Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oscars

zack Guest

Oscars,Oscars read all about it

Come on people,who do you wish,hope or think will take the trophy Sunday night.
    Name a movie,and or actor or actress you think should be recognized.
    Ok,mines simple being a Boston knucklehead.I like Christian Bale in the fighter.
    My underdog is Jackie Weaver from the film Animal Kingdom out of Australia- but probably no go.

Colin Firth - The King's Speech - Best Actor
    Jeffery Rush - The King's Speech - Best Supporting Actor
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

zack Guest
    I like it!
    Awesome movie.Great picks.

Giada Guest
    Enjoyed Christian Bale, Geoffrey Rush, Colin Firth. Good films, great actor's.

I'm True Grit all the way ...

Jeff Bridges and Hailee Seinfeld, captivating performances.

(Kudos to Natalie Portman, Melissa Leo and Amy Adams)

Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    Enjoyed Christian Bale, Geoffrey Rush, Colin Firth. Good films, great actor's.

I'm True Grit all the way ...

Jeff Bridges and Hailee Seinfeld, captivating performances.

(Kudos to Natalie Portman, Melissa Leo and Amy Adams)
    Me too... That movie was fantastic and they both deserve to win.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

slw Guest
    King Colin!!

endsleigh03 Guest
    Just saw Christian Bale on the red carpet....his hair looks dirty or overplastered with hair spray.

ajlposh Guest
    Kirk Douglas has been the highlight of the night so far.

DonnaMc Guest
    Reece Witherspoon looked pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaMc View Post
    Reece Witherspoon looked pretty.
    She always does!
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Rhonda Guest
    What is bothering me most about the show (That I am watching as I write this) is the presentors and hosts clapping too near their microphones. SO DISTRACTING!!!!

DonnaMc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
    What is bothering me most about the show (That I am watching as I write this) is the presentors and hosts clapping too near their microphones. SO DISTRACTING!!!!
    I know! And all the lines they have to say when they get there to present an award. Some sound so STUPID.

Nice to see Randy Newman win again. The direction and writing for the Oscar show stink, but what else is new?

radiojane Guest
    Anyone notice that Oprah seems to have the same dress in like 57 different colors?

Loved Kirk Douglas. Best part is still the in memoriam.

ryanolivia Guest
    I love the blue dress Anne Hathaway is wearing right now. It is just so striking. Any idea what the material is?
    Last edited by ryanolivia; 02-27-2011 at 08:23 PM.

YEEEEAAAHHH! Congrats, Natalie Portman! You go, girl!!

As a long-time Nine Inch Nails fan, I personally am utterly thrilled that Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross won Best Original Score for The Social Network, even if the movie itself and David Fincher were unfairly skunked at the end. I can now say truthfully that I've not only met an Oscar winner, but I've been complimented/hugged by one (not at the same time, though).

(It's a long, long story involving a t-shirt I designed for a NIN usenet group 15+ years ago, and another one I did for myself & a couple of friends 2 years ago; if anyone's dying of curiosity, I can post a link for you to photos of the shirts in question.)

My friend Columbine, who was watching the show w/me, says she wishes there was a way she could have taken the clip of Trent accepting his award and shown it to him 15 years go, to see what his reaction would have been. "See, this is what you can look forward to, once you've gone clean & sober and gotten your act together!" I'm just so happy to see him happy and doing so well, I could almost cry.

On a totally different note, it looks like Melissa Leo may never be allowed to live down accidentally dropping the f-bomb on live TV in front of God & everybody the way she did...this is exactly why these shows are put on a 3-second delay!

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanolivia View Post
    I love the blue dress Anne Hathaway is wearing right now. It is just so striking. Any idea what the material is?
    Don't know but Rachel Zoe must be having a proud night.

The children singing at the end was so moving. I loved the diversity of the choir. It makes me believe there is hope for our country after all!

desertangel Guest
    I stepped away from the TV for a very short time TWICE during the whole show and MISSED THE MEMORIAM... which is truly upsetting for a Death Hag, as you can imagine. No TiVo or anything like that and can't find it on YouTube. I am glad to have seen Kirk though... he made me smile and laugh.

ryanolivia Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinTMP View Post
    As a long-time Nine Inch Nails fan, I personally am utterly thrilled that Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross won Best Original Score for The Social Network, even if the movie itself and David Fincher were unfairly skunked at the end. I can now say truthfully that I've not only met an Oscar winner, but I've been complimented/hugged by one (not at the same time, though).

(It's a long, long story involving a t-shirt I designed for a NIN usenet group 15+ years ago, and another one I did for myself & a couple of friends 2 years ago; if anyone's dying of curiosity, I can post a link for you to photos of the shirts in question.)

My friend Columbine, who was watching the show w/me, says she wishes there was a way she could have taken the clip of Trent accepting his award and shown it to him 15 years go, to see what his reaction would have been. "See, this is what you can look forward to, once you've gone clean & sober and gotten your act together!" I'm just so happy to see him happy and doing so well, I could almost cry.

On a totally different note, it looks like Melissa Leo may never be allowed to live down accidentally dropping the f-bomb on live TV in front of God & everybody the way she did...this is exactly why these shows are put on a 3-second delay!
    I thought her f-bomb was totally cute. You can tell sometimes people will just do it to try and get away with it and then it just seems ridiculous. When she did it, it was spontaneous and she was just so excited.

lisalouver Guest
    Melissa Leo is an attractive woman. However, her hair looked like she was out to run errands.

I LOVE Reece, but I was disappointed in her fake I dream of Jeaannie ponytail.

I love when Christian got on the stage and said Bloody Hell!

Seeing 95 year old Eli Wallach walk out on that stage made me tear up.

pvezz Guest
    Here is a link to some great photos from Life Magazine's website.

I don't watch award shows but I did enjoy looking at these. I hate the dresses that Melissa Leo, Zoe Zaldana (sp?), Cameron Diaz, and Annette Bening are wearing. Sharon Stone's is no prize, either -

http://www.life.com/image/first/in-g...sses#index/120

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by desertangel View Post
    I stepped away from the TV for a very short time TWICE during the whole show and MISSED THE MEMORIAM... which is truly upsetting for a Death Hag, as you can imagine. No TiVo or anything like that and can't find it on YouTube. I am glad to have seen Kirk though... he made me smile and laugh.

As horrible a thing as this is to say, It kinda sucked (although the Lena Horne tribute was nice). But other than Hopper and Tony Curtis, (And my fave Richard Culp), not that many names died. Betty Garret was too late to make the cut.

Giada Guest
    Three and a half hours that could have been squeezed into 30 minutes. I too missed the memorial to those in the industry.

Pleased Bale, Portman and Leo won. Enjoyed Firth's role in The Kings Speech, but loved Jeff Bridges in True Grit.

Kirk Douglas, Eli Wallach, older stars who graced the stage was sweet.

Major fail having Hathaway and Franco, "host the scripted event."

sew91472 Guest
    It took some searching, but I think I found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0vA4cv50oQ

STsFirstmate Guest
    I thought the writing for both the presenters and the hosts was better and snappier than usual. I loved Russel Brand and Helen Mirran with the French to English mistranslation.
    We were DVRing the Oscars and switching back and forth between the Knicks Heat game. I was so pleased the Knicks won a real cliffhanger.
    I hated Kate Blanchettes dress but loved the retro vintage one Marisa Tomie (sp) was wearing.
    It was great to see Eli Wallach honored. I also loved Kirk Douglas. He may be impaired but he was still feisty and funny as hell.
    Or as Jimmy Kimmel said he was a combo of Ryan Seacrest and Dick Clark rolled into one only funny.
    The voting went the way we had hoped for almost everything. I would have liked to see Geoffry Rush win but Christian Bales was wonderful.
    regards,
    Mary

Reecy Guest
    I enjoyed seeing Billy Crystal again. He always makes me laugh. He just has to stand there. Kirk was funny as usual always liking the woman.

Natalie Portman - I was rooting for her!

I PVR'd the show and fast forwarded through most of it. It's just too long, I hate the script, and the inane crap the hosts do.

I wish Winter's Bone(specifically John Hawkes) had won *something*, as well as True Grit.

I was happy that Colin Firth and The King's Speech won.

I was torn between John Hawkes and Geoffrey Rush for supporting actor - - they're both favorites.

I haven't seen The Fighter or Black Swan and don't intend to make much effort to do so.

The thing's just too long!

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by madeline View Post
    I PVR'd the show and fast forwarded through most of it. It's just too long, I hate the script, and the inane crap the hosts do.

I wish Winter's Bone(specifically John Hawkes) had won *something*, as well as True Grit.

I was happy that Colin Firth and The King's Speech won.

I was torn between John Hawkes and Geoffrey Rush for supporting actor - - they're both favorites.

I haven't seen The Fighter or Black Swan and don't intend to make much effort to do so.

The thing's just too long!
    Madaline I really liked the fighter.
    They had Lowell nailed and that ain't easy to do. Also I think the woma who played Mark's girlfriend was fabulous and she really had a good handle on a strong tough neighborhood gal.
    I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I now want to see Winter's Bone.
    Black Swan didn't do much for me.
    Regards,
    mary

Found the show very old and outdated.

Next year maybe use some younger hosts
    like Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Giada Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    Me too... That movie was fantastic and they both deserve to win.
    I have both copies of True Grit and the Portis novel on my wish list. The film was certainly worth my temporary obsession and ultimate pleasure.

I found it without fault ... from cinematography to script

Loved Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law together when they presented.

They should host the Oscars next year.
    "I don't want the bodies, just the pictures."
    --Castle

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Mel View Post

From your mouth to God's/the Academy's ears...

[quote=desertangel;1115744]I stepped away from the TV for a very short time TWICE during the whole show and MISSED THE MEMORIAM... quote]

Poor old corey haim didnt have his 5 seconds of memoriam.

*Last year anna nicole (yeah i know ropey for actress but naked gun and a few other movies) and the year before that brad renfro....
    Said it in coreys thread, actors/tress who die from long term drug abuse seem to be left of the memoriam screen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ryanolivia Guest
    [quote=hrhdiesel;1116384]
    I stepped away from the TV for a very short time TWICE during the whole show and MISSED THE MEMORIAM... quote]

*Last year anna nicole (yeah i know ropey for actress but naked gun and a few other movies) and the year before that brad renfro....
    Said it in coreys thread, actors/tress who die from long term drug abuse seem to be left of the memoriam screen.
    On the other hand a well publicized murder seems like it is a golden ticket. I was quite surprised to see Ronnie Chasen in the memoraim. I am pretty sure I have never seen a publicist on the list.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Mel View Post
    Hey I am just excited they made a sequel to Shelock Holmes. I love those guys seperately and together. I am maybe the only person on the plant who loves Sky Pilot and the World of Tomorrow.
    Regards,
    Mary

lisalouver Guest
    [quote=hrhdiesel;1116384]
    I stepped away from the TV for a very short time TWICE during the whole show and MISSED THE MEMORIAM... quote]

I agree hr... its shitty.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post

Ha! Don't give them any ideas. Its only a few steps away from being the Kids Choice awards as it is.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Two of the people in my Dead Pool were on stage.....darn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Ghost View Post
    Two of the people in my Dead Pool were on stage.....darn it.

Were they Zombies? That would be cool.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Katrinawitch Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post

Blasphemy! You jest, I hope!

I think that, while I love Anne Hathaway, and James Franco never fails to bemuse me, they were just a bit too young for the Academy crowd. While hosting awards shows is kind of a thankless job, there have been many greats hosts in recent years who continue to kick butt (Billy Crystal comes to mind), and it's hard to top them.

I was not impressed by Anne Hathaway who tried to hard and James Franco who looked like he was out of it. I would love to see Billy Crystal, Steve Martin or even
    Alec Baldwin host...

Probably like many here the part I most looked forward to was the in memoriam part. I thought it was okay; did seem kinda short. I was a little disappointed by the fact that I was literally the only person clapping when people like Anne Francis, Kevin McCarthy, Patricia Neal, and Robert Culp came up on screen (watched the Oscars with 200 other people in a theater--literally, no one else).

Leslie Nielson and Blake Edwards got a good round of applause.

NO one clapped for Ronni Chasen. Not even me.

The Lena Horne tribute made me tear up a bit. :'(

Oscars 2012 - anyone else watching??

Just wondering if I am the only one watching the big show. Love the excitement of the Oscars. So far Billy Crystal is doing great. Felt sorry for Jonah Hill. He seems like he isn't happy to be there and it could be weight issues again.
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

CORONERGAL Guest
    Heaven....I'm in heaven!! Christian Bale AND Bradley Cooper in the same hour!!! ***swoon***!

Billy Crystal is killing me. They should just have him host every year.
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

Watching online... as I don´t have the channel showing it here i DK... it´s four A.M. here.. but worth it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    Watching online... as I don´t have the channel showing it here i DK... it´s four A.M. here.. but worth it
    Love the hype and I totally buy into all the glam. Even lying in bed here eating potatoe chips. Yeah!!
    Regards,
    Tamie

So far I have only seen 1 of the nominated films - Warhorse. I think I would like to see The Artist for sure. Did you see any of them and what were your impressions?
    Regards,
    Tamie