Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101118 ... LastLast

Thread: Natalie Wood

Helby Guest
    robert wagner has a new book out...there is a abc news video of him talking about natalies death...
    think this link should work
    http://buzz.yahoo.com/article/1:y_fe...aNdDZa0P8azJV4

LaynesGirl Guest

Bayou Queen Guest
    First post here.

I love your board and the fact that many of you know the older stars and their histories.

I remember when Natalie died, I heard it on a clock radio when I woke up that morning. I heard later that she died while trying to tie up a dinghy and I at first thought she was trying to leave the boat and go on the mainland, but knowing she wasn't dressed properly, this most likely was not the case. I too saw an interview with Wagner today and he speaks of her death.

Just about each time I look at a photo of her, I am drawn to her wrist. I had read her biography many years ago and I remember reading that it was because of an injury. I couldn't remember the exact circumstances so I just looked this up and the following was written by Gavin Lambert who wrote Inside Daisy Clover and adapted it for film and he and Natalie became life long friends. Interesting complete article on her:

http://www.arlindo-correia.com/141204.html

Some of what he wrote:

Maria (Natalie's Mother) would stop at nothing: during the making of a now-forgotten masterwork named The Green Promise, little Natalie was called on to cross a footbridge over turbulent waters. Lambert reports: "Maria knew that the footbridge was timed to collapse; and she agreed that Natalie mustn't be told, because it might frighten her." In the event, the bridge broke, the terrified Natalie nearly drowned and was left with a disfiguring wrist-injury which had to be concealed for the rest of her life.

Throughout the movie, Natalie Wood wears a bracelet on her left wrist, not for any esthetic reason, but because she had injured her wrist on the set of a previous movie, causing an unsightly bone protrusion on her wrist. She wore the bracelet to hide the injury.

After reading that she wore bracelets to hide this injury years ago, as I mentioned above, my eyes are sometimes drawn to her tiny wrist.

Also, I am terrified of water as I cannot swim, but I love vacationing at beach houses and the sound of the waves is the most relaxing thing I can think of.

I enjoy reading your posts and I am fastenated at research and information that you provide here.
    Last edited by Bayou Queen; 09-26-2008 at 06:42 PM.

gemini33 Guest
    I haven't read through this whole thread, so I'm sorry if this has been mentioned. I just read an Ann Rule book "In The Name Of Love And Other True Cases Vol. 4", Well, this guy almost drowned in the exact same spot that Natalie Wood did. His wife said the sound of the ocean and waves were sooo loud, she couldn't hear him scream for help. He made it back on board by himself. I know that a lot of people think that Natalie's drowning wasn't an accident, but this makes sense.

Nicki Guest
    Natalies mother was a real poop!

she was scared of water \ the ocean right?

beatlebaby4 Guest
    yup

I think it was accidental drowning. she was drunk n it was late n stuff. but thats just m.o.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    I don't think she was murdered either. I think they were all drunk, an argument ensued and she went off to bed. The men stayed up and drank some more. The dingy was bumping against the wall where her bed was so she couldn't sleep cuz of the noise and went out to tie the dingy up. Being drunk or tipsy, she lost her footing and fell in. The men who were elsewhere drinking didn't hear her and so she drowned. That's what I think.

not that anyone asked for my opinion lol.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    your opinion is just a valuable as everyone else's

Quote Originally Posted by beatlebaby4 View Post
    your opinion is just a valuable as everyone else's

why thank you

beatlebaby4 Guest

bunny Guest
    I think you are right beatle..I think that it happened the way you said...
    I loved Ms Wood, she was such a pretty lady...

MoonRabbit Guest
    I never knew that Robert Wagner was gay.
    He sure was handsome.
    Last edited by MoonRabbit; 03-15-2009 at 10:39 PM.

MoonRabbit Guest
    I don't think she was murdered either. I think they were all drunk, an argument ensued and she went off to bed. The men stayed up and drank some more. The dingy was bumping against the wall where her bed was so she couldn't sleep cuz of the noise and went out to tie the dingy up. Being drunk or tipsy, she lost her footing and fell in. The men who were elsewhere drinking didn't hear her and so she drowned. That's what I think.
    Who knows? It could have been that too?
    I read that people in other boats heard a woman yelling for help.
    Why no one helped her is beyond me?

Noelle Page Guest
    Yes Beatle, I agree. Natalie was supposedly very emotional, got deeply angry in arguments....she was a diva, god love her. She probably huffed off, all tipsy and "eff them," etc, and ......well.....

Somewhere twixt San Antonio & Corpus Christi
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    Yes Beatle, I agree. Natalie was supposedly very emotional, got deeply angry in arguments....she was a diva, god love her. She probably huffed off, all tipsy and "eff them," etc, and ......well.....
    I always wondered if her death was truly an accident...probably was
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

American Progress

Look, I loved NATALIE, but no question that she was quite the 'histrionic' !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WOOD Margaret Keane April 1960.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	213.1 KB 
ID:	9148   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NATALIE 1964.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	9149   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WOOD LPS.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	9150   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Natalie Wood in periwinkle.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	9151  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NATALIE WOOD 1963.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	9152  
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Noelle Page Guest
    Just thought of something. In Lana's book, she mentions that Natalie was very big on turning her back on people who crossed her. Would just shut you out, a back in your face. That would fit the whole "storming off" scenario.

Just thought of something. In Lana's book, she mentions that Natalie was very big on turning her back on people who crossed her. Would just shut you out, a back in your face. That would fit the whole "storming off" scenario.
    Well weren't her last words to the two actors something to the effect of,
    " RJ, I won't stand for this ! ! " (?)
    (That is) when she allegedly stormed off, out of the 'salon' supposedly to head to the 'stateroom' she shared with RJ.

Tebssis Guest
    Does anyone ever wonder what she would look like today if she hadn't died? She was so beautiful and even as she aged, her skin was always picture perfect. I think she would have been just as gorgeous at 70 even without plastic surgery!
    Thanks for the great pics, Kelt.

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tebssis View Post
    Does anyone ever wonder what she would look like today if she hadn't died? She was so beautiful and even as she aged, her skin was always picture perfect. I think she would have been just as gorgeous at 70 even without plastic surgery!
    Thanks for the great pics, Kelt.
    I think she would have aged gracefully too. What a beautiful lady she was. One of my favorite movies was "Love With The Proper Stranger".

Clip from the film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQUFqEZBgbk

gemini33 Guest
    That would she have been now... 70?? It's a toss up of whether she would have aged gracefully. I heard she was "stuck on herself"... meaning to me she would have had plastic surgery just like everyone else to perserve her youth.

Noelle Page Guest
    Def plastic surgery. Again, going by Lana's book, both girls were raised with utmost emphasis on being "beautiful, glamorous women."

Why am i able to quote Lana wood's book? that's just sad.

Tebssis Guest
    Not sad, Noelle. But sure death haggy!

Had she lived she might well have looked like this once she was in her 80s . . . .

RubySlippers Guest
    i always wanted to pull off a Gypsy-like strip tease for my husband...but i really don't have the guts. i think it is hellasexy...when she is walking across the stage with her fur - "boom, bada boom, bada...".
    FAN tastic.

mcconk2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    i always wanted to pull off a Gypsy-like strip tease for my husband...but i really don't have the guts. i think it is hellasexy...when she is walking across the stage with her fur - "boom, bada boom, bada...".
    FAN tastic.
    hmm I am sure your husband would appreciate that...especially the "pull off"

Tebssis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    Had she lived she might well have looked like this once she was in her 80s . . . .

Kinda what I would expect, 80 but still have the skin of a 60 yr old. Thanks, Kelt.

John Connor Guest
    I watched this film called Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice last night. It's dated but not bad. Natalie Wood was sweet. Great body, so pretty. I wish women still wore false eyelashes like back in those days. Hot.

stinkythejokedog Guest
    Poor Drift

Tebssis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keeunjames View Post
    I watched this film called Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice last night. It's dated but not bad. Natalie Wood was sweet. Great body, so pretty. I wish women still wore false eyelashes like back in those days. Hot.

Some women still do, they have just gotten more natural looking and not as easily detected as back then. I agree though, love the look of all those lashes. Makes a me feel sexy to wear them too.
    Not that I do it very often, takes a lot to put them on.

RogerV Guest

Where was her purse?

Wow... a very interesting thread, and as I was reading it I wondered why I hadn't heard much about the case... I just remember hearing she drowned accidentally, and that was that. Then I looked at the dates; she died on Nov. 29, 1981. My father died on Oct. 29, 1981, so I very much had other things on my mind besides reading the tabloids.

Does anyone know if her purse was found? I ask because no woman goes anyplace without her purse, and she'd have needed cash or credit cards if she really was intent on getting away from the boat. If her purse was still on the boat, along with the fact that she'd have been unlikely to embark on such a trip in her nightgown would tend to indicate she wasn't trying to go ashore. This of course still does not tell us if she fell, or was pushed in.

An Article on her written by Robert Wagner

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...sappeared.html

cherryghost Guest
    Just read that article Wicked! I think the banging of the boat ??? against the side of the Splendor may have been annoying her and she went out to stop it and fell in! Theories abound!

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    Just read that article Wicked! I think the banging of the boat ??? against the side of the Splendor may have been annoying her and she went out to stop it and fell in! Theories abound!
    I remember that theory back when she first died that the banding of the dinghy is what led her out there....

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedkitten View Post
    An Article on her written by Robert Wagner

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...sappeared.html

The photograph included in the artuicle that is supposedly of WAGNER & WOOD from ALL THE FINE YOUNG CANNIBALS is not NATALIE WOOD. The woman shown is SUSAN KOHNER.

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    I remember that theory back when she first died that the banding of the dinghy is what led her out there....

Explains why she did not have her purse with her. I think she had just thrown a coat over her PJ's.

KarmaKat Guest
    This is the theory that I have always liked best. And it makes the most sense in my opinion.
    Maybe its just because I dont want to think Robert or Chris could ever hurt her lol. Actually I dont think they ever could have.

Meli Guest
    Im watching West Side Story as I type this lol. My BFF texted me to say it's on, and that she has always thought I look a lot like Natalie Wood (she has always told me this growing up together, I think she's crazy, but I love her) close enough to be her twin, I wish!!

More Cheese Please Guest
    Great thread... such a beautiful and complex woman...

Reilly83 Guest

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Melicious625 View Post
    Im watching West Side Story as I type this lol. My BFF texted me to say it's on, and that she has always thought I look a lot like Natalie Wood (she has always told me this growing up together, I think she's crazy, but I love her) close enough to be her twin, I wish!!
    She was great in West Side Story and also very beautiful. Her daughter Natasha Gregson Wagner is also a pretty good actress she has been in several movies and looks alot like her mom.

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly83 View Post
    She was great in West Side Story and also very beautiful. Her daughter Natasha Gregson Wagner is also a pretty good actress she has been in several movies and looks alot like her mom.
    Natasha is beautiful as well. Man how time flies. It's hard to believe she is 38 years old now!

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by More Cheese Please View Post
    Natasha is beautiful as well. Man how time flies. It's hard to believe she is 38 years old now!

she looks a lot like her mother. beautiful.

Here's a clip of NATALIE as the 'Mystery Guest' on a spring 1966 episode of tv's
    WHAT'S MY LINE........................?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf1zlqp9PyU

She must've loved that dress because I've seen photographs of her wearing it on other occassions like the LONDON premiere of the film
    FUNNY GIRL 2 years later in 1968. She had to have had the dress altered later too because on the clip above the dress is a good 2,3 inches longer than it was in the picture below from 1969 due to the fact that back in 1966 the women were still wearing the length to just at and just above the knee with the pointy toes stiletto pumps & yet a year or two later (circa '68,'69) those were long out of style with the hem-lengths being shorter and the low heeled square toed slipper styled pumps being the fashion.

lisalouver Guest
    Great pic as always Kelt, thank you!

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest View Post
    The book 'natasha' is a very good biography on natalie wood's life and goes into her death at the end. Good read i thought.

I too think it's very strange how she would have gone in that dinghy in the dark by herself, as she was so terrified of water. Something really doesn't add up there. Apparantly she was wearing a large coat that was pulling her down and she had scratches and cuts that looked to be from clinging to rocks. A lady on a yacht nearby says she heard a woman yelling for help and heard a reply of 'don't worry we're coming to get you' and no more noise after that. I wonder if that's true...
    The man that was driving the Yacht for them (Skipper/Captain?)
    said that the trio was drinking and taking drugs.
    On shore they were partying up a storm in bars.
    One night the skipper even slept on the hotel bed with Natalie.
    She told him he must behave though. Natalie and him were only sleeping.
    Quaaludes were one of the drugs he recalls Robert, Natalie, and
    Christopher were taking.
    When loaded they probably had an argument and Natalie wanted to
    get away because she was angry.
    Drinking and taking drugs might have made her natural fear of the water
    subside.
    I think she slipped into the water and the guys thought she was asleep.
    I think it was a sad accident.

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by More Cheese Please View Post
    Great thread... such a beautiful and complex woman...

One of Natalie's idols was Vivien Leigh.
    Natalie was proud when she once tried on Vivien Leigh's
    dress from "Streetcar Named Desire" and it fit
    her perfectly!
    Last edited by MoonRabbit; 03-15-2009 at 10:44 PM.