View Poll Results: Should we change the Anthem for the United States?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • We should keep it Star Spangle Banner

14 70.00%
  • Should be changed to America the Beautiful

5 25.00%
  • Other

1 5.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: National Anthem & Performances

Martini Guest
    I totally remember that! They played the clip for days here on the news.

here's another one:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m9QDqAsAKUI&feature=related

RaRaRamona Guest
    Yeah poor girl they still play it all the time. She should have just laughed it off.

Bigfoot Guest
    Poor girl. Looks like she wasn't happy with commiting one boo-boo, she had to make it well worth the wait with the slip.

Quote Originally Posted by Martini View Post
    I totally remember that! They played the clip for days here on the news.

here's another one:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m9QDqAsAKUI&feature=related

I remember this one - Mo Cheeks is such a good guy!

Mamma Guest
    Aw man! Y'know it would be sweet justice if it turns out this young lady was the stuck-up snobby bitch in high school who acted like her shit didn't stink.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by OCEANLIGHTS View Post
    Poor thing, I would never leave my house again if that were me. Make sure you watch the video to the end. http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...ideoid=9068652
    omg too awful

boy,i had forgoten the carl lewis till sports center criminally ran a clip for grammys.

Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    A-fuckin-MEN. I hate all those silly and unnecessary flourishes and warblings! Our National Anthem brings me to tears every time I hear it sung, although not always because of national pride. Sometimes it's just painful to listen to when some jackass thinks it requires a new "spin" to sound fresh.
    I totally agree. I hate it when they try to bring attention to themselves instead of just singing the song.

TNpuck Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    I did like Jimi Hendrix's version. There was some actual artistry to it.
    I consider his the definitive version.

don't_axe_me Guest
    The best I ever heard live was Robert Guillaume at a Dodgers game about 25 years ago. What a beautiful voice!

Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    I cannot agree with you guys more!! I have season tickets to the Penguins, and some of the people they have sing - UGH!
    You're in for a treat, now that the Penguins/Flyers series is finally getting underway. Actually, you probably already know this, but for those who don't follow the NHL: The Flyers open home games with an anthem that is both odd and somehow creepy at the same time. For many years Kate Smith sang the Star Spangled Banner before home games - and the Flyers began to believe that her version was some sort of good luck charm (they won a couple of Stanley Cups).
    Now that they're back in the playoffs, the Flyers have been playing a video of the late Ms. Smith doing the anthem + a tape of her voice.
    At the same time, a live singer is on the ice doing harmonies with the dead singer. Like I said, kinda creepy...

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    You're in for a treat, now that the Penguins/Flyers series is finally getting underway. Actually, you probably already know this, but for those who don't follow the NHL: The Flyers open home games with an anthem that is both odd and somehow creepy at the same time. For many years Kate Smith sang the Star Spangled Banner before home games - and the Flyers began to believe that her version was some sort of good luck charm (they won a couple of Stanley Cups).
    Now that they're back in the playoffs, the Flyers have been playing a video of the late Ms. Smith doing the anthem + a tape of her voice.
    At the same time, a live singer is on the ice doing harmonies with the dead singer. Like I said, kinda creepy...

I didn't know that!

You guys would not BELIEVE how many people (most of them younger men) TALK through the singing of the anthem at the Pens games. It infuriates me!

Anyway, I'm off to Game 1 tonight, so GO PENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOVSTORM Guest
    I liked Whitney Houstons and FaithHills better than any of them.

Sorry, Flyers fan - love Kate Smith - and it does fire us up! It's actually God Bless America, not the anthem. Go Fly-guys! Me thinks we'll be in for some rough hockey tonight!

I didn't know that!

You guys would not BELIEVE how many people (most of them younger men) TALK through the singing of the anthem at the Pens games. It infuriates me!

Have fun pvezz! You're so lucky!!! We'll be listening for you singing the blues after the game...

Philadelphia had a police officer buried today that was killed in the line of duty - he was a huge Flyers fan - they actually chanted "Let's Go Flyers" at his service, his son asked everyone to...sad. So I think the Flyers will be inspired.

Quote Originally Posted by Philliefan View Post
    Sorry, Flyers fan - love Kate Smith - and it does fire us up! It's actually God Bless America, not the anthem. Go Fly-guys! Me thinks we'll be in for some rough hockey tonight!

Sorry about that - I thought the Star Spangled Banner was the one Kate Smith was singing (also thought it was the US anthem!?!?!). (And you are in for a great series in Pennsylvania - for my money, the 2004/05 gold-medal-winning Canadian World Junior team, a.k.a the Philadelphia Flyers, will take Sidney to school...)

Sorry about that - I thought the Star Spangled Banner was the one Kate Smith was singing (also thought it was the US anthem!?!?!). (And you are in for a great series in Pennsylvania - for my money, the 2004/05 gold-medal-winning Canadian World Junior team, a.k.a the Philadelphia Flyers, will take Sidney to school...)
    No worries, it's kind of our second anthem, if you will. And we so thank our Canadian neighbors for our wonderful hockey players!

This just brings tears to my eyes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmBcLVLeU50&NR=1

sammimom Guest
    No worries, it's kind of our second anthem, if you will. And we so thank our Canadian neighbors for our wonderful hockey players!

This just brings tears to my eyes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmBcLVLeU50&NR=1
    That's the way I sing it, and this one, too, only without the last real high note towards the end.
    http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=LSiRUS...eature=related

Margie

Cathy J. Guest
    What about the playing of the anthem before rock and country concerts? I remember the big stink when Sinad O'Connor refused to sing at one concert because of the anthem.

I always felt that was odd. Of all the shows I have been to over the years not once I remember the National Anthem being played before the concert. Sporting events yes..concerts no.

pvezz Guest
    Have fun pvezz! You're so lucky!!! We'll be listening for you singing the blues after the game...

Philadelphia had a police officer buried today that was killed in the line of duty - he was a huge Flyers fan - they actually chanted "Let's Go Flyers" at his service, his son asked everyone to...sad. So I think the Flyers will be inspired.

Damn, Barb. How sad. We're hockey fans but in the end it's just a game.

I didn't know that!

I'm with you girl! I'm a sappy ass socially progressive kinda fag with no particular political leanings. Even though I have bi-partisan tendencies associated with the extreme I'm still apalled by the lack of national pride. one of my fondest memories and proudest moments was sitting on the patio of a Taco Cabana on Fred road here in SA right after the 911 incident. I was having a picture of margaritas on the patio. Well a small parade of Mexican and Anglo Americans drove by in there pickups American Flags waving beautifully as they drove past. My transexual friend shouted her approval at he top of her lungs! This was the christian hating goth I grew up with! I was so proud to be a Fag-American then. I'm still ultrafag and love America regardless of what our appointed leader has put us through and it shames me that we dont support our country as much as we should. Sorry folks but questioning our leaders does not equal treason. Regardless of what you think of our fucked up shit assed puppet leader/government doesnt mean that we dont love care for and support our troops. In all honesty even though I dont think we are in Iraq for a valid reason I'd rather see a bombes neighborhood than a dead and desecrated American soldier. No offense to anyone just being truthfull!
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by sammimom View Post
    That's the way I sing it, and this one, too, only without the last real high note towards the end.
    http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=LSiRUS...eature=related

Margie
    She does a great job - do you really sing like them??? Lucky you!

Something odd - and perhaps somewhat disrespectful - happened in Dallas last night at the Dallas Stars/Detroit Red Wings game:
    The crowd was very quiet and respectful during the US anthem - but as soon as the singer got to the word "star" in the lyrics, all the Dallas Stars fans screamed in unison "STARS!".
    Never seen anything like that before...turnning the anthem into a cheer?!? Very creative.

sammimom Guest
    She does a great job - do you really sing like them??? Lucky you!
    Yep, and I love doing it.

Something odd - and perhaps somewhat disrespectful - happened in Dallas last night at the Dallas Stars/Detroit Red Wings game:
    The crowd was very quiet and respectful during the US anthem - but as soon as the singer got to the word "star" in the lyrics, all the Dallas Stars fans screamed in unison "STARS!".
    Never seen anything like that before...turnning the anthem into a cheer?!? Very creative.
    The Atlanta Braves do that too...but "brave" is the last word in the anthem so you don't notice it so much. I guess it's disrespectful unless you're a fan...

Pryncis Guest
    I think a lot of people give it their own spin because they can't sing the original version. It's one of the hardest songs to sing, period. I've heard singers change notes because they can't hold it long enough or they "warble" (as I call it) the notes to cover the fact they can't sing it. I sang it at high school tournaments and at my high school graduation. Believe me, people are watching and listening and if you screw it up people will know. To me, the spin famous people put on it is just like putting a band-aid on a leg that's been amputated.

Now, the ONLY "professional" version I have ever liked was Whitney Houston's version. I think it was as close as to how you're supposed to sing it as you can possible get. That songs stands for so much, it's really sad when people screw it up. It's like forgetting the words to the Lord's Prayer or something... IMHO.

**Jenna** Guest
    I was gonna say Roseanne Barr!

mel306 Guest
    My brother learned, when he was in the ROTC, it is technically illegal to sing the national anthem in an odd way or to mess it up, or to be disrespectful. I wonder why that is never carried through after seeing some of these.

Smackman Guest
    I love the USA, and love our National Anthem... But it's got to be one of the hardest songs on the planet to sing. Some people just shouldn't get up in front of a crowd to sing, period... But I'd say that it takes a lot of guts to get up and sing our National Anthem in front of a bunch of people, just on the technical difficulty level of the song.

Of course, the technical difficulty of the song should preclude many from being allowed to get up and sing it in front of anyone, including themselves in front of a mirror.

death hag dee Guest

Should the anthem for the USA be changed?

I dont know some how America the Beautiful is better than the Star Spangled Banner..........Thoughts?

Pryncis Guest
    I think it should stay as the Star Spangled Banner. Personally, I don't like the personal touches some singers feel the need to add to it. It's an extremely difficult song to sing, and if you can't sing it how it's meant to be sung, then you shouldn't sing it! I think making changes to an already beautiful song because you can't hit the notes is disgusting... I sang it at my high school graduation and it was one of the proudest moments of my life!

Ms. K Guest
    No, the anthem should not be changed.

People who are going to sing it in public should learn the damn words, and sing the song the way it is written, though, as opposed to screwing up the words while doing vocal gymnastics.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Reports are Christina is devastated by flubbing the National Anthem.

Note to organizers, could you please select someone who actually knows the words? Fucking debacle.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

endsleigh03 Guest
    She's done the anthem before.

Wonder if she let all those betting pools on how long she could hold that note get to her....

STsFirstmate Guest
    They need to hang it up with the singing and just have a military band play it and people sign along.
    I hate it when they try to do it stylistically like it was show time at the Apollo or when they just don't have the vocal range.
    I was at both of the Superbowls for the Bengals and if my memory serves me right Stevie Wonder tried to sing it at the Detroit Silverdome one.
    His monitors where way off and we were sitting near field level and all you could here was echos. He was so thrown off it was pitiful.
    Very happy with the Packers winning however.
    regards,
    Mary

Bidmor Guest
    Each branch of the military has some sort of chorale. Select one or more members...very befitting. Another source is professional gospel singers, black or white. Most of either have the lungs to belt out our National Anthem as well as hitting the notes spot on to raise goose bumps, especially accompanied by a military band. Something like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBLDiviApCQ

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Note to organizers, could you please select someone who actually knows the words? Fucking debacle.

I just don't understand how the find these people. You don't have a job and you know you are going to be singing in front of millions of people so get off your ass and take some time to practice you waste of oxygen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    I just don't understand how the find these people. You don't have a job and you know you are going to be singing in front of millions of people so get off your ass and take some time to practice you waste of oxygen.
    Yeah! "Star" or not, how about rehearsing? I'd make sure I could sing it backwards and forwards, woken out of a deep sleep, etc. It probably wouldn't take much to distract you or make you choke, given you have millions of eyes on you. it sounded like she got a little lost in there, not only with the wrong lyrics.

I was talking to a friend of mine who is a Choir Director, and we both have pet peeves about people who generally don't have the chops but feel the need to give the Anthem the "Whitney Houston treatment". She mentioned it is easier to cover up a lack of technique by warbling instead of holding the note, on key. It takes more skill to just sing it, without all the "colortura" as she called it, to distract. I'm on the "give it to an unknown with some talent next time" bandwagon. Sorry, Christina fans. I'm not impressed.

Actually, neither singer was that impressive. The diva from "Glee" remained on-key, but she was trying to be too dramatic and wound up sounding like she was yelping during the song. Both women seemed to be bent on trying to 'out-diva' the other and I wonder if the pressure to compete made X-tina flub the lyrics? BTW, I'm not a fan of either performer.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by amaranthaseven View Post
    Yeah! "Star" or not, how about rehearsing? I'd make sure I could sing it backwards and forwards, woken out of a deep sleep, etc. It probably wouldn't take much to distract you or make you choke, given you have millions of eyes on you. it sounded like she got a little lost in there, not only with the wrong lyrics.

I was talking to a friend of mine who is a Choir Director, and we both have pet peeves about people who generally don't have the chops but feel the need to give the Anthem the "Whitney Houston treatment". She mentioned it is easier to cover up a lack of technique by warbling instead of holding the note, on key. It takes more skill to just sing it, without all the "colortura" as she called it, to distract. I'm on the "give it to an unknown with some talent next time" bandwagon. Sorry, Christina fans. I'm not impressed.
    I agree completely with you and your choir director. Houston was the only one I had time to link. No doubt she did "color" it with note warbling but not as much as today's star "singers" of the National Anthem. Your choir director is referring to someone whom I think of as being able to "stand flat footed and sing" i.e. one who can belt out the notes as written in a key well within his or her range and being able to hold those long notes without vibrato nor warbling. There's many "unknown" singers who can do that as well as remember the words.

Quote Originally Posted by death hag dee View Post
    I dont know some how America the Beautiful is better than the Star Spangled Banner..........Thoughts?

Well I prefer "This land is your land"

Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    They need to hang it up with the singing and just have a military band play it and people sign along.
    I hate it when they try to do it stylistically like it was show time at the Apollo or when they just don't have the vocal range.
    I was at both of the Superbowls for the Bengals and if my memory serves me right Stevie Wonder tried to sing it at the Detroit Silverdome one.
    His monitors where way off and we were sitting near field level and all you could here was echos. He was so thrown off it was pitiful.
    Very happy with the Packers winning however.
    regards,
    Mary

That would be excellant. Each year have a diff branch of our military do the job. Their best Band and Honor Guard to display our flag. Show 'em how its done.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

trishsixxm Guest
    I still get chills with Whitney Houston's version it was so beautiful and full of emotions. I just don't get why everyone feels the need to over sing they all have lovely voices but please there's a fine line between a beautiful voice singing our nations anthem and someone screaming it.

a bad rendition from a 11 year old just yesterday

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusive...hem-ever-video

mandee1005 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by trishsixxm View Post
    I still get chills with Whitney Houston's version it was so beautiful and full of emotions. I just don't get why everyone feels the need to over sing they all have lovely voices but please there's a fine line between a beautiful voice singing our nations anthem and someone screaming it.
    Completely agaree about Whitney.

Birthplace of the Rocky Horror Picture Show
    id have to say either Lijepa naša domovino or god defend new zealand are my personal favourites, and i cant listen to the american anthem without giggling after an ex showed me a porn shoot where someone was singing' the anthem into someones butt

i do prefer america the beautiful myself
    I love you and miss you dad, Antun Perdija 27-06-41 - 28-12-00
    RIP Daniel Colvin 5 June 1974 - 7 June 2011, Best Friend, lover, fiancee

RIP David Edgar, 2 Dec 1953 - 10 June 2011, Uncle
    RIP Agnes Steele Edgar, 17 May 1926 - 4 July 2011, Grandmother

Jamie Foxx at the Mayweather fight - not good

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015...?utm_hp_ref=uk

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Jamie Foxx at the Mayweather fight - not good

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015...?utm_hp_ref=uk
    Not even going to touch that link. I've already heard that the whole shabangabang was a turd circus.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.