Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Owen Hart

Amaya-chan Guest

Owen Hart

I noticed there was no thread for Owen, so I made one.

Taken from Find A Grave:

Son of legendary wrestler Stu Hart and Helen Hart, brother of Bret (Hitman) Hart, brother in law to Davey (The British Bulldog) Smith and Jim (The Anvil) Neidhart. Held the Stampede International Tag Team Championship in 1986, the Commomwealth Mid-Heavyweight Champion in 1996, 2 time Stampede North American Champion in 1987 and 1988, IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion in 1988, USWA Unified Champion in 1993, 4 time WWF Tag Team Champion from 1995 to 1997, WWF Intercontinental Champion in 1997.[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

Cause of death: 50ft. fall from Kemper Arena ceiling

Speaking of the Kemper Arena, Owen apparently haunts it now:
    http://media.www.anchorweb.org/media...-3189377.shtml

knothere Guest
    intersting thanks for the link Amaya-chan

Jack Raines Guest
    AnchorWeb.org's Haunted America takes a look at the Kemper Arena in their most recent article. They are saying that in recent years, there have been multiple reports of sightings of (the ghost of) Owen Hart, who in May 1999, fell nearly 80 feet to his death after he unintentionally triggered an early release from the cable he was being lowered into the ring from. Regarding Owen, they wrote: "Employees have claimed to have seen him in the rafters wearing the costume he was wearing for his gimmick as well as the cable before he began the descent. There have also been reports of flickering lights and other power sources that seem to go on and off in some areas of the arena." You can read the article in its entirety at this link.

jojax Guest

Owen Hart

It's been nine years since Owen Hart died at the Kemper arena in Kansas city...was anyone there or watching pay-per-view when it happened?

**Jenna** Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jojax View Post
    It's been nine years since Owen Hart died at the Kemper arena in Kansas city...was anyone there or watching pay-per-view when it happened?
    No I wasn't there but I have been to Kemper Arena many times. I can't believe its been that long,man time flies

krossvid Guest
    That's where this past Monday Night Raw eminated from. JR said in his blog that the crowd started an Owen chant when the show was over.

Guest Guest
    I was watching the PPV. I have it on tape somewhere....

Wow that went fast
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

For your viewing pleasure, courtesy of our friends at YouTube:

Owen Hart Fall

Warning: this video is very disturbing. You don't see any blood or guts, but you see him nose-diving into the corner of the ring. When I've heard descriptions of his death, I couldn't imagine how such an accident could happen. It happened very fast, and I don't think he knew the stunt went wrong. At least that is my hope for him. It's so weird because he starts off feet first, and then as he is falling, his position changes to head first. I don't know if it would have made any difference if he fell feet first instead from the height of where he jumped off.

There are lots of clips on YouTube if you search on Owen Hart Death, but the one referenced above is the best one that I could find. I feel horrible for saying it is the best one, because it shows a man falling to his death. The more proper description is it is the saddest, most horrible clip I could find.

From our friends at Wikipedia:

Biography of Owen Hart

I can only assume from the information in Wikipedia that Owen didn't use safety harnesses so it would make for a better show. I find it interesting that Owen Hart was afraid of heights, and that his own wife speculated that by moving around to get comfortable with both the harness and his cape on, Owen unintentionally triggered an early release. I admire her honesty and that she didn't blame anyone else. How horrible to watch your loved one die like that.

What a loss, a 36-year old man loses his life over a stupid stunt. Maybe he felt invincible? If he was pressured or talked into not using the backup safety harness, the person or persons who convinced him to forgo the backup harnesses should be charged with manslaughter at the very least. I don't know how it was decided to not use safety precautions, but I find it hard to believe that someone who was afraid of heights would not want to use backup harnesses.

RIP Owen Hart.
    Last edited by geekygirl; 05-23-2008 at 09:04 PM.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

Jack Raines Guest
    It's hard to believe its been 9 years, he was one of my favorite wrestlers. His feud with his brother Bret in 1994 was one of the best I've ever seen.

Sadly, I still remember some of the idiots I went to high school with saying shit like "finally the nugget got flushed" and "he was always such a whiny little bitch" the day after he died.

Here's the footage that was playing when Owen fell (its a pre-recorded interview he did as the Blue Blazer) and then Jim Ross announces the accident Owen had:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jUe6UZWVqE

Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post
    For your viewing pleasure, courtesy of our friends at YouTube:

Owen Hart Fall

That's not Owen, its a wrestler named Vic Grimes being thrown off the scaffold by New Jack during a scaffold match in a now-defunct company called XPW.

New Jack later revealed in an interview that he was really trying to kill Vic because Grimes had accidently injured him during a match in ECW which led to the partial loss of New Jack's vision and other injuries.
    Last edited by Jack Raines; 05-23-2008 at 10:17 PM.

Guest Guest
    I reiterate there is NO video out there of the fall. What Jack posted was/is the only real account of the live PPV happenings. Don't believe everything you read/see on Youtube people.........geez

**Jenna** Guest
    It sounds strange to hear them say the wwf,why did it change from that to wwe?

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by laynestaleyfan View Post
    It sounds strange to hear them say the wwf,why did it change from that to wwe?
    They were sued by the World Wildlife Fund for using the WWF. Since the wildlife people had been in existence longer the WWE had no dog in the fight.

**Jenna** Guest
    I have never heard of the World Wildlife Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by biguncfan View Post
    They were sued by the World Wildlife Fund for using the WWF. Since the wildlife people had been in existence longer the WWE had no dog in the fight.
    Interesting, didn't know that. Thanks for the info. Actually, they should have kept WWF, because I can't think of any wildlife wilder than wrestlers!
    Any day above ground is a good day.

**Jenna** Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post
    Interesting, didn't know that. Thanks for the info. Actually, they should have kept WWF, because I can't think of any wildlife wilder than wrestlers!
    LOL

RocketQueen Guest
    Never herd of wwf? They send me address labels all the time.

And yes I was watching ppv, as embarassed as I am to publicly admit it.
    They did not show what happened but you could see the crowd, and everyone looked spooked. The announcers kept saying this is not part of the script, there has been a terrible accident.

**Jenna** Guest
    I use to watch wrestling ppv and was obssessed with wrestling,not so much anymore.But I do still like Edge and Triple H.

mel306 Guest
    Pictures video

The first video is labeled Owen Hart but this has him at a much different starting place. So either the first one is not him or this one isn't. But they are both labeled him.

Let me do a bumpie since we seem to be really discussing him in the dead wrestlers thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Nali Guest

Owen Hart Infamous Photos

Greetings All,
    Came across this website "dedicated" to the Owen Hart tragedy. Lots of information there including; "the" photos with play-by-play, newspaper front page headlines, and buddy's ticket stubs.

About this page....

I decided to post these pictures and related materials for a reason. It was not to disrespect Owen Hart's memory, his family, or his many fans worldwide. I posted them as a historical record of a life altering event, a business changing event that took place, that I happened to be in attendance for and witnessed.

I took this picture just seconds before Owen Hart fell. I have circled where the curtain is that he is standing behind. You can see on the screen they are still showing a clip of Owen hart talking with Kevin Kelly from an earlier interview. That video was also playing on the Titan Tron.

Just after I took the last picture Owen Hart fell to the ring. These are immediately after he fell out of the rigging when he stepped off the catwalk and fell. His head and legs hit the ropes right by the turnbuckle and then he bounced over into that position. At this moment he's been laying there for about 3 or 4 seconds maybe less.
    There's also a very good picture showing the distance Owen fell from the catwalk to the ring. Can't link to it, sorry.

Interestingly, the site's proprietor has this to say concerning photos and video of the infamous incident:

In addition... I do not believe there are any still photographs of Owen falling either. It is possible that some might exist, but I find it unlikely and here is why...

Owen fell a total of 78 feet. He reached a speed of 50 miles per hour. That translates to about 73 feet per second. That means he hit the ring in just over a second. It's not like in the movies where it seems like it takes 20 seconds for someone to fall that far. Since nearly the entire arena was not aware he was even up in the rafters, there is no way for someone to react fast enough to do anything.

THERE IS NO VIDEO OF OWEN FALLING ANYWHERE ON THE INTERNET. IF YOU SAY YOU HAVE SEEN IT, YOU ARE LYING OR MISTAKEN.
    Ouch eh! Thats a little harsh eh? Hope y'all enjoy this, and I did it right! its my first post but, (like so many)I've been lurking around these forums for a few months now. I love this site! If Death is my step-dad, then findadeath is my babysitter eh!

The above photos and quotes copyright: http://homepage.mac.com/knarley/owenhart
    Last edited by Nali; 03-18-2009 at 01:37 PM.

Awesome!!! Thanks for these pics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

guardmom2008 Guest
    Great pics Thanks!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I watched the PPV I think it was Jeff Jarrett who was in the ring crying after Owen's death was announced and he still wrestled his match. Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler were visibly upset too. The Raw show the following night opened with a tribute to Owen.

Nali Guest
    "...Raw from the next night where they did the tribute to Owen."

Quote Originally Posted by Nali View Post

That is a loooong way down.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

simon69 Guest

Unhappy WWF RAW 5-24-99 In memory of Owen Hart

simon69 Guest

I can't believe it was that long ago...

Vintage_Vixen Guest
    It's coming up on the 10th aniversary of Owen's death....what makes his death even more tragic was that he was a very well liked, clean cut & clean living guy who was really a very quiet family man who wrestled for a paycheck to support his family. He apparently did not want to perform the stunt that killed him but was under pressure from Vince McMahon....just finished reading "Broken Harts" by his wife Martha Hart....not a bad read really.

Thinking of him today
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Town Without Pity Guest
    My son used to watch WWF/WWE.....we did watch that PPV....I don't recall actually seeing the entire fall, I think they do just like in racing if they feel something went terribly wrong, the camera, they show everything but the car....I think by the way he fell you could tell it wasn't part of the script, not like that I mean. I felt really bad when this happened...I always liked the Hart Brothers. And I do think Vince was partly to blame as he pushed him to do something he didn't like and felt uncomfortable about it.

Owen was a great wrestler. Some people thinks that Owen was a better wrestler than his brother Bret.
    It was a shock for all thw world of wrestling. I think that the death of Owen and the death of Eddie Guerrero were the more painful deaths in wrestling.
    When God goes to bed every night, he prays to CM Punk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouattara View Post
    Owen was a great wrestler. Some people thinks that Owen was a better wrestler than his brother Bret.
    It was a shock for all thw world of wrestling. I think that the death of Owen and the death of Eddie Guerrero were the more painful deaths in wrestling.
    Agreed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forever-27 Guest
    I watched this on pay per View. They didnt show the fall tho. I always remember him in interviews telling " Kids, Drink Your Milk, Eat your Vegetables and Stay in School" , He was a good person.

He was a great wrestler, and a fine human being. The "drink your milk" stuff was actually parodying Hulk Hogan's act from the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRocker View Post
    but he died doing what he loved best.
    From what I've read, at that point in his life, Owen Hart hated wrestling and wanted to quit. He tried a number of times to get out. He was turned down for multiple jobs (including at customs at the us/canada border) and had to keep wrestling to pay off the house he was building. Once it was paid off, he would be done with wrestling. He hadn't watched his matches for years and hated talking about wrestling at home or when he was at the Hart house. I recommend you read his wifes book. Great read.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRocker View Post
    bret hart continued to wrestle after his brother died, he didnt want the show to end
    I'm a bit confused. I don't understand how the fact that he didn't retire somehow support him wanting the show to go on. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong.

IIRC, on Off The Record, Bret said it was disgusting that they didn't stop the show and suggested that if it was Shane or Stephanie that splattered all over the ring, Vince would have stopped the show.
    "Death has come to your little town, Sheriff." -Dr. Loomis

WestAussie Guest
    Are the photo's that were on here still avalible on the net?

Quote Originally Posted by WestAussie View Post
    Are the photo's that were on here still avalible on the net?
    Which ones in particular?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I will post a few. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	owen_accident.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	43526Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x350.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	43527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Owen_Hart_Death.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	43528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hartowen.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	43529Click image for larger version. 

Name:	undertaker_owenfuneral.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	43530

Interesting video here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6wXJ...eature=related

Ok am I crazy, but at 2:12 does anyone else hear a bang followed by cheers?
    Last edited by Miho; 09-13-2012 at 10:55 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    I will post a few. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	owen_accident.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	43526Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x350.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	43527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Owen_Hart_Death.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	43528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hartowen.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	43529Click image for larger version. 

Name:	undertaker_owenfuneral.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	43530

I couldn't hear it, but maybe that's just me.

WestAussie Guest
    Are they similar photo's to what Nali had posted??

Thanks

rjbrasher Guest
    I didn't hear anything either.

YuukaK Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post

There may have been. At the time everyone thought it was part of the show. It took JR saying that this was not what was supposed to happen for a lot of people to go "Oh shit, something's not right here."

Yeah it's weird. I had to block out all the music and the talking and focus on the background. I know the crowd cheered after he fell because they thought it was part of the act. I could swear I heard a thud before the cheer... IDK..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Miho; 09-14-2012 at 07:42 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by WestAussie View Post
    Are they similar photo's to what Nali had posted??

Thanks
    Yes. They should be the same ones. There are only a few that have been circulated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I find it particularly sad that the fans are still acting like fools and holding up stupid signs, even as JR makes the announcement of Owen's death.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenivere2011 View Post
    I find it particularly sad that the fans are still acting like fools and holding up stupid signs, even as JR makes the announcement of Owen's death.
    I don't think they knew at the time. TV audience found out first. I don't think they did an official announcement to the crowd.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]