Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Badfinger

Danny62 Guest

Badfinger

You probably remember this group with the hit "come and get it." Sounded like the Beatles...

Paul McCartney discovered this band.

Two of the three members commited suicide by hanging:

Pete Ham Guitar vocalist and songwriter-Hung himself in his garage in 1975. His manager Stan Polley was ripping the group off! His suicide note said-"Anne, I love you. Blair, I love you. I will not be allowed to love and trust everybody. This is better. Pete. P.S. Stan Polley is a soulless bastard. I will take him with me."

Tom Evans bass player-Hung himself in his backyard in 1983.

Mike Gibbins Drummer-died in his sleep in 2005.

ScottyMonger Guest
    Actually, Badfinger started out as the Iveys, and had some success in England before they signed with Apple Records and changed their name to Badfinger. McCartney didn't discover them but he did give them a break when he gave them the song "Come and get it". McCartney was suppossed to record that song for the movie "The Magic Christian", which starred Ringo and Peter Sellers, but had to bow out because he was busy with other projects. He recommended Badfinger to perform the song. They ended up recording several songs for the soundtrack.

Both McCartney and Harrison produced records for Badfiner, and any Harrision fan can recognize his guitar work on "Day after Day".

The only surviving original Badfinger member is Joey Molland, who has lived in the States for some time, and continues to perform.

Here is a link:
    http://badfingerlinks.bravepages.com/index.html

mrsjorgy Guest
    "No matter what" was their most memorable hit for me

different kind of girl Guest
    Edited 3 time. Talked to my hubby and he says he doesn't really care.

My husband was friends with Mike Gibbins and his band (FBM) used to practice at Gibbin's house often. My husband is not only a musician, he's a funeral director/embalmer too. (gotta make a living!)

Long story short, my husband embalmed Mike Gibbins.
    Last edited by different kind of girl; 10-15-2007 at 04:27 PM.

blair Guest
    Is there a musician or band who ever had a hit record that wasn't ripped off by a manager or record company? Good thing they all didn't hang themselves.

Kinda candy ass if you ask me.

They made some good records...they served a purpose--Beatles lite in the aftermath of the fab's breakup.

stephenmiller Guest
    Their story is so sad it makes you want to cry.
    What did Stan Polley do to the band financially or at the very least screw them financially?

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenmiller View Post
    Their story is so sad it makes you want to cry.
    What did Stan Polley do to the band financially or at the very least screw them financially?
    He was stealing the bands royalties. Petes daughter was born one month after his death.

Most of Polley's artist-clients also accused him of corruption, and Polley much later pleaded no contest to unrelated embezzlement and money laundering charges.

stephenmiller Guest
    I wonder how Polley ever got away with that and how/why Badfinger hired him as their business manager.... They must have been too young and naive to understand the business back then.
    Always read the fine print in your music contracts!

Bellfire Guest
    I still don't understand why two of the band members commited suicide over the one manager stealing the money. Why couldn't they just sue him?

They sold millions of records and their deal was so bad some of them were on public assistance...it was the ultimate case of a manager ripping off the artist.

From Wikipedia:

The lawsuit launched by Warner Bros.' publishing division against Badfinger Enterprises, Inc. in December 1974 would work its way through California courts until 1979. At issue was the disappearance of US $100,000 in a publishing escrow account which Polley had access to. When Warner Bros. inquired as to the money's whereabouts, during a several month period, Polley reportedly never responded. As a result of this legal fray, Wish You Were Here and all other Badfinger releases by Warner Bros. were stopped and shelved in early 1975. Coupled with the termination of Badfinger's Apple contracts, there soon was no Badfinger product available on record store shelves anywhere.
    From the beginning of Badfinger Enterprises, Inc., the contract Polley had with the band stated that most recording and publishing royalties would go to a holding company that was controlled by Polley. This led to a salary arrangement for the group, of which they complained was sorely inadequate compared to their gross earnings. Shortly after the WB lawsuit was filed, Polley reportedly discontinued sending the band members their salaries.

[edit] Death and decline

Badfinger spent the early months of 1975 trying to find a way to earn a living. Jackson said that touring agents and record labels were routinely turning them away because of their restrictive contract with Polley. Ham tried many times to contact Polley by telephone during these months but was never able to reach him. Without being able to secure new work and without salary checks coming in from Polley, the money situation became bleak for the band.
    Last edited by jimpuck19; 10-15-2007 at 05:29 PM.

Bellfire Guest
    Bill Joel's manager did the same thing. His manager stole 90 million dollars. That's rotten but I guess some people huh?

Here is the irony: the crook is still alive and living in Cal....

Stan Polley

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    Stanley H. Polley (1922- ) is a retired American music entrepreneur who managed the business ventures of several musicians. He clients were mostly American artists, including Al Kooper and Lou Christie, but Polley is mostly known for his alleged mismanagement of the British band Badfinger.
    Polley reportedly began his managerial career in New York's garment industry. He began artist management after he met Christie in the mid 1960s. Although Badfinger had a personal UK manager, they did not believe he was capable of properly conducting business in America. With Badfinger's success in 1970 with the single "Come And Get It," the group was pressured to seek professional business management. Polley represented many artists by 1970 and had experience in arranging large U.S. tours for clients.
    Polley set up a New York-based business on behalf of Badfinger called Badfinger Enterprises, Incorporated. The revenues from the band's recording and touring efforts were funneled into this business, presumably for reinvestment. The band members were paid a salary, rather than receiving immediate income from contract advances and tours.
    Beginning in 1971, and reported in the New York Times, a Senate Investigation Committee conducted hearings on an accusation that New York State Supreme Court Justice Mitchell D. Schweitzer had accepted a bribe in 1955. According to Judicial Court Counsel Lawrence E. Walsh's 1971 charges, convicted stock manipulator Michael Raymond (also suspected in at least five murders), paid Polley $25,000 to "exert improper influence on Justice Schweitzer." The charges did not say that the Justice ever received any of that money but that he conspired with Polley and Raymond to obtain a lenient sentence. In July 1971 Michael Raymond told a U.S. Senate subcommitee that Polley was "well connected with organized crime."
    Justice Schweitzer was charged with misconduct but retired before the investigation was completed. Polley was not charged with a crime. The incident had taken place 15 years earlier. (The state's statute of limitations put a 2 year limit on the prosecution of such offenses.) However, many of Polley's clients (excluding Badfinger) said they became aware of his background due to the publicity.
    In 1973, Polley negotiated a new record contract with Warner Brothers for Badfinger, which called for advances to be paid into an escrow account. Approximately $100,000 in publishing escrow funds from Warner's publishing division disappeared after Polley gained access to the account. Reportedly, after several months of unsuccessful attempts to contact Polley about the funds, Warner Brothers filed suit against Badfinger Enterprises for breach of contract.
    The legal morass crippled Badfinger financially. Band leader Pete Ham committed suicide in 1975, leaving behind a note that blamed Polley for his death. Two Badfinger songs, "Hey, Mr. Manager" and "Rock & Roll Contract," are reportedly about Polley.
    In the late 1980s, Polley pleaded no contest to charges of misappropriating funds and money laundering in Riverside County, California. Aeronautics engineer Peter Brock accused Polley of swindling him for US$250,000 after the two set up a corporation to manufacture airplane engines. In 1991, Polley was placed on five-years probation and ordered by the court to return all missing funds to Brock, although the complainant said the restitution never materialized.
    In 2006, artifacts pertaining to Badfinger's business dealings began showing up on eBay auctions, including contracts between the band and Polley, letters written to Polley by Badfinger's business associates, and canceled checks signed by the band members for Badfinger Enterprises, Inc. It is unknown (albeit suspected) that these possessions are being submitted by Polley.
    Stan Polley currently lives in the Palm Desert area of California.

susalu Guest
    Love this band... They kicked ass... A real shame... But once again, the ever popular torture artist affect takes another victim...

Susan

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by different kind of girl View Post
    Edited 3 time. Talked to my hubby and he says he doesn't really care.

My husband was friends with Mike Gibbins and his band (FBM) used to practice at Gibbin's house often. My husband is not only a musician, he's a funeral director/embalmer too. (gotta make a living!)

Long story short, my husband embalmed Mike Gibbins.
    Okay so what did he die of? I know he died in his sleep.

Man musician and embalmer...Cool!!!

I bet it was difficult to embalm a friend!!?? I think that would be hard?

different kind of girl Guest
    My husband can't go into any details of how he died, etc. so I can't say. I think that all has to stay private.

But he did tell me it was VERY odd to embalm a friend, he's done a few. I do know that he didn't even realize it was Mike Gibbins until he started cleaning him. He did a double take and read the ankle tag again and saw Michael G. At first he just read Gibbins and he didn't make the connection.

That was in Orlando, over a year ago.

Nik Guest
    Almost positive Lennon-Mccartney wrote "Come and get it".

record business nearly makes the movie business look benign.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    I think Paul is the credited writer...the song is supposedly about the messed up financial situation with Apple Records.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    I just pulled out the CD "The Best of Badfinger" and yes McCartney wrote it. For years I thought it was the Beatles that were singing it!

I would put the album "Straight Up" in my top 50 all time...not a bad cut on it...this story is so tragic...these guys would have been superstars.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jimpuck19 View Post
    I would put the album "Straight Up" in my top 50 all time...not a bad cut on it...this story is so tragic...these guys would have been superstars.
    Have you heard the song "Dennis"? I swear its almost a time warp to the kind of music they play on the radio today!? The first part especially!!!

I mean it reminds me of the stuff my daughters listen to?

I have been listening to "The Best of Badfinger" alot lately!!!!

Yes...Dennis is a great song, not as poppy as some...I love the song "Perfection" which for some reason they did not put on the greatest hits...I would say one of the best cuts from Straight Up.

My band was playing in some club just off I-80 in NW Pennsylvania one night in the late 80's and Badfinger's tour bus pulled up out front and a couple of them came in. They invited us to see the bus (forget where they were headed - Cleveland?) and were all very cool and friendly. The only one I recognized was Joey Mullins and he was the nicest guy. They actually heard us play "Baby Blue" and said we did a great job, didn't have any kind of rock star attitude at all, just regular guys. Sorry to hear they went through such horrible shit with management.

Just bought a book from Amazon because of this thread...absolutely fascinating...makes a semi-villain out of guitarist Joey Molland and his wife...who are still living in Minnesota.

The real villain of the story is thief-manager Stan Polley, who stole most of the bands money...Pete Ham, who wrote most of the hits...called him out in his suicide note...most music industry scams at least give something to the artist...these guys were on Apple Records sold millions of records...Ham and Tom Evans (the other suicide) wrote "Without You", one of the most recorded songs in popular music...and both died dead broke...Ham had his bank account overdrawn...and lived a modest life.

Amazing that the good guys are dead of their own hand and the others are all good standing residents of the good ole US of A...how can these people sleep at night?

[SIZE=3]Without You : The Tragic Story of Badfinger (with 72 minute cd) (Paperback)[/SIZE]
    by Dan Matovina (Author)

One of the best music industry books I have ever read...
    Last edited by jimpuck19; 10-26-2007 at 09:45 AM.

hollywoodsaint Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMonger View Post

Both McCartney and Harrison produced records for Badfiner, and any Harrision fan can recognize his guitar work on "Day after Day".

Man, "Day After Day" has got to be one of the best songs in Rock history. So beautiful and haunting:

"I remember finding out about you
    Everyday my mind is all around you
    Looking out from my lonely room day after day
    Bring it home baby make it soon
    I give my love to you"

Here's a great site that talks about the background and history of various songs:

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1620

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jimpuck19 View Post
    Just bought a book from Amazon because of this thread...absolutely fascinating...makes a semi-villain out of guitarist Joey Molland and his wife...who are still living in Minnesota.

The real villain of the story is thief-manager Stan Polley, who stole most of the bands money...Pete Ham, who wrote most of the hits...called him out in his suicide note...most music industry scams at least give something to the artist...these guys were on Apple Records sold millions of records...Ham and Tom Evans (the other suicide) wrote "Without You", one of the most recorded songs in popular music...and both died dead broke...Ham had his bank account overdrawn...and lived a modest life.

Amazing that the good guys are dead of their own hand and the others are all good standing residents of the good ole US of A...how can these people sleep at night?

[SIZE=3]Without You : The Tragic Story of Badfinger (with 72 minute cd) (Paperback)[/SIZE]
    by Dan Matovina (Author)

One of the best music industry books I have ever read...
    Thanks for the info! I am going to get a copy! No doubt these guys produced some great music...to bad what happened!!!

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Baby Blue is one of the BEST songs ever recorded. EVER!!!! great band...sad story.

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnitelamp View Post
    record business nearly makes the movie business look benign.
    It's far worse. Far. Worse. It would take months to post sh*t I've witnessed just personally, much less what I know.

Don't get me wrong, there are good people in the business too. But there's some demons walking around in skin suits as well.

Industry rule number four thousand and eighty,
    record company people are shadyyyyy ..
    So kids watch your back 'cause I think they smoke crack,
    I don't doubt it. Look at how they act.

Tribe Called Quest, "Check the Rhime."

Word.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Thanks for the info! I am going to get a copy! No doubt these guys produced some great music...to bad what happened!!!
    Good luck, Danny...the book is out of print and they were around $ 75.00...but well worth it, IMO.

scarletfever1971 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodsaint View Post
    Man, "Day After Day" has got to be one of the best songs in Rock history. So beautiful and haunting:

"I remember finding out about you
    Everyday my mind is all around you
    Looking out from my lonely room day after day
    Bring it home baby make it soon
    I give my love to you"

Here's a great site that talks about the background and history of various songs:

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1620
    There was a time when I was completely obsessed with this song, listening to it over and over. When I think of Badfinger, this song instantly comes to mind. Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    Baby Blue is one of the BEST songs ever recorded. EVER!!!! great band...sad story.
    Agree...one of my top 10...

Danny62 Guest
    I love Day after Day...check out the Very best of Badfinger...the more I listen the more I discover some great songs!!!!!

hollywoodsaint Guest
    I love Day after Day...check out the Very best of Badfinger...the more I listen the more I discover some great songs!!!!!
    I'm waiting for Badfinger to come to iTunes. I don't like downloading from other sites b/c of viruses and stuff. Apparently the Beatles' record label (Apple- also Badfinger's label) and Apple computers just had a settlement, so we should be able to download all the BF and Fab Four tunes by the end of the year. In the meantime I might have to just go out and buy the CD!

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodsaint View Post
    I'm waiting for Badfinger to come to iTunes. I don't like downloading from other sites b/c of viruses and stuff. Apparently the Beatles' record label (Apple- also Badfinger's label) and Apple computers just had a settlement, so we should be able to download all the BF and Fab Four tunes by the end of the year. In the meantime I might have to just go out and buy the CD!
    Worth every penny. I Got the CD on my lap if you want a track listing??

Its like everytime I hear it I discover a little gem thats like...that is a good fucking song!!!

Hell here it is:

1. No Matter What
    2. Day after Day
    3. Baby Blue
    4. Name of the game
    5. Maybe tomorrow
    6.Come and get it
    7.Rock of all ages
    8. Carry on till tomorrow
    9. Midnight caller
    10. We're for the dark
    11.I'll be the one
    12. Without you
    13. I'd die babe
    14. It's over
    15. When I say
    16. Dennis
    17. Lonely you
    18. Love time
    19. Meanwhile back at the ranch/should I smoke
    Last edited by Danny62; 10-29-2007 at 08:31 PM.

hollywoodsaint Guest
    Worth every penny. I Got the CD on my lap if you want a track listing??

Its like everytime I hear it I discover a little gem thats like...that is a good fucking song!!!

Hell here it is:

1. No Matter What
    2. Day after Day
    3. Baby Blue
    4. Name of the game
    5. Maybe tomorrow
    6.Come and get it
    7.Rock of all ages
    8. Carry on till tomorrow
    9. Midnight caller
    10. We're for the dark
    11.I'll be the one
    12. Without you
    13. I'd die babe
    14. It's over
    15. When I say
    16. Dennis
    17. Lonely you
    18. Love time
    19. Meanwhile back at the ranch/should I smoke

Cool, thanks- Yeah, I love when I get a CD for one song and wind up finding others I like. I gotta imagine that since these guys were discovered/produced by the Beatles- there have got to be some really good songs on there.

There is a great song written by Joey Molland called "Suitcase" that was not included in that, and the previously mentioned Pete Ham gem "Perfection." What is great about that CD is all of those songs were remastered and sound really good. GREAT CD!

I just recently discovered these guys and the story really had an impact on me. It's sad to know they were responsible for such a beautiful song "Day After Day" and they never got to be the band they deserved to be. It's unfortunate Pete and Tom saw no other way out... I'm almost sure that had they stuck it out they would have eventually made a come-back.

I agree with Jason about the come back.

Day After Day was my favorite; I used to listen to over and over again.

lisalouver Guest
    Day after Day is classic. What a song.

I went to a wedding a few years back where the band was the Badfinger guy that lives here in Minnesota. Matter of fact, I think he lives in Shoreview which is a suburb of Saint Paul here.

Anyway, they sounded great. He was a friend of the grooms father, I think.

About 20 years ago, when I was 19 and just was heading into the Navy, I worked with this guy who had a band and they used to cover Badfinger. Oh, I used to love to listen to them, he sounded a lot like them.

Edited to say I just found the myspace page and Joey lists living in Excelsior which is a suburb of Mpls. Anyone know why he picked here to live?
    Last edited by lisalouver; 02-04-2008 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I agree with Jason about the come back.

Day After Day was my favorite; I used to listen to over and over again.
    I am currently listening to it over and over again!

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post

I went to a wedding a few years back where the band was the Badfinger guy that lives here in Minnesota. Matter of fact, I think he lives in Shoreview which is a suburb of Saint Paul here.

About 20 years ago, when I was 19 and just was heading into the Navy, I worked with this guy who had a band and they used to cover Badfinger. Oh, I used to love to listen to them, he sounded a lot like them.

Edited to say I just found the myspace page and Joey lists living in Excelsior which is a suburb of Mpls. Anyone know why he picked here to live?
    I was trying to find DAY AFTER DAY on itunes and to no luck... I did find a re-recorded version of it (BARF!!!!) that was recorded after Pete died. I guess the record company owns the rights and won't let iTunes have it? this same thing happened with STYX with "Lady" and STYX just re-recorded it... but in that case it actually sounded better. Day after day can't be replicated, between the slide guitar from George Harrison, Pete's vocals and the overall mood of it... it's a classic for that reason.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jason8478 View Post
    I am currently listening to it over and over again!

I was trying to find DAY AFTER DAY on itunes and to no luck... I did find a re-recorded version of it (BARF!!!!) that was recorded after Pete died. I guess the record company owns the rights and won't let iTunes have it? this same thing happened with STYX with "Lady" and STYX just re-recorded it... but in that case it actually sounded better. Day after day can't be replicated, between the slide guitar from George Harrison, Pete's vocals and the overall mood of it... it's a classic for that reason.

I know what you mean about itunes and the Styx classics. I am probably Styx's biggest fan (not to go OT) but anyway, do you download on limewire? Do they have day after day on there?

ScottyMonger Guest

Joey Molland married his wife Kathy back in the early 70's. She is from that area, and they have lived there for most of their married life. They had to live in her parents house during the hard times. They lived in LA for awhile when Joey was in the band Natural Gas, after he quit Badfinger in 1974.

NOVSTORM Guest

I have no idea why he [picked that frozen state of MN to live in but Excelsior is a very nice area and there are many beautiful homes there.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    I have no idea why he [picked that frozen state of MN to live in but Excelsior is a very nice area and there are many beautiful homes there.
    It is. Now I heard that he lives in Minnetonka which is a neighboring suburb.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMonger View Post
    Joey Molland married his wife Kathy back in the early 70's. She is from that area, and they have lived there for most of their married life. They had to live in her parents house during the hard times. They lived in LA for awhile when Joey was in the band Natural Gas, after he quit Badfinger in 1974.
    Thanks for the info. If Kathy was from here, do you know where he met her?

Baby Blue is a great break up song.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

ScottyMonger Guest
    Thanks for the info. If Kathy was from here, do you know where he met her?
    I'm not sure if he met here while on tour in the States, but she was with him in England/Wales during the last 2-3 years he was in Badfinger. They have been married about 35 years now & have 2 grown sons. Joe III is also a musician.

Likewise, Mike Gibbins married & moved to the U.S. (Florida) and had 3 sons who are all musicians and have a band together.

ScottyMonger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Baby Blue is a great break up song.
    Ham wrote the song about a girl he met on tour in the U.S. who was named "Dixie". After the tour, the band went back home and the relationship fizzled.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Baby Blue is one of my favorite songs ever. What a song.

ShellBell Guest
    Oh wow. I love Badfinger, esp Baby Blue and Day After Day. I didn't know much about the band. How sad.