Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: William Frawley, aka Fred Mertz

Fred always showed his soft side when it came to Little Ricky.
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Nelliebean Guest
    I could never get over the "pants up to the armpits" look that Fred loved so much.

You could make two more pair of pants with that material.

Today marks the 45th Anniversary of Bill Frawley's death. Actress Alice Pearce [Gladys Kravitz #1 Bewitched]also died the same day as Frawley March 3, 1966. Fred Mertz and Gladys Kravitz died the same day. kind of like Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson passing away on the same day. except Frawley and Pearce's passing probably didn't get as much publicity.
    Last edited by ROBERT63; 03-03-2011 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT63 View Post
    kind of like Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson passing away on the same day. except Frawley and Pearce's passing probably didn't get as much publicity.

Desi took out a full page in Variety that featured a picture of Frawley, the date of his birth and death, and the words "Buenos Noches, Amigo."

Desi was, in most departments, a class act.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    I could never get over the "pants up to the armpits" look that Fred loved so much.

You could make two more pair of pants with that material.
    Those pants are just as much a classic as the show itself. He almost wore the belt around his neck. <L> Frawley was great on the vaudeville song and dance numbers, too.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Does anyone remember Frawley as "Bub", the grandfather in the early years of MY THREE SONS? I thought it was a bit of a stretch that a man who clearly in real life was debilitated at this time from alcoholism, play the housekeeper and kept the Douglas home neat as a pin, doing the laundry and provided tasty, wholesome meals three times a day. I remember being fascinated by him while watching TV Land run the old MTS shows in the late 80's and I was able to see him decline rapidly as the episodes progressed. There was one episode where he sat in a chair for all of his scenes. I remember his last episode where he decides to move to Ireland and his brother Charley stops by the Douglas home to see him after Bub had left, and moves right in. In this episode you don't see Frawley walk. He is carried from the house to the car like a hero in a ball game.

When Louis Mayer asked Frawley to his office to discuss future employment with MGM, he exclaimed to Frawley, "You have no hair!" To which Frawley said, "If you wanted hair, hire a lion!"
    Last edited by MagnusDippytack; 03-03-2011 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Spelling I should have caught the first time around
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

Quote Originally Posted by Ludigan View Post
    Desi took out a full page in Variety that featured a picture of Frawley, the date of his birth and death, and the words "Buenos Noches, Amigo."

Desi was, in most departments, a class act.
    I agree always loved Desi as far as his contribution to televison which sometimes he gets very little credit.

I remember reading years ago about his first meeting with Frawley to discuss his role in I Love Lucy. Desi said that Frawley kept calling him "Dizzy".
    Cindy

Ruls Guest
    For what it's worth, one of the corporate managers at my job was a heavy drinker; you could tell when he needed a drink cause his hands shook pretty badly.

crazedfemale Guest
    I love ILL, I have been a fan all my life. I know that Frawley/Vance didn't get along in real life. I don't care, the chemistry and comedy from that show makes me laugh to this day. I sure hope they are showing I Love Lucy reruns in heaven.

wasn't it also Lucy and Vance that didn't get along as well. I thought I read that somewhere.

the "Operetta" epi was my favorite,too.

in general,i did'nt care much for the show,but i liked desi' singing,even have "The Best of Desi Arnaz" on cd.

i guess everyone could find something to like about the,which contributed to its success.
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

I so enjoyed his movies and TV shows.

But that said, he was a big time racist
    jerk.

Sure he will be missed by someone
    (not sure who)
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

darlingmissmarple Guest
    Fred was the typical grouchy old man. I loved watching him, but wouldn't want to be his wife. I think Fred and Ethel made the show. I would never have watched it for Lucy and Desi. I never cared for Lucy that much. This show was another case where the supporting cast made the show much more than the "star or stars" i.e. Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, The Andy Griffin Show. The cast members made these worth watching. But that's just me and my tastes

Pat MaGroin Guest

William Frawley Autographs

Here are a couple of Fred Mertz's Autographs...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WilliamFrawley.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	30192   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WilliamFrawley 001.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	297.1 KB 
ID:	30193  

Surfer Joe Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT63 View Post
    Today marks the 45th Anniversary of Bill Frawley's death. Actress Alice Pearce [Gladys Kravitz #1 Bewitched]also died the same day as Frawley March 3, 1966. Fred Mertz and Gladys Kravitz died the same day. kind of like Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson passing away on the same day. except Frawley and Pearce's passing probably didn't get as much publicity.
    I didn't make the scene for a little more than two weeks after Pearce and Frawley left us, but I like to think they were the Farrah and Jacko, respectively, of their times.

I'd imagine that Frawley in particular set off a media blizzard. There was probably twenty-four hour saturation coverage, expert legal and medical analysis, conspiracy theories, some rioting, a few suicides by teenaged Frawley fans, and of course a return to the top of the charts by his only album, Bill Frawley Sings The Old Ones, briefly knocking the Beatles out of the number one position.

Pat MaGroin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfer Joe View Post
    I didn't make the scene for a little more than two weeks after Pearce and Frawley left us, but I like to think they were the Farrah and Jacko, respectively, of their times.

I'd imagine that Frawley in particular set off a media blizzard. There was probably twenty-four hour saturation coverage, expert legal and medical analysis, conspiracy theories, some rioting, a few suicides by teenaged Frawley fans, and of course a return to the top of the charts by his only album, Bill Frawley Sings The Old Ones, briefly knocking the Beatles out of the number one position.

lol, the funny thing is that I am truly interested in hearing this album!

Surfer Joe Guest
    Me too, Pat! An old buddy of mine has it. Not sure if it's ever been available on CD.

Anyone else hear the rumors that he faked his own death to escape the pressures of Frawleymania? Supposed to be a fry cook in Spokane, Washington now, married to a stripper, with fourteen kids. There was also the rumor that he died as the result of CIA experiments to cure baldness.

I'll stop now.

Pat MaGroin Guest
    Hey Surfer Joe - It's on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Frawley-S.../dp/B0048W2G4Y
    I may just order this...

Surfer Joe Guest
    Holy H. Smokes! FrawleyNation would not be denied! Even if it's only on download, and with the wrong cover!

Great find!

Rudy's Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pksgigi View Post
    wasn't it also Lucy and Vance that didn't get along as well. I thought I read that somewhere.
    Lucy very much liked being in control, but her relationship with Viv was similar to siblings in many ways. They would argue they seem to also really care about each other. When Lucy was interviewed on T.V. after Viv died, she would sometimes start to cry as she spoke of Viv.

lucilleball861911 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by EthelMertz View Post
    Lucy very much liked being in control, but her relationship with Viv was similar to siblings in many ways. They would argue they seem to also really care about each other. When Lucy was interviewed on T.V. after Viv died, she would sometimes start to cry as she spoke of Viv.
    That is true. I also think the animosity between William and Viv has been GREATLY exaggerated over the years. from the accounts i have read, they disliked each other... thats about it. they were professionals, and usually avoided each other. people seem to think that they wanted to kill each other all the time.