Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Ever Regret Knowing About a Celebrity's Life?

Katie Guest

Do You Ever Regret Knowing About a Celebrity's Life?

Do you ever regret knowing about a celebrities life, because it makes you think less of them?

Sometimes I wish I didn't know so much.

What about you?

Danny62 Guest
    Yes. I started a thread on Andy Griffith and its sounding like this guy is a total ass!!!

I was watching TAGS last night and I just can't help now thinking about that! LOL

But I love to find out what makes celebritys tick...especially the dead ones...go figure!

JGrier Guest
    Bob Hope. He has always been a hero of mine but, the more I find out about him, the less I like him.

Katie Guest
    As far as Bob Hope is concerned, I don't think it is necessary to learn all those things being said on here, when some or all could have been rumors. The man, like him or not, did a world of good for the US military. He appeared to care, when others could give a shit.

Yeah, Andy Griffith and John Wayne. I guess we all have things we wouldn't want made public. You know what they say, ignorance is bliss.

Yeah, I agree. When you find out your favorites aren't perfect, it
    just blows your mind. We still need to remember they are only human
    too.

John Wayne in hose and skirt? No sleep tonight!

onehunglow Guest
    Not at all. I want the dirt. That is why I am here. I don't care if Annette sold peanut butter. I want to know who she did the beach bop with. I also want to know who the hell that Icon is.

OBX Guest
    Living here in the Outer Banks where Andy Griffith lives, you can hear a lot of good about the man. Was he a CEO on his shows and had to make hard and fast decisions that people didn't like? Probably. Was he on the road and get irritable etc... Again, I would say probably. And then based on what people have said that he said about himself that he had a drinking problem, there you go.

But he is pretty respected here and people give him his space and he will acknowledge you with a smile or whatever. He is in very bad shape I am hearing. He loves fresh vegetables, especially okra and he goes to the farmers' market to get it himself, but I talked to one of the ladies there and she said the okra is in and he hasn't been by in a couple of weeks or more, so she was worried.

OBX Guest
    That being said, I hated watching the move about Abbott and Costello. I loved those guys and the movie I watched was pretty tough to get through. I watched it thinking I was going to see their routines, which of course, they did the Who's on First bit. But Bud Abbott being so mean and Lou Costello being an alcoholic and they both lost everything to the IRS, it was just a tough nut.

knothere Guest
    yup actors n musicians
    but if i liked there movies or music before i find out if they did the whole football team
    sumtimes i just wont appreciate thier talent and think less or nothing at all of em

OBX Guest
    Great story I heard from Kirk Douglas with John Wayne. Kirk Douglas had just finished the movie about Van Gogh, the artist who cut off his ear for love. He said he was at a party with a lot of people and he went on the back porch to get some air. John Wayne comes out to talk to him about the movie and the guy he portrayed. Apparently, the Duke thought it wasn't right to portray a sissy fella and Kirk Douglas said he asked him, "You don't think you're really John Wayne, do you?" He said Wayne didn't say another word, just looked at him and walked back into the party.
    I thought it was a great story.

OBX Guest
    Final post unless needed. One measure of a person is not a nameless posting, but measure the guy by his friends and enemies. Using Andy Griffith as an example, all of the people from TAGS, Matlock, his movies etc... still go on and on about good the man is. They have nothing to gain and they actually could get some limelight telling some bad stuff on him. Even the latest movie he did, The Waitress, the reports in the movie blogs were of an older actor giving back to the art.
    I don't think you could find any human that hadn't offended someone and if we remember high school, there were people that hated ALL the cheerleaders because they were stuckup or the athletes because they were jocks etc... But then we grow up and we find out the cheerleaders were just as afraid and they didn't wave because they didn't see you, not because you didn't matter. And the athletes were just big on the outside and just as scared of being disliked as the littlest kid in the hall.
    Sorry, but this is my only problem with posters saying somebody, anybody is a jerk because of some perception based on their reality which we don't know how real that is. This is a long-winded way to say, take it all with a grain of salt.

Katie Guest
    The reason I started this, is I grew up meeting a few "stars" in my day. Some I liked better than others, but the few I have met, and got to know, are being trashed on here. I just wonder where all the info comes from, who is saying it, and why once they are dead, is it necessary.

Go back and read some of Scott's things he has written, about the stars. He also didn't like some of them, but he has always treated all with the respect they deserve.

If you saw someone giving head, and it was gross and infected, then by all means tell it, but if you were not there, and you heard it from this person, who heard from this one, and they made it up, just to sale books, then what does that make of us?

Death is a very special thing. I know, because my friend will be buried this week, and the truth be known, he was not always the best person, but he is gone now. He can't defend himself, so why bring it up?

We can be interested in death, without repeating things, we don't know is true.

Btvs2678 Guest
    Now don't get your knickers is a twist. Some people on here have had the bad encounters. Some names are mentioned more then once. If they are mentioned more then once then most likely that celeb had some issues. Of course a few could have just been havin' a bad day.

Now, I agree we should have some recpect for the dead. My grandmother just pasted and she wasn't always the nice person to be around but I choose to remember the better time. When it comes to celebrities that is a different story. They wanted the attention and now they are going to have to live with that forever. That means even after death.

knothere Guest
    its just a matter of opinion

susalu Guest

It's so true....

Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    its just a matter of opinion
    If someone is really a fan of someone famous, no amount of unsubstantiated gossip is going to change that... If you are a huge John Wayne fan, for example... no way is my saying that he was the son of a motherless goat going to change your opinion.... Just grow a spine.... You don't need to defend that person, just accept that other people have the right feel just as strongly in opposing your views -- and that's okay, because you are entitled to your opinion... Cuz you are good enough, you are smart enough, and doggone it, people like you!!!

Scott calls them as he sees them... He prints it all, and if there are opposing views, he adds those if they are from reliable sources... But respectful of the dead??? Not always! Nor does he have to be... They are dead, for chrissakes...

Just MHO...

Susan

deathybrad Guest
    I think almost every celebrity lets me down when I hear about what they really are. Of course the celebs that live admirable lives don't make the news.

JeffD Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffsboys4 View Post
    John Wayne in hose and skirt? No sleep tonight!
    Same here. I wished I hadn't read that. He and Marlene Dietrich exchanging clothes too probably. No wonder they were such great pals.

candleinthewind Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deathybrad View Post
    I think almost every celebrity lets me down when I hear about what they really are. Of course the celebs that live admirable lives don't make the news.
    True, but I do enjoy the dirt and scandals. I've never expected them to be heroes anyway, but sometimes their personal actions make me want to avoid their product. I have always enjoyed Mel Gibson's moves but his anti-Semitic drunken rant means that I probably won't be supporting his next project. Not because I want to punish him in the wallet, but because it wouldn't be fun for me knowing what I know.

Everyone has their good points and their demons. Sometimes you
    really don't know a person. Famous personalities are put on
    a pedestal and then when we find out certain things about them,
    we get disappointed.

Cubano Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX View Post
    Final post unless needed. One measure of a person is not a nameless posting, but measure the guy by his friends and enemies. Using Andy Griffith as an example, all of the people from TAGS, Matlock, his movies etc... still go on and on about good the man is. They have nothing to gain and they actually could get some limelight telling some bad stuff on him.
    Sorry, but this is my only problem with posters saying somebody, anybody is a jerk because of some perception based on their reality which we don't know how real that is. This is a long-winded way to say, take it all with a grain of salt.
    Hello- First post on this board. Just wanted to say a few words, negatively, about Andy Griffith. Do not read if you don't want to hear it.

Yes, I am one of those who would rather not hear negative things about a celebrity I like because it influences my enjoyment of their shows afterwards. For those who want to hear negative things and don't care, this is for you.

I worked on Matlock many years ago and I also was friends with one of the co-stars on the show. Griffith was a tyrant on the show. Yes he was the "star", but no reason for his bad divaish behavior. We all have bad days and we all have a temper so someone visiting a set for one day and seeing an actor flying off the handle should point that out. I worked on the show for a week and saw his behavior every day of that week.

Griffith acted like a spoiled child. Yelling and screaming at people left and right. He had a dresser, who would come in right before filming began to place his suit jacket on him. Griffith would push him away and say he wasn't ready yet, he would yell at the guy saying it was too hot. He would yell at him saying "Where've you been?". It was like the dresser couldn't do anything right for him.

Griffith would yell at the director, at the cameraman, at the other actors, and at the extras in the courtroom scenes. Everyone was terrified of him. I never saw him fire anyone, but heard from his co-star that it was a weekly thing. The crew would completely hush down the minute Griffith would walk on stage to rehearse. He also hated smoking and if he saw anyone walk outside the stage to smoke he would walk over to them and begin screaming about them killing themselves. He would grab the lit cig from their mouth and begin stamping on it. He just acted like a child.

The food was another issue. All sets have a craft service table full of mostly junk food. Griffith would occasionally walk over to the table and begin to pick at food and throw it on the floor saying it was old and crap. You could see everyone just walk away from him, like they just didn't want to get in the way of his tirade.

I could go on and on but you get the jist of it. He was spoiled and arrogant and liked to use his authority to scare people. He seemed to get much enjoyment out of making people afraid of him.

So I apologize if this offends anyone but I tried to warn you. These are not stories I heard from someone else, I was there, if only for one week. It was considered a horrible set to work on (Matlock), and even the extras tried to not get called onto the series for work after just one show.

Guest Guest
    I thought this is why we were here? To dig up the dirt, to learn more, to learn how they lived and what kind of person they were? Just because you find out there a total ass in real life, doesn't mean you should change your opinion about them,after all if your a fan, you would rem the person on TV and wonder, hmmm I wonder if that's the highlight of their life. Their life was their life, they could live it how they wanted. But while on TV they were devoted to us in their roles. Which makes them a good person to me. They worked long hours on TV to make us laugh, smile, and even cry. That ws their job and they succeeded.

onehunglow Guest

You Got it Sweets

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetsumthin View Post
    I thought this is why we were here? To dig up the dirt, to learn more, to learn how they lived and what kind of person they were? Just because you find out there a total ass in real life, doesn't mean you should change your opinion about them,after all if your a fan, you would rem the person on TV and wonder, hmmm I wonder if that's the highlight of their life. Their life was their life, they could live it how they wanted. But while on TV they were devoted to us in their roles. Which makes them a good person to me. They worked long hours on TV to make us laugh, smile, and even cry. That ws their job and they succeeded.
    I want the low down grime and dirt. I want to know who cheats, who stinks, who is an ass and who gets kinky. I don't to want to know about the osmonds unless Donny & Marie are doing the Osmond bop.
    Last edited by onehunglow; 10-16-2007 at 11:57 PM.

BeeCee Guest
    I've been confused, disappointed, irritated, enthralled and enchanted by lots of them over the years. I finally came to the conclusion that they are/were just people and therefore bound to be screwups at some point or another. Like the rest of us less visable folk, some are just better at it than others. If they don't want people to constantly seek to flesh them out so to speak, well, they should have gone into library science instead of show biz.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubano View Post
    Hello- First post on this board. Just wanted to say a few words, negatively, about Andy Griffith. Do not read if you don't want to hear it.

Yes, I am one of those who would rather not hear negative things about a celebrity I like because it influences my enjoyment of their shows afterwards. For those who want to hear negative things and don't care, this is for you.

I worked on Matlock many years ago and I also was friends with one of the co-stars on the show. Griffith was a tyrant on the show. Yes he was the "star", but no reason for his bad divaish behavior. We all have bad days and we all have a temper so someone visiting a set for one day and seeing an actor flying off the handle should point that out. I worked on the show for a week and saw his behavior every day of that week.

Griffith acted like a spoiled child. Yelling and screaming at people left and right. He had a dresser, who would come in right before filming began to place his suit jacket on him. Griffith would push him away and say he wasn't ready yet, he would yell at the guy saying it was too hot. He would yell at him saying "Where've you been?". It was like the dresser couldn't do anything right for him.

Griffith would yell at the director, at the cameraman, at the other actors, and at the extras in the courtroom scenes. Everyone was terrified of him. I never saw him fire anyone, but heard from his co-star that it was a weekly thing. The crew would completely hush down the minute Griffith would walk on stage to rehearse. He also hated smoking and if he saw anyone walk outside the stage to smoke he would walk over to them and begin screaming about them killing themselves. He would grab the lit cig from their mouth and begin stamping on it. He just acted like a child.

The food was another issue. All sets have a craft service table full of mostly junk food. Griffith would occasionally walk over to the table and begin to pick at food and throw it on the floor saying it was old and crap. You could see everyone just walk away from him, like they just didn't want to get in the way of his tirade.

I could go on and on but you get the jist of it. He was spoiled and arrogant and liked to use his authority to scare people. He seemed to get much enjoyment out of making people afraid of him.

So I apologize if this offends anyone but I tried to warn you. These are not stories I heard from someone else, I was there, if only for one week. It was considered a horrible set to work on (Matlock), and even the extras tried to not get called onto the series for work after just one show.
    I hear Anita Corsaunt said he was very impatient with people that would call in sick or show up late or didn't know there lines during "The Andy Griffith Show."

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    I want the low down grime and dirt. I want to know who cheats, who stinks, who is an ass and who gets kinky. I don't to want to know about the osmonds unless Donny & Marie and doing the Osmond bop.
    That was just funny.

Shano Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeCee View Post
    I've been confused, disappointed, irritated, enthralled and enchanted by lots of them over the years. I finally came to the conclusion that they are/were just people and therefore bound to be screwups at some point or another. Like the rest of us less visable folk, some are just better at it than others. If they don't want people to constantly seek to flesh them out so to speak, well, they should have gone into library science instead of show biz.

I agree. Knowing their lives and all of the messes that they and others around them made or are making makes them human to me. It is amazing to me when everyone says that young Hollywood today are more of a mess then ever... sooo not true. It has always been this bad if not worse. The big wigs were just better at covering it up back in the day. I find older Hollywood tibits interesting but all of the Lindsey/Brittany crap is not really that big of a deal to me.

pvezz Guest
    I don't know if this qualifies, but I was a HUGE Seinfeld fan and really liked Kramer. I was soooo horrified when I saw his now-infamous rant at that comedy club. I was like, "OMG, Kramer's an ASSHOLE!!!!"

ComputerGuy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    I don't know if this qualifies, but I was a HUGE Seinfeld fan and really liked Kramer. I was soooo horrified when I saw his now-infamous rant at that comedy club. I was like, "OMG, Kramer's an ASSHOLE!!!!"

Yep. Michael Richards stepped on his dick bigtime with that

RoRo Guest
    I think all people have bad days ( some have bad decades! ) but if you are going to have a public career, then people are going to want to know how you live and "artistic" people are usually more high strung and emotional...which is what makes them great actors, singers, etc.
    Also knowing having the fame and money and public adoration (that Iwill never have) doesn't make ya perfect or happy. Plus I'm just a nosy bitch lol!

Porcelain Guest
    [SIZE=3]Yes, sometimes it is a disappointment. Ignorance is bliss, I suppose.[/SIZE]

orionova Guest
    I don't get all this 'it's wrong to speak ill of the dead'. Why is it? If someone was an a$$h0le in life, death isn't going to somehow redeem them. I was sexually assaulted by a family member who has since died. Am I going to 'not speak ill of the dead'? Hell no!

So, um, no. I've never regretted knowing about a celebrity's life. If someone was a horrible person, I don't want to blindly idolise them. I want to know the person is worthy of my respect.

motherogod Guest
    Sure, sometimes I wish I didn't know the truth... like Rock Hudson was gay or that Milton Berle was a prick (large or not!)... but I keep reading! I guess I've never hit on something so big that I decided to stop this hag hobby and wallow in ignorance... it keeps me coming back for more!

And it's not just about dead folks... I'd totally forgotten about Marv Albert until I watched E!'s 20 Acts of Love Gone Wrong. Good stuff! I guess it's just nice to see that even though some forms of media portray these stars as incapable of wrongdoing, they sometimes do screw up! Nice to see the human side sometimes.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    I think if you pursue a life of fame, you can expect a certain amount of publicity. If you choose to act like an asshole, consistently, that's how you are going to be known. If you choose to fly below the radar and behave with manners and class when you are in public, that is how you are going to be known.

Everyone has a bad day, celeb or not. If they choose to have a higher standard for their personal behavior, they will be treated as such.

Let's face it, if Lindsay and Brit, etc, didn't want the publicity, they'd put their panties on, keep them on, and stay away from the clubs. There are a lot of famous people who you rarely hear a thing about and I don't think that is an accident, especially now, during 24/7 instant news.

tngirl1967 Guest

Reminds me of an old quote.....

"If you can't say something nice about someone..........come sit next to me"
    hehehehe I want the dirt meself

Actually, the only thing about a celebrity that ever bothered me was all the dish on Marlon Brando. Not the fact he was gay (he was attractive to everyone I think), just the sort of, well, weird creepy thing with Cox's ashes got me. Totally made me view him in a different light, just kinda, well, creepy. Can't find another word for it.

Cathy J. Guest
    Not so much a celebrity per-say but a TV Show. The 50's TV show Dennis The Menace. I grew up watching that show and always enjoyed it.

That is until Dennis, well Jay North kept going on TV saying he was abused on the set, his aunt slapping him across the face while the other actors on the set ( and CBS ) did nothing. Then there was that "rumor" going around that Jay was sexually abused by the actor who played Mr. Wilson on the show.

I never did find anything online about the sexual abuse between Jay North and Joe Kearns ( Mr. Wilson ) so I believe that is an urban legend but then again Jay North back in the early 90s did do the rounds of talk shows slamming Dennis The Menace so maybe he did make that claim somewhere. Oh course Kearns died back in 1962 ( when Dennis was still being filmed ) so there is no way to ask him if this is true or not.

Today ( for me at least ) its difficult to watch that show thinking that a child was abused. I think Nickelodeon thought so too since as soon as Noth started making those abuse claims, they dropped the show from their schedule.

onehunglow Guest

I have a non photo shopped picture of "Krammer" in XXX

It was sent to me by a friend who does sound in the XXX business. Taken about 8 years before Seinfeld.I know this isn't a porn board so I am not posting. If you can figure out how to get a email of itlet me know. He is hung. So if you want it .............

onehunglow Guest

you should see it!

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
    Yep. Michael Richards stepped on his dick bigtime with that
    It never came out he tried out for XXX. I have his screen test shot. It's him.

deathybrad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by candleinthewind View Post
    True, but I do enjoy the dirt and scandals. I've never expected them to be heroes anyway, but sometimes their personal actions make me want to avoid their product. I have always enjoyed Mel Gibson's moves but his anti-Semitic drunken rant means that I probably won't be supporting his next project. Not because I want to punish him in the wallet, but because it wouldn't be fun for me knowing what I know.
    Yeah but sometimes there is no real dirt or scandals just dirt bags and wierdos.

I have to admit that I'm addicted to this stuff because it makes me feel more human. No matter how famous you are you still have to shit and die at some point just like the rest of us.

deathybrad Guest
    I have to say that I saw Davis Crosby and Graham Nash on Hardball promoting their prayer for piece concert and I have to say that those are two celebrities that will never disappoint me.

From everything that I've read, back in the good ole' days, if you went into theatre or acting you were considered the dregs of society. It wasn't until the "New Hollywood" came along that it became admirable to be in the movies. If this is indeed the case, I can't be surprised if all of the stars have questionable backgrounds. I would think "normal" stars would be the exception, not the rule.

And - if you weren't the dregs when you got to the party, the movie makers would make sure you were when your left (back in the day).

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    Let's face it, if Lindsay and Brit, etc, didn't want the publicity, they'd put their panties on, keep them on, and stay away from the clubs. There are a lot of famous people who you rarely hear a thing about and I don't think that is an accident, especially now, during 24/7 instant news.
    Amen, Sistah! Preach it!

susalu Guest

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Darrianne View Post
    That was just funny.
    Well, Darrianne.... We know from Dancing with the Stars that Marie Osmond can't dirty dance, so I doubt she and Donnie did the nasty!

Susan

wilkiefan Guest
    I need my heroes to be human beings. I have always abhorred the tendency to make them "larger than life". I think that is why I want to know about their more mundane, human sides - good and bad. So when I find out something about most talented people, I am not so much disappointed as enlightened.

Unless - I cannot stomach stupidity, abuse or cruelty and I don't think possessing talent in any area excuses any of these. When I discover that a favorite artist in any genre is a racist, a misogynist, brain dead stupid, sexually or physically abusive or cruel, I simply stop supporting their careers with my interest. If I can't stand the way the behave, I am not going to invite them into my livingroom to entertain me.

intothelight Guest
    I'm not disappointed in what I read about celebrities. I like the dirt. I like knowing that they are human and not some perfect robot. Now some celebrities I could give two shits about I definitely regret knowing so much.

DrDeath Guest
    I think I'm more disappointed in is the need that some of the rich and famous have for sharing EVERYTHING with us. I don't really need to know the ins and outs of their relationships, where they shop, what their fave TV show is. The things that make the news are ridiculous. Just today I've got Brooklyn Beckham's new haircut, someone from a reality show, ie not a celeb, giving me his views on fake tan and Nicki Minaj (whom?!!!) getting in a fight with her maid. I DON'T NEED TO KNOW THIS! But I can't avoid it because the papers' websites thrive on it.

There's no mystery in celebrity anymore.

slingshot Guest
    Interesting thread. I like the fact that some of you can separate stars' personal lives from their professional one. I remember arguing with someone on another board about Chris Brown, the singer who beat Rhianna (spelling?) up. I didnt like what he did to her but still enjoy his music. Apparently I was to rot in hell for that. I guess Cubano's comments about Andy on Matlock burst my bubble somewhat on him but it doesnt change the fact that I adore TAGS and probably always will.

intothelight Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDeath View Post
    I think I'm more disappointed in is the need that some of the rich and famous have for sharing EVERYTHING with us. I don't really need to know the ins and outs of their relationships, where they shop, what their fave TV show is. The things that make the news are ridiculous. Just today I've got Brooklyn Beckham's new haircut, someone from a reality show, ie not a celeb, giving me his views on fake tan and Nicki Minaj (whom?!!!) getting in a fight with her maid. I DON'T NEED TO KNOW THIS! But I can't avoid it because the papers' websites thrive on it.

There's no mystery in celebrity anymore.
    Exactly what I was thinking. I don't need to know asinine tidbits about their lives.

radiojane Guest
    The thrill of bios of old stars were the little tidbits you would never imagine. But nowadays I literally know what Britney's bush looks like, so I have no interest in knowing about their lives. Info overload.