Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Shadows

onehunglow Guest

Dark Shadows

Great day time tv. I hear they still have meet & greets.

Darrianne Guest
    Yes they do. I am currently renting the series from Netflix and watching. Kinda cheesy now but this scared the CRAP out of me when I was a kid. I also rented some bonus DVDs filmed at some of the meet and greets.

endsleigh03 Guest
    I heard something about this recently...a remake? Or maybe it's being released on dvd...? Either way it was a good show, if really corny.

Darrianne Guest
    They did a new version of the series in 2000,2001 - somewhere along there. I think you can see it now on the Sci Fi channel but not sure if it is still in production. It just wouldn't be the same for me - with new people playing the old characters.

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    I rented the remake on Netflix. It sucked.

There are 2-3 get togethers on DVD.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    I heard something about this recently...a remake? Or maybe it's being released on dvd...? Either way it was a good show, if really corny.
    Ok, I found it. A remake with Johnny Depp, no less. I would def see that.

onehunglow Guest

Dark Shadows Fans: The B is still alive!

Last edited by onehunglow; 11-13-2007 at 06:39 PM.

Kathyf Guest
    great LOL One of my favorite shows.

hoxharding Guest
    I alost read one of the tie-in novels recently written by the actress who played Angelique.
    It has Barnabas and Dr. Julia being married. No doubt it works,but I could not fathom it.

hoxharding Guest
    How about the really early shows? All sorts of bloopers.
    Once saw a fly land on Barnabas's nose and he did the whole scene without flinching.

onehunglow Guest
    What is left of the cast does do the signings. Can't be many left. I was a Count Patoffi fan.The crawling hand.............

12. 11-13-2007, 04:32 PM

Jazbabee Guest
    I loved that show....all playing would stop, and we would pack into the family room of whoevers house we were playing at to watch it !!!!!! I must say whoever built Frids website did him an injustice.......it needs a lot of work !!!!!

onehunglow Guest
    Maybe he is a vampire! My god he is still alive. Most of the cast only made about $450.00 a week as well.

Only soap I ever watched.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

panda Guest
    He looks about 5000 years old too, poor thing. Maybe he really is a vampire!?!?!?!

ONEHUNGLOW.......love the new avatar, it suits you because you're such a NUT!!!!

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    For some reason, my parents thought I was odd because when I was about 2 I loved watching "Dark Shadows." Jonathan's still alive, what a hoot! I thought he'd passed on, must have been thinking of someone else.

endsleigh03 Guest
    bump

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    How about the really early shows? All sorts of bloopers.
    Once saw a fly land on Barnabas's nose and he did the whole scene without flinching.
    I loved the main staircase inside Collinwood that shakes/moves around every time someone climbs the stairs...obviously cheap plywood and I'm surprised it never just collapsed...

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    I loved the main staircase inside Collinwood that shakes/moves around every time someone climbs the stairs...obviously cheap plywood and I'm surprised it never just collapsed...
    I haven't actually seen any of the episodes since I was a kid.
    Probably be shocking to see things like that.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    I haven't actually seen any of the episodes since I was a kid.
    Probably be shocking to see things like that.
    Shocking YES, but in a good way...almost comforting...
    I know that sounds strange but that's the feeling I get when watching DS today--back then it was scary and I totally overlooked shaking, wobbling props, flubbed lines, and I just remembered something else--

Once in awhile, like every few episodes or so, you'd hear something just CRASH off-camera, like a piece of scenery fell over or whatever, and it totally covered up what the actors were saying, and usually they WOULD react to it LOL, just look toward where the sound was or whatever, it would register on their faces, but then they'd recover and move on with their lines.

Wonderful, just wonderful, those were the days!

Daphne Guest
    dear god!! PEOPLE remember dark shadows!! barnabis!! it was my fave show when I was a kid :hugs to all that remember it! I am vindicated!!! ( I work and deal with people that have no idea what happened prior to 1980) LOL
    Last edited by Daphne; 02-21-2008 at 08:18 PM. Reason: bad typing

Daphne Guest
    I know that sounds strange but that's the feeling I get when watching DS today--back then it was scary and I totally overlooked shaking, wobbling props, flubbed lines, and I just remembered something else--

Once in awhile, like every few episodes or so, you'd hear something just CRASH off-camera, like a piece of scenery fell over or whatever, and it totally covered up what the actors were saying, and usually they WOULD react to it LOL, just look toward where the sound was or whatever, it would register on their faces, but then they'd recover and move on with their lines.

LOL OMG I so remember!!

I understand that JONATHAN FRID has gotten weird about associating himself with DARK SHADOWS. Unfortunate. I mean that was the show that made him famous.

I too loved that show when I was a kid. My elementary school 'let out' at 3:30 which was the same time that the show aired on ABC, so I'd run like a sob to get home and miss as little as possible. When I watched some of the shows when the SCI-FI channel was running them some years back, I realized how god awful they really were, but to a 7 years old kid they were cool as shit ! I remember begging my dad to take me (he did) to the 2 movies that came out featuring the same cast.

A friend of mine is still a pretty avid fan of the series. A few years back, I came across the web site for actress LARA PARKER who played Angelique on the show. You can send away for her autographed photograph which I did to give to my friend for Christmas. I send it in a little late and didn't think that it would arrive on time. It did, and MISS PARKER sent a sweet little note too stating that she tried to make sure that it would arrive in time for the holidays; that impressed me that she took the time to do that.

JONATHAN FRID
    who played Barnabas

LARA PARKER
    was Angelique

KATHRYN LEIGH SCOTT
    shown here on the first episode
    playing a waitress who warns
    the new governess not to
    go to Collinwood. Several years
    later she was cast as the new governess
    named Maggie. Maggie it turned out
    bore a striking resemblance to
    Barnabas' long dead love Josette.

Veteran actress JOAN BENNETT
    played Elizabeth Stoddard,
    matriarch of the Collins family.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Reecy Guest
    Now that I'm looking at that photo of Elizabeth Stoddard Collins Kelt I can't help but remember how many flubs she made on the show. I used to hope she wouldn't flub her lines. I would ache for her. LOL

Bidmor Guest
    DS was hot when I was in junior high and I got hooked on the show one summer. When school started and not wanting to miss an episode, I positioned a portable cassette recorder (something new then too) with the mic hanging in front of the tv speaker. My mom would turn on the tv and recorder at DS time, then I'd listen to the playback after school.

Oh yeah, I always had the hots for Lara Parker.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Julia
    Attached Images Attached Images  

endsleigh03 Guest
    This is funny, Dark Shadows was basically a rough blueprint of the much later "Buffy The Vampire Slayer". ANother show I loved.

From Wiki....
    It was considered daring (and unprecedented in daytime television) when ghosts were introduced about six months after it began. The series became hugely popular when, a year into its run, vampire Barnabas Collins, played by Jonathan Frid, appeared. In addition to vampires, Dark Shadows featured werewolves, ghosts, zombies, man-made monsters, witches, warlocks, time travel, both into the past and into the future, and a parallel universe.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    OK, that's it.
    I'm shelling out for the DVDs....I can't stand it any longer. I'll just hold off on that face lift for another couple of years

endsleigh03 Guest
    OK, that's it.
    I'm shelling out for the DVDs....I can't stand it any longer. I'll just hold off on that face lift for another couple of years
    LoL! Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Reecy View Post
    Now that I'm looking at that photo of Elizabeth Stoddard Collins Kelt I can't help but remember how many flubs she made on the show. I used to hope she wouldn't flub her lines. I would ache for her. LOL

I liked to think that she got good & tanked before going in front of the cameras. She probably needed to be fortified; I mean here was an actress who had been an MGM contract player and had just divorced famous producer WALTER WANGER and now she's doing this shit about vampires and the undead and on an extreme BUDGET. What the hell, she was fun to watch. I like watching her opposite Count Potofi...........
    "Look at it Mrs Collins; can't take your eyes off of it, can you . . . ?"
    Her cries of horror over the dismemebered hand were a hoot !
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Daphne Guest
    OK, that's it.

LOL!! let me know what the show is like when you watch it as an adult... hee! I remember being just creeped by Barnabis

More Cheese Please Guest

Also love the boom mikes that used to move on and off camera!!! Love that show!

FannyB1923 Guest
    I love Barnabas. Nice to know he's still out of the casket!

He blogs on his website, jonathanfrid.com Sounds like he has some health issues.

Jod6cindy Guest
    I always had the feeling that Julia (Grayson Hall) was the real star of the show. She almost always did the narration at the beginning of the show and she was in most of the episodes.

I used to like the way she would say, "Barnabas, Barnabas..." She always said his name twice, for some reason! LOL

Nicki Guest

Dark Shadows Barnabas Collins,

Does anyone remember Jonathon Frid from Dark Shadows. Well he has a website.....still going strong.

http://jonathanfrid.com/main06.htm

Nicki Guest
    Depp lights up 'Dark Shadows'

Graham King to produce Warner feature

By MICHAEL FLEMING

Johnny Depp

King

Johnny Depp is looking to bite into the Jonathan Frid-originated character Barnabas Collins of 'Dark Shadows.'
    div#relatedBox {margin:5px;}
    div#relatedBox {margin:5px; width:300px;}More Articles:

Johnny Depp is getting in touch with his inner vampire.
    Warner Bros. is teaming with Depp's Infinitum-Nihil and Graham King's GK Films to develop a feature based on the '60s daytime supernatural sudser "Dark Shadows."
    Depp has said in interviews that he has always been obsessed with "Dark Shadows" and had, as a child, wanted to be Barnabas Collins, the vampire patriarch of the series. The role was originated by Jonathan Frid.
    A rights deal just closed with the estate of Dan Curtis, the producer/director who created the soap that aired weekdays on ABC, from 1966 to 1971. Depp and King will produce with David Kennedy, who ran Dan Curtis Prods. until Curtis died last year of a brain tumor. Infinitum-Nihil's Christi Dembrowski served as the point person on the deal.
    Over 1,225 episodes, "Dark Shadows" was a highly atmospheric, spooky soap that featured gothic horror staples like vampires, monsters, witches, werewolves, ghosts and zombies. The show has a continuing rabid fan base that populates Dark Shadows Festival conventions. Numerous TV revivals of the series and pic adaptations have been attempted over the years but none with as high-wattage a star as Depp. Depp, who is coming off "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" and who just wrapped the Tim Burton-directed "Sweeney Todd," is next expected to star in "Shantaram," a Mira Nair-directed adaptation of the Gregory David Roberts novel that Depp, King and Plan B are producing for Warner Bros. Depp, King and WB are also mobilizing to make a film about the life of Alexander Litvinenko, with Depp poised to play the former KGB agent, who was fatally poisoned.

</SPAN>

New "Dark Shadows" Movie

My wife is a huge Johnny Depp fan AND a Dark Shadows fan....I heard that he is going to play the role of Barnabus Collins in a new movie coming out either next year or 2011....

Has anyone heard anything else?? Or is this BS.....

Given the popularity of TRue Blood, it makes sense...Vampires are the hot item now....

I've heard about his too.

I really hope this movie happens. Love Dark Shadows and Johnny Depp. He'll make a perfect Barnabus.
    "Dying is just nature's way of saying, hey, you're not alive anymore!"

stay_zee Guest
    I used to come home from school every day and watch dark shadows. I was in kindergarten. I loved it sooo much that I remember being furious with my mother because she did not name my newborn brother Barnabus. :-)

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    I understand that JONATHAN FRID has gotten weird about associating himself with DARK SHADOWS. Unfortunate. I mean that was the show that made him famous.

I too loved that show when I was a kid. My elementary school 'let out' at 3:30 which was the same time that the show aired on ABC, so I'd run like a sob to get home and miss as little as possible. When I watched some of the shows when the SCI-FI channel was running them some years back, I realized how god awful they really were, but to a 7 years old kid they were cool as shit ! I remember begging my dad to take me (he did) to the 2 movies that came out featuring the same cast.

A friend of mine is still a pretty avid fan of the series. A few years back, I came across the web site for actress LARA PARKER who played Angelique on the show. You can send away for her autographed photograph which I did to give to my friend for Christmas. I send it in a little late and didn't think that it would arrive on time. It did, and MISS PARKER sent a sweet little note too stating that she tried to make sure that it would arrive in time for the holidays; that impressed me that she took the time to do that.

JONATHAN FRID
    who played Barnabas

LARA PARKER
    was Angelique

KATHRYN LEIGH SCOTT
    shown here on the first episode
    playing a waitress who warns
    the new governess not to
    go to Collinwood. Several years
    later she was cast as the new governess
    named Maggie. Maggie it turned out
    bore a striking resemblance to
    Barnabas' long dead love Josette.

Veteran actress JOAN BENNETT
    played Elizabeth Stoddard,

matriarch of the Collins family.
    Me too and I lived a block from school and just raced home to try to see most of it. Remember what was on after it on ABC? Where The Action Is. Paul Revere and Raiders, Keith Allison etc. Loved it!
    D
    In the wintern it would be getting dark just as DS went off and I was usually alone until my Mom got home at 5:30 pm. I can remember scaring myself silly imagining vampires. By then we had moved from the farm to the city or I would have likely been even more scared.
    Regards,
    Mary

monroe62 Guest
    While visiting NYC in Spring 1990, a friend took me to the apartment of another actor to have dinner and watch a student film that both were in. Met the gentleman at the door and sat down in the small living room.

Idle chit-chat unitl I heard Micheal (my friend) talking about seeing pictures of Jonathan (the other actor) on the cover of Videos at Blockbuster. It wasn't until I looked up at the wall behind the couch where I was sitting and saw the large Barnabas portrait from the show, his cane encased in a lucite box, and his ring encased in anothe lucite box.

Hel-lo. Made the mistake of telling Michael that my older brother was addicted to DS, and even dressed as Barnabas for Halloween. Of course when Jonathan came back into the room, THAT was the first thing that was mentioned.

Jonathan was a very gracious host and even though the film didn't turn out so well, the evening did.

Up to the point where we went outside and found Michaels' bike had been stolen.

Bidmor Guest
    Johnny Depp as Barnabas Collins in a Dark Shadows film? That'd be a dvd I'd buy...I don't think Depp would accept a crappy script, unlike The Avengers movie.

Noreen Guest
    This new Dark Shadows will be a Tim Burton production. I think he can do no wrong.
    Depp will be awesome. as always, as Barnabas. Since Tim always has his wife, Helena Bonham-Carter, in his movies,do you think she might play Elizabeth or Dr Grayson?
    I can't wait!

Reecy Guest
    I can't wait to see the film. Helena should play Elizabeth. Julia should be played by ???

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noreen View Post
    This new Dark Shadows will be a Tim Burton production. I think he can do no wrong.
    Oh wow...another perfect film for Burton, and he is the king of gothic-style films, and D.S. is about as goth as one can get. Burton ought to really be able to sink his teeth into this one. (Pun intended)

Nvr_Sk_to_Tll Guest
    Thought I'd bump this thread in light of my recent threads on some of the deceased performers of Dark Shadows...I've been a fan of the show since childhood, but recently got back into watching it.

Great news! I can't wait to see the film. From what I'm told, my grandma loved "Dark Shadows" but I can't say that I really remember seeing it. I've been catching up on YouTube, etc.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

I just loved Barnabas when I was a kid, thought he was so good looking and bad.

Seems like it came on at 4pm every day and I'd race home to watch it. I was in grammar school, I think. Loved Victoria Winters so much I'd pretend I was her. I'd go to town via creeping down back allies, pretending I was her in Collinwood. One day I glanced into an abandon building's window and saw a pair of jeaned legs standing behind something. Scared the living shit out of me and I never creeped down an alley again. Lmao.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

jaylene Guest
    I watched this show as a kid and loved it. I
    remember the music as if it was yesterday.
    Brings back alot of memories.