Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moe Howard

Moe Howard

He is my fave Stooge. What do you think?
    Did anybody in the forum have the chance to meet/see him in person?

Guest Guest
    I think he was my favourite too. Curly seemed a little annoying. Nope, never met him.

On the Howard Stern show last week they played some taped interviews of him from the 70's. He made a very cutting remark about Jerry Lewis's ginormous ego which was quite funny!

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sherry326 View Post
    On the Howard Stern show last week they played some taped interviews of him from the 70's. He made a very cutting remark about Jerry Lewis's ginormous ego which was quite funny!
    Hehe, would love to see that clip!

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    Hehe, would love to see that clip!
    Me too

Long Gone Day Guest
    I think from posts on here I learned how very broke they were at the end. Is that true or am I just thinking I remember reading that. How unfair! I can't believe how much actors, artists, musicians are ripped off. How could you live with yourself after these guys were a part of everyone's memories....How extremely sad. And so many people say that about Jerry Lewis!
    Last edited by Long Gone Day; 08-09-2009 at 04:39 PM.

lane4 Guest
    I missed the show
    But it was Tom Bergeron interviewing Moe when Tom was a teenager.
    I don't see it on youtube yet, but I'm sure it will get posted somewhere on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Gone Day View Post
    I think from posts on here I learned how very broke they were at the end. Is that true or am I just thinking I remember reading that. How unfair! I can't believe how much actors, artists, musicians are ripped off. How could you live with yourself after these guys were a part of everyone's memories....How extremely sad. And so many people say that about Jerry Lewis!
    That's completely true. They didn't get a dime from any of their work being shown on tv.

Guest Guest
    That's completely true. They didn't get a dime from any of their work being shown on tv.
    Bummer! I wonder why not?

lane4 Guest
    Stern & crew were talking quite a bit at how it sucked that they didn't get the $$ they deserved. I heard a clip from either Larry or Moe's son (can't remember which). The son is in his 70's now.

Guest Guest
    Yep that sucked! They worked hard, made millions laughed, then got a bum deal. Sad!

What's truly sad and pathetic is that their studio hid fan letters from the Stooges so they wouldn't know how popular they were.

The Tom Bergeron tapes were awesome. Especially considering Tom was around 16 years old at the time.

Tom found out the Larry was living at the old timers actors home and called him up for an interview. Larry gave him Moe's home phone number.

When Tom called Moe, Moe asked him how he got the number. When Tom said that Larry gave it to him, Moe replied, "Larry", in the old "Why I ought to" voice.

Too fucking funny.

Guest Guest
    Wow - the studio hid their fan letters? Hell, they were treated abysmally!

I think at the time, TV was a pipe dream- thats where the Stooges would have made most of their money- but they didn't have royalties in their contract.

Moe made a stink over it, but was made to feel that he was even lucky to be working- thats why they hid the fan letters.

Its a shame- I loved them when I was a kid and my son like watching them now.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Bidmor Guest
    The reason the studio kept the Stooges in the dark regarding their popularity at the time was because shorts were reliable big profit sources...quick and cheap to churn out as opposed to feature films which cost much more and a large gamble on monetary returns. I understand that profits from shorts usually made up for feature losses at the box office.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Gone Day View Post
    Yes...at least Moe was not broke. He died of lung cancer and was active to the end. Long live Moe!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fool Moon View Post
    What's truly sad and pathetic is that their studio hid fan letters from the Stooges so they wouldn't know how popular they were.

The Tom Bergeron tapes were awesome. Especially considering Tom was around 16 years old at the time.

Tom found out the Larry was living at the old timers actors home and called him up for an interview. Larry gave him Moe's home phone number.

When Tom called Moe, Moe asked him how he got the number. When Tom said that Larry gave it to him, Moe replied, "Larry", in the old "Why I ought to" voice.

Too fucking funny.
    Amazing story. Ha ha saying "Larry" in the old "Wht I ought to" voice.

radiojane Guest
    Jerry Lewis not universally adored? Say it ain't so baby!!

I CANNOT STAND the Stooges. But I do think they were treated deplorably. I do have to wonder (as I do in all these cases), what were THEY thinking??? WATCH your money people!!!! Know what's going on AT ALL TIMES!!

Guest Guest

Moe Howard (June 19, 1897 – May 4, 1975) was an American comedian best known as the leader of the Three Stooges, the farce comedy team who starred in motion pictures and television for four decades. His distinctive hairstyle came about when he was a boy and cut off his curls with a pair of scissors, producing a ragged shape approximating a helmet or bowl.

Moe was born Moses Harry Horwitz in the Brooklyn, New York neighborhood of Brownsville, to Solomon Horwitz and Jennie Gorovitz. He was the fourth of the five Horwitz brothers and of Levite and Lithuanian Jewish ancestry. In his younger years, he got the nickname Moe. Although his parents were not involved in show business, Moe, his older brother Samuel and younger brother Jerome, all eventually became world-famous as members of the Three Stooges.

In school, Moe originally did quite well, aided by a prodigious memory. In later years, this helped him in his acting career, making memorizing his lines quick and easy. Moe loved reading, as his older brother Jack commented: "I had many Horatio Alger books and it was Moe's greatest pleasure to read them. They started his imaginative mind working and gave him ideas by the dozen. I think they were instrumental in putting thoughts into his head to become a person of good character and to become successful."

Although his "bowl cut" hairstyle is now widely recognized, as a child his mother refused to cut his hair, letting it grow to shoulder length. One day, he could not take his classmates' years of teasing any longer, sneaked off to a shed in his parents' back yard, and with the help of a friend and a mixing bowl, cut his hair. Moe was so afraid his mother would be upset (she enjoyed curling his hair) that he hid under the house for several hours, causing a panic. He finally came out and his mother was so glad to see him that she did not even mention the hair.

Moe began to develop an interest in acting and, as a result, his schoolwork suffered. He began playing hooky from school in order to attend theater shows. Moe said, "I used to stand outside the theater knowing the truant officer was looking for me. I would stand there 'til someone came along and then ask them to buy my ticket. It was necessary for an adult to accompany a juvenile into the theater. When I succeeded I'd give him my ten cents — that's all it cost — and I'd go up to the top of the balcony where I'd put my chin on the rail and watch, spellbound, from the first act to the last. I would usually select the actor I liked the most and follow his performance throughout the play."

Despite his decreasing attendance Moe graduated from P.S. 163 in Brooklyn, but he dropped out of Erasmus Hall High School after only two months. This was the end of his formal education. To mollify his parents he took a class in electric shop, but quit after a few months to pursue a career in show business.

Moe began by running errands for no fee at the Vitagraph Studios in Midwood, Brooklyn (currently the home of the CBS daytime serial As the World Turns), where he was rewarded with bit parts in movies being made there. Unfortunately, a fire at the studios in 1910 destroyed the film of most of Moe's work done there. In 1909 he met a young man named Lee Nash who would later provide a significant boost to Moe's career aspirations. In 1912, they both held a summer job working in Annette Kellerman's aquatic act as diving "girls."

Moe continued his attempts at gaining show business experience by singing in a bar with his older brother Shemp until their father put a stop to it, and in 1914 joining a performing troupe on a Mississippi River showboat for the next two summers. In 1921, he joined Lee Nash, who was now firmly established in show business as Ted Healy, in a vaudeville routine. In 1923, Moe spotted Shemp watching the show and yelled at him from the stage. Shemp and Moe heckled each other to a large positive response from the audience and Healy hired Shemp as a permanent part of the act. Next, Healy recruited a vaudeville violinist, Larry Fine, in 1925, to join the comedy troupe, which was billed as "Ted Healy and His Racketeers" (later changed to Ted Healy and His Stooges).

On June 7, 1925, Moe Howard married Helen Schonberger, a cousin of magician Harry Houdini. The next year, Helen pressured Moe to leave the stage, as she was pregnant and wanted Moe nearer to home. Moe attempted to earn a living in a succession of "normal" jobs, none of which was very successful. He soon returned to working with Ted Healy.

By 1930, Ted Healy and his Stooges were on the verge of "the big time," and made their first movie, Soup to Nuts — featuring Ted Healy, and his four Stooges (Moe, Shemp, Larry, and one-shot Stooge Fred Sanborn) — for Fox Films (later 20th Century Fox). Shemp had never seen eye-to-eye with the hard-drinking and sometimes belligerent Healy, and left the group shortly after filming in order to pursue a solo film career. After a short search for a replacement, Moe suggested his youngest brother, Jerome ("Jerry" to his friends, "Babe" to Moe and Shemp). Healy originally passed on Jerry (whom he disliked), but Jerry was so eager to join the act that he shaved off his luxuriant auburn mustache and hair and ran on stage during Healy's routine. Healy hired Jerry, who took the stage name of "Curly."

Healy and the Stooges were hired by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer as "nut" comics, to liven up feature films and short subjects with their antics. After a number of appearances in MGM films, Healy was being groomed as a solo character comedian. With Healy pursuing his own career, his Stooges (now renamed The Three Stooges) signed with Columbia Pictures where they stayed until December 1959, making 190 short films.

With Healy's departure, Moe's character assumed Healy's previous role of the aggressive, take-charge leader of the Three Stooges: a short-tempered bully, prone to slapstick violence against the other two Stooges. In many ways, this was the antithesis of Moe Howard's real personality; he was quiet, loving, and generous to his friends and family. He was also a shrewd businessman, and invested the money made from his film career wisely. However, the Stooges got no subsequent royalties from any of their many shorts: they were paid a flat amount for each one and Columbia owned the rights (and profits) thereafter.

Guest Guest
    In 1934, Columbia released its first Three Stooges short, Woman Haters, where their stooge characters were not quite finalized. It was not a Stooge comedy in the classic sense, but rather a romantic farce; Columbia was then making a series of two-reel "Musical Novelties" with the dialogue spoken in rhyme, and the Stooges were recruited to support comedienne Marjorie White. Only after the Stooges became established as short-subject stars were the main titles changed to give the Stooges top billing. The version seen on TV and video today is this reissue print.

Their next film, Punch Drunks, was the only short film that was written entirely by the Three Stooges, with Curly as a reluctant boxer who goes ballistic every time he hears "Pop Goes the Weasel." Their next short, Men in Black (a parody of the hospital drama Men in White) was their first and only film to be nominated for an Academy Award (with the classic catchphrase, "Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard"). They continued making short films at a steady pace of eight per year, such as Three Little Pigskins (with a very young Lucille Ball), Pop Goes the Easel, Hoi Polloi (where two professors make a bet trying to turn the Three Stooges into gentlemen), and many others.

In the 1940s, the Three Stooges became topical, making several anti-Nazi movies including You Nazty Spy! (Moe's favorite Three Stooges film), I'll Never Heil Again, and They Stooge to Conga. Moe's impersonation of Adolf Hitler highlighted these shorts, the first of which preceded Charlie Chaplin's controversial film satire, The Great Dictator, by months.

On May 6, 1946, during the filming of Half-Wits Holiday, brother Curly suffered a stroke. He was replaced in the Three Stooges by Shemp, who agreed to return to the group until Curly would be well enough to rejoin. Although Curly recovered enough to appear in Hold That Lion! in a cameo appearance (the only Three Stooges film to contain all three Howard brothers; Moe, Curly, and Shemp), he soon suffered a series of strokes which led to his death on January 18, 1952.

The Three Stooges' series of shorts continued to be popular through the 1950s; Shemp co-starred in 73 comedies. (The Stooges also co-starred in a George O'Brien western, Gold Raiders, in 1951.) Moe also co-produced occasional western and musical films in the 1950s.

On November 22, 1955, Shemp died of a heart attack, necessitating the need for another Stooge. Producer Jules White used old footage of Shemp to complete four more films with Columbia regular Joe Palma filling in for Shemp, until Harry Cohn hired Joe Besser in 1956. According to Moe's autobiography, Howard wanted a "two stooge" act, and that it was Cohn's idea, not Moe's, to replace Shemp as part of the act. Joe, Larry, and Moe filmed 16 shorts through December 1957. With the death of Columbia head Harry Cohn, the making of short subjects came to an end, and Howard was forced to take a job as a gofer at Columbia.

Fortunately for the Stooges, Columbia sold the Three Stooges' library of short films to television under the "Screen Gems" brand. With this, the Three Stooges quickly gained a new audience of young fans. Ever the businessman, Moe Howard put together a new Stooges act, with burlesque and screen comic Joe DeRita (dubbed "Curly-Joe" due to his resemblance to Curly Howard) as the new "third Stooge." The revitalized trio starred in several feature-length movies: Have Rocket, Will Travel, Snow White and the Three Stooges, The Three Stooges Meet Hercules, The Three Stooges in Orbit, The Three Stooges Go Around the World in a Daze, and The Outlaws Is Coming.

Moe, Larry and Curly-Joe continued to make live appearances, many notable "guest appearances", notably in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and 4 for Texas. The boys tried their hand at a children's cartoon show titled The New Three Stooges, with the cartoons sandwiched between live action segments of the boys. However, by 1965, the three had aged too much to continue performing slapstick comedy. They did receive royalties from their features with Curly-Joe, and income from the volume of Three Stooges merchandising.

Moe sold real estate when his show-business life slowed down, although he still did minor roles and walk-on bits in movies (Don't Worry, We'll Think of a Title, Dr. Death: Seeker of Souls) and television appearances (Here's Hollywood, Toast of the Town, Masquerade Party, Truth or Consequences and several appearances on The Mike Douglas Show). The Stooges also made several appearances on late night television, particularly The Tonight Show.

The Stooges attempted to make a final film in 1969, Kook's Tour, which was essentially an early "reality TV" show of Moe, Larry and Curly-Joe, out of character, touring the country and interacting with fans. On January 8, 1970, Larry suffered a major stroke during filming, and died on January 24, 1975, at age 72. Moe asked long-time Three Stooges supporting actor Emil Sitka to replace Larry but this final lineup never recorded any material before Moe's death on May 4, 1975, a month shy of his 78th birthday.

Moe and the Three Stooges received a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on August 30, 1983, at 1560 Vine Street. Moe was portrayed by actor Paul Ben-Victor in The Three Stooges, a made-for-TV biopic that focused on trio's years in show business and their off-screen lives.

Moe Howard died of lung cancer on May 4, 1975. He was entombed in Culver City's Hillside Memorial Park Cemetery. His wife died of a heart attack in October 1975 and was entombed next to him.

Moe and Helen had two children: Joan Howard Maurer (born 1927) and Paul Howard (born 1935)

How Howard Stern and Tom Bergeron Brought The Three Stooges to Satellite Radio

SIRIUS XM Radio sends out a lot of press releases and over the years I've become a little desensitized to their numerous announcements. But, a release arrived in my email today which I actually read all the way through. In a nutshell: Howard Stern has brought The Three Stooges back to the forefront - at least on Satellite Radio.

Word of Lost Tapes
    The genesis for this idea and how this special came to be can only be blamed on a perfect storm of two devoted fans and the opportunities available to anyone who controls a Satellite Radio channel named after himself. Apparently, in May 2009 Dancing with the Stars host Tom Bergeron revealed to Howard Stern that as a teenager in the 1970â??s, he had the chance to interview two of the original Three Stooges: Moe Howard and Larry Fine. Bergeron had recorded the conversations although wasn't sure if he knew where the tapes actually were. Stern, a big fan of The Stooges, told Bergeron if he could find these historical recordings, he would create a special to showcase the interviews on one of his channels at SIRIUS XM Radio. Bergeron found the tapes.

Hey: I've Got a Stage, Let's Put on a Show!
    Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney may have had a stage in a barn but Howard Stern has two Satellite Radio channels. That's why "The Three Stooges: Lost and Found Interviews" will air July 31 at 2:00 pm ET on Howard 101. As part of the interviews, Moe and Larry discuss the history of the Stooges plus the Curly/Shemp/Curly-Joe/Joe â??third Stoogeâ? evolution. Larry reminisces about working with Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton and in one surprising moment, Moe takes a swipe at legendary comedians Jerry Lewis and Bob Hope. The interview with Larry Fine was done just months before his death in 1975. In addition to Bergeron's audio, he plays host to some of The Howard Stern Show's best Stooge-themed moments from Stern's personal radio archive.
    For more information, visit www.sirius.com.

BAGOBONES Guest
    I received Moe Howards autobiography as an Xmas present when i was like 10 I think.Great read!
    The Stooges' comedy and short movies never seemed dated or old to me,besides the scenery....I guess because a pie in the face is funny to watch anytime. lol

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BAGOBONES View Post
    I received Moe Howards autobiography as an Xmas present when i was like 10 I think.Great read!
    The Stooges' comedy and short movies never seemed dated or old to me,besides the scenery....I guess because a pie in the face is funny to watch anytime. lol
    I haven't read his autobiography - will have to get hold of a copy

Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post

I CANNOT STAND the Stooges. But I do think they were treated deplorably. I do have to wonder (as I do in all these cases), what were THEY thinking??? WATCH your money people!!!! Know what's going on AT ALL TIMES!!
    Moe did not have financial troubles, he invested all his money.

ChargerBill Guest

BAGOBONES Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    I haven't read his autobiography - will have to get hold of a copy
    I did a quick search and found the book i had by Moe. I lost it through the years....it is the one with the yellow cover.My mother had found it in the bargain books section of a T.G.& Y. store.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/bks/1318422093.html

Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post

I couldn't abide them. Their film short reruns ran opposite The Movie of the Week and I used to get into channel wars with my baby sister over who would get to see the Stooges vs who would watch Movie. She loved the Stoogies and would usually win because she ignored mama's orders to let me see my show, and I was too scared of mama to keep arguing.

However, I do feel sorry for them that they were treated like glorified nobodies, really. I think studios did that to a lot of their actors back then and on up through the years. I've read about a lot of actors even as recently as 20 years ago who didn't receive royalties for their TV shows.
    Last edited by cindyt; 08-11-2009 at 11:47 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BAGOBONES View Post
    I did a quick search and found the book i had by Moe. I lost it through the years....it is the one with the yellow cover.My mother had found it in the bargain books section of a T.G.& Y. store.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/bks/1318422093.html
    Yikes! You reminded me...I own a hard back copy of that book!

stephenmiller Guest
    We also need to thank Moe for inventing the Beatle haircut. He was really ahead of his time there! Moe's the man!!

Bidmor Guest
    the "sugar bowl" haircut?

Nelliebean Guest
    My favorite picure of Moe.
    Last edited by Nelliebean; 08-12-2009 at 09:59 PM.

Long Gone Day Guest
    Ahhh, Nellie, that's a beautiful picture - with his wife. I think that has to be one of the last pics taken of him?

Nelliebean Guest
    I think it is. I'd make the picture bigger if I knew how.

Nelliebean Guest
    Does this make up for it?

36. 08-12-2009, 09:59 PM
    Reason
    shit!

37. 08-12-2009, 10:03 PM

I enjoyed watching all the Three Stooges.
    But Shemp Howard was my favorite.

i don't know all the details,no doubt someone here does,on ronald reagens tenure as president of screen actors guild,when he signed off on some deal that denied royalties for all work done before 1948.
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Marion View Post
    Looks like Moe is ready to take his two fingers and poke
    this interviewer in the eyes.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I remember seeing Moe interviewed on the show "Headshop" which was on Channel 56 - on Saturday nights I believe. Elliott Mintz was the host. Moe seemed delighted that the shorts were so popular, and I was a stunned 11 year old to see that he was NOTHING like the Moe of Stooge fame. He was very softspoken and seemed very much a gentleman.

Of all the stooge gags, nothing to this day beats "They Stooge To Conga" - which features the gag of a climbing spike going right into Moe's head, eye, and ear, making the most awful sound. It's violent and mean, and I don't consider myself sadistic, but boy does that gag crack me up everytime.......

When I was a child remember reading the Three Stooges comic books.
    Thinking back wish I didn't throw them away.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Flmlvr View Post
    I remember seeing Moe interviewed on the show "Headshop" which was on Channel 56 - on Saturday nights I believe. Elliott Mintz was the host. Moe seemed delighted that the shorts were so popular, and I was a stunned 11 year old to see that he was NOTHING like the Moe of Stooge fame. He was very softspoken and seemed very much a gentleman.

Of all the stooge gags, nothing to this day beats "They Stooge To Conga" - which features the gag of a climbing spike going right into Moe's head, eye, and ear, making the most awful sound. It's violent and mean, and I don't consider myself sadistic, but boy does that gag crack me up everytime.......
    Sure, Moe was a nice and kind person in the real life.

lucilleball861911 Guest
    Moe was the strongest of the stooges...after he lost 2 brothers curly and shemp in a 3 year span and still keep us laughing is beyond me... LOVE THE STOOGES

lucilleball861911 Guest
    is this the interview you guys keep mentioning?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-sItuwCK_s

Quote Originally Posted by stephenmiller View Post
    We also need to thank Moe for inventing the Beatle haircut. He was really ahead of his time there! Moe's the man!!
    According to a Beatles album jacket note, the "pudding bowl" haircut dates back to ancient England.

lucilleball861911 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxster View Post
    According to a Beatles album jacket note, the "pudding bowl" haircut dates back to ancient England.
    yeah monks used to have their hair like that. however in the time since ancient and medieval times i cannot recall there being a person with the same haircut as Moe's except for Moe! so he brought it back in a way then the beatles sported the cut so in chronological order it is :

Monks> Moe> Beatles

Forever-27 Guest
    A ways back on Coast to Coast AM Moes daughter was on and she mentioned that it didnt really hot Moe full force that he and the stooges had been fired at columbia until he went in to get final pay. The guard at the gate refused to allow him in to the columbia lot. Moe had known this security guard for years. This was when it hit moe, hed been fired and wasnt coming back. Supposedly he even had tears in his eyes.

lucilleball861911 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    A ways back on Coast to Coast AM Moes daughter was on and she mentioned that it didnt really hot Moe full force that he and the stooges had been fired at columbia until he went in to get final pay. The guard at the gate refused to allow him in to the columbia lot. Moe had known this security guard for years. This was when it hit moe, hed been fired and wasnt coming back. Supposedly he even had tears in his eyes.
    how can anyone be so messed up to Moe??? its taboo

Forever-27 Guest
    Moe and his stooges made names famous for the time. Lucille Ball appeared in I think 2 Stooges shorts.

Also Christine McIntyre beat Shemp senceless who plays a voice instructor in Brideless Groom. She also sang " Lucia Sextet " in Squareheads of the Round table.
    Again she was in Micro-Phonies singing Voices of Spring. Shes long dead today.

lucilleball861911 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Moe and his stooges made names famous for the time. Lucille Ball appeared in I think 2 Stooges shorts.

Also Christine McIntyre beat Shemp senceless who plays a voice instructor in Brideless Groom. She also sang " Lucia Sextet " in Squareheads of the Round table.
    Again she was in Micro-Phonies singing Voices of Spring. Shes long dead today.
    Lucille Ball came out in 1 short only... Three Little Pigskins in 1935 i believe.