Thread: Louis Edmonds - Dark Shadows & All My Children

RoRo Guest

Louis Edmonds - Dark Shadows & All My Children

Louis Edmonds was born on 24 September 1923, in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
    His early small screen roles included parts in Studio One and The Goodyear Television Playhouse. This experience was to serve him well for his four-year stint on Dark Shadows, before which he completed the film Come Spy with Me.
    Following Dark Shadows, Louis successfully overcame depression and problems with alcohol before landing the role of Langley Wallingford on All My Children in 1979, for which he was twice nominated for an Emmy. Probably the role for which he is best remembered, Louis played the character periodically until 1995. He recorded a spin-off CD based around the character, titled No One Cares About Langley, which incorporated material from his successful cabaret act.
    In 1993, Louis Edmonds underwent successful treatment for throat cancer, entering retirement soon afterwards. Thereafter he continued to make appearances at the annual Dark Shadows Festivals, along with occasional appearances on All My Children. In 1997, he appeared in the independent film Next Year in Jerusalem, which would be his final role.
    Louis Edmonds died of respiratory failure on March 3, 2001.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by RoRo; 02-20-2008 at 09:58 PM.

Jazbabee Guest
    You beat me to it - I had considered doind a thread on him a couple months back, but was actually going to attempt a Dark Shadows thread. I absolutely loved him as Langley Wallingford on All My Children, and enjoyed him on Dark Shadows also

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    GOD it's been so long since I've seen 'Dark Shadows,' but his character was, I believe, Roger Collins, is that correct? Am I even close?

I SO want to buy the DVDs of this show but they are prohibitively expensive, mostly because there are so MANY of them!

RoRo Guest
    Yes you are right....fans of Dark shadows might want to check this site out...got the info there...
    http://www.collinwood.net/

phirerednga Guest
    I cant believe I totally missed his passing. I do remember him on Dark Shadows (I had to sneak to watch it) but for me watching him on All my Children was such a treat, he really did the role of Langley Wallingford up right. RIP Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    GOD it's been so long since I've seen 'Dark Shadows,' but his character was, I believe, Roger Collins, is that correct? Am I even close?

I SO want to buy the DVDs of this show but they are prohibitively expensive, mostly because there are so MANY of them!
    Mercy, Jack! You're so right. I watched this show when I was but a tiny thing (Mom was addicted) - I swear this is where my love of all things dead and horror came from. I was going to add this to my Amazon wish list, but I would need a loan to get all of them!
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post

I recently started collecting the Dark Shadows DVD sets, and you are right they are expensive, but to me worth it. I also found deals on Amazon where I buy 2 and get the 3rd.....so check for deals !!!

endsleigh03 Guest
    There is a Dark Shadows thread on FAD. Somewhere

Not much of one but I bumped it up.
    Last edited by endsleigh03; 02-21-2008 at 06:44 PM.

Reecy Guest
    Who could ever forget Langley and Pheobe Wallingford. Those 2 made me laugh so much.

This man Mr. Edmunds was the kindest person I ever met. I met him in the Dark Shadows Festival. He was always so gracious and always had a smile for you.

RIP

RoRo Guest
    aww thanks for adding that Reecy...I always thought he was probably a nice person from what I have read of him

MIZIZVOGUE Guest
    He really knew how to handle Phoebe. I think I liked his role better on AMC.

RoRo Guest
    I miss Phoebe!!! The young folks don't have a clue to how to be a true soap diva!

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    I miss Phoebe!!! The young folks don't have a clue to how to be a true soap diva!
    Me too !!!! I am going to do a search, and if I don't find one, I will start a Ruth Warrick thread

More Cheese Please Guest
    I couldn't bump up Ruth Warrick's thread without giving a nod to Louis Edmonds too! Loved him as Langley in AMC and as Roger Collins in Dark Shadows!

More Cheese Please Guest

Nicki Guest
    Oh my gosh....I loved Dark Shadows. Watched it faithfully back in the 60's plus read all the Barnabas Collins books. Never put two and two together that Louis was Langley Wallingford. I have watched ALL My Children since I was preggers with my first child in 1971. Sad to know all those delightful Actors from way back when are leaving us now. Oops....I guess I will be next!

17. 07-11-2010, 11:01 PM

There's a good biography of Louis by a friend of his, the late Craig Hamrick, entitled BIG LOU. It's still available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. (I have the old original fanzine copy autographed by Mr. E., and a copy of his CD, "Nobody Cares About Langley", which is a hoot if you can still get one. He was a good singer, until he had throat surgery.)

You can see a sample of it here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ILk...page&q&f=false

(BTW, Craig passed away on September 24, 2006, which would have been his friend Big Lou's 82nd birthday.)

Some fan photos from another mutual friend. Louis Edmonds was VERY appreciative of his fans from both eras of his soap opera career, often attending events even when he was in poor health toward the end of his life, and invited them to his home.

http://bobubas.topcities.com/big_lou.htm

Here's a picture I took of a LIFE-SIZED portrait done of Louis for his role in a pilot for a new prime-time Dan Curtis supernatural show that only aired once in 1971 (I think.) It was entitled "A Darkness at Blaisedon", and only recently became available on DVD.

Louis played the angry ghost of a commodore (pretty cool since he was in the Navy during WW2 and was still able to fit in his own old uniform 50 years later.)

The portrait, like others of some actors from DS, was given to the subject of the painting, and hung for years in Louis's home, and then in his family's old Louisiana mansion, across from a painting of his beloved companion.

After his death, it was donated to an auction at one DS convention, proceeds to charity. I do not remember how much it sold for, but it was way up there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	louisportrait.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	28627  
    Last edited by Linnie; 07-12-2010 at 09:20 PM.

Nvr_Sk_to_Tll Guest
    A late 1960s pin-up of Louis in character as his 1897-era Dark Shadows character, Edward Collins. This was part of a series distributed by gum manufacturer Philly. There were also smaller pink and later green bordered cards.

Name:	$(KGrHqF,!lkE2EVTys6hBNuW7Hnwyg~~0_3.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	30721  

cloudddae Guest

He was also great as Langley Wallingford.

Snarky247 Guest
    I had the great honor of having dinner with Ruth Warrick in 1984. She was not only fascinating, warm and gracious but also very loving and complimentary of her co-stars, especially Louis Edmonds (among others). From '86-'88, I was fortunate enough to interact with Candace Earley (Donna Tyler Sago etc) & her stories about Louis were just as warm & loving. From what I heard, he was not only a wonderful person but also a generous actor who relished the successes of his co-stars as much as his own -- a rare & wonderful trait in actors & actresses

Reecy Guest
    He was the perfect uncle on Dark Shadows. Very believable. I loved his accent. The new DS movie should have a similar actor to play against Johnny Depp.

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Snarky247 View Post
    I had the great honor of having dinner with Ruth Warrick in 1984. She was not only fascinating, warm and gracious but also very loving and complimentary of her co-stars, especially Louis Edmonds (among others). From '86-'88, I was fortunate enough to interact with Candace Earley (Donna Tyler Sago etc) & her stories about Louis were just as warm & loving. From what I heard, he was not only a wonderful person but also a generous actor who relished the successes of his co-stars as much as his own -- a rare & wonderful trait in actors & actresses
    Thank you so much for sharing this. I have watched this show from almost day one....he was most definitely a favorite and well as Ruth Warrick. What a treasure to have shared lunch with such a wonderful lady.
    Whatever happen to Candace Earley? Enjoyed her as well.

TIMB1967 Guest
    I've only seen Louis in his Dark Shadows role but have so far loved him from what I've seens. Luckily, I still have many sets to go through and get to see all of the wonderful DS roles he played in the rest of that series.

Snarky247 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    Thank you so much for sharing this. I have watched this show from almost day one....he was most definitely a favorite and well as Ruth Warrick. What a treasure to have shared lunch with such a wonderful lady.
    Whatever happen to Candace Earley? Enjoyed her as well.

Last I heard, Candy (as everyone in her hometown of Lawton OK knows her) had retired & I believe she was married. I was living in Lawton in the late 80s & working as the publicity director for the community theatre there. She came home quite often, supported the theatre & sang my son one of his first lullabies. She is a great singer & performer live...hope wherever she is, she's still sharing that talent with others

Barneylvr Guest

Louis Edmonds one of the last videos

Dick Cavett and his wife Carrie Nye bought a place called "Tick Hall" out in Montauk back in the 60s. Late 90s Tick Hall burned to the ground. Fortunately through measurments and sketches,that were done by a interior decorator they re-built Tick Hall. Upon completion of the project a party was held, one of the guest was Louis. He was looking to be in poor health then and died not too long after. There's a dvd that was made on the restoration of Tick Hall. I came across it at a local library.

Nvr_Sk_to_Tll Guest
    Hey all. Was stumbling around the 'net and found this nice photo of Louis that I wanted to share. You must admit, he was quite a good-looking guy.

Name:	!C!2oRfQ!mk~$(KGrHqR,!joE0Du4sfM8BNE2m5(vPw~~_3.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	30832  

Nvr_Sk_to_Tll Guest
    It's summertime, and for many of us, that may mean getting outdoors and enjoying the lovely weather. In honor of that, a couple of pix of Louis at the beach in the late 1960s. One on his own, contemplating the day, and one with Dark Shadows co-star Jonathan Frid.

Name:	louisbeach.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	30952   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	249733_160842443982011_158888330844089_350788_6147284_n.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	30953  

Rudy's Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nvr_Sk_to_Tll View Post
    It's summertime, and for many of us, that may mean getting outdoors and enjoying the lovely weather. In honor of that, a couple of pix of Louis at the beach in the late 1960s. One on his own, contemplating the day, and one with Dark Shadows co-star Jonathan Frid.
    This is weird for me, LOL. Barnabas on the beach. I always think of him in old fashioned clothes, make up and fangs from Dark Shadows.