Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dylan Groene & Family

Lita Guest

Dylan Groene & Family

I was reading the Jessica Lunsford thread and mentioned Joseph Duncan. I thought since I'm close in geography to this case, I should add it. The scary thing is my best-friend and I drove by this house on the day the family was killed, Dylan and Shasta were kidnapped. Here's what happened:

Sometime in May, Joseph Duncan-- having fled Becker County, Minnesota on charges of child molestation and attempted child molestation and having a warrant out of Fargo, North Dakota--stopped at the Wolf Lodge which is about 8 miles east of Coeur D'Alene on Frontage Road. The Groene and McKenzie family lived in a small white house next to the lodge. Duncan spotted Shasta, 8 and Dylan, 9 playing outside in the sprinkler. He watched the house during the day and used night vision goggles to watch the house at night. On May 15, 2005, there was a barbecue at the house and that's the last time four members of the family were seen a live. Sometime between Sunday, May 15 and Monday May 16, Duncan made his move.

On Monday, a neighbor who had hired 13 year old Slade Groene to mow his lawn, went to the house to pay Slade $10. There was no answer when he knocked but he heard a dog barking inside. Suspicious because the family's two cars were in the drive-way, the neighbor went home and called 911. At 6:15 pm, Kootenai County Deputies found three bodies in the house. Duncan entered an unlocked back door to the kitchen, he used zip ties and duct tape to bound his victims. Two bodies were found in the kitchen, the third in the living room. Deputies couldn't tell if they'd been beaten to death or shot. They were beaten to death. They were Slade Groene, his mother Brenda Groene, and her boyfriend Mark McKenzie. There was no sign of two younger children Dylan and Shasta Groene. At first, it was suspected that the murderers were a drug deal gone bad. Brenda and Mark were known to deal drugs.

On July 2, Duncan brought Shasta to Denny's in Coeur D'Alene. A waitress there called the police. Duncan was arrested and Shasta was reunited with her father. Dylan's bones were found in a campsite in Montana. Duncan plead guilty to state and federal charges to escape the death penalty. After his arrest, the police made him the prime suspect in a cold murder case out of California.

Here's a link to more about the case:
    http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_k..._duncan/1.html

motherogod Guest
    Woah, I remember this and it made me sick for that precious girl.

Jazbabee Guest
    I remember being sickened by this case when it first came to light. I will have to go back thru the thread that was shared to jog my memory....thanks for sharing the link

KristinEileen Guest
    This case makes me sick. Thank GOD they found Shasta before he killed her too! There is a link on Crime Library's website that says that he is blogging from jail well he's not but letters that he is sending to people on the outside are posting them to the internet. I would be interested to see what he has to say. He sucks...bottom line...

endsleigh03 Guest
    I saw you mention this guy in the Jessica thread and was wondering who it was.

Lita Guest
    With everything he's suspected of, I think they need to put him in Gen. Pop. of a prison. Let the inmates take care of him.

lisalouver Guest
    I remember this one as I live in MN and it made a big stir here as his first warrents were out of here.

Sick fucker.

sheri Guest
    The cold case referenced is from my state of California, more specifically my hometown of Beaumont. Yes, there is actually a Beaumont in CA, we're 30 minutes north west of Palm Springs. The cold case is now no longer a cold case. Duncan admitted to killing and sodomizing Anthony Martinez, a cute, handsome, adorable 10 year old boy. His mom and step dad have since divorced, moved out of the area completely, Anthony is buried in one of our local cemeteries. When we found out what the waitress in Idaho had done, and that Duncan admitted to killing Anthony, Beaumont City Council made a big banner with Anthony's school picture on it with the words 'Thank you,...' waitress's name. One local businessman paid for having the banner sent to the waitress. Everyone that wanted to could sign the banner before it left for Idaho. There was even an article in the local paper about this and a picture of Anthony's mom looking at the banner and reading all the names of the people that had signed it. My kids and I signed it when we were in City Hall. My now 18 year old daughter is close in age to Anthony. Beaumont has not been the same since, and it never will be the same. How could it? Those of us that were here when that happened to Anthony, we all started keeping our kids physically much closer to us parents than we did before this tragedy. A dark cloud hung over Beaumont for many many years. Then, when Duncan got caught and admitted to killing Anthony, it was as though that black cloud left. Beaumont has been forever changed. Before he was caught, there were other attempted kidnappings in my area and everyone thought 'Oh no, here we go again that creep is still among us.' Then, Duncan is caught in the Groene case, and then admits to this case.

RIP Groene/McKenzie families...
    RIP Anthony...you guys are missed every day and loved just as much.

malaki Guest
    This was all over the news and soo sad...He seemed to have killed her entire family just to get to her, makes you wonder what he was thinking exactly???

Lita Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by malaki View Post
    This was all over the news and soo sad...He seemed to have killed her entire family just to get to her, makes you wonder what he was thinking exactly???
    He killed Shasta's family to get her and Dylan. Shasta lives with her dad now. Not that long ago, they hit some financially hard times so there was a fundraiser to build them a new house which was finished last year. There were two other cold cases that they were looking at Duncan for but I don't know if he copped to those or not. The house where it all started in Coeur D'Alene still stands there all boarded up. Part of me would like to get into that house to see if there are any spirits but I wouldn't be able to handle the blood still there. It's different to actually see the blood in person than in a picture. I hope that they tear that house down soon. The only thing that Duncan did that was for the good of Dylan and Shasta was that he removed them from the house before killing their family so they didn't have to see that.

terrible!!!!
    may the forces of evil get confused on the way to your house

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    I just hope Shasta gets all the help she needs emotionall & mentally. Poor kid. What the hell is wrong with people anyway?? Thank God there are people out there like that waitress.

Daphne Guest
    I remember this case.. and was just glad they found Shasta alive! I agree with Queen, I really hope Shasta gets all the help she needs. Man what a violent and awful story for this famly.

Lisamarie Guest
    I hate these monsters that hurt children....its beyond sick....beyond evil.....

Auntie Vi Guest
    Heard the lastest? Now Joseph Edward Duncan III wants to fire his lawyers and represent himself, cos they don't under stand his idealolgies. He was insulted when the court wanted a mental evaluation. If he represents himself, there is a possibly he could cross examine Shasta. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

Lita Guest
    Yeah, I read that. He's already plead guilty to federal and state charges but he would get a chance to cross examine Shasta during the penalty phase. I hope the judge rules against him. There should be a law against assholes like Duncan being able to even have a chance to cross-examine their victims. However, normally if you represent yourself, you get counsil to consult with so I'm thinking the judge would make the real lawyer cross-examine her.

There is another tragic addendum to this story as her father has been diagnosed with terminal throat cancer. How much worse can it get for this child and her family?
    Wanna see my grandkids?

Belle Guest
    Duncan had some files on computers, possibly PHOTOS of the crimes, that law enforcement very much wanted to see, but were unable to access. Duncan encrypted them so well, that it would take law enforcement an estimated 30 years to crack into.

I know he kept using that as a bargaining chip in the case. He would give investigators the encryption key if certain concessions were given to him. They never came to an agreement as far as I know.

I remember how surprised I was in 2006 to discover that encryption available to the every day person could be strong enough to stop even our highest government agencies from accessing them.

Last I heard, the files were still unreadable by law enforcment

from CNN Plea spares Shasta from Testifying
    The earlier plea bargain request included an offer to give investigators access to encrypted files in Duncan's computer, which are thought to contain graphic evidence of his crimes.

Experts have yet to unlock the files and Duncan, a computer expert, has bragged that the encryption protection he used is so strong that it will take authorities three decades to crack it.

Belle Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KristinEileen View Post
    This case makes me sick. Thank GOD they found Shasta before he killed her too! There is a link on Crime Library's website that says that he is blogging from jail well he's not but letters that he is sending to people on the outside are posting them to the internet. I would be interested to see what he has to say. He sucks...bottom line...
    I think this is his current blog done while in prison?
    http://5nrevelations.blogspot.com/

Here is the original blog I think
    http://fifthnail.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by Belle; 05-09-2008 at 05:43 PM.

This man is just pure evil.

Belle Guest
    More of Duncan's pages
    He called himself Jet. And his pages Jet Gazette
    This blog has a lot of links to Joseph Duncan pages many with photos http://jetd63.blogspot.com/2004_01_0...3_archive.html
    Here a a few
    http://www.geocities.com/jetd2000/pe...pagegreen.html
    http://web.archive.org/web/200312242...eone.net/jetd/
    http://web.archive.org/web/200208050...eone.net/jetd/
    Last edited by Belle; 05-09-2008 at 05:53 PM.

sheri Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by malaki View Post
    Not so much a question of what he was thinking...more like WAS he thinking? oh hell to the no he wasn't thinking obviously sick bastard

sheri Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Vi View Post
    Heard the lastest? Now Joseph Edward Duncan III wants to fire his lawyers and represent himself, cos they don't under stand his idealolgies. He was insulted when the court wanted a mental evaluation. If he represents himself, there is a possibly he could cross examine Shasta. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!
    WTF?!?!?!? Like that idiot Long Island Subway Train shooter represented his sorry self and always referred to himself in the 3rd person...a colin something or other...what hassleholes to the nth degree and beyond

RaRaRamona Guest
    Is he still a bad cross dresser?

Cherry Malotte Guest
    There's a special place in hell for this bastard.

pvezz Guest
    Did he know the victims??

RaRaRamona Guest
    I read about this case again & I hadn't realized before that Shasta's mom was a drug dealing sorry excuse for a mother.

I really wonder if they'd have been so easy to overpower if they hadn't been so high. What great parents.

Here's an article about Shasta going to the home to celebrate Slade's birthday.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...yndication=rss

Here's one on their financial troubles.
    http://www.komonews.com/news/7026772.html

One question - hoe does she get social security?

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    I read about this case again & I hadn't realized before that Shasta's mom was a drug dealing sorry excuse for a mother.

I really wonder if they'd have been so easy to overpower if they hadn't been so high. What great parents.

Here's an article about Shasta going to the home to celebrate Slade's birthday.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...yndication=rss

Here's one on their financial troubles.
    http://www.komonews.com/news/7026772.html

One question - hoe does she get social security?
    Either because her mother is dead and she is collecting it through her or because I believe her dad is currently on it. He has teminal cancer.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    Either because her mother is dead and she is collecting it through her or because I believe her dad is currently on it. He has teminal cancer.
    The article said they're living off her SS & his disability. He is cancer free right now but weak.

Then she collects it through her mother's death benefits. She can do this until she is 18 or graduates from high school.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

RaRaRamona Guest
    Then she collects it through her mother's death benefits. She can do this until she is 18 or graduates from high school.
    Oh okay thank you

No problem!
    Wanna see my grandkids?

**Jenna** Guest
    Okay this and that other thread make sense to me now.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by laynestaleyfan View Post
    Okay this and that other thread make sense to me now.

Did it really make such a difference, whether they were "high" or not? If someone comes and tries to mess me up when I'm sleeping, I cannot offer much resistance, and that's without any dope whatsoever.

Sometimes the assailant's best weapon is surprise and catching the victims off-guard and at their most vulnerable. Or, perhaps, making them trust the assailant--- like "I'll let you alone as soon as I rob this house/ rape you/ whatever" and then not keeping the promise.

What this case does prove is that some malign fate must be at work for one (or two) person to kill so many people who "should have been able to defend themselves." If someone wants to destroy you badly enough, it doesn't matter how many able-bodied adults and weapons may be on hand.

Seagorath Guest
    If there's a Sasha fund I'd certainly like to donate...she deserves the best.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    Did it really make such a difference, whether they were "high" or not? If someone comes and tries to mess me up when I'm sleeping, I cannot offer much resistance, and that's without any dope whatsoever.

Sometimes the assailant's best weapon is surprise and catching the victims off-guard and at their most vulnerable. Or, perhaps, making them trust the assailant--- like "I'll let you alone as soon as I rob this house/ rape you/ whatever" and then not keeping the promise.

What this case does prove is that some malign fate must be at work for one (or two) person to kill so many people who "should have been able to defend themselves." If someone wants to destroy you badly enough, it doesn't matter how many able-bodied adults and weapons may be on hand.
    While it's true being asleep would prevent you from being quite alert, are you really saying a sober mother would be as effective as a strung out one? Really? That's just not the case. Her mom had pot & meth in her system. The door was unlocked. yes he'd been camping out & watching them (freakin creepy) but a responsible mom doesn't get wasted like that when her kids are home.

I know lots of parents who smoke daily & don't think a thing about it. Well, I wouldn't do that to my kid. My point was if she & her boyfriend hadn't been wasted could they have fought him off?

Auntie Vi Guest
    I've never had meth, but I have been high. If given the opportunity to fight back in that situation, I could certainly have done so. Speaking for myself, cos I cannot speak for others, a buzz from alcohol or weed quickly clears up if you are not too far gone, when something drastic that demands your attention happens. You kind of make it sound like she deserved what she got cos she did drugs. She may have done them after her kids were in bed. (There's no proof she did it while they were up or in front of them, didn't JD wake them from a sound sleep and send them outside while he killed the others?) Maybe she had her habits but the kids were at home with their mother, not in foster care somewhere cos she was too strung out to care form them. Anyway, no matter what her chemical state was, her death is still a tragedy.

NewYorkDoll Guest
    The murderer stalked the house for awhile using cameras and night vision goggles. They were doomed regardless of whether or not the mother was stoned. He had targeted them and had a plan. IIRC, he just happened to drive by and the kids caught his "eye".

Pure Evil.

Guest Guest
    what a sad update for Shasta and her father after everything they've been through

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Vi View Post
    I've never had meth, but I have been high. If given the opportunity to fight back in that situation, I could certainly have done so. Speaking for myself, cos I cannot speak for others, a buzz from alcohol or weed quickly clears up if you are not too far gone, when something drastic that demands your attention happens. You kind of make it sound like she deserved what she got cos she did drugs. She may have done them after her kids were in bed. (There's no proof she did it while they were up or in front of them, didn't JD wake them from a sound sleep and send them outside while he killed the others?) Maybe she had her habits but the kids were at home with their mother, not in foster care somewhere cos she was too strung out to care form them. Anyway, no matter what her chemical state was, her death is still a tragedy.
    I disagree. Of course it's a tragedy when most anyone is murdered, but I don't buy that she had her wits about her. She had been arrested for drugs & served time already, was awaiting another court date for more drug charges, sold drugs, had biker parties & her oldest son was in jail for drugs at the time. Sounds like she was a great mom all right. She didn't show very good judgment in most cases so I doubt she waited for the kids to go to sleep when she wanted get high.

Being drunk or high absolutely does not clear up just b/c you get scared. You're still inebriated. You're still handicapped. I've been scared to death plenty of times while wasted. Trust me I didn't sober up like that. I have had a lot of experience with drugs. That's just not the way it goes.

The fact remains that she was using drugs & selling drugs in a home she shared with her children. Something was bound to happen & those poor kids didn't have a chance.

Lita Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    If there's a Sasha fund I'd certainly like to donate...she deserves the best.
    There are quite a few:

to help

Funds for Shasta

â?¢Donations to the trust that was started by Men In Business at Panhandle State Bank can be mailed to the Windermere Foundation or dropped off at 1000 Northwest Blvd., Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814. Checks should be made payable to WRE Windermere Foundation/Shasta.
    â?¢Donations to the Shasta Groene Trust can be mailed to 2600A E. Seltice, No. 226, Post Falls, ID 83854.
    â?¢Donations can be made to the Groene Family Fund at any Inland Northwest Bank in Coeur d'Alene, Post Falls or Spokane, or mailed to 955 Ironwood Drive, Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814. The fund was set up by friends of Shasta's father, Steve Groene.
    â?¢Donations are also being accepted to the Shasta Groene Fund at any US Bank branch nationwide. The fund was established by relatives of the Groenes to help cover medical expenses, counseling and education costs. Donations can be mailed to US Bank, P.O. Box 1029, Post Falls, ID 83877.

tydtm Guest
    So maybe I'm sick...but I read a lot about stories dealing with little kids. (Im working towards being in the field of the FBI that deals with missing kids/exploitation cases) and truly...

this world is going to end.
    &
    soon. There is so much evil...
    RIP to all the little Angels.

Seagorath Guest
    What is generating all of this 'evil' ?

Quote Originally Posted by tydtm View Post
    So maybe I'm sick...but I read a lot about stories dealing with little kids. (Im working towards being in the field of the FBI that deals with missing kids/exploitation cases) and truly...

this world is going to end.
    &
    soon. There is so much evil...
    RIP to all the little Angels.

Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    What is generating all of this 'evil' ?
    I think the evil has always been there and with the advent of the internet we just hear about it quicker and more often. There was a time that if this type of crime was reported on, we didn't get the gory details like we do now.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

I think the evil has always been there and with the advent of the internet we just hear about it quicker and more often. There was a time that if this type of crime was reported on, we didn't get the gory details like we do now.
    I agree. There are many fucked up people on this planet, but there are a hell of a lot of good people too. You can find them if you're looking.

Auntie Vi Guest

Armcast Guest
    I know that it is legally required, but is a hearing to see if this scumbag gets the death penalty really going to produce any surprises???

Seagorath Guest
    What a sick piece of shit!....

Killer taped boy's torture, prosecutor says

BOISE, Idaho (AP) -- The crime was meticulously planned, the killer choreographing every step from his surveillance of the doomed family to the videotaped torture of one of his youngest victims.

Joseph Edward Duncan III stalked the Groene family and killed four of its five members.

Yet something as simple as a locked back door, or fiercer family dogs, might have turned Joseph Edward Duncan III away.
    Duncan's federal sentencing hearing opened Wednesday with U.S. Attorney Thomas Moss outlining how the convicted pedophile terrorized the Groene family, all because he wanted to "live out his fantasy" and exact revenge on society for perceived wrongs.
    Duncan pleaded guilty last year to 10 federal charges in the kidnapping of two siblings, ages 8 and 9, and the murder of the older child. The jury will determine whether he should serve life in prison or be executed.
    Moss told jurors they'd have to watch video footage of the sexual torture of 9-year-old Dylan Groene, filmed shortly before Duncan killed him.
    Duncan forced 8-year-old Shasta Groene, the sole survivor, to watch the video. He also made her watch as he killed her brother, jurors were told.
    Duncan, who is representing himself, told the jury Wednesday that most of what Moss said was fair and accurate "up to the point of what occurred at the campground."
    He said he would testify so he could try to "clarify things."
    His standby legal counsel, Judy Clarke, has said Duncan doesn't plan to offer any mitigation, such as evidence of his own traumatic childhood.
    Shasta's videotaped statements to police will tell her story in court. It's not known if she will offer a victim impact statement.
    Duncan's past is littered with arrests and prison time for crimes ranging from car theft to rape and molestation. He is suspected in the 1996 slayings of two half-sisters from Seattle and is charged with the 1997 killing of a young boy in Riverside County, California.
    In 2005, he went to Idaho. Duncan broke into the Groenes' Coeur d'Alene home, bludgeoning 13-year-old Slade Groene, his mother, Brenda Groene, and her fiance, Mark McKenzie, before abducting Shasta and Dylan. Duncan has already pleaded guilty in state court for the three murders; the federal case concerns the crimes against Shasta and Dylan.
    Duncan had researched police investigation procedures and took steps to avoid getting caught, Moss told jurors. He bought too-large tennis shoes at a thrift store so no bloody footprints would lead police to him. He wiped down shotgun shells before loading them so there'd be no fingerprints. He loaded the first shot with BB pellets because he thought he'd have to shoot the family dogs and didn't necessarily want to kill them.
    He had a video camera, a computer and a GPS device filled with locations he thought would be handy, such as potential campsites, Moss said. He brought with him the framing hammer he used to bludgeon the older victims.
    On the night of the murders, Duncan crept across a field to the home, using a low-visibility red-bulb flashlight to guide his way. He peered into a window and saw the children sleeping. One of the family dogs saw him and growled, frightening him enough that he retreated to the fence, Moss said.
    "He made a decision: `If that back door is locked, I'm going to abort,"' Moss said Duncan later told police.
    When he turned the handle, it opened. Then the terror began.
    The dogs scurried away when they saw Duncan's gun, Moss said. Duncan bound the family, took the youngest children outside and beat the others to death.
    Then he drove away with Dylan and Shasta, making sure they knew he had killed their relatives as he headed into the Montana wilderness.
    The trio camped for several weeks at the end of a remote road. When Duncan left the camp, he tied the children to a tree with a dog chain.
    On June 22, 2005, Duncan left Shasta at the camp, taking Dylan to a cabin, where he videotaped himself sexually abusing and torturing the boy.
    "Heinous, cruel and depraved are tough words in the English language, but none of these words ... fully express the outrage of what you will see," Moss told jurors.
    After they returned to the campsite, the first thing Duncan did was show Shasta the video, Moss said.
    Then, at some point during the next four days, Shasta heard a gunshot and turned to see Dylan clutching his stomach where he'd been hit. She watched as Duncan walked over to Dylan, held the gun to his head and pulled the trigger. The gun didn't fire, Moss said, so Duncan reloaded and fired again.
    Duncan wrapped the body in a tarp, threw it on the campfire and let it burn until it was reduced to ashes. He then took Shasta back to Coeur d'Alene, stopping for a meal at a Denny's restaurant, where a waitress recognized the girl and called police.
    Dylan "deserves the justice that only you can provide," Moss told the jury.

Auntie Vi Guest
    I've hated this guy since I heard of him, now I could kill him myself