Thread: Karen Anne Quinlan

MIZIZVOGUE Guest

Karen Anne Quinlan

Remember her? She's the girl that took a Valium and then drank some alcohol. This mixture put her in a coma and life support--for years!

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    That sad case was one that helped win us the right to pull the plug.

candleinthewind Guest
    She had been on a 48 hour food fast before the party so the drinks and pills hit her hard.

Bake Guest
    I remember this one!!

mommafreak Guest
    yea, me too, I remember this one

I was very young, but I remember when they "pulled the plug" and she lived!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

candleinthewind Guest
    She lived for nine more years after the plug was pulled.

RoRo Guest
    I remember this one..I felt so bad for her family.

BeanBoyGirl Guest
    I am confused

candleinthewind Guest
    'bout what BBG?

BeanBoyGirl Guest
    Who was she?

candleinthewind Guest
    In 1975 she fell into a coma, a persistent vegetative state, after having a few drinks and some valium at a party. It made nationwide news and sparked a debate over whether or not her ventilator should be unplugged. She lived for almost another decade after it was unplugged in 1976.

mommafreak Guest
    Was she an actress?

candleinthewind Guest
    No, she wasn't famous beforehand. She was in the news and sparking debate like Teri Schaivo was though the circumstances are different. This happened in NJ where I am originally from but I know that it was nationwide news.

onehunglow Guest

Gave valium a bad rap

Duh! What part of do mix mix with alcohol do people not get? Mommies little helpers went away after that.

monhol Guest
    this was the case that school used to stress the dangers of drugs and had the article of her overdose in the classroom. my friend lived down the street from her in atlantic highlands when she overdosed. my friend said when they all heard about it they could not believe karen did something like that.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    I remember reading the book about her and she was still alive. Years later, I did an internet search and was stunned to find out she had lived that long afterward.

Kind of a freak thing, she was an itty bitty thing, but she didn't take a huge amount of valium or drink excessively gallons, if I can remember correctly. I also remember that her caregivers used Herbal Essence shampoo on her hair since that was her favorite.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Another interesting coma lady case: Sunny Von Bulow, who is also apparently still alive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunny_von_B%C3%BClow

lisalouver Guest
    I remember Karen.

Everyone was surprised when she lived so many years after being taken off life support.

Sunny Von Bulow, I have thought about her for the past few years and there is no record of where she is or that she has died or lived. The rumor is that she is alive and at Columbia University Hospital in NY in some private area, but no one seems to know for sure.

I remember when he went to trial and Alexandra Isles had to testify. She was his mistress and an actress on the soap opera Dark Shadows.

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    I remember Karen.

Everyone was surprised when she lived so many years after being taken off life support.

Sunny Von Bulow, I have thought about her for the past few years and there is no record of where she is or that she has died or lived. The rumor is that she is alive and at Columbia University Hospital in NY in some private area, but no one seems to know for sure.

I remember when he went to trial and Alexandra Isles had to testify. She was his mistress and an actress on the soap opera Dark Shadows.
    Claus Von Bulow is a snake. He will get his in the end, or is he dead already? I am sure that he is guilty, I do not care what anyone says!

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Radiohead View Post
    Claus Von Bulow is a snake. He will get his in the end, or is he dead already? I am sure that he is guilty, I do not care what anyone says!
    As a matter of fact, he is still alive. Lives in London.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Dominick Dunne is doing an episode on Power Privelege and Justice about the von Bulow case next Friday on that wretched truTv.

Can't wait to see his take on it.

Elizabeth Guest

Karen Anne

When I was in school I was so not into hearing about this case, because people always asked me about it, b/c that was my last name too (and no, not related)....

Now, I am older, and it is so not always about me (well, usually) and what a sad story it was....

ktkatinmn Guest
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Ann_Quinlan

I guess - thank god for this case, if this is the case that set precidence for family being able to pull the plug. I have told my family I DO NOT want to live if there is no life to be had. They should not have to pay for care that is nothing but the machines keeping me 'alive'.

Quote Originally Posted by ktkatinmn View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Ann_Quinlan

I guess - thank god for this case, if this is the case that set precidence for family being able to pull the plug. I have told my family I DO NOT want to live if there is no life to be had. They should not have to pay for care that is nothing but the machines keeping me 'alive'.
    Very well said, I so agree.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    Very well said, I so agree.

This obituary from 1985 gives a good overview of Karen's situation.
    http://www.nytimes.com/1985/06/12/ny...pagewanted=all

I have wondered for years why almost the only photo ever published was that high school portrait with that solemn, distant expression. Indeed, it's the only one that comes up in a Google search, sometimes mixed up with those of Teri Schiavo.

I also have wondered what her biological mother thought about all this-- Karen's birth identity was publicly outed during her lifetime. Indeed, I recall Karen had planned to meet the woman at some point. There was SOME problem with the parents who raised her and perhaps the siblings born to them after her adoption, it seems clear, well beyond the then-current "generation gap" theory spouted by Monsignor Trapasso.

Findagrave: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...r&GRid=6497327

Joseph Quinlan died 20 years ago, but Julia soldiers on, having helped to found a hospice and bereavement center named after Karen and her late husband, respectively. She just received an award for her efforts.

http://www.njherald.com/article/2016...CLE/305089959#

I was in high school while this was going on and remember it well. I also seem to remember a made for TV movie about it that starred Brian Keith.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

I was a freshman in collage back when it happened. I don't remember if I heard about it right off (we weren't allow TV and I didn't get into radio until 1983 ). I may have read about later in Reader's Digest, which was where I first heard about Bundy and the Boy in the Box.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

navallint Guest
    I was a junior in highschool, all the kids were talking about it in my psychology class and we did a paper on what we would want in the same situation. I would want to be released from my earthly body.

Quote Originally Posted by navallint View Post
    I was a junior in highschool, all the kids were talking about it in my psychology class and we did a paper on what we would want in the same situation. I would want to be released from my earthly body.
    Me too. When I was facing cardiac bypass surgery I told Brittany that, just in case, I did not want to be kept breathing on life support.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I was in high school in 1985 when she died but I had heard of the case before that. My mom was in college for respiratory therapy in the late 70's/early 80's and I remember her and I discussing this case.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]