Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6131415

Thread: The Oscars

Cant believe they left Tim Conway out of the memorial.

Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post
    Watched Joaquin Phoenix's speech on the Oscars. Where I live the calves are not deprived of their Mother's milk. The calves are fed. They do not cry for their Mother's milk and if they do they are fed. The extra milk they produce we do use. Umm maybe he could have voiced his opinion on the drug abuse in this country. JMO.
    I thought maybe he would talk about his brother River who
    died in front of the Viper room in hollywood of a drug overdose.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

A lot of diversity this year. Of course they are already whining about who didn't get a nomination and those who did were in the wrong category. Are they never happy? LOL. The only film I saw this year that did get a nom was Mank. I do want to see Promising Young Woman.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    I thought maybe he would talk about his brother River who
    died in front of the Viper room in hollywood of a drug overdose.
    He has before, I guess he feels he doesn't have to speak about it at every event.

I see this year the Oscars will be on 25th of April 2021.
    Will it be in time of covid-19 free?

Last night 93rd Academy Awards on April 25th 2021
    were the lowest seen ever.

Couldn't be bothered watching it in real time, but what I did see later was pretty pathetic.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

I caught glimpses of it on FB. It resembled a dinner club. I guess they had to downsize it due to covid. Don't know about the ceremony.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Didn't catch it for the first time in years. I did see and hope Mank would win. It's also the only film I saw in that category. Guess I'll go check out who won what since I have no idea about that either.

I read they left Chadwick Boseman out of the memorial tribute.

I saw Nomadland, it seemed to jump from one scene to the next without any real structure. Sad story though. Mank was a film I really enjoyed, that would have been my choice for best picture.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I caught glimpses of it on FB. It resembled a dinner club. I guess they had to downsize it due to covid. Don't know about the ceremony.
    Very true, because I watched it. Sad that what the show has become.

and gave up on the Oscars when Crash beat Brokeback and Call Me By Your Name lost

Chris Rock is the best.(that is all)

Chris Rock is the best.(that is all)
    I agree.

Chris Rock handled that situation with class and style. Will Smith and his wife have issues, mostly hers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    Chris Rock handled that situation with class and style. Will Smith and his wife have issues, mostly hers.

I don't blame Will one single bit for slapping Chris Rock.....he should have "given him five across the lips", as Redd Foxx would have said on "Sanford & Son", for talking about his wife. I feel bad for Will's wife because she can't help it that she has a condition (Alopecia) that causes her hair to fall out! Goodness! Do people just not give a damn about each other anymore at all?!?!?!?
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    I don't blame Will one single bit for slapping Chris Rock.....he should have "given him five across the lips", as Redd Foxx would have said on "Sanford & Son", for talking about his wife. I feel bad for Will's wife because she can't help it that she has a condition (Alopecia) that causes her hair to fall out! Goodness! Do people just not give a damn about each other anymore at all?!?!?!?
    I completely understand how Will felt as I experience this of a kind when people insulted my Mexican husband, but violence is never the answer.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I completely understand how Will felt as I experience this of a kind when people insulted my Mexican husband, but violence is never the answer.
    This whole thing was very crazy. (sorry to hear about you're husband.)

This whole thing was very crazy. (sorry to hear about you're husband.)
    It is crazy. And thank you.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Should Chris Rock have said what he said about Jada?, No, Should Will Smith hit him, no, he should have taken him aside and said hey, that wasn't cool what you said about my wife, however Jada came out and talked about it when it was going on, showing off her head, even did a red table talk about it. SHe also laughed when Will hit Chris, not only that but Will was laughing up until he looked over at Jada and saw the look on her face that seemed to say you going to let him get away with that.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    Should Chris Rock have said what he said about Jada?, No, Should Will Smith hit him, no, he should have taken him aside and said hey, that wasn't cool what you said about my wife, however Jada came out and talked about it when it was going on, showing off her head, even did a red table talk about it. SHe also laughed when Will hit Chris, not only that but Will was laughing up until he looked over at Jada and saw the look on her face that seemed to say you going to let him get away with that.
    From what I saw online, a lot of people only found out she had it when this happened and unless you were a fan, it wasn't common knowledge.
    I wonder if they thought initially that he would be applauded/celebrated for it because here was a man 'defending his woman' but it instead backfired. What is surprising is there hasn't been much damage control apart from the initial sorry then the longer post after it was revealed an inquiry was taking place.

23. 04-16-2022, 07:21 AM

Quote Originally Posted by shellc View Post
    From what I saw online, a lot of people only found out she had it when this happened and unless you were a fan, it wasn't common knowledge.
    I wonder if they thought initially that he would be applauded/celebrated for it because here was a man 'defending his woman' but it instead backfired. What is surprising is there hasn't been much damage control apart from the initial sorry then the longer post after it was revealed an inquiry was taking place.
    Will Smith wife is the true villain here. but not as bad as Elon Musk.(that is all)

The 95th Academy Award ceremony held on March 12, 2023

Overall, I thought it ran smoothly and Jimmy Kimmel did a great job. Some things that bugged me:

Alleged singer songwriter Tems in her white gown. What I found annoying, not to mention inconsiderate as hell was all of that gd bridal-like illusion tulle encircling her head like she thought she was some vision in a cloud. I kept thinking about the poor man sitting behind her in the audience who probably couldn’t see a gd thing because of her pretentious couture. Later I saw that it was actually a little Asian lady seated behind her who was no bigger than a 12 year old trying to dodge glances around Tems’ head. Oh, and who didn’t love watching Temt just sir there posing her little ass off like she was all that and a bag of chips.
    What a dumbass !
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53C13502-D9A1-43BB-A7C9-C49BCEEA4148.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	55531

Another thing is that I’m sure every nominee is told in advance, “should you win, you will have 45 seconds to give thanks etc, no more “ so I found it very selfish of some individuals who were part of an ensemble win who then proceeded to take the entire time allotted for themselves so that once one of the others say of a trio got to the microphone it was too late and they were embarrassed in front of everyone. I mention this because I saw it happen 3 freakin times.

Lastly their ‘In Memoriam’ section: the cameraman backed away at one point so you couldn’t even see who the shit they were honoring, let alone focusing on Lenny Kravitz instead (of those who’ve passed away in the past year). Being PC as always they show an actress like Mary Alice whose majority of work was in television over say Paul Sorvino and Stella Stevens both of whom had longer careers in entertainment and in big production honest to god movies. Not right.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F4CC02C0-A54A-4F55-9605-018D69B8F0F9.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	55532 .. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C0D1D455-8777-40F1-A477-B32FCEA780ED.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	55533
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

I think all awards shows should get rid of the "in Memoriam"
    because you will always leave someone out that people love
    and miss.

I think all awards shows should get rid of the "in Memoriam"
    because you will always leave someone out that people love
    and miss.
    If newspapers and magazines can keep a list of celebs who have passed on so can the Academy. They could mention or show film clips or a collage of them all. That said, they may have left Robert Blake and others out due to their criminal or supposed criminal actions.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

The whole thing is political, and being PC. It's all about diversity, and not offending anyone. So most of the wins were PC. I did see the In Memoriam and thought the same thing, a full screen for a TV actress and no mention of Paul or Stella! Mira Sorvino called them out on that. Disgraceful.

29. 03-24-2023, 04:21 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    The whole thing is political, and being PC. It's all about diversity, and not offending anyone. So most of the wins were PC. I did see the In Memoriam and thought the same thing, a full screen for a TV actress and small pictures of Paul and Stella. More then a few people noticed that slight.
    The majority of award shows are cons now with the winners not being those who actually deserved it but rather whose people got there first with the bribes/gifts. For a while a few thought the Oscars were legit but when the Weinstein stuff came out, quite a few voters commented about him 'persuading' them to vote for his films/actors instead of who they actually wanted to.

The majority of award shows are cons now with the winners not being those who actually deserved it but rather whose people got there first with the bribes/gifts. For a while a few thought the Oscars were legit but when the Weinstein stuff came out, quite a few voters commented about him 'persuading' them to vote for his films/actors instead of who they actually wanted to.
    I so agree with this.

Most critics lists prior to the awards said who they thought should or deserved to win. None of their picks won. Post awards here is their breakdown.
    Best Supporting Actress : Jamie Lee Curtis Sentimental Career win. Should have won Kerry Condon.
    Best Supporting Actor: Key Huy Quan PC Comeback win. Should have won Brendan Gleeson
    Best Actor: Brendan Fraser Sentimental Comeback win. Should Have won Bill Nighy.
    Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh PC win. Should have won Cate Blanchett (they were unanimous in that).

Nothing has changed since Harvey, you can still buy, coerce and possibly threaten people to vote for the people "they" want to win.