Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 450 of 730

Thread: The Oscars

  1. #401
    WriterDude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Mel View Post
    Heath wasn't in the photos in the memoriam section, most likely because they paid tribute to him last year (if I recall correctly).
    You do recall correctly.

  2. #402
    sew91472 Guest
    I didn't watch much of the show, but I did see the "In Memoriam" they did. I thought Queen Latifah did very a good job, but I was very annoyed with the MTV style camera work. The camera kept moving around so you couldn't see some of the people's names. They should've just kept a tight shot on the screen.

    Here's the 2009 Oscars memoriam with just the tight shot on the screen.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW5XT9cNgZk

  3. #403
    Dying Breath Guest
    This thread scared me... I have been sick since Saturday, high fever... the works... I started reading the thread at the start... and I did not remember posting so much.and could not even figure out wtf I was talking about....matter of fact I didn't think I was even online..
    then I looked at dates..and those posts were from LAST year.. thank god

    /salute nyquil

  4. #404
    Bee1001 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sew91472 View Post
    I didn't watch much of the show, but I did see the "In Memoriam" they did. I thought Queen Latifah did very a good job, but I was very annoyed with the MTV style camera work. The camera kept moving around so you couldn't see some of the people's names. They should've just kept a tight shot on the screen.

    Here's the 2009 Oscars memoriam with just the tight shot on the screen.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW5XT9cNgZk

    I definitely agree. I only watched the oscars this year to see this, and it was wayyyy too hard to read. C'mon.

  5. #405
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,165

    Academy Awards

    Am I the only one watching this? (Incidentally, I searched both Academy Awards and Oscars and nothing came up)

    Anyway, I am hating myself for thinking this, but Miley Cyrus has a tremendous rack. I'm sort of hoping her upper engineering comes undone...

    Also, Plummer should have won the supporting actor Oscar. He's earned it after all these years.

  6. #406
    sew91472 Guest
    I have it on as background noise right now. I'll be honest, the only part that interests me is the memoriam part they do. Hopefully they'll do a better job than they did last year.
    Last edited by sew91472; 03-07-2010 at 07:30 PM.

  7. #407
    majcm Guest
    I agree about Christopher Plummer...great actor (and quite the handsome guy in his youth )

    No comment on Miley's rack since I'm a girl, but I loved Sandra Bullock, Jennifer Lopez, Cameron Diaz and Vermiga something (in the the "Up in the Air") dresses! The women mostly look very put together this year. No messy hair or sleazy dresses.

    Don't care for all the guys and their beards. George Clooney, usually one the most handsome men on the planet, looks sloppy with his long hair and he even seems kindy grouchy or surly or something. Nothing like he usually is on these things. (maybe he & his gal are fightin') James Cameron's hair is just ewww CUT IT!!!

    Steve Martin & Alec Baldwin have been very funny tho!!

    DIdn't care for NPH's opening skit.

    The John Hughes tribure was sweet, and suprising how much older my old crushes have gotten (I guess I must have gotten that way to, dammit) But Judd Nelson, Matthew Broderick were HUNKS!

    It's been a good show so far...most people seem really relaxed and happy to be there. Hope Sandra & Jeff Bridges win!

  8. #408
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,165
    Quote Originally Posted by majcm View Post
    I agree about Christopher Plummer...great actor (and quite the handsome guy in his youth )

    No comment on Miley's rack since I'm a girl, but I loved Sandra Bullock, Jennifer Lopez, Cameron Diaz and Vermiga something (in the the "Up in the Air") dresses! The women mostly look very put together this year. No messy hair or sleazy dresses.

    Don't care for all the guys and their beards. George Clooney, usually one the most handsome men on the planet, looks sloppy with his long hair and he even seems kindy grouchy or surly or something. Nothing like he usually is on these things. (maybe he & his gal are fightin') James Cameron's hair is just ewww CUT IT!!!

    Steve Martin & Alec Baldwin have been very funny tho!!

    DIdn't care for NPH's opening skit.

    The John Hughes tribure was sweet, and suprising how much older my old crushes have gotten (I guess I must have gotten that way to, dammit) But Judd Nelson, Matthew Broderick were HUNKS!

    It's been a good show so far...most people seem really relaxed and happy to be there. Hope Sandra & Jeff Bridges win!
    Exactly what I was thinking about Clooney.

    I wish to gawd people who won for silly little awards - like best foreign cartoon, or whatever the fuck it was - would take the statue and leave. I don't need to hear speeches about movies, and from people, I've never heard of, and likely never will again. This is why the show runs so long...

  9. #409
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Seattle---Rain City---
    Posts
    1,311
    I'm watching...not too bad. Waiting anxiously for the Memory Tribute...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When life hands you tequila, make a margarita.

  10. #410
    jaylene Guest
    Clooney is being an ass IMO. Looks like that stick is still
    up his ass. Him and Tom Cruise need a double stickarectomy.
    I don't know how Clooney gets tail. OK I'm done.

  11. #411
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Seattle---Rain City---
    Posts
    1,311
    Yeah what is up with George Clooney anyways????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When life hands you tequila, make a margarita.

  12. #412
    sablegsd Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentino009 View Post
    Yeah what is up with George Clooney anyways????

    He's a self-absorbed jackass. He always was, but his so called "hotness" smoothed the road for him. He is a grouchy, elitist barf bag.

  13. #413
    mel306 Guest
    I am loving that last night Sandra Bullock accepted her Razzie for worst actress. Really hopes she wins tonight too.

  14. #414
    sew91472 Guest
    After watching the memoriam, why didn't they mention at least mention Farrah Fawcett, or Ed McMahon and Bea Arthur in this tribute?

  15. #415
    Frazzzld Kat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mel306 View Post
    I am loving that last night Sandra Bullock accepted her Razzie for worst actress. Really hopes she wins tonight too.
    Me too!

    Did anyone else notice that Farrah Fawcett was not in their memorial tribute?

  16. #416
    Frazzzld Kat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sew91472 View Post
    After watching the memoriam, why didn't they mention at least mention Farrah Fawcett, or Ed McMahon and Bea Arthur in this tribute?

    Oops you beat me to it. And I forgot about Ed and Bea as well. Good call!

  17. #417
    mel306 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sew91472 View Post
    After watching the memoriam, why didn't they mention at least mention Farrah Fawcett, or Ed McMahon and Bea Arthur in this tribute?
    I was watching thinking it was too short for the crazy year 2009 was. I just to cut down the show, they stuck to movie people only. That sucks.

  18. #418
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by sew91472 View Post
    After watching the memoriam, why didn't they mention at least mention Farrah Fawcett, or Ed McMahon and Bea Arthur in this tribute?
    I didn't miss that, and wondered why??? George Clooney looks like he needs to head to the bar, quick!
    IMO, the dresses for the most part are awful. Helen Mirrin and Penelope Cruz look good, I don't understand Kate Winslet's dress although her jewels are nice.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived


  19. #419
    Seagorath Guest
    Yay, Sandra Bullock won!!!

  20. #420
    mel306 Guest
    Yes, she took him down. She is queen of the world!!!!

  21. #421
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,860
    The Hurt Locker~!!!
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived


  22. #422
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wolfsschanze
    Posts
    7,554
    I can understand why avatar didn't win, part of the cast is computer animated.

  23. #423
    endsleigh03 Guest
    George Clooney looked pissed.

  24. #424
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Warwick, RI, USA
    Posts
    1,838
    Quote Originally Posted by mel306 View Post
    I was watching thinking it was too short for the crazy year 2009 was. I just to cut down the show, they stuck to movie people only. That sucks.
    I read an article the other day which mentioned that they end up with something like 100 names, and have to edit it down to 30 for time! Frankly, I'd rather see all 100 and cut the gags between awards. I didn't watch last night, but I understand Martin and Baldwin did a good job. I wish some of the other people trying to be funny would cut it out, because it drags down the pacing of the show.
    Last edited by amaranthaseven; 03-08-2010 at 08:38 AM. Reason: typo

  25. #425
    STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sew91472 View Post
    After watching the memoriam, why didn't they mention at least mention Farrah Fawcett, or Ed McMahon and Bea Arthur in this tribute?
    I would not consider any of the three film stars. They were mainly TV and in the case of Bea the stage.
    I don't think made for TV movies really count.
    It is pretty much reserved for people primarily known for film.
    I thought Martin and Baldwin were quite good together and the humor was a bit more sophisticated than usual. All in all I was pleased and was quite glad the Hurt Locker won.
    I was bored to tears with Avatars and James Cameron, while very creative, is too much of a legend in his own mind for my taste.
    I was also glad "Up" won in the animated category. I also liked the Princess and the Frog ( it had the best music) but overall Up was more fun.
    Regards,
    Mary

  26. #426
    STORMIE Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    Anyway, I am hating myself for thinking this, but Miley Cyrus has a tremendous rack. I'm sort of hoping her upper engineering comes undone...

    That is just all kinds of wrong, Duster!

  27. #427
    Desertrose Guest
    It looks like Miley has had some work done. Those were just a little too perky. I am so glad George Clooney lost, he looked bored, pissed and smug. What a crappy attitude. I am glad the nominated songs were not sung this year, that is usually my least favorite part of the show. I must be getting old though, so many presenters are so young and most I haven't heard of. Sandra Bullock is a classy lady.

  28. #428
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Amsterdam, Sin City of the Netherlands
    Posts
    1,196
    I'm glad that Jeff Bridges, Sandra Bullock and Christoph Waltz won an award. I'm also happy that the movie about grown up smurfs did not win. I'm really curious about The Hurt Locker.
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...


  29. #429
    KarmaKat Guest
    I understand the whole sticking mainly to movies idea. Although I do think they should make exceptions is certain cases. After all I wouldnt exactly call the wiz a stand out film and they still included Michael Jackson. Farrah was a household name as well. Theyy should celebrate actors not just those from the movies.

  30. #430
    GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    Anyway, I am hating myself for thinking this, but Miley Cyrus has a tremendous rack. I'm sort of hoping her upper engineering comes undone...
    The way this country goes apeshit over sex offenders living in the same neighborhood I'm surprised that an "underage" girl was able to wear that.
    Especially when it's the same girl that created all the hoopla over the infamous Annie Leibovitz photo.


    No doubt tons of pedos were turned on when they saw Miley walking up to the mic.

    Seems to me that she is another Madonna in the works.

    [quote=Desertrose;1014115]It looks like Miley has had some work done. Those were just a little too perky. [quote]
    Can girls under 18 have plastic surgery on their breasts?
    Or maybe it had to do with the dress design?
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    I would not consider any of the three film stars. They were mainly TV and in the case of Bea the stage.
    I don't think made for TV movies really count.
    It is pretty much reserved for people primarily known for film.
    Regards,
    Mary
    And yet a few years ago they featured Carroll O'Connor.
    I had no idea that he was in any feature films.
    He is mostly known for TV.

  31. #431
    Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Martin & Baldwin were funny; good hosts. Could've done without NPH doing his song-and-dance schtick yet again. Steve Martin pointing out "that damn Helen Mirren" was hilarious!

    Glad Jeff Bridges won, it's about time. Sandra Bullock, not so much--nice lady, seems like a great gal, but comparing her acting with Meryl Streep's is like comparing Chef Boy-Ar-Dee to Julia Child. They aren't even in the same league, talent-wise, so I thought that was a bummer. Otherwise, the show was OK--nothing to write home about though.

    Duster I too was rooting for Christopher Plummer--he's never even been nominated for an Oscar before, which frankly is disgraceful. He SHOULD have won.

  32. #432
    STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post


    And yet a few years ago they featured Carroll O'Connor.
    I had no idea that he was in any feature films.
    He is mostly known for TV.
    Carrol O'Connor was in several great films in the 50s and early 60s such as "In Harm's Way". He has a pretty impressive body of film work.
    I think a long list of everyone makes sense for SAG because it is TV and movies but the Oscars is a different ballgame and I think they are definately a more narrow listing.
    Regards,
    Mary

  33. #433
    jaylene Guest
    I too was bummed out Meryl Streep didn't win.
    But its ok Sandra Bullock got her first Oscar thats
    fine. But I will admit when her name was called my
    jaw dropped. But Meryl's not done. She will be back!

  34. #434
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pueblo Colorado
    Posts
    73
    So when do womens, or in Mileys case, girls boobs start to sag? I would think at 17 they would still be pretty perky
    I also thought they would've mentioned Farrah & Bea.

  35. #435
    Giada Guest
    I enjoyed about 50% of the Oscar's, but that is true for me on any given year. Sandra Bullock nailed the part of Lee Ann Touhy, well deserved win, as did Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart.

    Avatar took it's rightful place winning for CG. The script was amateurish, as Cameron admits. The goal was to sell it for CG and it worked. The academy would have been panned had Avatar won for anything more.

    Slow year for good films, but high marks to Carey Mulligan in An Education, Coen Bros, A Serious Man, and Up in the Air, (fast moving with exit interviews done by non-actor's).

  36. #436
    majcm Guest
    My damn DVR stopped taping right when Tim Robbins was talked to Morgan Freeman before the best actor award. And the last 4 are what I wanted to SEE. (Complaint tomorrow to Insight Cablevision for sure) I even hit the butto to tape 30 min. past the normal time. Does ANYONE know where I can watch the last part of the show????Please????Thanks!!

  37. #437
    Frazzzld Kat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Martin & Baldwin were funny; good hosts. Could've done without NPH doing his song-and-dance schtick yet again. Steve Martin pointing out "that damn Helen Mirren" was hilarious!
    LOL I thought that was hilarious also and then Baldwin points out "no, Steve, it's Dame Helen Mirren" and Steve just says "oh sorry"!

  38. #438
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    21,891
    I used to like George Clooney about 100 years ago but then he got way too pushy with the politics and everything else.

    Dear Mr. Clooney;

    Do you want to entertain or alienate the people who'd buy your movies? You can't have it both ways.


    (Sincerely,

    Hollis P. Greene - for DietCokeofEvil)
    .

  39. #439
    jaylene Guest
    The skit they did on that paranormal movie had me
    rolling on the floor. Still makes me giggle.

  40. #440
    STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by majcm View Post
    My damn DVR stopped taping right when Tim Robbins was talked to Morgan Freeman before the best actor award. And the last 4 are what I wanted to SEE. (Complaint tomorrow to Insight Cablevision for sure) I even hit the butto to tape 30 min. past the normal time. Does ANYONE know where I can watch the last part of the show????Please????Thanks!!
    It is on ABC.com and available on hulu.com
    Regards,
    mary

  41. #441
    endsleigh03 Guest
    Has it yet been determined what the HELL was wrong with ol' George.
    I couldn't believe the looks on his face.
    Madder than a piss ant, as my mom says

  42. #442
    STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Has it yet been determined what the HELL was wrong with ol' George.
    I couldn't believe the looks on his face.
    Madder than a piss ant, as my mom says
    It was a joke with Baldwin. They were doing a stare down. It was clearly a joke. I can't believe a lot of people didn't get it.
    I thought it was very funny. Remember Alex and George were leading men at the same time for years. At one point Baldwin was the highest paid leading man in Hollywood. There has always been a friendly rivalry between the two. In 1993 when Alex Baldwin made the movie Malice he was the highest grossing male star in Hollywood. George Clooney was coming along right behind him.
    It was a joke.
    Regards,
    Mary

  43. #443
    majcm Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    It is on ABC.com and available on hulu.com
    Regards,
    mary

    Thanks, Mary, you're a doll!!!

  44. #444
    doom_buggy Guest
    I also love Sandra, but I think Meryl should have won.
    Is it just me or did anyone else think the Best Score number with all the hip hop/break type dancing seemed weird. I love all kinds of dancing and theatre but it just seemed so mismatched with the soundtracks

  45. #445
    STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by majcm View Post
    Thanks, Mary, you're a doll!!!
    You are quite welcome. I only know because our cousin works for cabke vision in the marketing department and they were totally flipping out on ABC access battle pre-Oscar. We have FIOS but she sent an email that told several family members with cable how they could access it after the event.
    Regards,
    Mary

  46. #446
    endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    It was a joke with Baldwin. They were doing a stare down. It was clearly a joke. I can't believe a lot of people didn't get it.
    I thought it was very funny. Remember Alex and George were leading men at the same time for years. At one point Baldwin was the highest paid leading man in Hollywood. There has always been a friendly rivalry between the two. In 1993 when Alex Baldwin made the movie Malice he was the highest grossing male star in Hollywood. George Clooney was coming along right behind him.
    It was a joke.
    Regards,
    Mary
    Never followed either of them enough to know that.

  47. #447
    Giada Guest
    Word on the street is ... Baldwin, Clooney were boring as hell. The show went over 3 hours, and had it been entertaining and precise, two hours would have been sufficient.

    Martin/Baldwin opening was great fun, beyond that there was an 88 minute spread between major awards.

    One of the worst films of 2009 was It's Complicated. Streep, who I enjoy so much of the time, giggled without cause. Baldwin and Martin fell flat on both humor and performance.

    I prefer the GG and the ISA ... also the BAFTA's when I can catch it online.

  48. #448
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,860
    I never, never, never want to see Baldwin do any award show ever again! Why they picked him I have no idea and I don't want to know. UGH. I think Steve Martin might have held it on his own. Why not?
    It's a shame to see people like George Clooney (and his wench) with an attitude. Like, this whole thing is beneath us, we're just here to appease the peasants.
    I would've liked to have seen Meryl win too, but I liked Sandra's class and humility. And seeing "The Hurt Locker" win over "Avatar" was amusing. James Cameron, take that!
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived


  49. #449
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Middle of the road
    Posts
    1,701
    Ok. They didn't have time to do Best Song, or a complete In Memoriam, but they wasted how many precious minutes of our lives with that Best Score interpretive dance B.S?
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

  50. #450
    endsleigh03 Guest
    The Kings Speech is up for 12 Oscars, anyone seen the movie?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •