Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891017 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Lady of the Angels school fire

NOW I have to think of the surviving family this person left behind--- they have suffered terrible untimely bereavements in the last couple of years, like the OLA families. Having had a few of those myself, it makes me sorry for my damnable curiosity and wanting to protect them.

Whatever their progenitor did or did not do (and I still need more proof it WAS him), and even whether or not they knew about it, THEY do NOT deserve to suffer for it, in the event somebody is tempted to contact them. IF you use the same clues and come to the same conclusion, PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT THEM!!!!! EVER!!!!!! (I cannot stress this enough!)

HE has long been beyond the world's judgment, alas. Sometimes the bad guy gets away with it, AND leaves blameless descendants in his wake.

I am now in a moral quandary. A quagmire, actually.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    NOW I have to think of the surviving family this person left behind--- they have suffered terrible untimely bereavements in the last couple of years, like the OLA families. Having had a few of those myself, it makes me sorry for my damnable curiosity and wanting to protect them.

Whatever their progenitor did or did not do (and I still need more proof it WAS him), and even whether or not they knew about it, THEY do NOT deserve to suffer for it, in the event somebody is tempted to contact them. IF you use the same clues and come to the same conclusion, PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT THEM!!!!! EVER!!!!!! (I cannot stress this enough!)

HE has long been beyond the world's judgment, alas. Sometimes the bad guy gets away with it, AND leaves blameless descendants in his wake.

Although I agree with you that any family he may have left behind had nothing to do with his crimes (except for possibly the parents) finding information that is available on the internet is available for anyone and that information can be used any way someone would want to.

While I cannot imagine that any one on this board has any reason to contact any of his family members (what for?) it certainly is within anyone's prerogative to do so.

If indeed he was guilty (and people have been crucified with far less evidence) he will never escape judgement.

Linnie, I can't thank you enough for stressing the need for people to avoid contacting the man's relatives. They can't help what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post

"What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Wow! This thread has really exploded in the last couple of weeks. I too am very curious about the identity of the arsonist, and if anyone would care to PM it to me, I promise to keep it to myself. Regardless, nice detective work!

i dont think i could ever contact a person of interest in a crime, nor their family. sometimes it's just a sort of closure to know who did it, and finding out info on that person. i don't know the guys name, and i don't need it. but i understand why people would want to know. the story feels whole that way.

I have no intention on contacting the family. Like Linnie said. It's not their fought that it happened.
    Last edited by Dr. Fishhead; 08-05-2012 at 01:40 AM.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

Quote Originally Posted by toddmanning View Post
    I have no intention on contacting the family. Like Linnie said. It's not their fought that it happened.
    Of course. We ,here at FAD, know that contacting a family member is absurd. We do this research for ourselves & other members who are passionate about a particular topic. If a loved one chooses to contact us, then they would be welcomed with open arms & compassion.
    I do my research, really, because I almost feel a love & connection for the victims of such tragedies. Truly, I feel that if I were a family member of one of these tragedies ( See station fire lol) It would be heartwarming that someone is remembering my loved one & the unnecessary event that claimed their life. Not too many forums discussing events from years ago.

They are not forgotten.
    Last edited by LLC; 08-05-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Timeo Vitae Guest

Well put LLC. Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by LLC View Post
    Of course. We ,here at FAD, know that contacting a family member is absurd. We do this research for ourselves & other members who are passionate about a particular topic. If a loved chooses to contact us, then they would be welcomed with open arms & compassion.
    I do my research, really, because I almost feel a love & connection for the victims of such tragedies. Truly, I feel that if I were a family member of one of these tragedies ( See station fire lol) It would be heartwarming that someone is remembering my loved one & the unnecessary event that claimed their life. Not too many forums discussing events from years ago.

They are not forgotten.
    Excellent post LLC.

Beverly Burda ("Lisa" in Michelle McBride's book)

Since Beverly Burda was mentioned not too long ago, I found some information in Michele McBride's book about her. Burda and Valerie Thoma ('Helen" in the book) were the only fatalities in Room 211. Speaking of the fire, McBride wrote:
    "I coughed and cried as my legs grew hotter. There was a girl named Lisa begging for air so I let her take my place at the window. I was so tired and it was a struggle to change places with her. She pounded on the pile of people forced into the opening and she managed to squeeze her way to the window but soon gave up her place to another hysterical student. Lisa stood by me and screamed and cried, "Help, let me out!"
    Michele tells of the fire bursting into the classroom and the horrifying image she saw:
    "A bright, orange doll appeared and curled up in the most grotesque manner. The straw doll and I were falling and the room was getting smaller and smaller, but the monster on my back was still devouring the skin off of my body.
    I screamed.
    The 'straw doll' was Lisa. The monster on my back was fire."

Valerie Thoma ('Helen' in the McBride book)

Valerie Thoma and Michele McBride were good friends. Thoma suffered head injuries when she jumped from Room 211 and was very badly burned. As Michele McBride slowly improved, Valerie didn't respond well to treatment and was in a slow decline. Mc Bride wrote that she knew her friend was dying and said that she thought that Valerie was aware of her life winding down.Attachment 42985
    "I watched you die through hallways and doors ajar. Our rooms were connected by an adjoining bathroom and I could peek at you while you slept...The glow of the light swept across the beige concrete floor, casting shadows on the wall, until your electric Stryker frame looked like two, huge, hula hoops hinged together, with you in between.
    I think we both knew you were dying, and neither of us wanted to admit it. I kept asking the nurses, and it always hurt to hear of your slow decline. I overheard the nurses telling the doctors on their morning rounds of your progress...I remember clearly the last time you spoke to me. During all those months in the hospital you and I caught little glimpses of each other, but never said anything to each other...You said, "Hello" in a tiny voice. You looked like a cocoon all tied up in your electric Stryker frame with sheets and blankets wrapped about you and your head peeking out. Your face was so pink, and your hair was tied in pigtails."
    McBride tells of struggling to sit in a chair:
    "I was holding tightly to the arms of the chair. You bent your head to one side and spoke to me in a low voice, saying, "I wish I could do that." Michele compared her friend's body to "a savage red open sore."
    "One day I heard a ghastly, inhuman, growl-like sound coming from you and I wondered what was being done to you."
    Valerie's death:
    "Today it was different. I could tell by the rushing footsteps and the spinning emergency cart wheels that there was danger on the floor-your death was imminent. The hospital's paging system called for doctors; student nurses ran down the hall; then I heard the shrill cry of your mother. You were dead!"
    Last edited by Alanwench; 08-05-2012 at 06:16 PM.

William Edington, Jr. Room 211

Attachment 42986Edington was the last of the children to die. He passed away August 29, 1959, having never left the hospital. William was burned over 80 percent of his body, 63 percent of those burns were third degree. When his father asked why he stayed in the burning classroom so long, he replied that he was trying to help some smaller students get to the window. Edington recalled by that time, flames were coming out of the cracks between the blackboards.
    His father believes William had a premoniton about his death or saw some sort of vision:
    "While I'm in the room, Bill says, "Give me the rosary!" I asked him why. He said, "Hurry up, gimme the rosary!" So I gave him the rosary and he started to pray. I looked into the room next to him. The guys in the next room hear him and got out of their beds and knelt down to pray for him.The nun also rushed in and was kneeling and praying. What William saw, I don't know. Maybe he had a premonition of his death. But he says to his nurse, Miss Dalton, "What's heaven like?" And she says, "Oh, it's beautiful." He says, "I'm going to find out."
    Michele McBride celebrated her birthday on the same day as William and a bakery made a huge pink and blue cake for them. He is identified as 'Gary' in her book.
    "It was funny to have our birthdays in hospital rooms and announced over television. The impact of seeing this boy, almost totally burned, and yet so uncomplaining, made a great impression upon me as it did everyone else. I have always felt fortunate to have known him. I could see the outline of his body, but there was no skin on it. His face was beautifully intact as his spirit must have been."

Attachment 42992 I think I've found a picture of Valerie Thoma in the Stryker bed. She also had head injuries in addition to terrible burns.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure that's Valerie.

Omg. The last 5 posts make me want to sob. "The monster & the straw doll", William's face being beautifully intact, the horrible sound coming from Valerie...Valerie looks barely alive in the photo, if at all...

Timeo Vitae Guest
    Thanks Alan for posting all of that. And the info of Beverly. It makes me wonder about the description of her whereabouts during the chaos in the room. Some friends of hers put up things on the message board at the oLA site about how Beverly thanked them calmly for allowing her to get to a spot at the window to breathe. I also wondered of Gerry Andreoli's (the two were sort of boyfriend-girlfriend at the time) description of her on the floor with her white sweater turning black......when this happened in correlation to Michele's description of events. I've also wondered who the parents were that would approach Michele on the street afterward, though not all were so belligerent to her. God!

As for Valerie Thoma and Billy Edington, I couldn't imagine sticking it out in the hospital like that day after day after day...for months, enduring so much, only to succumb. Michele's book stated that she wasn't given any kind of pain killers. It's awe inspiring to know that these kids went through this. It makes me appreciate Michele McBride's book even more--AND appreciate what I have. Everytime I feel like grumbling about something in life, I think of this fire....and of The Station and I immediately shut my trap.

Here is a Class of '59 photo from the school. Notice how horribly dwindled down it is compared to the other graduating classes. Billy Edington is there, since this went out for May-June of that year. Michele is wearing her glasses.

http://www.olafire.com/ClassOf1959.asp?S=L (Larger)

Last edited by Timeo Vitae; 08-06-2012 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeo Vitae View Post

As for Valerie Thoma and Billy Edington, I couldn't imagine sticking it out in the hospital like that day after day after day...for months, enduring so much, only to succumb. Michele's book stated that she wasn't given any kind of pain killers. It's awe inspiring to know that these kids went through this. It makes me appreciate Michele McBride's book even more--AND appreciate what I have. Everytime I feel like grumbling about something in life, I think of this fire....and of The Station and I immediately shut my trap.

Here is a Class of '59 photo from the school. Notice how horribly dwindled down it is compared to the other graduating classes. Billy Edington is there, since this went out for May-June of that year. Michele is wearing her glasses.

No painkillers? Omg.

I gotta get the book.

So freaking sad to see Billy in the grad pic.

Terribly sad. Billy was a very handsome lad.

Quote Originally Posted by catlady1962 View Post
    Terribly sad. Billy was a very handsome lad.
    I was thinking that too...gorgeous.

I would never contact the family at all. Never was my intention. Thanks Alan for those posts, good work!

You're welcome. Thank you so much for posting the graduation photo. I know what you mean about grumbling about something and then thinking about what the badly injured students went through. As of last Friday I have a severely sprained back and was feeling sorry for myself because I can't drive. Then, I thought about Michele who was allowed only aspirin for her severe burns.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeo Vitae View Post
    Thanks Alan for posting all of that. And the info of Beverly. It makes me wonder about the description of her whereabouts during the chaos in the room. Some friends of hers put up things on the message board at the oLA site about how Beverly thanked them calmly for allowing her to get to a spot at the window to breathe. I also wondered of Gerry Andreoli's (the two were sort of boyfriend-girlfriend at the time) description of her on the floor with her white sweater turning black......when this happened in correlation to Michele's description of events. I've also wondered who the parents were that would approach Michele on the street afterward, though not all were so belligerent to her. God!

Thanks, pksgigi. I still wonder about the accounts of other fire survivors who recall Beverly Burda being calm and Gerry recalling that her sweater was turning dark. Maybe he got out before she was affected by flashover temperatures. Since Valerie and Beverly were the only fatalities in that classroom, I have to think that Beverly was indeed the "straw doll" Michele mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by pksgigi View Post
    I would never contact the family at all. Never was my intention. Thanks Alan for those posts, good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    You're welcome. Thank you so much for posting the graduation photo. I know what you mean about grumbling about something and then thinking about what the badly injured students went through. As of last Friday I have a severely sprained back and was feeling sorry for myself because I can't drive. Then, I thought about Michele who was allowed only aspirin for her severe burns.
    Only aspirin? *faints.

Thanks, pksgigi. I still wonder about the accounts of other fire survivors who recall Beverly Burda being calm and Gerry recalling that her sweater was turning dark. Maybe he got out before she was affected by flashover temperatures. Since Valerie and Beverly were the only fatalities in that classroom, I have to think that Beverly was indeed the "straw doll" Michele mentioned.
    The straw doll reference just kills me.

Timeo Vitae Guest
    Sprained back Alan? Ouch! I hope you feel better sooner than later and that you're back in tip top shape soon. Not being able to drive and I assume not being able to walk puts you in a pretty grim spot for a while. I really hope you improve soon.

Yeah, the logic in one girl never leaving the room alive making 'Lisa'- Beverly is evident. Which is why I'm sure there was more that Michele saw in the room that day, but kept things out to protect the families. But if what Gerry had stated about the last moments of room 209 is true & Michele saw her dear classmate on fire and drop, that means Beverly was alive and conscious when Gerry saw her on the floor and told her he was getting out of there. The course of events though were never clear. Just a horrible shame all around. I, as a parent, would be crazy knowing everyone in the room, but my daughter got out. I'd be frantic to know what happened. I know Sister Davidis- Devine kept in touch with Beverly's parents for years after the fact and even out lived them both.

I still give these kids and teachers as well as the families so much credit for going through this experience.

ouch Alan hope you get better. Yeah I think the straw doll was Beverly as well.

babyblujems Guest
    This story has gotten to me since the first time I read about it here on the message boards, I think tonight is the night I will finally get up the courage to read TSWTA while I am at work. I would like to know the identity of the little arsonist if anyone is willing to PM me with this information I will be eternally grateful.

One Happy Story from OLA

Thanks for the get well wishes, it's frustrating to be stuck at home, but it isn't forever. According to Michele McBride's book, the doctors were hesitant to put burned patients on heavy painkillers, fearing they would become addicted to the strong meds.

Now, on to the happy story. On the day Gerry Andreoli (Class of '59) was finally leaving the hospital, his father suggested that they visit another OLA student who was hospitalized for a severe hip injury, a broken ankle and burns. Gerry met Irene Mordarski (Class of '60). They had a common bond in sharing the disaster and eventually began dating. Gerry and Irene were married in the Our Lady of the Angels Church in the early 1970s. They have four children. Gerry is a successful chiropractor and looks out for Irene. She has to buy shoes in two different sizes due to one foot being 'shrunken' smaller than the other due to her injuries. Her hip will always give her problems, but Gerry had their house designed to facilitate Irene's household chores. They live in a well-to-do section of Chicago
    Attachment 42998

Thanks for the get well wishes, it's frustrating to be stuck at home, but it isn't forever. According to Michele McBride's book, the doctors were hesitant to put burned patients on heavy painkillers, fearing they would become addicted to the strong meds.

Now, on to the happy story. On the day Gerry Andreoli (Class of '59) was finally leaving the hospital, his father suggested that they visit another OLA student who was hospitalized for a severe hip injury, a broken ankle and burns. Gerry met Irene Mordarski (Class of '60). They had a common bond in sharing the disaster and eventually began dating. Gerry and Irene were married in the Our Lady of the Angels Church in the early 1970s. They have four children. Gerry is a successful chiropractor and looks out for Irene. She has to buy shoes in two different sizes due to one foot being 'shrunken' smaller than the other due to her injuries. Her hip will always give her problems, but Gerry had their house designed to facilitate Irene's household chores. They live in a well-to-do section of Chicago
    Attachment 42998
    Who cares if they became addicted, deal with an addiction later if need be, they were in agony then. My god.

And I'm so thrilled about Gerry & Irene! Awesome.

Sorry about you back AW. Get well my friend.

Thanks, LLC, resting for a week or two should help, according to the doctor. I agree, the burned children should have been allowed pain killers. Not only were they told to forget about the fire and not discuss it, there was a mindset of don't cry and ignore the pain, too. Easy for people to say who weren't suffering at the time!

That is what upset me, they were told don't talk about it and don't cry. They weren't even given therapy sessions.

Mark Stachura, 9 years old, Room 210 Sr. Seraphica

According to To Sleep With the Angels, Mark told his father that he was afraid of the school catching on fire since it was an old building. Mark's dad reassured him that he would be OK and that if the worst happened, they lived so close to the school that he would be able to save Mark. Mark's mother had taken a seasonal job with a department store the day of the fire. When she heard several sirens, she clutched at her crucifix. She reassured herself that everything would be OK. She, her husband and Mark's siblings were going to see Santa in the department store that evening.
    When the fire was taking place, Mark's dad rushed to get a ladder. He propped it up by the classroom window, but it was too short. He saw Mark at the window and tried to get his attention. Mark wouldn't jump. Then the room flashed over and the area where mark had been standing had flames shooting through the windows. Mr. Stachura dropped to his knees with his arms still stretched out as if to catch his son.
    Mark's mother updated the story when the 50th anniversary of the fire came about. She said that Mark had received a statue of the Infant Jesus of Prague for answering some questions correctly. He was very proud of the statue and was waving it for his father to see. It isn't known if Mark was so excited that he didn't notice the fire or if he just froze in place due to fear. Mark was identified by some school notebook papers in his trousers. After the fire, one of the nuns gave Mrs. Stachura a replacement statue. She still has it and wants to be buried with one of Mark's shirts when she dies.Attachment 43002

I have been all over this the past 24 hours. I hadnt gotten on this thread before I knew it was about children that passed, and I had been trying to stay away from stories like that.. it made my depression worse. I click on the thread yesterday and havent been off since. I even dreamed of fires and in my dreams i was recalling reading this thread and what to do to get away from the fire.

All your information from everyone is great. I agree with someone else here in the beginning of the thread that said, I would hate for any of you to go looking for me.

Such a horrible story. The stories like the man and woman who eventually got married is wonderful to hear. Im off to read more. I cant get off this now. I have a friend that lives in Chicago too, I may be having her take a drive soon LOL

I have a question, if anyone knows...

In the boy's confession http://www.olafire.com/Confession.asp He says that when him and his friend were walking back to school after lunch, he tells the boy that he has matches and he should burn down the school so they wouldn't have to go for a while, did this boy ever corroborate this? Did they ever talk to this kid?

The way I interpreted the confession was that the boy who set fire to the school had created a persona to deflect the blame from himself. My belief of this comes from one of the men doing the investigation. He felt that the boy's 'friend' was the boy himself. The man told the boy something along the lines of "I don't think there's another boy." After that, the young arsonist confessed.
    I'm so sorry that my postings made your depression worse. That wasn't my intention. This story does tend to get imbedded in your mind. Please be careful if you drive through the area where the 'new' school is located. Some people from Chicago who post at the OLA website stress that the neighborhood hasn't changed for the better and is very dangerous even in daylight. Maybe it's slowly starting to change because the OLA church has been restored to its former glory and the priest there is anticipating people coming to church services.

Quote Originally Posted by BelleRain View Post
    I have a question, if anyone knows...

In the boy's confession http://www.olafire.com/Confession.asp He says that when him and his friend were walking back to school after lunch, he tells the boy that he has matches and he should burn down the school so they wouldn't have to go for a while, did this boy ever corroborate this? Did they ever talk to this kid?

Memorial by OLA Church Rectory

Attachment 43006 This memorial by the rectory is physically close to the site of the fire. It was added a few years ago, and is the first outdoor memorial on site.

Happy Reunion in Hospital

Attachment 43007 Mrs. Gallo embraces her son, Frankie, after finding him in the hospital.

Timeo Vitae Guest
    Alanwench, you are the the 'MASTER' of this thread and thank you for starting it in the first place. I'm so glad a lot of people remember this as it is too important to just toss aside as time passes on. Also, Alan, you've brought up some positive things from this. Especially of Gerry and Irene. Excellent!

You're 100% right about the boy manufacturing a 'friend' to fix the blame on. He developed his own 'Tyler Durden' and used it until he was caught in his lie. It was probably the closest the kid came on record to feeling guilt about....'staring just a little fire so that we all could have a few days off of school'.......

By the way, Alan, since you're up as late as I.....you must be in terrible pain. I hope you're managing well. But it is nice to see someone else up this late.....and continuing this thread. Feel better pal.

I'm so sorry that my postings made your depression worse. That wasn't my intention.
    No... totally not your fault, or your posts. I meant stories of children killed in general. I was staying away from stories like that. I was doing alot of research on court cases and just reading all the horrible things done to children, and it put me in such a funk. BUt thank you for your nice words. I love your posts. This has gotten me so hooked. Im now all over the forum on the OLA site. REading how the members there are in a certain cliche circle, and they are a bunch of bullys LOL

Ill tell ya what I could blame you for though, Alan... I am sitting here reading all about this eating cookies, when I should be in bed. LOL So Thanks!!!

Timeo Vitae Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BelleRain View Post
    No... totally not your fault, or your posts. I meant stories of children killed in general. I was staying away from stories like that. I was doing alot of research on court cases and just reading all the horrible things done to children, and it put me in such a funk. BUt thank you for your nice words. I love your posts. This has gotten me so hooked. Im now all over the forum on the OLA site. REading how the members there are in a certain cliche circle, and they are a bunch of bullys LOL

Belle, when I was first looking up the Irioquois Theater fire, I saw the OLA book To Sleep With The Angels...and I refused to click the link because it was about scores of children just going off to class. Then a few years later I click on a different link about the Zeebruggee (sp?) ferry link and see the photos of a few children from OLA and the fire and that was the end of it.....I couldn't shake this tragedy from my mind. Horrible! HORRIBLE!! And to think how many people covered it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was even more outraged at the way the city and county dealt with it at the time. It just seemed that the poor innocents of this fire kept getting 'screwed' over and over!

I cant believe nothing was done to this kid. He KILLED 92 kids and 3 nuns. or was it 92 total.. but still its not like there wasnt much damage, and no one was injured. I understand to not have his family take on his guilty-ness..but they should 've done something back then.

kmgt Guest
    Hey there. I don't post much but read often. I'm currently reading TSWTA and am about 85% done with it. Great book!

Anyway, my question is...The book talked a lot about media/photography presence. That there were pictures taken of everything like the open books on the desks. And it mentioned media being in closed court proceedings. Where are all these pictures? I've seen most of what's on the OLA website, but I would think there's be a lot more of the "aftermath".

kmgt Guest
    Ok, nevermind, I found them (the after ones, inside the rooms). Sorry about that!

Thanks for the kind words, Timeo. The pain was terrible last night/early this morning. The muscle relaxant and Tramadol finally allowed me to get some sleep. Once I heard about the OLA fire, it haunted me. There are so many stories and, at least IMHO, the children who died, the children who survived and the nuns who died should never be forgotten.
    The elementary school I attended looked quite a bit like OLA. There are, no doubt, several thousand or more old schools like that. I easily recall the varnished woodwork, the wooden floors and no fire doors whatsoever. Thank God a new elementary school was built about six years ago, so kids don't have to go to that old fire trap anymore.

Another aspect about this fire that blows my mind is the fact that the surviving children were told by their teachers that the victims were special and were chosen to be angels. That's a horrible thing to tell kids! It sounds like "Only the good ones were taken and you kids are worthless."
    I also discovered that kids had to go back into the burned out school to retrieve their coats, which never lost the smell of smoke. What were these people thinking? My God, the kids saw the overturned desks, papers and personal effects and no doubt re-lived that hellish experience!
    It didn't end with that discovery. Some members of the Archdiocese wanted the school repaired instead of spending lots of money for a new school. Finally, someone stood up to them and said that there is no way that a child could possibly learn in that atmosphere. Imagine survivors going into the same building where so many of their friends and their teachers died. Those kids might have been traumatized for life! Then, to make matters worse, when the surviving students were sent to other schools, they had to line up in front of the burned out school to wait for the buses.

And so once again, I trot out my "WTF is WRONG with people???? Kids not given pain meds, not being able to speak about the fire, no counseling, wanting them to go back to the school, etc. Honest to God, had everybody lost their minds or were they just horribly cruel????

Alan: hope your back gets better soon. (Did I already send you this wish? CRS is kicking in, on top of, "I'm too lazy to look upthread." Anyhoo, get better soon!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

They went back in to get their coats. O.M.G

torqueflite Guest
    Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and to findadeath, which I just discovered while doing my usual search on the Our Lady of the Angels School fire. I've followed the OLA site for about five years. You'll note there is less and less posting, in part because most of the information was posted by survivors, families, friends, witnesses, and alums early on, and now also because the site now includes a private board just for them. So be sure to mine the Personal Stories and archives for information. It's an incredible compendium of first-person accounts. If you're hooked, I understand that. I've been obsessed with the story for years. Nice to make your acquaintance btw.

Quote Originally Posted by torqueflite View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and to findadeath, which I just discovered while doing my usual search on the Our Lady of the Angels School fire. I've followed the OLA site for about five years. You'll note there is less and less posting, in part because most of the information was posted by survivors, families, friends, witnesses, and alums early on, and now also because the site now includes a private board just for them. So be sure to mine the Personal Stories and archives for information. It's an incredible compendium of first-person accounts. If you're hooked, I understand that. I've been obsessed with the story for years. Nice to make your acquaintance btw.
    Welcome Torque!

Welcome Torque

Alan, Im sorry I didnt realize last nite you were having back problems.. I do remember reading it up thread.. anyways, I really hope your feeling better. Ive tried tramodol, it didnt do didly squat for me. Back problems are hard to take care of. Hope your feeling better soon.

How horrible to hear from the nuns, people kids would look up to at that time, that they are survivors because they were good enough to die. Jeez... not only are they feeling they arent worth anything, but that they would be worth something if they died in the fire..Wow. How horrible. And ya the meds, because they were afraid of addictions..O M G>.. So why have pains meds in the first place. Wow!!