Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sophie Lancaster - Goth Murder

KristinEileen Guest

Thumbs down Sophie Lancaster - Goth Murder

This one really bugged me. I thought that as humans we were supposed to be tolerant of others but apparently that only means something if we all look a like.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TQfdpdKFy4&NR=1

Here is the link to the info about the tribute concert for her birthday.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thQPI...watch_response

In response to her murder Sophie's Family has created an organization called:
    S-stomp
    O-out
    P-prejudice
    H-hatred
    (and)
    I-indifference
    E-everywhere.

Here is the link to the wikipedia article as well:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie_Lancaster

spoiledkitty Guest
    All I can do when I watch this is cry and ask why?!!? To take out another human life just because they don't look like you or me! Why didn't anybody's parents teach them tolerance. This has been going on since the dawn of humanity and sorry to say it will continue on until more people learn that the world takes all types there is no "1" type of mold that EVERYONE has to be in.

KristinEileen Guest
    I guess if you don't fit the mold then you are less of a person. I just don't get why people have to be like that. I don't care how you dress or what you listen to or watch or what video game you play, everyone deserves respect. It's not like Sophie and her boyfriend were hurting anyone they were walking through a park!

spoiledkitty Guest
    I can honestly say that I enjoy being different (it spices the world) It's a shame that so many people can learn from each other but choose not too. Even hardcore christians will tell you there are versus in the bible that talk about love, and acceptance of everyone. God didn't put anyone here to be judge nor jury. Thanks for the post Kristin!

Quote Originally Posted by KristinEileen View Post
    I guess if you don't fit the mold then you are less of a person. I just don't get why people have to be like that. I don't care how you dress or what you listen to or watch or what video game you play, everyone deserves respect. It's not like Sophie and her boyfriend were hurting anyone they were walking through a park!
    I feel the same way. As long as someone is decent to me, that's all that counts.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

RaRaRamona Guest
    This is just sad. The people that did this were children - that is horrifying. I'm sure it also means no one will ever know what they did.

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    My heart so goes out to Sophie, her boyfriend, her mother, and those who loved and miss her...

As a kid, I fell victim to violence more than once because of my physical appearance. I still have a scar on the back of my right hand from being thrown against a wall by a group of young boys with cruel hearts.

My little scar however, is nothing compared to the scars these people will carry from losing Sophie. The foundation they have created in her honor is a beautiful way of allowing her to live on, letting her story be heard so that hopefully...hopefully it will touch some hearts and open some eyes.

Lita Guest
    It sounds to me like these "youths" are upper-class boys with rich parents. They probably think they'll get off because of who they are. How sad that they looked at Sophie and saw something disposable--I say "something" because they obviously didn't see her as a human. I hope these boys are locked away forever. I hope they don't serve some time, get new identities and get to live new lives like what they did never happened. I was always taught that just because somebody looked different or dressed different didn't mean that they weren't a person just like me. I wonder where the perpetrators parents were and will be during all this. I wonder if they were the type of parents to leave their sons regularly for business trips, if maybe their jobs weren't more important. Just a sad sad story.

harlequin_clown Guest
    I am 33 and am still haunted and suffer from severe depression from the torment of my classmates for YEARS, and to add insult to injury my parents too ridiculed me and shamed me. Why? I had a weight problem (still do just not as bad) and had overly large breasts at a young age where most little girls were still wearing undershirts with tiny pink bows. I know a lot wonder why I am not over it, God knows I have tried and I use a LOT of humor to get through life, but underneath that it's gutwrenching flashbacks, and failure in my eyes. I will never be able to live my life unmedicated. EVER.

Basically what I'm getting at is, they were proud of who they were and were killed for it. I was never proud of who I was, and I get to live on with painful flashbacks and memories. Good for them for not being afraid of who they were. If only I didn't give a crap.
    Last edited by harlequin_clown; 02-26-2008 at 03:15 PM.

Lita Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by harlequin_clown View Post
    I am 33 and am still haunted and suffer from severe depression from the torment of my classmates for YEARS, and to add insult to injury my parents too ridiculed me and shamed me. Why? I had a weight problem (still do just not as bad) and had overly large breasts at a young age where most little girls were still wearing undershirts with tiny pink bows. I know a lot wonder why I am not over it, God knows I have tried and I use a LOT of humor to get through life, but underneath that it's gutwrenching flashbacks, and failure in my eyes. I will never be able to live my life unmedicated. EVER.

Basically what I'm getting at is, they were proud of who they were and were killed for it. I was never proud of who I was, and I get to live on with painful flashbacks and memories. Good for them for not being afraid of who they were. If only I didn't give a crap.
    God, Harlequin, I am so sorry you had to go through that! Kids can be cruel but there's nothing like ridicule from your own parents. Have you tried counseling or therapy to maybe help get over the flashbacks? I don't care what you look like, you're an awesome person!

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lita View Post
    God, Harlequin, I am so sorry you had to go through that! Kids can be cruel but there's nothing like ridicule from your own parents. Have you tried counseling or therapy to maybe help get over the flashbacks? I don't care what you look like, you're an awesome person!
    I second that, Harlequin...And furthermore, I can relate.

The abuse I mentioned earlier was dealt to me because I too, was (and remain) overweight. While the physical abuse dealt by others cruelty and intolerance can literally kill someone (as it did Sophie), the verbal and emotional abuse can kill one's spirit just as dead.

I find it hard to believe in myself as anything other than what I've been told by those with negativity in their hearts. But I know that there are people out there who love me and value me as they understand that I am more than just a number on a scale...Perhaps someday...that will be enough to heal all the bad stuff.

harlequin_clown Guest
    I really appreciate your kind words, and sharing your stories as well. This subject on this poor girl just angered me like no other, I am so tired of people being judged on what they look like, you'd think this day and age that would be a thing of the past. I parked my car and rode the lightrail the other day to take my daughter to an acitivity at the convention center. The guy who sat next to me looked like the cure collides with finding nemo, and he had piercings in about every spot he could on his face. Was I "freaked" or "grossed out"? Not at all, and he was one of the nicest people I met, we engaged in a conversation and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I DON'T judge a book by its cover

PS - I look like this.....

KristinEileen Guest
    aww how pretty!

People just don't understand how their words and actions affect others. There is no excuse for the behavior that drives kids into depression because they do no fit the mold. I didn't get picked on that much, only because I had a big chest at a young age, and I was a cheerleader so I had a lot of people to back me up. I feel bad that anyone is ever ridiculed for being different. It's just not fair, and I watch people do it to my younger brother because he is tall and overweight, people are cruel, yet they have self esteem issues and that is why they choose to hurt others, to make them feel better.

Screw mean people!

Harrietd Guest
    I really appreciate your kind words, and sharing your stories as well. This subject on this poor girl just angered me like no other, I am so tired of people being judged on what they look like, you'd think this day and age that would be a thing of the past. I parked my car and rode the lightrail the other day to take my daughter to an acitivity at the convention center. The guy who sat next to me looked like the cure collides with finding nemo, and he had piercings in about every spot he could on his face. Was I "freaked" or "grossed out"? Not at all, and he was one of the nicest people I met, we engaged in a conversation and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I DON'T judge a book by its cover

Hon, you're looking good. I think the whole 'children are cruel' thing has moved up a couple of notches. They need to start prosecuting these animals as adults. Here in Germany they're sometimes still prosecuted as juveniles up to the age of 21. Get real.

Lisamarie Guest
    You are beautiful!! I love your long hair!! I also was tormented when I was young all because I was ugly as can be when I was a kid....I got my lip slpit enough to know hot to fight back now.....this poor girl! I hate hearing stories like this....It really bothers me..I hope a they all become some big guys bitch when they get locked up!

You are gorgeous, Harlequin Clown. Love your long hair! This story is just sad and sick. I remember getting a lot of grief when I was young for being a Bowie fan in high school. In 1974, I put a Davie Bowie sticker on my locker door and it was defaced after one class. There were 7 or 8 of us who wore glitter and platform shoes, we got pretty good at running in them. Those idiots in their flannel shirts and wallabee shoes COULD have done this to any of us, especially our boyfriends who were wearing glitter nail polish. Why don't people just LIVE AND LET LIVE? Why can't people see that cookie cutter clones are boring? This story mad me very sad that so little has changed... It's the same as a hate crime against another race. Killing someone because you don't like the way they dress? WHAT are parents teaching kids? This generation with their sense of entitlement makes me sick. They are like hot house flowers, thinking that whatever they like is good and anything different is bad. They have been catered to all their little lives and don't know anything about tolerance. Someone needs to put them in jail, they will find out fast what it's like not to be treated with dignity.

cindyk Guest
    another sad thing is that nothing gets done. i bet these same kids picked on them in class, or if not the same kids, no doubt there were comments thrown towards them.

this zero tolerance crap has got to go too... for this reason: my stepbrother was getting picked on for weeks on end. one day, the kids had him down on a table with their hands around his neck, so he punched the kid to get off of him. who got suspended? my stepbrother. fuck that. these bullies need to be punished. they seem to be able to push people further and further, then the person who retaliates becomes the evildoer. go figure.

NOVSTORM Guest
    I got my ass ripped in another room for planning to sue the school and the parents of some bullies that were making my grand kids life hell. She so hated to go to school w that she skipped for 6 weeks and lost weight. It was awful. So when the school did nothing about these kids behavior I threatend to sue, got a lawyer to write a letter to the school and the parents of the BEASTS it sure as hell stopped. One of those kids smacked my grand kid in the face at the park when she had her little 5 yr old sister with her and she wouldn't fight back bcause Scotti was with her. It happend again this time infront of 16 other kids and at school and when my GD picked herself up the ground she swung back and broke this girls nose. Thank God there were witnesses. I called the cops to have battery charges bought against the girl but my GD said no. "I think it is over now" so I let it go. MY g daughter is cute and has a cute little shape and for some reason some of the other girls were jealous of their boyfriends paying her attention and it turned into a night mare. The school was going to punish Amanda for fighting back I too said FUCK NO!
    To kill someone for the way the dress or look , beat them up is unacceptable and these people that do this grow up to be bigger bullies. I used to believe that this behavior started at home but now I don't. Kids seem to run in "packs" and all it takes is one hate filled little bastard to chant the hate crap and they follow like sheep. Altho I have to say I never see any one screw around with Skin heads!
    I was always the skinny kid (before is was fashionable) and had this long hair to my butt and was always getting beat up thank God I had a lot of brothers who taught me how to fight (I think it was my nose that grew before the rest of me) lol
    It breaks my heart when I see kids being bullied and hurt because of ignorance and I will always step up to the plate and put the run on the bullies.
    The loss of their daughter ,especially my murder must be eatingtheir hearts out.
    The loss of a child is devastating, I believe an eye for an eye. Those people deserve the death penalty and I hope they get it.
    I lost my only daughter 5 yrs ago at age 37 and will never get over it . I will keep these people in my prayers.

djdeath-hag Guest
    One of the nicest lessons I've learned is that it doesn't matter how pretty you are (or are not) on the outside, if you're unattractive in your approach/dealing with others you are never gonna be happy...nor will anyone around you!

[quote=NOVSTORM;180458] thank God I had a lot of brothers who taught me how to fight quote]

I'm sorry you had to deal with all of that. You're right about the pack mentality. I noticed what you said about having brothers. The thing that saved me when I was young was having a very popular older brother. Everyone knew my brother... he had a cool reputation with the guys, and the girls adored him. I think people knew that if they messed with me, they would have to deal with him. There is something to be said for having brothers!!

DaniZ Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyk View Post
    this zero tolerance crap has got to go too... for this reason: my stepbrother was getting picked on for weeks on end. one day, the kids had him down on a table with their hands around his neck, so he punched the kid to get off of him. who got suspended? my stepbrother. fuck that. these bullies need to be punished. they seem to be able to push people further and further, then the person who retaliates becomes the evildoer. go figure.
    So true. My friend has a 12 year old boy, who is in 7th grade. There is an 8th grade boy in his gym class who picks on him in the locker room. The school has been informed of this multiple times, as has the coach, and they always say something along the lines of "boys will be boys"

About 2 weeks ago, the boy pushed my friend's son down on the ground, and was standing over him punching him. Another boy came into the locker room, and shoved the boy off the top of my friend's son. My friend's son came out of it with a broken leg, and the boy who saved him, came out of it suspended! I have no idea what they did to the other boy, because it's school policy not to tell any other party in the incident what happened to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by DaniZ View Post
    So true... and the boy who saved him, came out of it suspended!.
    THAT IS CRAZY!!!! Zero tolerance is getting out of hand. Reminds me of the girl who got suspended for taking a midol for cramps.

Where I used to work, there was a day care facility. Kids would bite each other, but they wouldn't tell the parents of the kid who had the bite marks who did it. They were afraid of the parents exacting revenge at work.

KristinEileen Guest
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...parenting.html
    Here is an update about this story with a picture of Sophie in the hospital on life support just days before she died...

Quote Originally Posted by Lita View Post
    It sounds to me like these "youths" are upper-class boys with rich parents. They probably think they'll get off because of who they are. How sad that they looked at Sophie and saw something disposable--I say "something" because they obviously didn't see her as a human. I hope these boys are locked away forever. I hope they don't serve some time, get new identities and get to live new lives like what they did never happened. I was always taught that just because somebody looked different or dressed different didn't mean that they weren't a person just like me. I wonder where the perpetrators parents were and will be during all this. I wonder if they were the type of parents to leave their sons regularly for business trips, if maybe their jobs weren't more important. Just a sad sad story.
    They most definitely are not upper class boys. When I first read about this right after it happened it absolutely made me sick. There is definitely a problem here in the UK especially when it comes to drink and antisocial youth yobs.

Guest Guest
    I was a goth teen and there where girls who tried to pick on me.....it was mainly because I'm latina... well.... I always learned that you don't take crap from anyone so when one got in my face.... she lost hers, literally...I was arrested for assault, she went to hospital.... I never got picked on again

I hate stories like this. I 100% agree with live and let live.

I went to a small high school... I had a weight problem and loved the Backstreet Boys. Couldn't get more unpopular than that in my school. I was taunted nearly every day. Luckily, for my first two years, my older sister was in the school with me. She was all kinds of popular and stood up for me on many occasions.

NOVSTORM Guest

People all can be asshats. Parents who make fun of their children are worse. Children are cruel. All it takes is one bully to get the other kids to do thier thing. I had a kid that had seizures at school and NO ONE ever helped this kid. The kids would gather around him and laugh and finally a teacher would come out tothe play ground. One teacher would yell STOP THAT! not to those damn kids but to the "poor fat kid" that was havingthe seizure.
    I think a kid that is old enough to kill is old enough to be tried as an adult. I do not think their records should be sealed. There is something wrong with kids who kill and people should know that this kid had killed someone.
    I am sorry that all of this has left such a scar on you kiddo.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hidium View Post
    THAT IS CRAZY!!!! Zero tolerance is getting out of hand. Reminds me of the girl who got suspended for taking a midol for cramps.

Where I used to work, there was a day care facility. Kids would bite each other, but they wouldn't tell the parents of the kid who had the bite marks who did it. They were afraid of the parents exacting revenge at work.

My SIL has a 14 month old that has been bitten 2 X's in 2 weeks and it drew blood. I raised hell about it because this biter does not belong in daycare until he stops. Of course they won't tell us who it is, and I don't care . They will pay for the doctors visit and his shot for the bites and I told them that too. Make a long story short. I get a report everyday about his activities and he had a fight . He knocked some kid down and kept slapping him. He also had a small bite mark again on his arm. The one teen that works there told me very quietly that the kid was starting to bite him and Luke kicked his ass LOL He did not learn how to slap at home LOL Sooner or later the biter will get his block knocked off . Then he will put 2 and 2 together and stop.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DaniZ View Post
    So true. My friend has a 12 year old boy, who is in 7th grade. There is an 8th grade boy in his gym class who picks on him in the locker room. The school has been informed of this multiple times, as has the coach, and they always say something along the lines of "boys will be boys"

About 2 weeks ago, the boy pushed my friend's son down on the ground, and was standing over him punching him. Another boy came into the locker room, and shoved the boy off the top of my friend's son. My friend's son came out of it with a broken leg, and the boy who saved him, came out of it suspended! I have no idea what they did to the other boy, because it's school policy not to tell any other party in the incident what happened to the others.

This happened to my 16 yr old. She dated some girls ex boyfriend and this girl saw her and Scotti at a park and the gril wanted to fight and she slapped my 16 old. Amamanda didnothing in return because this up set her 6 yr old sister and she just took scotti and walked away. At school this girl sucker punched Amanda and as Amanda was getting off the ground she punched this girl and broke her nose and Amanda was the one introuble. A called mefrom schoo because they were believingthis other girl who said Amanada attacked her (in front of 8 other kids) who told them the other girl started it. I was on the speaker phone wioth her and I got mad and said. I want you to take your cell phone and call 911 and have this girl arrested for assault. I am leaving work right now and I will make sure she gets arrested and I am calling our attorney and starting a law suit today against hte school district (something onthe order of this I can;t rememebr eveyr thing I said ) I was so pissed.
    Anyway all of a sudden Amanda was not getting kicked out. When all of this came to a head I wanted to know why Zero tolerance was only for those that tried to stop something or those who were defending themselves. why not for those that were starting this crap. ANSWER
    "well some of these children have issues" excuse me?? Issue this!
    Zero tolerance is only for the kids that do not have problems?
    That was it..home studies and GED. It needs to apply to everyone.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KristinEileen View Post
    This one really bugged me. I thought that as humans we were supposed to be tolerant of others but apparently that only means something if we all look a like.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TQfdpdKFy4&NR=1

Here is the link to the info about the tribute concert for her birthday.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thQPI...watch_response

In response to her murder Sophie's Family has created an organization called:
    S-stomp
    O-out
    P-prejudice
    H-hatred
    (and)
    I-indifference
    E-everywhere.

Here is the link to the wikipedia article as well:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie_Lancaster
    DId these little asshats get probation or Juvie hall?

it's funny how once you graduate from high school, all the teasing and torment stops.

I tell kids that all the time.

I had my share of it, until I started smoking pot, and became a stoner!

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    it's funny how once you graduate from high school, all the teasing and torment stops.

I tell kids that all the time.

I had my share of it, until I started smoking pot, and became a stoner!
    LMAO I agree about graduation from high school.

At my last high school reunion, I was fucking AMAZED at what people looked like (it was my 20th almost 2 years ago). One of the girls who was the biggest bully and made fun of everyone because she thought she looked better had gained close to 75 pounds by my estimate, her hair seemed to be falling out and she had the worst case of adult acne I have ever seen.

Now, I did not make fun of her and said hello to her. However, this bitch still had the same attitude towards me. It was unreal.

just an update on this story.
    how can a murderer get a sentence reduced?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/7696709.stm

Yep - I read about the sentence reduction - an absolute disgrace IMO. That poor girl's family.

Guest Guest
    I only just noticed this thread! I have followed this case with horror and interest - I have a few friends who knew Sophie. She was a beautiful lady and it is appaling that the sick ugly bastards that killed her have not gotten what they deserve (ie the same).
    The killers are commonly known here as 'Chavs' - there are too many here and it is not good. I was once a goth and have many goth friends, none of them start on chavs for being ugly, dumb, stupid fuckers!!
    This case makes me want to spit venom!!
    Long may Sophie's memory live on - rest in piece beautiful lady.

That is a horrible story. I was a bit goth when I was young, and also in the 70s did the glam rock thing. I got a lot of abuse for being into glam rock. The guys had it worse. We all got pretty good at running in platform shoes. People can be so ignorant. If you don't understand something, try learning about it instead of killing it.

Guest Guest
    If you don't understand something, try learning about it instead of killing it.
    Wise words my friend, and if still not understood, leave it be! Ignorance is a bad and destructive thing!

Glamrock Princess Guest

Youre beautful xoxo

bunny Guest
    what a sad story...I dont think I will every understand people

RaRaRamona Guest
    I got a lot of abuse for being into glam rock. The guys had it worse. We all got pretty good at running in platform shoes. People can be so ignorant.
    I hate to interrupt the seriousness but I laughed a bit hard at this. It reminds me of the Mtv True Life I love Glam Rock. That kid was so cool. Bless him.

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    She was gorgeous...I had no idea about this case...I swear people are just plain STUPID!!! I love that the parents let her friends sign her casket...That is such a GREAT idea...She will always have a little peice of her family and friends with her...I have never been so moved...

sweetie103 Guest
    Such a sad story.

Martini M. Guest
    God, she was cradling her unconscious boyfriend's head in her lap when they set on her like animals...stuff like this makes me have little faith in humanity.

c l p Guest
    i love the way they started the fund in her name. but it really is not going to make to much of a difference. if they are going to do something nothing will stop them. like everyone else i had bullies when they backed me in the corner they found out i dont go quietly.

imadeathhag Guest

You are very pretty. I love your hair!

Can't believe it's been nearly 4 years since this dreadful murder!

Here's a link to the official SOPHIE website.

http://www.sophielancasterfoundation...430c9c7f0591,0

The attack on 20 yr Sophie & Rob Maltby was brutal, cowardly, idiotic and senseless, totally unprovoked.

When these scum attacked Sophie, as she cradled Robs unconcious head in her lap , trying to protect him...begging for his life..they set upon her.Sophie was dragged off by her dreads with such force, that her scalp split.
    She lost some skin-despite being fully clothed, by being forcibly dragged over concrete.
    Both Sophie and Rob were beaten, kicked and stamped on til unconcious. Neither of them fought back or were violent in any way.

They were attacked because this gang decided they didnt like goths/moshers.

Rob was an art student, Sophie was due to resume her English studies at uni.
    She was a veggie, compassionate and very thoughtful.

Rob suffered a brain haemorrage. He got out of hospital after 2 weeks but had a lot of problems.
    He couldn't see colours properly-which was hard for an artist-and couldn't taste/smell properly. His hearing was distorted and he had psychological problems.
    Thankfully, Rob is now a fully-fledged artist. He had his first exhibition last year-all proceeds going to SOPHIE.

He wants to try and move on now and is contemplating a future where he can have a relationship. He is no longer a goth and says he dosent recognise who he was then. Of course, serious head trauma often leads to changes in someone.
    Im glad that he is making tentative steps towards a new life.

Last edited by Alice_Layne; 04-06-2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: add something and Typos!

Sophies' mother, Sylvia, is such an inspirational woman.
    Just recently, the BBC comissioned a play for Radio 4-Black Roses. This was a docu drama really and featured Sylvia discussing Sophie, interspersed with an actress reading out lines by Simon Armitage, as Sophie.

It was a terrifically affecting and moving piece-harrowing and graphic too.

All I can say is that Sylvia and Sophie are cut from the same cloth-both brave. Sophie saved her boyfriends life. Sylvia, somehow, managing to try and save others via the work that SOPHIE does in schools and with young people.

Jacksmum Guest
    Cowards, this makes me sick. Are the five in jail? I couldn't find anything or just didn't see through tears.

Yes, they were jailed. Only 2 were jailed for murder though. They got I think about 17 years-unfortunately we don't have proper life sentences in the UK.
    The other 3 only admitted assaulting Rob Maltby & were jailed.
    If you click on the link & look at the videos on there, theres one all about the trial.

http://www.sophielancasterfoundation...d=18&Itemid=11

Also if you click on the original link I posted thhen go to media and click, this has videos of the trials, Sophies funeral etc.

Jacksmum Guest
    Thank you