Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Dahlia VS Hollywoodland

Black Dahlia VS Hollywoodland

Okay, here is a subject I'm curious about: How did you feel about those two films that were released last year?

star82 Guest
    I was very excited to see the black dahlia. I was very disappointed. Hillary Swank was awful as a villian. I actually liked Hollywoodland. I normally cannot stand Ben Affleck by any means, but he was great as George Reeves. I liked Hollywoodland better.

sweetie103 Guest
    Black Dahlia was ok but I did like Hollywoodland. It was interesting.

Mrs F Guest
    Black Dahlia was a HUGE disappointment. Hilary Swank is not my favorite. I find her annoying. Hollywoodland was good for what it was. Not great, just good.

I didn't care for Hollywoodland - not an Affleck fan, but I thought the woman that played Toni Mannix was great. I just never thought George Reeves was interesting enough to merit a movie. But factually it was tops. They stayed close to the facts.

The Black Dahlia - I saw it twice. I love that period of LA and I saw it again just to see if I could make better sense of it. Someone told me "it could have been called The Hindenberg" - she really was just a backdrop. They did fabricate Beth Short doing stag films (with a dildo, I seem to recall - if I was related to Beth Short - I would sue).

Btvs2678 Guest

Smile

I was disappointed with "The Black Dahlia" movie. I had such I hopes for it. I have been facinated with the murder for as long as I can remember. I even have the pc video game "The Black Dahlia" its a fun game. Hard to find. I wasn't a fan of Hilary Swank or Josh.
    Now, I am a Ben Affleck fan, I agree that there are quite a few movies he has done that aren't very good. I like his Kevin Smith films best. I am not a Superman however, I really enjoyed Hollywoodland. I think it was don really well and I thought Ben did a great job.

Now, mock me if you must about being a Affleck fan.

knothere Guest
    The Black Dahlia was close to the facts but it moved a little too slow. I'd like any movie that offs Ben lol, but like any other place of mystery with celebs I'd like to know what happens, like years later, is anyone living in their homes, do they have creepys that visit them from the past n such.

GODDESS6 Guest
    waited forever for the black dahlia to come out, i like the movie alot in general, tho it seemed to only be a little about the dahlia herself~ i haven't been able to catch hollywoodland from beginning to end, but from what i have seen it looked ok, i love diane lane, her part seemed most interesting~

pinkrose35 Guest
    I did not like the black dahlia movie, I agree it wasn't much about the victim herself, and also I found it to be very slow. Hollywoodland I thought was a better movie and surprisingly Ben Afflack did a good job in my opinion.

erin Guest
    i did not like the black dahlia movie at all. i, too, love that time period in hollywood history, but this movie was so slow, and so fabricated. i was hoping that it would actually be about beth short, herself, not the horny detectives and their whores. i definately didn't want to see how lame hilary swank made her villain character look.

hollywoodland was better. i love how they stuck to the facts, and told george's story as truthfully as they could. i also liked how they gave a couple of different theories on how he may have died. it was also a bit slow, but i liked it much better.

kdeazell Guest

Hollywoodland

Loved it. Course I like Ben too. Was very disappointed in Blk Dahlia but the photography was excellent in BD.
    Kim

towser Guest
    I haven't seen Dahlia, but I thought Hollywoodland was great. I haven't been a huge fan of Affleck, but I think the press is too hard on him in general....I agree that he's made some horrible film choices, but there are alot worse actors out there, and he did a great job in Hollywoodland....I want to see his directorial debut, Gone Baby Gone (Written by the same author that wrote Mystic River).

dec4mmv Guest
    After having read five books on the subject over the past twenty years, I was SO looking forward to The Black Dahlia. After half an hour I actually walked out. Scarlett Johanssen's overracting was bad enough, but with Elizabeth Short herself being, as someone has already said, just a backdrop, I was frustrated. Truly disappointing.

Hollywoodland was enjoyable, though excruciatingly slow. Add me to the "not an Affleck fan" list.

monhol Guest
    i actually liked hollywoodland. the black dahlia was a little dry. i became interested in the black dahlia because my mom had a book of crime stories and elizabeth short was included. i found iot interesting but oh so sad.

Comparing the two - Hollywoodland was better. It stuck to the story/theories and (to me) was a true factual movie. I was really disappointed in the Black Dahlia. I, like most of you, was disappointed that the main story of the movie was the 2 cops and not Beth Short. Also, does the movie have any factual basis for saying she was in stag movies? I know she was a bit "loose", but I've never read about her being in an actual movie anywhere - even though she claimed she was an actress.

erin Guest
    Dec4mmv, I am curious about how you chose your user name. The reason is because there are a few things in it that I relate to.

Lisamarie Guest
    I hated Blackdahlia movie, what a waste of time...Hollywoodland was pretty cool, I love Adrien Brody! I mean wasent suppose to be about Elizabeth Short? And what was the point of the shot at the end with the body on the front lawn..I suppose that was the money shot! I though it was very disrespectful to Beth Short . The way I feel if your going to do a film about the most gruesome crime in Hollywood , it should have been done right. It didnt need to have that stupid side plot....the truth of the womans life and death are amazing in itself....

Sweet Tooth Guest
    Neither one of them flipped my skirt.
    a

dr2red Guest

Hollywoodland was great

Affleck was great as George Reeves, overall a interesting film. I liked Adrie
    n Brody as well.

dec4mmv Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by erin View Post
    Dec4mmv, I am curious about how you chose your user name. The reason is because there are a few things in it that I relate to.
    My wedding date - December 4, 2005 (mmv = 2005 in roman numerals)

I wanted to like The Black Dahlia but it was awful. Josh Hartnett can't act, Hillary Swank annoys me and Scarlett Johansson seemed to sleep walk through the movie. Oh yeah, they mention Elizabeth Short once or twice, I think.

OTOH, I really enjoyed Hollywoodland. I'm not the biggest Afflack fan but I admit he did very well as George Reeves.

BTW, thanks for the forum, Scott.

relander Guest
    Yeah, The Black Dahlia had some of the worst acting ever!

grahamcracker69 Guest
    Black D; loved the book, I was so excited when I heard they where making the book into a movie but as usual, Hollywood screwed up that movie! Hillary Swank as a bi-sexual, didn't buy it! I liked Hollywood land.

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs F View Post
    Black Dahlia was a HUGE disappointment. Hilary Swank is not my favorite. I find her annoying. Hollywoodland was good for what it was. Not great, just good.

Have to agree Black Dahlia was very disappointing. I liked Hollywoodland alot more.

Ms. Black Guest
    I am a HUGE Black Dahlia nut! I love reading about her and I was seriously disappointed with the movie. It wasn't really even about her! It was more about the cops!

Danny62 Guest
    The sex sences were steamy...If I recall.

But it really was a BAD movie overall!!

BelaLugosiIsDead Guest
    Hollywoodland was watchable although the ending seemed rushed and a bit contrived. The Black Dahlia was, as Marlene Dietrich used to say about her bad movies, "an abortion on film". It's too bad because "Black Dahlia Avenger" was a great book and Ellroy's fictionalized version of the events was also a fairly good read. Good thread though.

Marlow Guest

The Black Dahlia Vs Hollywoodland

I thought the first half of The Black Dahlia was good but I kept waiting for the murder. I read the book by James Ellroy years ago and thought I remembered the 'murder' happenning earlier. The 2nd half of the movie was very convuluted...the performances were ok...having said that I thought the costumes and cinematography were excellent.

As for Hollywoodland what is this about facts???? There were a number of 'so called facts' that were NOT TRUE. Reeves appearing as Superman...and drinking!!! TOTALLY BOGUS. The film at the end that shows an out of shape Reeves...struggling...crap. There is a link to the real film if anyone is interetsed. There are many many other examples of fiction in this film.

Now I don't think it was 'bad' film. I never bought Affleck as Reeves...he was trying to sound like Reeves...but he ended up sounding like Ben Affleck sounding like someone else. There was one scene that I liked...the one where he is waving at kids while the adults are laughing at him. Heartbreaking...

I love noir so I was interested...but it was slow at times...Diane Lane was excellent as Toni.

So I guess it's Hollywood by a nose...

Marlow

MPetro108 Guest
    Didn't care The Black Dahlia, did enjoy Hollywoodland.

Bee1001 Guest
    Decided not to watch The Black Dahlia because Josh Hartnett is a horrible actor. Glad I skipped it seeing as how they don't revolve most of the movie around Beth Short anyways. Haven't gotten around to see Hollywoodland yet :P

TrashLikeMe Guest

BD was awful!

Awesome to finally have a board to talk with other hags!

I looked forward to BD... but was horrified with the final movie. I didn't even make it all the way through. To me it seemed like a poorly done tv-movie. The acting wasn't good.

HOLLYWOODLAND was by far a superior film. I have watched it several times. I drive by George Reeves home all the time in my commute to work. I always say hi to him & Sharon Tate along the way.

I think that BD was a huge disappointment. The actual story of the Dahlia is/was really interesting and I think it could have been made into a great movie. Hollywoodland, while I don't think was top ten category, I thought was well done. And hell, it is Superman. What could be cooler than that...well except Batman?

Darrianne Guest
    [SIZE=3]I liked them both - BD was so sad to me....just made me sad. [/SIZE]

Cool HollywoodLand vs Black Dahlia

I was a child in the fifties and remember watching The Adventures of Superman. I was a big fan and was sadden by the death of George Reeve. I was not aware of all the details surrounding his death and of course listened to the rumor/Urban Legend that he thought he really was Superman and shot himself to prove it. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed. I did go to the Internet and other sources to separate fact from fiction but found the movie very informative. Black Dahlia would have been a better movie if it had focused on that case.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Layla331 Guest
    Black dahlia really interests me..but i just couldnt get into the movie..i tried like 2 times...and i still have hollywoodland dvr'd and have to get to it..

If I had to pick, I'd say Hollywoodland was better, but I think that Ben Affleck and Adrien Brody are cute, and Diane Lane is gorgeous.

I can't stand Josh Harnett- he reminds me of the kid from the Roseanne show, I really can't stand Scarlett Johanssen (I just don't think she's that great looking), and I REALLY can't stand that other guy- the other detective- name is escaping me at the moment. The cast was annoying and the movie was boring.

I was really disappointed, because I really find Hollywood at that time to be fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post
    If I had to pick, I'd say Hollywoodland was better, but I think that Ben Affleck and Adrien Brody are cute, and Diane Lane is gorgeous.

I can't stand Josh Harnett- he reminds me of the kid from the Roseanne show, I really can't stand Scarlett Johanssen (I just don't think she's that great looking), and I REALLY can't stand that other guy- the other detective- name is escaping me at the moment. The cast was annoying and the movie was boring.

I was really disappointed, because I really find Hollywood at that time to be fascinating.
    I've never really thought about it but your right about Josh Hartnett. He does look like the kid on Roseanne, in kind of a creepy way. The other actor is Aaron Eckhart. I've seen him in other movies and liked his performance, but he stunk in this one. For that matter I've seen Hartnett give better performances also. BD was just a bad movie.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I agree with my fellow death hags...Hollywoodland was by far the better film...I think it was also easier to relate to because most of us watched George Reeves on TV at some point...reruns or whatever...

Isn't the house Reeves lived in relatively close to the Tate house?...I remember it being nondescript, but close to that...

JeffD Guest
    Hollywoodland is much better, imo.

Black Dahlia seems to drag on and fails to keep your attention. Plus, it tries to utilize every crime film noir cliche, gimmick and stereotype.

The actress who played the rich mother lady was excellent though, imo.

Noelle Page Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dec4mmv View Post
    After having read five books on the subject over the past twenty years, I was SO looking forward to The Black Dahlia. After half an hour I actually walked out. Scarlett Johanssen's overracting was bad enough, but with Elizabeth Short herself being, as someone has already said, just a backdrop, I was frustrated. Truly disappointing.

Hollywoodland was enjoyable, though excruciatingly slow. Add me to the "not an Affleck fan" list.

I just love your avatar....A Summer Place is one of my favoritest films ever.

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dec4mmv View Post
    My wedding date - December 4, 2005 (mmv = 2005 in roman numerals)
    i was gonna ask the same... i got the 2005 part, so i was pretty proud of myself.... my bd is dec 4!!!

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Layla331 View Post
    Black dahlia really interests me..but i just couldnt get into the movie..i tried like 2 times...and i still have hollywoodland dvr'd and have to get to it..
    same here.... tried to watch it twice on HBO on demand.... didn't even make it to any Hilary Swank scenes either time... i didn't even know she was in it! i agree... it could have been called boxing hollywood dicks....

haven't seen hollywoodland... had never heard of it till this thread! lol!

I did not care for the film "Black Dahlia", "Hollywoodland" was a much better film I thought

Jaxxx Guest
    Sorely disappointed in BD but Hollywoodland was good, not great but good. I remember when George Reeves died, everybody was stunned.

I didn't like the Black Dahlia either. Too many vague storylines. I did try to see Hollywoodland, but I fell asleep on the couch. Had nothing to do with the film itself, but I was really tired

hoxharding Guest
    I read the book the movie 'The Black Dahlia' was based on-the book was better. Hilary Swank was so miscast. I didn't finish watching it-I found it dull as watching paint dry.
    Hollywoodland was better,but I had trouble with the fact Adrian Brody's character was fictional. I can see why they might of done this,but I just didn't like that. Especially when they show the fictional character's family.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I thought Black Dahlia was over the top camp, and not on purpose. In a few years, it might end up the latest in the line of Valley of the Dolls, Mommie Dearest, and Showgirls. No, it was that campy! And I love DePalma also, but this was so de-railed by bad casting, a bad script, laughable lines and plot, everything you need for high unintentional camp.

When Swank hooks up with the fat butch in the girl-scout outfit at the "seedy motel" you know you're watching the right movie. You can try to watch the movie for drama up until then, but that's the scene that lets you know what you're really watching. And the ending was laughable.

Watch it again for laughs and you'll actually have fun and enjoy it.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I was surprised, Hollywoodland was actually watchable despite Afflick's presense. He usually ruins anything he's in. It was no Chinatown, but it's good for one watch. It's not "DVD-collection" material, though. It's worth the price of Pay-Per-View.

I haven't seen a good period piece of old Hollywood in quite awhile. I didn't even like L.A. Confidential that much, the feel-good crap ending ruined it. It sets the negative/corrupt tone of Chinatown, but ends all nice. Wrecked it. The dark-haired guy and Crowe should have died in the shoot out and Kim forced back into prostitution. With that ending, it would be guaranteed to become a classic, now it's just a marginal flick with a supporting Oscar performance, no more, no less.

panda Guest
    I thought Black Dahlia was terrible, could barely watch the whole thing. Have not seen Hollywoodland yet.

i thought "the black dahlia" was going to be about beth short, but it wasn't really about her at all. HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT. i haven't brought myself to watch "hollywoodland" yet, i'm afraid it might suck too.
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"