Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oscars

pvezz Guest
    Holy Cow - Hitchcock never won a Best Picture Oscar? WTF?

I had no idea.

ChargerBill Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    Holy Cow - Hitchcock never won a Best Picture Oscar? WTF?

I had no idea.
    Rebecca won for Best Picture in 1940, but Hitchcock himself never won Best Director.

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargerBill View Post
    Rebecca won for Best Picture in 1940, but Hitchcock himself never won Best Director.

Thanks, Bill. Unreal!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Actually Gran Torino was put into limited release in time to qualify for this year's Oscars...guess there just isn't much love for Clint out there this year! It's too bad...his films are always thought-provoking and, well, just plain GOOD.
    Clint is freakin' awesome.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSunshine View Post
    Sorry- I meant to say Million Dollar Baby got Oscar love, not Changeling. Sorry, I'm hung over.
    Well get a grip girl........

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSunshine View Post
    Don't make me come over there Molly

John Connor Guest

Peter Gabriel Pulls Out of Oscars: Somebody Forgot to Care

LOS ANGELES - Peter Gabriel's minute in the Oscars spotlight will lack one important element: Peter Gabriel.

The Academy Award-nominated singer won't perform at the Feb. 22 ceremony to protest an apparently revamped presentation of best original song contenders. Gabriel says in a video on his website that he objects to the songs being shortened to 65 seconds apiece and made part of a medley.

Gabriel is nominated alongside Thomas Newman for "Down To Earth" from "WALL-E."

The British musician says he'll still attend the Oscars, but is hoping a gospel choir will stand in for him onstage.

Organizers have warned that this year's ceremony will be full of new twists, including the way categories are presented.

Guest Guest
    Hmmm.

cachluv Guest
    I don't know about having the same reactions as anyone else but in my book I respect him immensely. He's one of the last few artists who's work is really about his work and not about PR stunts and scandals and petty bickering with other celeb's.

Plus he's so handsome.

If he's upset that his work is being corrupted then I understand his decision not to partake. I can't say as I would like one of my songs to be shortened into some commercialized "medley" of hits from this year's nominees. He doesn't seem gratuitously bitter and didn't run his mouth like a lot of stars would. He just said his bit and went on. He'll still be there.

GrinReaper Guest
    It seems like every year they (The Oscars organizors) try something new to make the long boring awards show exciting or less boring. And every year they fail.
    This year shouldn't be any different with one of their own hosting: Hugh Jackman.

hoxharding Guest
    New Category this year-
    Best speech made in 65 seconds,gets another award.=)

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    New Category this year-
    Best speech made in 65 seconds,gets another award.=)
    A shoe in for Heath Ledger

opheliahardin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    I don't know about having the same reactions as anyone else but in my book I respect him immensely. He's one of the last few artists who's work is really about his work and not about PR stunts and scandals and petty bickering with other celeb's.
    I'm with you 100 %. He's got integrity and enough self-esteem to tell them to take hike and it won't bother him a bit.

I was so surprised to hear him when I saw WALL-E! Took me back a few years...

Good for him, he has integrity.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

cachluv Guest
    ...plus he's had the class to not go on and on about it. Alot of celebrities would have stamped their feet alot louder. Maybe even have voiced opposition to the song being used, etc.

Last edited by cachluv; 02-13-2009 at 06:53 PM.

I'd do him...
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    What the academy awards organizers just can't seem to understand is that it's not the music or entertainment segments that need to be shortened...it's the self-serving acceptance speeches thanking dozens of people none of us have ever heard of and the subsequent diarrhea of the mouth that ensues when the winner wants to be sure they've thanked absolutely everyone in Hollywood so that they'll be sure to work again.
    They should limit the speeches to the time it takes to say "Thank you and good night."
    Let me program this motherf*cker...I'll take it down to 1:25, 1:45 with commercials! Problem solved! And me about $400,000 clams richer! I like it!

sheri Guest
    I agree that the speeches run far longer than they should. Damn self serving peeps. Speaking of self-serving...Peter Gabriel does this crying foul routine more than once, and it's irritating as all get out. Just like all the nonsense from "Sir" Bob Geldof. Oh look at me...they can't stand being left out of the limelight for any length of time, and I am tired of it. They are being just as self serving as the people that have diarrhea of the mouth acceptance speeches at ANY and ALL awards shows.

Which is why I don't watch award shows, and haven't in 20 some odd years now, and I don't miss a thing, because I can get the short and fast version of it on the news the next day anyways. Bunch of twatwaffles and D-list cunts, they are.

Littleroben Guest
    Good on him, he stands up for what he believes in. I think he's great, and I love his voice.

dirk diggler Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    What the academy awards organizers just can't seem to understand is that it's not the music or entertainment segments that need to be shortened...it's the self-serving acceptance speeches thanking dozens of people none of us have ever heard of and the subsequent diarrhea of the mouth that ensues when the winner wants to be sure they've thanked absolutely everyone in Hollywood so that they'll be sure to work again.
    They should limit the speeches to the time it takes to say "Thank you and good night."
    Let me program this motherf*cker...I'll take it down to 1:25, 1:45 with commercials! Problem solved! And me about $400,000 clams richer! I like it!
    Yeah here's your award now fuckoff !

Ms. Black Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post
    A shoe in for Heath Ledger
    Now that is cold.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
    Yeah here's your award now fuckoff !
    There ya go!

Snoopy Guest
    I like Peter Gabriel..classy guy..he handled that perfectly..and I agree about the acceptance speeches...unfortunately when they do try to keep it short these arrogant stars say stop the music I'm not done here I'm gonna finish..that trend started with Julia Roberts win..remember she was like Oh no stop the music I like it up here! I say good luck trying to stop and actor from talking in front of a camera!

hoxharding Guest
    OOO!
    Maybe they can replace him with Rob Lowe and he can sing to Cinderella or Snow White....Again!(who thought of that muscial number anyway?)

KarmaKat Guest
    Didnt like the fact he said he wasnt prepared to make a cameo apparence at the Oscars. Its like an actor being nominated and saying "well I dont like the clip your going to play its too short. I will not be in it."
    If he didnt want to perform thats cool by why even tell the public about it. He should have left it as a private matter. My impressions of him just went down a lot.

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post

Plus he's so handsome.

If he's upset that his work is being corrupted then I understand his decision not to partake. I can't say as I would like one of my songs to be shortened into some commercialized "medley" of hits from this year's nominees. He doesn't seem gratuitously bitter and didn't run his mouth like a lot of stars would. He just said his bit and went on. He'll still be there.
    Bravo, Cach!

My_Smiling_Skull Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sheri View Post
    I agree that the speeches run far longer than they should. Damn self serving peeps. Speaking of self-serving...Peter Gabriel does this crying foul routine more than once, and it's irritating as all get out. Just like all the nonsense from "Sir" Bob Geldof. Oh look at me...they can't stand being left out of the limelight for any length of time, and I am tired of it. They are being just as self serving as the people that have diarrhea of the mouth acceptance speeches at ANY and ALL awards shows.

Which is why I don't watch award shows, and haven't in 20 some odd years now, and I don't miss a thing, because I can get the short and fast version of it on the news the next day anyways. Bunch of twatwaffles and D-list cunts, they are.
    BAHAHAHA I love it!!

You LIKE me.. You really LIKE ME!

octobersky Guest
    Good for him. He doesn't want his art mutilated.
    Love me some Peter Gabriel

IrishBabe Guest
    I am going to DVR the ceremony so I can fast forward through the boring awards, stupid presentations, and the constant political nonsense no one gives a crap about. An occasional pause on Hugh Jackman (*sigh*) and voila'...perfect Oscar ceremony.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RubySlippers Guest
    they have done that in the past. i can understand him being upset about it --- but i wouldn't get booty hurt about it, like it is rude or disrespectful to the artist. its the nature of the awards. oh well. i guess he is doing the right thing, even if he is kinda being a prick about it.

Cherry Malotte Guest
    There's only three fucking songs nominated...they couldn't let the artists play the whole piece? Stupid.

Good for Peter Gabriel must give him credit for standing by
    his music and song.

Cadence71 Guest
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwz5q8Oh2ug

My favorite Peter Gabriel song. He's amazing.

Littleroben Guest

John Connor Guest
    I'm with the medley. I don't need to hear some sappy song from Wall-E. I also couldn't care if Peter Gabriel shows up for the Oscars. I don't care about the Oscars.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I used to be so into the Oscars, but I lost all interest maybe 4-5 years ago. I can't say why, but it's too long, it runs too late, it's too boring, moves too slowly. And, I really don't care who wins. Unlike most recent years, I've actually seen most of the flicks up for the major awards this year and have my favorites, but I can find out the next morning.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I know the Academy Awards are a load of crap. That has absolutely NO bearing on the fact that it's the glitziest most craptacular night in America and I wouldn't miss it if Gabriel were on his third toot of the horn.

RubySlippers Guest
    so --- miley is FIRST on the red carpet and LOOK AT WHAT SHE IS WEARING!!!
    poor kid.
    http://perezhilton.com/2009-02-22-that-looks-heavy

guardmom2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    so --- miley is FIRST on the red carpet and LOOK AT WHAT SHE IS WEARING!!!
    poor kid.
    http://perezhilton.com/2009-02-22-that-looks-heavy
    I was so hoping to see a beautiful dress

RubySlippers Guest
    i am having a hard time finding a live stream online of the red carpet. any ideas?

TallulahDahling Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    i am having a hard time finding a live stream online of the red carpet. any ideas?
    Have you tried E online?

mandee1005 Guest
    What did you think of the opening number??

DarkePriz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mandee1005 View Post
    What did you think of the opening number??

I loved it! Hugh Jackman was funny, talented and sexy during it IMO....the perfect combination

mandee1005 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkePriz View Post
    I loved it! Hugh Jackman was funny, talented and sexy during it IMO....the perfect combination

Me too! HOT HOT HOT!!! I'm glad that they are taking a comedy approach to the show..

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    I think Jennifer Anistan looked pretty. Loved how they showed Angelina and Brad when she was up there!

Rooting for Kate Winslet!!

mandee1005 Guest
    Was that Ben Stiller?? OMG thats wrong!!

Has Ledger won yet?
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    Ben Stiller was hilarious! LOL Just needs a break from being a funny man! HA!

mandee1005 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    Has Ledger won yet?

nope..not yet.. they are doing the other stuff ( best short film, costums etc) first.. the only thing they did first was supporting actress