shunned by his family??

I love reading these long stories.

I wonder if there are any crime scene pics floating around?

Lisamarie Guest
    I know I would love to see the crime scene pics...thats a creepy looking house...I dont like amish people and their forgiving nature..Im all for forgivness...but that goes too far...your gonna help the guy try to kidnapp his kid , he could have cared less for before ...and traumatizes her at a young age by butchering her mother in front of her.... I use to have a lot of respect for that...but now and after the school shooting...when they brought the family food and shit..I think it goes to far.....

KristinEileen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    I know I would love to see the crime scene pics...thats a creepy looking house...I dont like amish people and their forgiving nature..Im all for forgivness...but that goes too far...your gonna help the guy try to kidnapp his kid , he could have cared less for before ...and traumatizes her at a young age by butchering her mother in front of her.... I use to have a lot of respect for that...but now and after the school shooting...when they brought the family food and shit..I think it goes to far.....
    To an extent I agree, I mean there comes a point when you just can't forgive somethings. Killing kids, butchering your wife that is pushing it. On the other side I guess that is why they are simple people compared to us. I mean I can hold a grudge like nobody's business. I wish I could forgive somethings, but like I said there are just somethings you can't forgive.

cachluv Guest
    This story has stuck with me since I read it yesterday.

I can't believe he only got 5 years in jail. Then he walked and remains free. Unfuckingbelievable.

interesting article on amish and bipolar disorder:

http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/c.../full/40/24/21

don't get me wrong, am only concerned here with full blown mania in bipolar individuals that can lead to psychotic behaviour, and schizo affective disorders, etc (especially when not addressed or correctly diagnosed) ... blackstrap molasses could hardly have done him much good lol
    pull the string!

blackstrap molasses could hardly have done him much good lol
    LOL I know huh

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    I guess in the end he was un-shunned by his family??

I love reading these long stories.

I wonder if there are any crime scene pics floating around?
    If I read it right (it was a long one) didn't they send him off to another place for the "troubled Amish"? I am not sure where he resides now. He didn't get enough time for what he did to her, crazy or not.

cachluv Guest
    This one sure stuck with me.

Just like with OJ, I feel Karma will mete out justice whereas man has failed.

endsleigh03 Guest

Blue Light Babies..

I am sailing off-topic here for a minute , but has anyone seen the "blue-light babies" ? This is a problem the Amish are dealing with and it is horrible. (It is not only the Amish, there are others)
    It's a genetic disorder that causes high levels of bilirubin. It is very rare.
    If they leave the blue lights, and don't get enough of it each day, they die. Some of these kids are under the lights up to ten hours a day.
    When I saw this story, it broke my heart. I HOPE they find a cure someday better than transplants, there are never enough organs.
    Here's the link to the story.
    I am not putting the pic in here cuz that is someone's sick child, but you can see it here, to get an idea of the lights and what they go thru.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,273941,00.html

Cherry Malotte Guest
    That's so sad. It doesn't matter to me what religion or faith or whatever the hell someone believes - nobody deserves that for their child.

Does make me wonder though...they obviously need to freshen up their dna.

Maybe they should take up the same breeding practices as the Hutterites, dilute the gene pool a little.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Malotte View Post
    That's so sad. It doesn't matter to me what religion or faith or whatever the hell someone believes - nobody deserves that for their child.

Does make me wonder though...they obviously need to freshen up their dna.
    They do need to freshen it up, they don't have enough people to pick from.

Lisamarie Guest
    I saw them this weekend..anyone know why amish are in Mississippi?? It gross, I keep seeing these old guys with these pretty young girls in the traditional dress and they all look unhappy.....I am all for forgivness ..but thats going too far!! He took her insides out!!

endsleigh03 Guest
    I saw them this weekend..anyone know why amish are in Mississippi?? It gross, I keep seeing these old guys with these pretty young girls in the traditional dress and they all look unhappy.....I am all for forgivness ..but thats going too far!! He took her insides out!!
    Don't know why they would be in Missisippi, they have a settlement there?
    As far as old guys and young girls, I thought they married in their own age range? Beats me. Maybe it's their daughters. And yeah they always seem solemn.

Lisamarie Guest
    Im really not sure, But they are there for sure...we notice more each time we come back....they look at me like Im the biggest slut on main street( I had on shorts) !!

don't_axe_me Guest
    There are a lot of Mennonites in the gulf coast area. They're often misidentified as Amish.

I mentioned before that my inlaws live in a very small, mostly Amish town in northern Indiana. In November, we went up for my inlaws' 50th wedding anniversary celebration, and there were numerous Amish guests. They were all very kind, friendly, and the ones I spoke with had pretty good senses of humor, as well.

As far as seeing groups out in public, I think a lot of the time they must feel like they're on display. I don't know that the looks they give are as much judgmental as maybe wary. The married men all wear beards, which make them look older than their years, often. I don't recall seeing/meeting any couples with large age differences.

Just my 2 cents and my experience.

Lisamarie Guest
    I have never heard about the mennonites and they indeed seem like honest, kind hardworking people......they just creep me out! I would never tell them that...but I just feel bad for the girls...they all seem so unhappy! And uncomfortable....maybe because deep down they know if their husband kills them in a fit of insane rage..it no big deal they will put him in a amish half way house....no biggie!!

don't_axe_me Guest
    I think they look uncomfortable because they feel like visitors in a very foreign (to their way of life) world. I don't think that unless you talk to them, you can get a feel for whether they're unhappy, or just feeling out of place.

I'm not saying that there aren't unhappy Mennonites, or Amish, just like there are unhappy Catholics, Jews, Baptists, etc. But I don't think they're anything to be "creeped out" by.......just living a different life than we are.

Lisamarie Guest
    I know that sounded mean and I feel bad about it, they cannot help what they are born into to.......

pvezz Guest
    Holy shit - I'm driving up to Meadville tomorrow morning

I'll be sure to ask my co-workers up there about this case!

endsleigh03 Guest
    I know that sounded mean and I feel bad about it, they cannot help what they are born into to.......
    I don't think it was mean, it is just hard for people on the outside (us) to understand how people can live that way in this day and age.

I was looking up more info on the Amish today and all the different branchs that there are. Some are less strict with their beliefs ( Old Order, etc) One cool and really reasonable thing some of them do is allow "Rumspringa" which is when the kids hit their older teen years and are allowed to go into the outside world for a while, to see it and experience on their own. Then they can decide whether to make a lifetime commitment to the church and the community. That seems smart. Some do not come back, I think most do.
    Watched a reality show on "Rumspringa" a few years back, awesome show. Those kids really face alot when they go thru it.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    Holy shit - I'm driving up to Meadville tomorrow morning

I'll be sure to ask my co-workers up there about this case!
    Please do and post!

I've met some Mennonites in Harrisburg, PA on various occasions. Spoke with them too. They're just like you and me.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    I've met some Mennonites in Harrisburg, PA on various occasions. Spoke with them too. They're just like you and me.
    yeah, I don't think anyone is saying they are aliens, just a different culture/religion, and it is fascinating

Lisamarie Guest
    Very fascinating.....

I don't know about Amish (I know there is a large group in middle TN), but we have an large group of Mennonites about 30 mins down the road. As I've stated on here numerous times, my company sells fire equipment in MS, AL and TN. The Mennonites have their own fire dept and come to my store quite regularly. They are the sweetest people and are just like you and me. They do dress differently and I do feel sorry for them sometimes in the summer - 110 degrees and 100% humidity and they are in long dresses, long sleeves and look awfully hot. The Mennonites drive cars (but they must me beige or tan and no chrome). They are picky about their colors (we have to keep things like black suspenders - no red) and khaki or tan turnout gear for them. It took me forever to explain to them that the code states there must be lime yellow or red reflective trim on some items. Their religion wouldn't allow them to have that. I told them that the law would let me sell it without this protective item, but they could take all the trim off as soon as they purchased them. That seems to suit them fine. When they buy fire trucks from us, they must be beige with all chrome changed to a black material. Again, we had the same issue with red lights on the trucks. We told them that NFPA wouldn't allow us to sell the trucks without it, but when they get them home, they take all lights off the trucks - it does look odd. They also bring me fresh baked homemade bread everytime they come up. The ladies know how much I like it - they are just really great people! But how they got here, I just don't know. I'm glad they are here, though - if for nothing more than the bread!
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

don't_axe_me Guest
    Very interesting post, SheBoss. Thanks!

Lisamarie Guest
    I lived in York ,Penn for a while when I was little and I seem to remeber an Amish world?? Wonder if its still there....

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    I don't know about Amish (I know there is a large group in middle TN), but we have an large group of Mennonites about 30 mins down the road. As I've stated on here numerous times, my company sells fire equipment in MS, AL and TN. The Mennonites have their own fire dept and come to my store quite regularly. They are the sweetest people and are just like you and me. They do dress differently and I do feel sorry for them sometimes in the summer - 110 degrees and 100% humidity and they are in long dresses, long sleeves and look awfully hot. The Mennonites drive cars (but they must me beige or tan and no chrome). They are picky about their colors (we have to keep things like black suspenders - no red) and khaki or tan turnout gear for them. It took me forever to explain to them that the code states there must be lime yellow or red reflective trim on some items. Their religion wouldn't allow them to have that. I told them that the law would let me sell it without this protective item, but they could take all the trim off as soon as they purchased them. That seems to suit them fine. When they buy fire trucks from us, they must be beige with all chrome changed to a black material. Again, we had the same issue with red lights on the trucks. We told them that NFPA wouldn't allow us to sell the trucks without it, but when they get them home, they take all lights off the trucks - it does look odd. They also bring me fresh baked homemade bread everytime they come up. The ladies know how much I like it - they are just really great people! But how they got here, I just don't know. I'm glad they are here, though - if for nothing more than the bread!
    Thanks for posting this Sheboss. I don't envy any of them who wear the excessive hot clothing in the heat, that's got to suck.

pvezz Guest
    I was up in Meadville today and asked one of the guys up there about an "Amish murder". Right away he said, "Gingerich". He said you could just TELL by looking at him that he was insane (excuse me, Mr. Obvious?)

Anyway, he's apparently going back to jail. He apparently was caught recently, hunting; as an ex-convict, he cannot possess a firearm.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how this guy didn't end up DYING in a mental institution instead of doing 5 years in prison. Why is he out, hunting????

endsleigh03 Guest
    I was up in Meadville today and asked one of the guys up there about an "Amish murder". Right away he said, "Gingerich". He said you could just TELL by looking at him that he was insane (excuse me, Mr. Obvious?)

Anyway, he's apparently going back to jail. He apparently was caught recently, hunting; as an ex-convict, he cannot possess a firearm.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how this guy didn't end up DYING in a mental institution instead of doing 5 years in prison. Why is he out, hunting????
    That is so cool you went up there, thanks for posting this. Just curious about one thing, did the guy say if he was convicted on the charges of trying to hide/ steal his 17 year old daughter? He got into trouble in May 2007 for that, along with 2 or 3 of his brothers.
    Wow, so he got popped for having a gun. he just can't stay out of trouble.

pvezz Guest
    That is so cool you went up there, thanks for posting this. Just curious about one thing, did the guy say if he was convicted on the charges of trying to hide/ steal his 17 year old daughter? He got into trouble in May 2007 for that, along with 2 or 3 of his brothers.
    Wow, so he got popped for having a gun. he just can't stay out of trouble.
    You know what? My friend said that Gingerich and two of his brothers had "gotten into trouble" for the incident with his daughter. I honestly don't know if he or they were convicted of anything or if the charges are maybe still pending. I do know that the hunting incident was just about a month or so ago, so, convicted or not, he wasn't in jail.....

Unreal, huh???

endsleigh03 Guest

[SIZE=1]Joseph Gingerich leads his brothers, Atlee and Edward Gingerich, toward a car following their preliminary hearing Tuesday on charges he and Edward conspired to conceal the whereabouts of Edwardâ??s daughter back in April. Atlee is also charged with conspiracy in the case. All three men were ordered held for trial by Saegertown Area Magisterial District Judge Lincoln Zilhaver.[/SIZE]

endsleigh03 Guest
    You know what? My friend said that Gingerich and two of his brothers had "gotten into trouble" for the incident with his daughter. I honestly don't know if he or they were convicted of anything or if the charges are maybe still pending. I do know that the hunting incident was just about a month or so ago, so, convicted or not, he wasn't in jail.....

Unreal, huh???
    It is unreal. Hope they have him on meds since he is out running around like this.
    That's interesting your friend said you could see the crazy in his eyes.

phirerednga Guest
    This was a most disturbing story, and I just couldnt believe he was only sentenced to 5 years! I have heard of people getting more time for drugs, totally unreal.

pvezz Guest
    *Bumping* for the newer folks. Maybe it's because I'm familiar with the Meadville area, but I think about this often.