Thread: Brian Epstein

stephenmiller Guest

Brian Epstein

Forty years ago this past August, Brian Epstein was found dead of an accidental overdose. I did not see much of anything about him apart from the occasional mention in the online news and so Brian has been nearly forgotten. We should all thank him for giving the Beatles to the world and for help saving rock and roll.
    Any comments about Brian?

candleinthewind Guest
    Brian Epstein was gay and probably had a crush on John Lennon. A book came out a few years ago that alleged an affair between the two but there is no proof of that. John Lennon always said that their relationship was intense but not sexual.

One of the really silly "Paul is dead" websites says that after Brian Epstein's death he was replaced by Don Knotts for a while. Very silly.

onehunglow Guest
    I think he was killed by the Mob. They wanted control of the Beatles and the millions. After his death they quit touring and in the end. They were also after control of the Stones and Brian Jones was used to send a messsage. All that from a guy on the Tomorrow Show who was hatched out and his voice changed.Where you find Millions a day you find the mob.

lennon allegely told brian when asked what his autobio title should be he said Queer Jew. john also said cellar full of noise should have been Cellar full of boys. fortunately John got nicer with the proper combination of drugs.

Brian gets some footage in Best of the Beatles and makes a Whats My Line? appearence. great marketeer.
    Last edited by midnitelamp; 10-15-2007 at 07:21 AM.

firegilnotguns Guest
    I always thought Brian Epstein would be a good addition to FAD. For some reason I often get his death confused with Kenneth Williams' death.

cachluv Guest
    Who's Kenneth Williams? Why does his death remind you of BE's? How'd he die??

firegilnotguns Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    Who's Kenneth Williams? Why does his death remind you of BE's? How'd he die??
    http://findadeath.com/Deceased/w/ken...thwilliams.htm

There's the accidental overdose in bed in London comparison, but the silly thing that always confuses me about their deaths is that a packet of biscuits was found on Brian Epstein's bed, but, for some reason, I always think it was Kenneth Williams' bed. I know it doesn't really make a difference but I can never remember whose it was until I double check FAD and make sure it wasn't Kenneth Williams'!
    Last edited by firegilnotguns; 10-15-2007 at 06:21 PM.

DeadRinger Guest
    Brian was the driving force behind most of the Merseybeat sound coming out of Liverpool in the early 60s, most famously the Beatles, but also Gerry and The Pacemakers, Billy J Kramer and Cilla Black.

He totally had a crush on John Lennon, and John knew it.

When The Beatles went to Wales to spend time with the Maharishi, Brian got paranoid about being sacked by 'the boys' because he thought he wasn't needed by them any more. He overdosed on barbiturates on August 27, 1967.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Epstein
    Last edited by DeadRinger; 10-16-2007 at 03:53 AM.

cachluv Guest
    Thanks firegilnotguns, as soon as I clicked and saw his face and the words Carry On i knew him. Thanks.

edit: Oh Glory, Scott actually met and put his arm around Barbara Windsor. The Great Peggy Mitchell. Everyone: One time for Peggy----"Get outta mah pub!"
    Last edited by cachluv; 10-16-2007 at 07:59 PM.

Fuck, I miss East Enders

Bring_Out_Yer_Dead Guest
    Scott,
    Your photo with Barbara Windsor made me think about
    Mike Reid who played Frank Butcher on EE.
    He died in July this year at age 67.

My ex-wife and I were big fans on Eastenders
    and watched it on PBS for many, many years.

Speaking of the Beatles, my favorite movie
    related to them is " Backbeat" which deals
    with John and Stu Sutcliffe's friendship.
    Excellent film.

Cheers,
    Doug

alexmack Guest
    One of the really silly "Paul is dead" websites says that after Brian Epstein's death he was replaced by Don Knotts for a while. Very silly.[/quote]

[SIZE=5]As if???[/SIZE]

TNpuck Guest
    While Brian was the driving force that created Beatlemania, his lack of experience eventually hurt the Beatles, especially concerning concerts. While the "primitive" concert setup they had in the early sixties was sufficient, by the time they were playing Shea Stadium the needed better equipment, like more powerful amps, PA, better sound systems etc. They didn't and by most accounts their concerts were woefully lacking by the time they quit touring in 1966.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Michaels View Post
    Fuck, I miss East Enders

you're not missing much at the moment.........

except Peggy has got herself in a lot of debt so interesting to see what happens with that!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TNpuck View Post
    While Brian was the driving force that created Beatlemania, his lack of experience eventually hurt the Beatles, especially concerning concerts. While the "primitive" concert setup they had in the early sixties was sufficient, by the time they were playing Shea Stadium the needed better equipment, like more powerful amps, PA, better sound systems etc. They didn't and by most accounts their concerts were woefully lacking by the time they quit touring in 1966.

i read "somewhere" that he signed away the merchandise rights for about $50,000,and they eventually would have been worth a Billion.

everybody made some bad moves though,mainly because no one knew it would last.

Analyst_Rob Guest

Brother Brian

[SIZE=3]Ummmm,â?¦ I donâ??t know.. McCartney has a boatload of bread..[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]As does Yokoâ?¦[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Definitely not just because of Lindaâ??s familyâ?¦[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]No.. I think Brain was brilliant!!!! But they were forging ground never before discoveredâ?¦[/SIZE]
    Last edited by Analyst_Rob; 11-06-2007 at 09:47 AM.

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenmiller View Post
    Forty years ago this past August, Brian Epstein was found dead of an accidental overdose. I did not see much of anything about him apart from the occasional mention in the online news and so Brian has been nearly forgotten. We should all thank him for giving the Beatles to the world and for help saving rock and roll.
    Any comments about Brian?
    Help saving rock and roll?
    I'm not so sure about that.

Brian was brilliant as a marketeer and presenter ,i suppose.

yoko handled johns' money very wisely.

bill wyman said in stone alone he was getting free strings for endorsements surprisingly late in their career.

paul evidently did'nt have enough cash on hand to keep MJ from buying northern songs.

Brians wiki article specifaly mentions the merchandising gaffe.
    Last edited by midnitelamp; 11-02-2007 at 08:05 PM. Reason: can't buy me,luv

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    Help saving rock and roll?
    I'm not so sure about that.
    Many books about the history of Rock & Roll that have been published over the years point out that the years of 1960 thru January 1964 ( before Beatles..at least in the US ) was a dead period as far as rock went. This was the time when the Singing Nun, Lawrence Welk, Steve Lawrence, Bobby Vinton and Nat King Cole still had top ten hits on the pop charts and songs like "Sukiyaki", "Sugar Shack", "Deep Purple" and "Go Away Little Girl" were actually number one hits !!

Of course one can easily debate that since the Beach Boys, Motown, Lesley Gore, The Ronettes and a number of others were still going strong in those years just before the Beatles landed in America.

Then there was the JFK factor. There are those who still believe to this day that when Kennedy died, America pretty much died too. Many believe had the Beatles never happened, rock would have died out by the mid 60s and it will be back to the days of Mitch Miller, Patti Page, "Your Hit Parade" and all that would have came back..and stayed and we would never had things like Woodstock, The Greatful Dead, Hendrix, and so forth. I disagree with that.

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    Many books about the history of Rock & Roll that have been published over the years point out that the years of 1960 thru January 1964 ( before Beatles..at least in the US ) was a dead period as far as rock went. This was the time when the Singing Nun, Lawrence Welk, Steve Lawrence, Bobby Vinton and Nat King Cole still had top ten hits on the pop charts and songs like "Sukiyaki", "Sugar Shack", "Deep Purple" and "Go Away Little Girl" were actually number one hits !!

Of course one can easily debate that since the Beach Boys, Motown, Lesley Gore, The Ronettes and a number of others were still going strong in those years just before the Beatles landed in America.

Then there was the JFK factor. There are those who still believe to this day that when Kennedy died, America pretty much died too. Many believe had the Beatles never happened, rock would have died out by the mid 60s and it will be back to the days of Mitch Miller, Patti Page, "Your Hit Parade" and all that would have came back..and stayed and we would never had things like Woodstock, The Greatful Dead, Hendrix, and so forth. I disagree with that.
    Pop music is often times cyclical and the early 60's were something of a down time but as far as rock being "doomed" or Epstein saving rock, I really find that doubtful. Somebody or something usually comes along and gets things on track again. Yeah, the Beatles did what they did but I just don't think Epstein saved rock.

TNpuck Guest
    Epstein didn't, the Beatles did.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Michaels View Post
    Fuck, I miss East Enders
    Now that is pretty sad :-( Did you watch neigbours as well?.... please say no...
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Quote Originally Posted by TNpuck View Post
    My understanding is that they could have had the best PA equipment on the planet at the Shea Stadium gig. The fact was that the fans made an incredible noise before the concert, during it and after. The band complained that on stage they could not hear themselves!!! From memory Paul and John thought that it was pointless doing a gig if all that was to be heard was screaming. One of the reasons for quitting touring.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

TNpuck Guest
    That was my point, they COULD have, but didn't. Granted, there were not too many precedents on how to hold a rock concert in that kind of setting, but I don't think they improved their equipment or setup for any other venue either.

jimi hendrix experience first american tour has them getting their instruments and amps off the luggage belts with the rest of the passengers.

ok so i'm an american living in new zealand and i'm hooked on coro street... lol
    pull the string!

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnitelamp View Post
    jimi hendrix experience first american tour has them getting their instruments and amps off the luggage belts with the rest of the passengers.
    What's your point?

28. 11-22-2007, 03:01 AM

i guess i could say something like:

Telephone poles. Because bicycles have no windows.

Or: To confuse dolts like yourself on internet message boards.

But,I won't do any of that.

In this case,and you can make your own interpertation,the point was to contrast the fleet of 53 foot trailers that now carry a bands touring gear ,to a simpler time.

donetodeath Guest

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Bring_Out_Yer_Dead View Post
    Scott,
    Your photo with Barbara Windsor made me think about
    Mike Reid who played Frank Butcher on EE.
    He died in July this year at age 67.

My ex-wife and I were big fans on Eastenders
    and watched it on PBS for many, many years.

Speaking of the Beatles, my favorite movie
    related to them is " Backbeat" which deals
    with John and Stu Sutcliffe's friendship.
    Excellent film.

Cheers,
    Doug
    was frank the big guy with glasses(what was his wife on the shows name again)

zack Guest

Brian Epstein

My guess is all has been said.I understand he was bored with Ayn Rand.

I didn't think I'd find a thread on here about Eppy.My dad knew him well as my dad managed the shop in Liverpool (NEMS ) where Brian and quite a few Liverpool "stars " visited.( I think Eppy owned it)
    When I was a kid I'd go with my dad to NEMS on a Sunday when it was shut.My dad would do the paperwork while I wandered about the shop looking at record covers mainly. It fascinated me that NEMS had the whole ceiling covered in record covers.As far as I know when the shop was sold, the new people put in a lower false ceiling and underneath ,I think, are still all the old covers. The Cavern, where the Beatles used to play ,wasn't far from there.I went there as a teen (the Beatles long gone from playing there then) and it was a dump.The water on the floor soaked into my maxi dress - very fashionable then and I was really unimpressed. Cilla Black and all the other scouse acts would go in, but my dad had a high opinion of Eppy but a low opinion of them.The old NEMS was on Whitechapel in Liverpool ,I think part of the shop is now an erotic lingerie shop.You can buy Beatles souvenirs on Matthew st and see the Eleanor Rigby bench of Pauls song too.

fultondyke Guest
    I have a biography of Epstein entitled "In My Life". Epstein lived a very lonely and sas life. In all likelihood his overdose was not an accident, according to this book. Brian had planned to commit suicide earlier in the summer of 1967...He had written a suicide note to his brother Clive, and when he was about to 'do it', the phone rang with the news that his father had died. Epstein shelved his plan to kill himself that day, and he left London to be at his mother's side. When Epstein did die (about 6 weeks later) someone on his staff found the note he had written earlier.

Yes, I think my dad referred to him as a real gentleman.Very well spoken and well dressed.It's hard to imagine him alongside the rough,foul mouthed lads he was managing at the time.Perhaps that was the challenge? to be accepted and gain some street smarts.Somehow, he got left behind after the stars he discovered moved onto bigger things.Very sad I agree.