Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rod Serling

Rod Serling

Love the Twilight Zone. Rod Serling could write. I read
    even in school, he was strange. Where he got his ideas
    I don't know but he was a smart man. Very creative.

He was great. I love watching the Twilight Zone marathons on the SciFi network. Truly a genius, I would have loved to sit down and talk with him.
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

JeffD Guest
    Cool cat, great voice. Class act all the way!!

He was definitely one of a kind. Yeah, Genius is a good title for him.

magblax Guest
    Interesting facts about Rod Serling... He was only 5'4" (or so I read). He was a decorated war veteran who during WWII saw his best friend decapitated by a food crate dropped by a U.S. resupply plane.
    P.S. My favorite Twilight Zone was The Alien Cookbook episode.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    Interesting facts about Rod Serling... He was only 5'4" (or so I read). He was a decorated war veteran who during WWII saw his best friend decapitated by a food crate dropped by a U.S. resupply plane.
    "To Serve Man" was the title.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Pure genius...my fav was the Burgess Meredith one where he finally has time to read without everyone bitching at him, due to the big one finally dropping, and he breaks his glasses.....everytime I watch that I hope it`ll turn out different.....LOL

Lurkster Guest
    I like the episode when the old man dies trying to save his coon dog from drowning. The Devil tries to trick the old man into Hell, telling him that it was Heaven and dogs were not allowed. The old man wouldn't go in if his dog was not allowed. Both of them, (the old man and the dog), finally found Heaven and were allowed in. LOL

TNpuck Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    Really, 5"4"? Maybe it was the way they filmed him, I would have thought he was taller.

2 eps come immediately to mind. "Come Wander With Me" and the episode where the girl with the fever dreams the earth is on a collision course with the sun and wakes up to the opposite.

Truly a great mind and an AWESOME show. My wife hates those marathons. lol

Death Hag Chris Guest
    I love Twilight Zone. not so much a fan of Night Gallery (my mom LOVED that show). but TZ was some crazy stuff. I think it was ahead of it's time.

Danny62 Guest
    Rod used to drop by the set of the filming of "The Andy Griffith show" alot!

He thought that was one of the best comedy shows ever done.

He pretty much thought most what was done on TV was crap though...then again with his talent I can see why!!

The guy was a amazing!!

Rod Serling

Birth: 25 Dec 1924
    Death: 28 Jun 1975
    Burial:
    Interlaken Cemetery
    Interlaken
    Seneca County
    New York, USA
    Plot: Two
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 07-23-2009 at 01:19 AM.

reving19 Guest
    I think he was one of the greatest television writers ever. 9 times out of 10, the endings of TZ had a good twist that left me saying "Wow." He knew how to build to a climax in a story. Gone too soon IMO.

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    Serling! Off da hook. Ya'll named some of my faves already. I also liked the one where the woman wanted to have surgery because she was fugly .. they take off her bandages and she's almost Monroe-pretty -- but everyone else is fugly, so she still didn't fit in (they thought "she" was hideous). Really, some were like Aesop's fables if you think about it .. or Aesop on acid maybe lol

In the movie "Madagascar" where the lemur holds up a book "To Serve Lemur" and screams "IT'S A COOKBOOK! IT'S A COOKBOOK!" i spewed coke all over my lap ...

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noor 7ayaty View Post
    Serling! Off da hook. Ya'll named some of my faves already. I also liked the one where the woman wanted to have surgery because she was fugly .. they take off her bandages and she's almost Monroe-pretty -- but everyone else is fugly, so she still didn't fit in (they thought "she" was hideous).
    I think that one was "Eye Of The Beholder".

Then there's the William Shatner ep...he keeps seeing a monster on the wing of the plane he's on but no one else does. Another is the miniature robot that's scaring the crap out of an old woman...the robot turns out to be a human astronaut who lands on a planet of giants.

Now THAT'S entertainment!

Danny62 Guest
    Another good William Shatner episode is where him and his wife stop at a cafe and he gets obsessed with a fortune telling machine!

God I can't think of many bad episodes!!!

That was great show!!!

death hag dee Guest
    The monster on the plane was Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" It was re done in the Movie (episode 4) with John Lithgow and Dan Akroyd as the ambulance driver at the end....
    I too watch those all day marathons

First post as a death hag

Beatts Guest
    What was the episode called with Burgess Meredith ?

I'd love to catch it.

death hag dee Guest

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Beatts View Post
    What was the episode called with Burgess Meredith ?

I'd love to catch it.

"Time enough at last" Henry Bemis

Beatts Guest
    Thanks !!!

Black99 Guest

I always saw Mr serling smoking cigarettes on his shows.
    I heard he smoked many packs a day.
    Is this true?

Black99 Guest

Rod Serling

I heard he died of lung cancer, is this true?

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Black99 View Post
    I heard he died of lung cancer, is this true?
    [SIZE=3]In May of 1975 he was hospitalized with a mild heart attack. A month later Serling underwent a coronary bypass. There were complications during the surgery and Rod Serling died on June 28, 1975 in Rochester, New York. His father's history of heart disease, his mother's high blood pressure and a 4 pack a day smoking habit all contributed to the death of a powerful force in the history of television.[/SIZE]

Tebssis Guest
    My favorite one was the street vender that talks a guy into buying a pair of sissors "because it's what you NEED" and when he goes into his building, he gets his tie caught in the elevator needing the sissors to cut it before it chokes him....so then he buys something everyday until the vender gets sick of his whining and sells him a pair of shoes with slick soles. THEN he falls in the street and gets hit by a bus and as he's dying says to the vender, I needed these SHOES? And yep, you guessed, the vender says, "No,they were what I needed." Too cool.

Reecy Guest

Thumbs up

One of my favorites is Telly Savalas with the talking doll. That was a good one.

Danny62 Guest
    Another good one was where the airplane hits a time warp and they go back to the dinasuoar era!!!

Arms of Morpheous Guest
    Serling! Off da hook. Ya'll named some of my faves already. I also liked the one where the woman wanted to have surgery because she was fugly .. they take off her bandages and she's almost Monroe-pretty -- but everyone else is fugly, so she still didn't fit in (they thought "she" was hideous). Really, some were like Aesop's fables if you think about it .. or Aesop on acid maybe lol

In the movie "Madagascar" where the lemur holds up a book "To Serve Lemur" and screams "IT'S A COOKBOOK! IT'S A COOKBOOK!" i spewed coke all over my lap ...
    Believe it or not, the "ugly" gal that was wrapped in the bandages in the ugly "Eye of the Beholder" episode was none other than Ellie Mae Clampett (i.e., Donna Douglas). I nver realized what a real beauty she was until I saw her in the TWZ episode!

Danny62 Guest
    The ultimate Rod Serling site:

www.rodserling.com

You can spend hours on here if you are a big Rod Serling fan!!

Have fun!

Post what you like best about the website.

I love the cool pics, and how it talks about what a down to earth man Rod was!!!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I highly recommend this DVD collection to anyone who loves Rod Serling and/or the Twilight Zone. ALL episodes are included from each season, each episode has been restored to pristine condition. Additionally, there are video and audio features included, such as Serling's college lectures, original (unaired) pilots episodes, etc. It's expensive, but WELL worth the cost.
    I'm about half way through this set and just can't say enough about the originality, the inventiveness, the sheer genius that was Rod Serling.

http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Zone-...6755179&sr=1-1

Rod Serling also hosted the Night Gallery I think this series was the best here is a link which all you might enjoy

http://www.nightgallery.net/index.html?title.html&0

I just spent a little time tracking down names of some actors who appeared on both "Twilight Zone" and "Night Gallery." Some of them: Burgess Meredith (multiple times on NG), Agnes Moorehead, Roger Davis, Mickey Rooney, William Windom, Cloris Leachman, John Carradine...

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdr View Post
    Rod Serling also hosted the Night Gallery I think this series was the best here is a link which all you might enjoy

This was a great show! The sad part is alot of what Rod wrote they didn't use. He found out later they wanted him more for his name value then anything else!!

He signed away creative control of the show figuring it would never be an issue!

poppie Guest
    This guy was one weird man. Very talented, etc- but his mind/creative juices were incredible. I think every big star in the movie indistry was in one of his shows. I remember Robert Redford so young, I almost didn't recognize him. Twilight Zone was #1 television.

Lets not forget the one about the devil being locked up in a castle and a man letting him out. Boy did that scare me when I was a little girl!
    The Twilight Zone is my favorite TV series of alltime.

Great post, thanks!

Nowereman Guest
    I loved the Twilight zone TV series, i can't get enough of it.

I agree with Lurkster, the episode with the old man and dog...I watched that as a kid, and it really floored me..hehe. I cried. lol

Sylkyn Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdr View Post

AAAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!! They have that damn DOLL on the front page! I had nightmares about that episode until I was like 30 years old. AND I collect dolls.

Loved that episode!

While that one was great, Night Gallery all in all was really fun. I loved Twilight Zone, but I think Night Gallery was just the thing for a kid in the 70's. Thanks EVER so much for that link!

Fighter Guest
    My absolute favorite! Can watch it repeatedly...

bluebear71 Guest
    The Twilight Zone is of course a classic, but I still say Night Gallery was the shiznet. It sucks we lost him so early.

A very peculiar Night Gallery with Laurie Pringle and Pamlyn Ferden ($) and a rock???

meryn Guest
    "We'll be born together..." That was the episode "Brenda" from 1971, with Laurie Prange. Bizarre!

Danny62 Guest
    I could watch "The Twilight Zone" over and over and never get tired of it. TV at its best...not like todays garbage.

deathhagcutie Guest
    i liked the twilight zone but i did not like night gallery..

dovescry1999 Guest
    "YOU KILLED BILLY RAFER !!!!"
    My sis teases me about that on. With one of the Crosby kids as a rockabilly singer. Halarious !
    Akso, when all the people in the neighborhood thought someone was an alien, and the aliens were controlling all the mess, and watching everybody go crazy...LOL!!!

SquirrelNutZipper Guest
    If they ever do a movie on his life - I think they should consider Jeff Probst of Survivor for the lead.

Don't know if he can act but he sure reminds me of him.

Oh, and my favorite is "The Hitchhiker".

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelNutZipper View Post
    If they ever do a movie on his life - I think they should consider Jeff Probst of Survivor for the lead.

Don't know if he can act but he sure reminds me of him.

Oh, and my favorite is "The Hitchhiker".
    The only problem I have with that is Rod Serling would be laughing his ass off with Reality TV. We all know Rod didn't like much that was produced in the 60's and some wonderful stuff came out of that era.

So I can only imagine what Rod would think of Reality TV!

So I think it would be an insult to poor Rod to have someone who is a star because of Reality TV portray him.

But what the hell do I know? Hollywood just may go with that idea?

SquirrelNutZipper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan7962 View Post
    The only problem I have with that is Rod Serling would be laughing his ass off with Reality TV. We all know Rod didn't like much that was produced in the 60's and some wonderful stuff came out of that era.

So I can only imagine what Rod would think of Reality TV!

So I think it would be an insult to poor Rod to have someone who is a star because of Reality TV portray him.

But what the hell do I know? Hollywood just may go with that idea?

Good point. In fact, I'm not sure that they could ever do Serling justice with a cheesy made-for-tv-movie.

And just for the record...I'm not a Survivor fan. At all. But whenever I see Jeff Probst - for some reason Rod Serling comes to mind. Must be the dimples.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelNutZipper View Post
    Good point. In fact, I'm not sure that they could ever do Serling justice with a cheesy made-for-tv-movie.

And just for the record...I'm not a Survivor fan. At all. But whenever I see Jeff Probst - for some reason Rod Serling comes to mind. Must be the dimples.

Oh your fine. Hope I didn't come across rude in my post?

I have never even seen the dude. You should post a pic for us so we can see Rod's double?

But yeah if they did a Rod Serling movie I am sure it would be cheesy as hell. LOL