Thread: Richard Fleischer

RoRo Guest

Richard Fleischer

1916 - 2006
    Fleischer directed his first feature in 1946. His early films were taut film noir thrillers such as Bodyguard (1948), The Clay Pigeon (1949), Follow Me Quietly (1949), Armored Car Robbery (1950), and The Narrow Margin (1952).
    In 1954, he was chosen by Walt Disney (his father's former rival as a cartoon producer) to direct 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. He became known for big features, often employing special effects, such as Barabbas (1962), Fantastic Voyage (1966), Dr. Dolittle (1967), and Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970).
    He directed many action adventures such as Violent Saturday (1955), Bandido (1956), The Vikings (1958), and Mr. Majestyk (1974). He also directed a trilogy of films centering on famous serial killers and focusing on the theme of capital punishment: Compulsion (1959), The Boston Strangler (1968) and 10 Rillington Place (1971). He helmed Soylent Green (1973), a cautionary tale of overpopulation and pollution. Some of his entertainments are regarded as controversial and provocative, such as Che! (1969), a biopic of Che Guevara, and the interracial melodrama of the Deep South in Mandingo (1975), The Jazz Singer (1980) Tough Enough (1982) Amityville 3-D (1983) Conan the Destroyer (1984) Red Sonja (1985)
    Fleischer was chairman of Fleischer Studios, which today handles the licensing of Betty Boop and Koko the Clown. In June 2005 he released his memoirs of his father's career in Out of the Inkwell: Max Fleischer and the Animation Revolution

Guest Guest
    Talented guy. Thanks RoRo. I must get hold of a copy of that memoir, sounds interesting.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    The serial killer "trilogy" ('Compulsion,' 'The Boston Strangler,' 10 Rillington Place")--all three were superb. The man was certainly talented.

Long Gone Day Guest
    I..loved..*20,000..Leagues..Under..the..Sea*
    and..*Fantastic..Voyage*....I..didnt..know
    anything..about..him..and..would..love
    to..read..that..memoir..about..his
    father.....Thanks..RoRo..

Jod6cindy Guest
    One of the nicest, kindest, most soft-spoken "industry men" that ever lived.

What a classy GENTLEMAN you were, Mr. Fleischer.