Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oscars

lab_rat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RLR12 View Post
    I completely agree with you regarding Sean Penn in Dead Man Walking and Daniel Day-Lewis in Gangs of New York. DDL blew my mind in Gangs of New York. He was amazing.
    Oh, and you couldn't be more right regarding Saving Private Ryan and Shakespeare in Love. Can't believe the way that went down.

I agree with all of the above. I didn't see Gangs of New York or The Pianist, but DDL is hot!!

lab_rat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    Hi RLR, thanks for your comments
    i dont think that The DEPARTED is Scorsese's best film.
    I think that they gave him the award because it was about time to do so!!
    i think he should have won and Oscar for best director before, for Taxi Driver, Ragging Bull or Goodfellas.
    i liked the Departed but its not one of my Scorsese's favorites.
    The Departed was a good movie but I think it was picked just so Scorsese could get his Oscar. I can't remember who it beat out. Going to look that up!
    Last edited by lab_rat; 08-17-2008 at 09:37 AM.

Tugboat25 Guest
    I very much enjoyed Little Miss Sunshine but I have to say, Alan Arkin didn't deserve the best supporting oscar for that.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    I very much enjoyed Little Miss Sunshine but I have to say, Alan Arkin didn't deserve the best supporting oscar for that.
    I second that. I thought Eddie Murphy was a shoe in for Dream Girls.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunga View Post
    Least...Marisa Tomei - My Cousin Vinnie (Way to go Palance!)

Absolutely agree on that one!!!!!!!

SenorMuerto Guest
    In 1952, "The Greatest Show On Earth" became probably the worst motion picture to ever win the Best Picture Oscar.

Eligible, but not even nominated that year: "Singing In The Rain".

onekindsistah Guest
    Phillip Seymour Hoffman best actor for Capote - well deserved.
    I think Brokeback Mountain should've won too.

leeny994 Guest
    I thought The Namesake was overlooked. I adored the book and I was so impressed with the movie. Yes Kumar....

I agree that there have not been true Oscar worthy movies in years... sad really and with all the awards shows---it is like it does not even matter anymore.

Hopefully the Tony Awards don't go that route...

Snudgie Guest
    I usually don't mind who wins what...I just watch for the frocks and gossip (yes I am shallow) but I really thought that Felicity Huffman should have won the Oscar in 2005 for "Transamerica"...instead of Reese Wetherspoon for "Walk the Line"...nothing against Reece she's adorable and I love (and own) a few of her movies....but Felicity was just amazing in that movie....she's fantastic!

Morrissey Guest
    Most deserved: Joan Crawford for Mildred Pierce -- yes! She should've won more, god damn it.

Also, No Country For Old Men was well-deserved, and obviously so was DDL's win for Best Actor in There Will Be Blood... clearly the two best movies of 2007.

Tugboat25 Guest
    Ya know, I'm going to have to disagree and say that Marissa Tomei was a well deserved Academy Award winner.
    If you go and watch My Cousin Vinny again (it's a Very good comedy) and you really watch her performance and pay attention to it, I feel you can really see just how good she was in it.
    I think it's unfair how she is summarily dismissed as a valid winner.
    She was terrific in My Cousin Vinny and I'm happy her great work was well rewarded.

One other thing, I'm from New York and I can honestly say that's Exactly how young Italian women in Brooklyn talk and dress and behave.
    Marissa Tomei was Spot On in her interpretation. She was eerily realistic in her portrayal. (another reason why she won the Oscar).
    Last edited by Tugboat25; 08-23-2008 at 06:11 PM.

Reecy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    I think Atonement deserved more awards. Everything about it was spot on.
    But the scenes of the wounded were so viseral(which is good) Still,
    ewwwwwwwwwww.
    If you have seen this-you know what I mean when I say this-if
    someone asks you to loosen a bandage. Be ready for whatever is under it.(ugh)

I 2nd that Hox.....

soonerpimp Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    Most deserved: Joan Crawford for Mildred Pierce -- yes! She should've won more, god damn it.

Also, No Country For Old Men was well-deserved, and obviously so was DDL's win for Best Actor in There Will Be Blood... clearly the two best movies of 2007.
    Daniel Day Lewis was remarkable in that movie.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest

Right on!

Morrissey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Right on!
    Thank you for agreeing -- it means a lot to me!

It's quite popular to bash her, and it really upsets me when people do.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Thank you for agreeing -- it means a lot to me!

It's quite popular to bash her, and it really upsets me when people do.
    I have two collections of her movies, many of which I'd never seen before, and watching them has been a real revelation. Most of them, almost all, are SO entertaining. She may have been dramatic and old school, but I'll tell you I can't take my eyes off her...she was something else!

Morrissey Guest
    I have two collections of her movies, many of which I'd never seen before, and watching them has been a real revelation. Most of them, almost all, are SO entertaining. She may have been dramatic and old school, but I'll tell you I can't take my eyes off her...she was something else!
    Do you have both box sets? I do too!

She really was...there was never anyone like her, and there obviously never will be. She was just simply perfect.

Sorry for going OT, but I'm very passionate about my favourite actress!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Do you have both box sets? I do too!

She really was...there was never anyone like her, and there obviously never will be. She was just simply perfect.

Sorry for going OT, but I'm very passionate about my favourite actress!
    Oh HELL yes! Bought each of 'em the day they were released, are you kidding me?

Morrissey Guest
    Oh HELL yes! Bought each of 'em the day they were released, are you kidding me?
    As did I! In fact, I pre-ordered them!

We recently had a Crawford fest in our theatre (my dad and I, he's a big fan too). I prefer the first box set, but the second is definitely great too! Lots of films I hadn't seen.

Erm, let me quickly go back on topic here before I get in trouble... Javier Bardem's oscar was also greatly deserved, IMO... that was personally one of the most intriguing, well-acted, and just all-around great roles I've ever seen!
    I screamed happily when he was announced!

John Connor Guest
    Halle Berry is not as bad an actress as everyone says and personally I thought Catwoman was quite entertaining. The dyke fight with Sharon Stone (shit she's butch--am I the only one who sees this????) was stirring.
    BUT she in no way deserved an Oscar for that shitty movie where her acting consists of taking it up the arse from Billy Bob. If anyone was good in that mess it was Heath Ledger and he was in it for 10 minutes.

I love Julia Roberts.

possibly Moe Howards depiction of Hitler took some edge off of Chaplins take in The Great Dictator.

BooMom Guest

Oscar Nominations 2009

Best Picture
    'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'
    'Frost/Nixon'
    'Milk'
    'The Reader'
    'Slumdog Millionaire'

Best Director
    Danny Boyle, 'Slumdog Millionaire'
    Stephen Daldry, 'The Reader'
    David Fincher, 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'
    Ron Howard, 'Frost/Nixon'
    Gus Van Sant, 'Milk'

Best Actor
    Richard Jenkins, 'The Visitor'
    Frank Langella, 'Frost/Nixon'
    Sean Penn, 'Milk'
    Brad Pitt, 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'
    Mickey Rourke, 'The Wrestler'

Best Actress
    Anne Hathaway, 'Rachel Getting Married'
    Angelina Jolie, 'Changeling'
    Melissa Leo, 'Frozen River'
    Meryl Streep, 'Doubt'
    Kate Winslet, 'The Reader'

Best Supporting Actor
    Josh Brolin, 'Milk'
    Robert Downey Jr., 'Tropic Thunder'
    Philip Seymour Hoffman, 'Doubt'
    Heath Ledger, 'The Dark Knight'
    Michael Shannon, ' Revolutionary Road'

Best Supporting Actress
    Amy Adams, 'Doubt'
    Penelope Cruz, 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona'
    Viola Davis, 'Doubt'
    Taraji P. Henson, 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'
    Marisa Tomei, 'The Wrestler'

Best Animated Feature Film
    'Bolt'
    'Kung Fu Panda'
    'Wall-E'

Best Foreign Film
    'The Baader Meinhof Complex' (Germany)
    'The class' (France)
    'Departures'(Japan)
    'Revanche' (Austria)
    'Waltz With Bashir' (Israel)

Best Original Screenplay
    Dustin Lance Black, 'Milk'
    Courtney Hunt, 'Frozen River'
    Mike Leigh, 'Happy-Go-Lucky'
    Martin McDonagh, 'In Bruges'
    Andrew Stanton, Jim Reardon, Pete Docter, 'WALL-E'

Best Adapted Screenplay
    Eric Roth, Robin Swicord, 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'
    John Patrick Shanley, 'Doubt'
    Peter Morgan, 'Frost/Nixon'
    David Hare, 'The Reader'
    Simon Beaufoy, 'Slumdog Millionaire'

Best Documentary Feature
    'The Betrayal'
    'Encounters at the End of the World'
    'The Garden'
    'Man on Wire'
    'Trouble the Water'

Best Original Score
    'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'
    'Defiance'
    'Milk'
    'Slumdog Millionaire'
    'WALL-E'
    Last edited by BooMom; 01-22-2009 at 07:01 AM.

BooMom Guest
    <LI class=head><LI class=head>Best Film Editing Kirk Baxter, Angus Wall, 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'
    Lee Smith, 'The Dark Knight'
    Mike Hill, Dan Hanley, 'Frost/Nixon'
    Elliot Graham, 'Milk'
    Chris Dickens, 'Slumdog Millionaire'

<LI class=head>Best Documentary - Short Subject 'The Conscience of Nhem En,' Steven Okazaki
    'The Final Inch,' Irene Taylor Brodsky, Tom Grant
    'Smile Pinki,' Megan Mylan
    'The Witness - From the Balcony of Room 306,' Adam Pertofsky, Margaret Hyde

<LI class=head>Best Cinematography Tom Stern, 'Changeling'
    Claudio Miranda, 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'
    Wally Pfister, 'The Dark Knight'
    Chris Menges, Roger Deakins, 'The Reader'
    Anthony Dod Mantle, 'Slumdog Millionaire'

<LI class=head>Best Costume Design Catherine Martin, 'Australia'
    Jacqueline West, 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'
    Michael O'Connor, 'The Duchess'
    Danny Glicker, 'Milk'
    Albert Wolsky, 'Revolutionary Road'

<LI class=head>Best Sound Mixing David Parker, Michael Semanick, Ren Klyce, Mark Weingarten, 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'
    Lora Hirschberg, Gary Rizzo, Ed Novick, 'The Dark Knight'
    Ian Tapp, Richard Pryke, Resul Pookutty, 'Slumdog Millionaire'
    Tom Myers, Michael Semanick, Ben Burtt, 'WALL-E'
    Chris Jenkins, Frank A. Montaño, Petr Forejt, 'Wanted'

<LI class=head>Best Sound Editing Richard King, 'The Dark Knight'
    Frank Eulner, Christopher Boyes, 'Iron Man'
    Tom Sayers, 'Slumdog Millionaire'
    Ben Burtt, Matthew Wood, 'WALL-E'
    Wylie Stateman, 'Wanted'

<LI class=head>Best Live Action Short Film 'Auf der Strecke (On the Line),' Reto Caffi
    'Manon on the Asphalt,' Elizabeth Marre, Olivier Pont
    'New Boy,' Steph Green, Tamara Anghie
    'The Pig,' Tivi Magnusson, Dorte Høgh
    'Spielzeugland (Toyland),' Jochen Alexander Freydank

<LI class=head>Best Animated Short Film 'La Maison de Petits Cubes,' Kunio Kato
    'Lavatory - Lovestory,' Konstantin Bronzit
    'Oktapodi,' Emud Mokhberi, Thierry Marchand
    'Presto,' Doug Sweetland
    'This Way Up,' Alan Smith, Adam Foulkes

<LI class=head>Best Makeup Greg Cannom, 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'
    John Caglione, Jr., Conor O'Sullivan, 'The Dark Knight'
    Mike Elizalde, Thom Flout, 'Hellboy II: The Golden Army'

<LI class=head>Best Art Direction James J. Murakami, Gary Fettis, 'Changeling'
    Donald Graham Burt, Victor J. Zolfo, 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'
    Nathan Crowley, Peter Lando, 'The Dark Knight'
    Michael Carlin, Rebecca Alleway, 'The Duchess'
    Kristi Zea, Debra Schutt, 'Revolutionary Road'

<LI class=head>Best Visual Effects Eric Barba, Steve Preeg, Burt Dalton, Craig Barron, 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'
    Nick Davis, Chris Corbould, Tim Webber, Paul Franklin, 'The Dark Knight'
    John Nelson, Ben Snow, Dan Sudick, Shane Mahan, 'Iron Man'

ShatteredMirror Guest
    And the worst/most cringeworthy/entertatingly awful acceptance speech goes to.......

either Kate Winslett (cue sobs, breathlessness and huge dollops of sentimental tosh)

or

Mickey Rourke (seriously, great if he wins; not so great if he brings his beloved little dog on stage or his plastic face starts literally going into meltdown as the sweat and tears rolls down his cheeks).

Bidmor Guest
    The Dark Knight gets shut out for best picture. Christopher Nolan gets shut out for TDK best director. Sheesh!

BooMom Guest
    Sorry for the crappy editing - I'm running back and forth from one end of the house to the other, trying to do this and laundry @ the same time.

BooMom Guest
    I'm rooting for either Frank Langella or Sean Penn for BA!

ShatteredMirror Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    The Dark Knight gets shut out for best picture. Christopher Nolan gets shut out for TDK best director. Sheesh!
    Yes, that was a surprise. Especially the Nolan snub. But that's the Oscar's for you.

Quote Originally Posted by BooMom View Post
    Sorry for the crappy editing - I'm running back and forth from one end of the house to the other, trying to do this and laundry @ the same time.
    Nifty bit of multi-tasking
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Screwtape Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    They had to make sure they got that Milk movie no one saw in there.

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    Ditto. Milk belongs in the fridge.

. . . . THE ACADEMY AWARD 'NOMINATION' Are In . . .

KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    - Didn't care for The Dark Knight, so not too upset about that . Nice to know the most popular movies aimed at the 15-25 male demo are not necessarily the most nominated, otherwise we'd see the uber-dumb Tropic Thunder nominated for best pic. Though still have to deal with a nomination for Downey Jr.--unbelievable.

- Several nominations for Milk. Sean Penn was amazing, and I never cared for him previously. Amazing. Good movie too, and I actually saw it...

- Mickey Rourke. Dude hasn't made a decent film in a quarter century. Leave it to Hollywood to worship the rehab rejects for no particular reason. Saw Rourke on the Graham Norton show the other day--the man is disgusting. The things he said (and did) to the women on the panel made me gag. If I were Jessica Biel and that idiot were poking me in the vajayjay with his cane he'd have it wrapped around his ugly fucking neck.
    Loser then, loser now.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Tropical Thunder had some funny moments, but an Oscar nomination??

The Visitor was good, but I didn't see any Oscar nomination for the Six Feet Under dad. He was good, but I didn't think it was that good.

What happened to that chick from that British comedy movie, "Happy Go Lucky," she makes a clean sweep of NY Film Critics, Golden Globe (Comedy) and I think even Cannes, and she's not even nominated. Harsh!

Once again, I've not seen most of these films. Doubt was fantastic, but I didn't think either supporting actress was that great, though.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    On a sad note, the Academy once again overlooks the fabulous fifth edition to the Saw series and the wonderful performance by Tobin Bell as the psychologically complex/multifaceted Jigsaw. I thought maybe him narrating it from beyond the grave (for the second time) might give him that little extra to make the list, but I guess it was too competitive a year. He'll end up like Susan Lucci, he'll get the nomination for an inferior performance in Saw XVII when he's narrating from a rusty urn.

Thanks for providing us with this information .. appreciate it.. It's going to be interesting this year..

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    KC I agree about Michael Shannon--he had more than one jaw-dropping moment in Revolutionary Road. I'm really ticked though that DiCaprio was ignored, I thought he was superb (as usual).

FDH--Jigsaw narrating the SAW series from a rusty urn...LMFAO !!!!!! Once again you make my day...

MorbidMolly Guest
    YAYYYYYYY....my Wall-E made it for best animated film.....I luvs me some Wall-E......

angelo's ghost Guest
    For any soap fans out there Melissa Leo ( best actress nom ) was on All My Children years and years ago, late 70's or early 80's. She was Dr.Cliff Warner's kid sister. Why the hell I remember that I have no idea.

GrinReaper Guest
    Since when did a summer blockbuster based on a comic book ever be up for best pic?
    Why should this be any diff?

41. 01-23-2009, 02:03 PM

42. 01-23-2009, 02:07 PM

I'm pulling hard for Winslet to win her first Oscar. She's already won a boatload of awards from everyone else, it's time the Academy got a clue.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    I agree with you Jack, I'm not a fan of Mickey Rourke. Hollywood does worship his kind of story though.
    I'm rooting for Sean Penn or Brad Pitt for BA
    Meryl or Kate for Best Actress
    Heath Ledger for BSA
    Don't care about BSActress
    I don't care who wins Director or Picture but I think Danny Doyle and Slumdog Millionaire will win both.

ChargerBill Guest
    Gran Torino???....anyone??......bueller??....bueller???

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    I saw it you dork.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaDeathHag View Post
    Tropical Thunder had some funny moments, but an Oscar nomination??

The Visitor was good, but I didn't see any Oscar nomination for the Six Feet Under dad. He was good, but I didn't think it was that good.

What happened to that chick from that British comedy movie, "Happy Go Lucky," she makes a clean sweep of NY Film Critics, Golden Globe (Comedy) and I think even Cannes, and she's not even nominated. Harsh!

Once again, I've not seen most of these films. Doubt was fantastic, but I didn't think either supporting actress was that great, though.
    Yes The Visitor was good and Yes Jenkins did get the Oscar nod! He's from my home state! Saw him in Plays at Trinity Rep back in the day..very good actor I think.

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargerBill View Post
    Gran Torino???....anyone??......bueller??....bueller???

I believe this wasn't nominated because of something to do with the release date? Not sure.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Actually Gran Torino was put into limited release in time to qualify for this year's Oscars...guess there just isn't much love for Clint out there this year! It's too bad...his films are always thought-provoking and, well, just plain GOOD.

WriterDude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    I believe this wasn't nominated because of something to do with the release date? Not sure.
    I'm curious about that myself, maybe enough to actually look into it in between chores today. I do know that "Gran Torino" had limited release in LA/NY before Christmas, but is that enough to qualify? Hmm.

pvezz Guest
    Actually Gran Torino was put into limited release in time to qualify for this year's Oscars...guess there just isn't much love for Clint out there this year! It's too bad...his films are always thought-provoking and, well, just plain GOOD.

Thanks, Jack. Hard to believe with all the great things I've heard about the movie. Hasn't the Academy always been somewhat fickle? Didn't they shun Spielberg for the longest time?

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    Thanks, Jack. Hard to believe with all the great things I've heard about the movie. Hasn't the Academy always been somewhat fickle? Didn't they shun Spielberg for the longest time?
    Boy they sure did. But what can you say about an organization that never awarded Alfred Hitchcock an Oscar? (I think he got a special one for his "body of work" but he never won one for best director).
    Lately the academy has gone off on some tangent I can't understand. It's all about 'buzz' now, not quality. I think this will be the first year I actually don't watch, as they've really become almost irrelevant. Sad.