Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunman opens fire at US college (Northern Illinois University)

Gunman opens fire at US college (Northern Illinois University)

A gunman is reported to have opened fire on students at a university near Chicago in the United States.

The local television station, CLTV, said 18 people were shot at Northern Illinois University, in De Kalb, 65 miles (100 km) west of Chicago.
    Students who called in to local radio stations reported seeing a white male with a pistol and a shotgun.
    Emergency services are at the scene and several people have been taken to hospital with head wounds.
    Kishwaukee Community Hospital said on its website up to 15 victims were arriving for treatment, including three to four with head wounds.
    The university's website first issued alerts, warning of the possibility of a gunman on campus.
    "Get to a safe area and take precautions until given the all clear," it warned students.
    The site then carried updates confirming the shooting and telling students to stay away or stay in doors.
    The latest posting says: "Campus police report that the scene is secure. Only essential personnel should remain on campus."
    Emergency hotlines and counselling are being offered for students and parents.

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    Oh My God not again! Doesn't anyone settle anything with a good old fashioned fist fight anymore?

I see dead people Guest
    Yes, sadly it has happened again!

Mamma Guest
    Fuck.

Lita Guest
    Okay, these people need to stop this bullshit! The shooter is dead; 17 people were shot. Why, why, why, why? This makes me sick! Now people are going to start shouting about gun control but I'll reiterate what I said in another post: these things seems to happen in cycles. There will be a rash of these rampages and for a couple of years it won't happen. Plus, these cowards get their ideas from other people. They see somebody else do this and they, too, will do it. If you decide to take the guns away from the people who are obtaining them legally it's not going to stop anything. These arsholes are, mostly, obtaining their guns from relatives or illegally. And if they do obtain their weapons legally, nobody thinks that those with the guns are going to go crazy. Now this shooter will be splashed all over the news and for the next week we'll hear his name and his reasons. I say ban the release of the shooters' names and manifestos! STOP making them infamous! Then they might stop this crap if they realize that they aren't going to make the news!

Cherry Malotte Guest
    Jesus...our nephew is down at Carbondale right now. I almost had a friggin heart attack when I first heard 'college' and didn't hear which one.

Why in the name of fuck if you are gonna shoot yourself do you feel the need to take others with you?

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Lita, you have a marvelous idea there. We've all heard of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, right?

Who can name one of the victims of the Columbine massacre?

The media shouldn't even mention this monster's name. Just call him or her The Perpatrator.

Cherry Malotte Guest
    Now they are saying four kids dead. They don't think this idiot was a student either. Fucker. I hope the devil has him roasting over an open pit right now.

I'm sorry that this idiot may have had mental problems...but jeez.

Daphne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Malotte View Post
    Now they are saying four kids dead. They don't think this idiot was a student either. Fucker. I hope the devil has him roasting over an open pit right now.

I'm sorry that this idiot may have had mental problems...but jeez.

This is honestly just getting out of hand, and I just heard five dead.. but apparently there is still info coming in on this..

Jazbabee Guest
    Crazy ass bastards out here !!!!

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by W Axl Rose View Post
    A gunman is reported to have opened fire on students at a university near Chicago in the United States.

The local television station, CLTV, said 18 people were shot at Northern Illinois University, in De Kalb, 65 miles (100 km) west of Chicago.
    Students who called in to local radio stations reported seeing a white male with a pistol and a shotgun.
    Emergency services are at the scene and several people have been taken to hospital with head wounds.
    Kishwaukee Community Hospital said on its website up to 15 victims were arriving for treatment, including three to four with head wounds.
    The university's website first issued alerts, warning of the possibility of a gunman on campus.
    "Get to a safe area and take precautions until given the all clear," it warned students.
    The site then carried updates confirming the shooting and telling students to stay away or stay in doors.
    The latest posting says: "Campus police report that the scene is secure. Only essential personnel should remain on campus."
    Emergency hotlines and counselling are being offered for students and parents.
    Yes, and here it goes again.

DEKALB, Ill. - A man dressed in black opened fire with a shotgun and two handguns from the stage of a lecture hall at Northern Illinois University on Thursday, killing five students and injuring 16 others before committing suicide, authorities said.

The shooting was the fourth at a U.S. school within a week.
    On Feb. 8, a woman shot two fellow students to death before committing suicide at Louisiana Technical College in Baton Rouge. In Memphis, Tenn., a 17-year-old is accused of shooting and critically wounding a fellow student Monday during a high school gym class, and the 15-year-old victim of a shooting at an Oxnard, Calif., junior high school has been declared brain dead.
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 02-14-2008 at 06:58 PM.

<H2>From Sky News

The death toll in the latest college shooting in the United States has now risen to seven, the day after a former student walked into an Illinois university and opened fire.

</H2> Six dead in latest school shooting

The gunman, who has not yet been named, wounded another 15 before taking his own life.
    Dressed in black, the killer walked on to the stage of a lecture hall at Northern Illinois University and opened fire on a packed science class, setting off a panicked stampede.
    He reportedly fired into the lecture theatre with a shotgun and at least one handgun, at one point calmly reloading.
    Police have named some of those killed as Daniel Parmenter, 20, of Westchester; Catalina Garcia, 20, of Cicero; Ryanne Mace, 19, of Carpentersville; and Julianna Gehant, 32, of Meridan.
    The shooting was the fourth at a US school within a week.
    Desiree Smith, a student who dropped to the floor at the back of the auditorium, said: "I kept thinking, 'Oh God, he's going to shoot me. Oh God, I'm dead. I'm dead. I'm dead'.
    "People were crawling on each other, trampling each other. As I got near the door, I got up and I started running."
    University President John Peters said four people died at the scene, including three students and the gunman, while the other two died at a hospital. The teacher, a graduate student, was wounded but is expected to recover.
    Mr Peters said the gunman was a former graduate student in sociology at NIU, but was not currently enrolled at the 25,000-student campus, which is about 65 miles west of Chicago.
    Students at a prayer service

Witnesses said the skinny gunman, dressed in black and wearing a beanie hat, emerged from behind a screen on the stage of 200-seat Cole Hall and opened fire just as the class was about to end around 3pm.
    Officials said 162 students were registered for the class but it was unknown how many were there.
    The school was closed for one day during final exam week in December after campus police found threats, including racial slurs and references to shootings earlier in the year at Virginia Tech, scrawled on a bathroom wall in a dormitory.
    Mr Peters said he knew of no connection between that incident and the attack.
    Sky News Washington correspondent Robert Nisbet said: "There have been four this week alone, which is an extraordinary number."
    In April last year, Virginia Tech became the site of the deadliest rampage, when a gunman killed 32 people and himself.

endsleigh03 Guest
    This is insane, it is not safe to attend classes, since nobody can predict where it will pop up and at what school. These shootings are no longer isolated incidents.

Snoopy Guest
    Shit and so it goes again! Damn these kids...Last I heard the shooter has not been identified..I hope it stays that way! My nephew starts college next year..it's sick to have to worry about a loved one getting shot to death on a College Campus!

When I was that age I was in a war zone. At least there I could shoot back.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

WendyK Guest
    This is absolutley crazy!Why do they feel the need to go shoot up schools? We have buzzers and camera's to be let in at my kids ELEMENTARY school.Whats this world comming to?

Home Schooling is seeming so much more appealing to me as the years go on.

SquirrelNutZipper Guest
    Sorry...
    Last edited by SquirrelNutZipper; 02-15-2008 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Nevermind...no one wants to hear my complaints about teaching in a college

don't_axe_me Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    This is insane, it is not safe to attend classes, since nobody can predict where it will pop up and at what school. These shootings are no longer isolated incidents.
    It's not just schools. It's malls, Mc Donald's, Luby's, parks, post offices, office buildings.......

tuesdays_jupiter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Malotte View Post
    Jesus...our nephew is down at Carbondale right now. I almost had a friggin heart attack when I first heard 'college' and didn't hear which one.

Why in the name of fuck if you are gonna shoot yourself do you feel the need to take others with you?

I live 1/2 time in Jackson, MO (near Cape Girardeau) and Carbondale is just a lil' ways away...I am a student at MSU and let me tell you, these college shootings are gettin' old. I am old enough to be scared to death b/c I was in school in the middle of both Columbine and (closer to me) Jonesboro, now i've got to go through all the college shootings, its bullpoo! And I agree with you , if your gonna off yourself do it and leave everyone else alone.

SuburbanDeathHag Guest
    It's time to have some kind of armed security on these college campuses. Maybe the instructors should have some firearms training, and have a secured weapon at their disposal. Why should the suicidal lunatic be the only person with a firearm?

Harrietd Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SuburbanDeathHag View Post
    It's time to have some kind of armed security on these college campuses. Maybe the instructors should have some firearms training, and have a secured weapon at their disposal. Why should the suicidal lunatic be the only person with a firearm?
    What if the instructor is suicidal? When should we allow students to carry weapons? Tenth grade? Fifth grade? Kindergarten? Why won't you recognise the need for gun control? This stuff makes my blood boil. Again, as a Canadian, I ask you; why is the American rate of death by gun so much higher than ours? I still haven't gotten an answer. I don't want to use this forum as my own personal soap box, but quotes like the one above beg for it.

Just as an aside, when I logged on today, the headline that popped up read 'campus gunman came off meds'. Ya think?

I had some professors in college that you definitely would not want to hand a firearm to- batshit crazy would begin to cover it. I'm eternally grateful that none of them were carrying weapons while I was student!

Could we maybe start with better security and perhaps some screening before we arm everybody? It could turn into the Wild West pretty quickly. If the staff was allowed to carry weapons, I'd at least want a _very_ strict background check, a mental illness screening and lots of training. One loose cannon in a firefight is enough.

SuburbanDeathHag Guest
    I didn't suggest students being armed. Geez, Harriet, I suggested a trained instructor with a secured weapon. Sorry to get you all hopped up on a gun control rant.
    Last edited by SuburbanDeathHag; 02-15-2008 at 02:17 PM.

It's time to have some kind of armed security on these college campuses.

Does that not set alarm bells ringing? Armed security on college campuses?

Just leave the country. Children in Iraq are safer.

Harrietd Guest
    Sorry, Suburban. It has to do with a quote from the father of a Columbine survivor. He said if his son had been allowed to carry a weapon, fewer people would have died. Gun control is my pet peeve and I get a little rabid about it.

' nuff said.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BT-secondamendment-gallery-835.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	3587  

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    Lita, you have a marvelous idea there. We've all heard of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, right?

Who can name one of the victims of the Columbine massacre?

The media shouldn't even mention this monster's name. Just call him or her The Perpatrator.
    These are the Columbine kids I can name off the top of my head

Cassie Bernell
    Lauren Townsend
    Corey Depooter
    Rachel Scott
    Kyle Vasquez
    and teacher Dave Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
    This is absolutley crazy!Why do they feel the need to go shoot up schools? We have buzzers and camera's to be let in at my kids ELEMENTARY school.Whats this world comming to?

We have that, too. Some of the issue seems to be "non-custodial" parents who would otherwise try to take the kid without clearing it with the other parent, causing, at best, panic. One of those cases of said parent then going off and killing the children in some twisted form of revenge happened not so far from here, so such fears are sadly justified. In other words, you can't always be safe even from your own _parents_.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by don't_axe_me View Post
    It's not just schools. It's malls, Mc Donald's, Luby's, parks, post offices, office buildings.......

Those too.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
    We have cameras and a cop every day at my kids school. It creates a false sense of security, because a camera isn't going to take out a shooter, and one cop is not going to necessarily take out a really prepared and determined killer. What ya end up with is a camera who might tell you who it was AFTER people are murdered and a possibly dead policeperson. Scary

Lita Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelNutZipper View Post
    Sorry...
    I would like to hear from a college teacher. Please share your thoughts with us. To me, my comments kind of read sarcastic but that is not my intent. I really do want to hear what you have to say.

From all accounts, this shooting was an anomally, in such, that this guy was a graduate of the college and seemed to be on the road to success. I didn't hear what he was taking meds for, only that he stopped taking them. This guy had taken an interest in the criminal justice system and mental illness. It sounds like he wanted to get a grasp on what was wrong with him. Authorities are looking for a woman that may have been his girlfriend. They're also looking into whether he and this girl broke up recently. To me the only "logical" explination to me is that she went to school there and was supposed to be or was in that class when he opened fire--but you really can't make sense out of these things.

As for the 14 year old....how sick and sad. He's going to be charged as an adult with a hate crime because the boy he killed was gay. They had a "falling out" over the victim's sexual orientation. I haven't heard how this young boy got a hold of a gun but I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say that it was probably one of his parents'. When are parents going to take responsibility for their roles in these things? The college shooter was 27 and obtained his guns legally so we can only blame him. However, this young boy was not able to obtain a gun legally so he had access to one. There are ways to protect children from this type of thing. They're called gun safes. Don't let your child know the combination and lock up your guns! Be responsible and get a safety lock for guns. I think in cases like this where a child takes a gun from home and brings it to school and kills somebody that the parents should also be charged somehow. It's obviously not enough to keep guns where ever. They need to be OUT OF REACH of children. And like I said before DO NOT BLAME THE TELEVISION, MOVIES, OR VIDEO GAMES FOR YOUR SHORT-COMINGS AS A PARENT! That's one of those things that really gets my goat. We can lay some blame on the news agencies for pouring over every detail of massacres lives and airing it ad nauseum. The shooters get more air time than the victims and it's sick. But, if a parent isn't supervising what their children watch on tv or what movies they're watching, if a parent isn't there to explain the difference between a video game and real life, it's not that medium's fault, it's the parents' fault. If you're going to have children, be a PARENT. It's not up to anybody else to raise that child...getting off my soapbox now. That's my two cents on the matter (more like $0.54 but sometimes ya just gotta rant)
    Last edited by Lita; 02-15-2008 at 04:50 PM.

Lita Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    We have cameras and a cop every day at my kids school. It creates a false sense of security, because a camera isn't going to take out a shooter, and one cop is not going to necessarily take out a really prepared and determined killer. What ya end up with is a camera who might tell you who it was AFTER people are murdered and a possibly dead policeperson. Scary
    And one police officer is no match to multiple gunmen like in Columbine.

octobersky Guest
    Oh my gosh, I was watching the news today about this -

One lady on there started in on how the college shooter probably had a history of playing violent video games. And how he probably liked rock music.
    I couldn't believe it! He was 27 y/o, not 12.

Lita Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by octobersky View Post
    Oh my gosh, I was watching the news today about this -

One lady on there started in on how the college shooter probably had a history of playing violent video games. And how he probably liked rock music.
    I couldn't believe it! He was 27 y/o, not 12.
    OMG! No! Not *gasp* rock music! Oh, the horror! Let's just ignore the other 52.3 million people who listen to rock music and don't kill people.

octobersky Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lita View Post
    OMG! No! Not *gasp* rock music! Oh, the horror! Let's just ignore the other 52.3 million people who listen to rock music and don't kill people.
    We are all time bombs then I suppose. She was so angry about it - but put the blame where it didn't belong. He was an adult - he knows what he was doing was wrong. No doubt.

Lita Guest
    I guess if rock music makes people killers, I'm going to be a zombie. I listened to Michael Jackson's "Thriller". WATCH OUT EVERYBODY!

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by W Axl Rose View Post
    Does that not set alarm bells ringing? Armed security on college campuses?

Just leave the country. Children in Iraq are safer.
    Wow that is not at all true.

Lita Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    Wow that is not at all true.
    I don't think Axl was being serious. People point out all the time that we have a violent society but people also neglect to mention the massacres in Africa. Our children may fear going to school but in Iraq, their children have to fear going outside at all. We don't have idiots blowing up cars at every turn.

There have been WAY too many public/school shootings nowadays. So sad.

cherryghost Guest
    Guns in University's and Schools???
    Ban them guys it will cut down on the American Corpses.
    The less guns there are the less shootings there are, its incredible but true!
    Our hearts go out to the US whenever these shootings happen and its too often!
    I dont want to offend or start another gun debate we have different opinions and culture but not so different.
    I live in Australia where we have tried to learn from Port Arthur banning guns has had an impact here.
    Last edited by cherryghost; 02-16-2008 at 06:06 PM.

i know this is easier said than done,but the army teaches when you find yourself in the kill zone of a prepared ambush[they also teach to not get into a prepared ambush] the only solution is to return fire into the enemies.

every body in a group of people attacked is going to have to return fire,if it is only books,coke bottles ,keys,chairs,whatever as you advance on the shooter.

i remember a witness to va. tech. "wishing it would just stop". boy.

you,we are going to have to take responsibility for our individual well being,and be willing to sacrifice for our fellows.

There's something sadly wrong in the world when a discussion could legitimately contain the phrase "If he shoots at you with his Glock try throwing your Tipp-Ex at him."

as Yogi Berra says"If the world was perfect,you would never see it".

46. 02-18-2008, 09:11 AM

47. 02-18-2008, 03:53 PM

BabaBooey Guest
    This is freaky, but I'm separated by two (or is it three?) degrees from one of the students killed. Catalina Garcia's older brother is friends with my co-worker. And I live in Arizona.

Do they know Kevin Bacon?

Lita Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Do they know Kevin Bacon?
    OMG, cleanskull!!! I can always count on you to make me smile and outright laugh at least once a day. You make the heavy stuff lighter, thank you!

CNN had a story about the killer not more than half an hour ago. Another one of those "We're learning more about...." I screamed "I DON'T CARE" at the tv and shut it off.

As a student in college, im scared to death to go to school. I live in Tucson, and we had a school shooting at the UofA. I like what someone said earlier in the thread, "Home schooling is looking alot," better now. Ill tell u what it is to me, and that is sad, because we should not be afraid to go to school or work or walk down the street. But the sad reality is the world can be a horrible place. And to have teachers able to carry firearms just scares me more. The teachers are on edge already, waiting to see if one of their students isn't going to lost it one day. To be honest, I dont know what the answer is. Armed police on campuses sounds reasonable to me, but it becomes almost like going to jail. I just dont know. And its so sad that this is what is going on in the world. Didn't 4 different school shootings happen that week. The one in Il got the most attention because that had the most carnage.

And i love the post about "who remembers the victims names from Columbine?" Really, we all know Dylan Klebold, and Eric Harris. I had no problem typing that out. But victims names, Im sorry to admit, I couldn't think of very many, and I only remembered their first names. It wasnt until I saw someone else list them that it was, "Oh ya, I remember now." That is pretty sad too.

We had a school shooting in the UK once. We banned handguns as a result. Haven't had a school shooting since.