Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678916 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Lady of the Angels school fire

I don't know why she has an unmarked grave, but the OLA memorial at Queen of Heaven Cemetery was dedicated in 1960, according to the OLA webpage.

Quote Originally Posted by catlady1962 View Post
    I still do not understand why Mary has the only unmarked grave. One should have been provided by either OLA or the archdiocese. Maybe her family did not want one?

When was the OLA memorial dedicated at Queen of Heaven? It is spooky that all of the children buried near the base have the
    exact same markers. Makes me wonder if those plots and markers were paid for by OLA or the archdiocese. And wouldn't it have seemed more fitting for the the nuns to be buried near the majority of their students at that cemetery rather than at Mt Carmel?
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by pksgigi View Post
    Yep a lot of questions, someone mentioned to me that maybe the boy burned the school and the church was covering it up and not have his name known is because maybe he was molested at the school by someone, and they were afraid he would squeal... Thus why his name was kept out of things. don't know if that could be true but just a theory
    Or maybe the little masturbating pervert was molesting other children!

I know his ssn number and where he lived Hacienda Heights, Los Angeles, California P.A.P are his intials
    Sure hope you can track down an obit. I noticed ancestory.com has his parents and spouse listed as "private". Even in death his family closes ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    My fondest memory of my lovely cousin was when she told me that she was going to go to Lake Geneva with my girlfriend and me, and I told her that she was a little girl and could not come with us. Well, needless to say she came with us and we had a great time. We played miniature golf and soaked up the sun. When we were heading back home she looked at me and said "did you ever have any doubts that I would come with you, after all you are my favorite cousin and I love you." She was such a sweet and lovely little girl that knew how to charm everyone she came into contact with. Our family was very blessed to have had her for the short time that we did. God gave us an angel for 10 years.
    Another memory I would like to share is a time when Annette came to visit. She asked my father if she could have this white stuffed cat. What my father failed to tell her was that it was mine, given to me by a boyfriend. When I found out he had given it to her, I remember asking her for the cat back. She came over to me and placed her hands on my face and said, "but you know that you want me to have it because you want to share it with your favorite cousin, who you love very much." Now how could anyone refuse that. Another memory I have is of Annette and her brother, Sam, sitting on the floor with a picture album. She was telling him who all of the people were in the photos. For the ones who had passed away she would tell him about them and say that they were with God now, but that they still looked out for all of us. I believe that was the only time that I saw her brother Sam sit still for any length of time. She even knew how to charm him.
    -- (Antoinette Fabiani, Cousin)

When Annette was in the 3rd grade and I was home on leave from the Navy, she asked me if I would come to school that afternoon because she wanted her classmates to see her brother in uniform. What I didn't know was, I was to be her topic for show and tell.
    -- (Brother)
    I really did not know my aunt Annette, but the stories of the fire is all I ever heard about. I know none of the children deserved to go through this tragedy. But we all know that they are in a better place. In the recent past my Father has been keeping me updated on what had happened. Like this web page for one. It ills me to know that there are people in this world that do horrific things to innocent people. Even in this day in age we have the same kind of tragedies. Some get solved, others are just put away in a file. I am glad that this web site is here. It keeps everyone that is involved, directly or indirectly, informed. Thank you DAD for making me aware that I had a sweet Aunt. Now she is one of the angels that are probably looking down on me and my daughter Rachel day to day.
    -- (Daniel LaMantia, Nephew)
    Annette was just the most beautiful girl. I remember her telling of her trip to Arizona, she spoke of how large her sister's bedroom was, being larger than the classroom. She told us this just before the fire. I found out from the LaMantia's that this was the trip she took for her sister's wedding. I still miss her and I guess I always will. Always, John.
    -- (John Raymond, Friend)

Attachment 42971

Reading all that about her kills me inside. She sounds like she was such a sweet little girl. If you've seen my PM Alan. You will know that the bastard who set the fire. Was classmates with Annette in the 3rd grade.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

Toddmanning, you inspired me to try to find the pic and info. about Annette.

Quote Originally Posted by toddmanning View Post
    Reading all that about her kills me inside. She sounds like she was such a sweet little girl. If you've seen my PM Alan. You will know that the bastard who set the fire. Was classmates with Annette in the 3rd grade.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HistoryBuff View Post
    The LOA tragedy had a very personal meaning to me, but not for the reasons you might imagine. My birthday is December 1. I had turned 12 on that day in 1958 and, for the first time in my life, was going to be allowed to have a birthday party. Nothing big or lavish, like today's kid celebrations, but I had been looking forward to it for weeks. When my mother picked me up that afternoon at my suburban Chicago school, she told me my party was cancelled because "children are burning up in a Chicago school". In one way, there wasn't really any surprise that she found a way to again destroy any pleasure I had been anticipating. She was my very own Mommie Dearest. But, in a weird way, I somehow managed to carry a feeling of personal guilt with me for years afterward. Like the coincidence of the date should have made me share the horror rather than just lose the only birthday celebration I would ever have been allowed.

I've never talked to anyone about that day, and its aftermath for me. Reading this thread just compelled me to finally put it out there. Thanks for listening.
    History buff I feel for you! I had both a Mommie Dearest and a Father Dearest. Very difficult to live with parents like this.
    Only my mother is still alive. She is a nice/nasty. Nice one minute nasty the next. Parents like this sure make one feel like dirt.
    "Children are burning up in a Chicago School"? Really nice. I can relate to that one!

"He" is also in this pic at the new school right before he transferred. He's first row by the blackboard towards the back of the pic. And, there's a girl with shoulder length hair standing next to him. My mother even said he looked 'like a soul-less piece of shit'

http://www.olafire.com/Room309_1960Class.asp?S=L

MoonRabbit Guest
    I know his ssn number and where he lived Hacienda Heights, Los Angeles, California P.A.P are his intials
    Wow! I lived there once! I wonder if he was there at the same time? I was there for about 2 years.

Toddmanning, you inspired me to try to find the pic and info. about Annette.

She was such a beautiful child. God rest her soul.

Yo. Moon Rabbit. Want a PM from me with more info?

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    Try here to find her. I can't tell http://www.olafire.com/VictimGallery.asp?Room=212
    Old post. But, it looked to me like the girl being carried out had short blonde hair and was a bit chubby. Seems to me that if I had to pick anyone out of that group pictures...It would be Carolyn Perry.

I really wanna see Angels Too Soon. But I cannot find it on YT. If someone finds that or Hellfire from The History Channel anywhere online. Please PM me.

"He" is also in this pic at the new school right before he transferred. He's first row by the blackboard towards the back of the pic. And, there's a girl with shoulder length hair standing next to him. My mother even said he looked 'like a soul-less piece of shit'

With the classmates he didn't kill. Great find, Todd!

I also found out more info. Apparently. He had a grand-daughter that died in a rock slide accident at the age of 11.

Angels Too Soon is available from WTTW for $25 including shipping. I am on the fence about ordering. Would love to see it, but seems like alot of $$

I'm broke as hell.

Or else I'd totally order it.

Totally wish I could find it on Youtube.

Lemme tell you all something uber weird. IMO.

Last night when I was going uptown for some cigs. I had just gotten off this thread right before I left.

The radio station I have it set to in my car. Played "Burning Down The House" by The Talking Heads, and then played Journey's "Lights"

Jon Cain from Journey was in the OLA fire.

I just thought it odd.

This one gets me every time the anguish on his face as he is carrying that lifeless body out.

My fondest memory of my lovely cousin was when she told me that she was going to go to Lake Geneva with my girlfriend and me, and I told her that she was a little girl and could not come with us. Well, needless to say she came with us and we had a great time. We played miniature golf and soaked up the sun. When we were heading back home she looked at me and said "did you ever have any doubts that I would come with you, after all you are my favorite cousin and I love you." She was such a sweet and lovely little girl that knew how to charm everyone she came into contact with. Our family was very blessed to have had her for the short time that we did. God gave us an angel for 10 years.
    Another memory I would like to share is a time when Annette came to visit. She asked my father if she could have this white stuffed cat. What my father failed to tell her was that it was mine, given to me by a boyfriend. When I found out he had given it to her, I remember asking her for the cat back. She came over to me and placed her hands on my face and said, "but you know that you want me to have it because you want to share it with your favorite cousin, who you love very much." Now how could anyone refuse that. Another memory I have is of Annette and her brother, Sam, sitting on the floor with a picture album. She was telling him who all of the people were in the photos. For the ones who had passed away she would tell him about them and say that they were with God now, but that they still looked out for all of us. I believe that was the only time that I saw her brother Sam sit still for any length of time. She even knew how to charm him.
    -- (Antoinette Fabiani, Cousin)

When Annette was in the 3rd grade and I was home on leave from the Navy, she asked me if I would come to school that afternoon because she wanted her classmates to see her brother in uniform. What I didn't know was, I was to be her topic for show and tell.
    -- (Brother)
    I really did not know my aunt Annette, but the stories of the fire is all I ever heard about. I know none of the children deserved to go through this tragedy. But we all know that they are in a better place. In the recent past my Father has been keeping me updated on what had happened. Like this web page for one. It ills me to know that there are people in this world that do horrific things to innocent people. Even in this day in age we have the same kind of tragedies. Some get solved, others are just put away in a file. I am glad that this web site is here. It keeps everyone that is involved, directly or indirectly, informed. Thank you DAD for making me aware that I had a sweet Aunt. Now she is one of the angels that are probably looking down on me and my daughter Rachel day to day.
    -- (Daniel LaMantia, Nephew)
    Annette was just the most beautiful girl. I remember her telling of her trip to Arizona, she spoke of how large her sister's bedroom was, being larger than the classroom. She told us this just before the fire. I found out from the LaMantia's that this was the trip she took for her sister's wedding. I still miss her and I guess I always will. Always, John.
    -- (John Raymond, Friend)

Attachment 42971
    Alan, it's sad reading all these. No telling what kind of lives the dead would have had if they had lived. If only someone had stopped that little bastard or if He was kept home from school that day.

This one gets me every time the anguish on his face as he is carrying that lifeless body out.

I wonder what PAP thought over the years whenever he saw this pic! Heartbreaking!

Sure hope you can track down an obit. I noticed ancestory.com has his parents and spouse listed as "private". Even in death his family closes ranks.
    I hear you I was looking up his info and using some information I got even that is telling me has no info, I am like how the heck could that one bit of info you get at birth or later on and have to have the rest of your life, not have any information connected to it.

Todd look at the kid first row three seats back . No smile or expression on his face......if I didnt know the little bastard i would say that something was up with this kid

Angels Too Soon is available from WTTW for $25 including shipping. I am on the fence about ordering. Would love to see it, but seems like alot of $$
    i would love to have it as well but like Todd money is tight .

Lemme tell you all something uber weird. IMO.

Last night when I was going uptown for some cigs. I had just gotten off this thread right before I left.

The radio station I have it set to in my car. Played "Burning Down The House" by The Talking Heads, and then played Journey's "Lights"

Jon Cain from Journey was in the OLA fire.

I just thought it odd.
    Creepy

I wonder what PAP thought over the years whenever he saw this pic! Heartbreaking!
    He probably got pleasure out of it. Hell he was masturbating with a picture of the Kennedy's standing by their christmas tree that was lit up. No telling what he would have done at seeing that picture. (info from TSWTA)

Timeo Vitae Guest
    I'm wondering if firehouses kept records of their interviews/calls dated that far back AND if his mother's name is in her records of employment. She had been employed at Northlake and the step-father as an assembly-line worker at an electronics manufacturer. The mother and step-father married in 1959 so I'm wondering about census and tax info too.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeo Vitae View Post
    I'm wondering if firehouses kept records of their interviews/calls dated that far back AND if his mother's name is in her records of employment. She had been employed at Northlake and the step-father as an assembly-line worker at an electronics manufacturer. The mother and step-father married in 1959 so I'm wondering about census and tax info too.
    I wondered that as well.

He probably got pleasure out of it. Hell he was masturbating with a picture of the Kennedy's standing by their christmas tree that was lit up. No telling what he would have done at seeing that picture. (info from TSWTA)
    Wanking to the Kennedy's? That's fucking insane.

By the way Wanking to the Kennedy's would be an awesome band name.

Timeo Vitae Guest

**I was thinking the same damn thing. Quick, © while you can.........

Are you saying his mother worked at the fire dept? Anyone know if she or the step-dad are still alive?

he probably got pleasure out of it. Hell he was masturbating with a picture of the kennedy's standing by their christmas tree that was lit up. No telling what he would have done at seeing that picture. (info from tswta)
    tswta?

Timeo Vitae Guest
    Are you saying his mother worked at the fire dept? Anyone know if she or the step-dad are still alive?

Nope cat, just wondering about firehouse logs AND of his mom's employment history. Northlake was the name of the company where his mother was employed at the time most of these fires occurred. He was only enrolled at St. Attracta for two months. His public school record in Cicero started in March 1961. I remember reading somewhere that she had attended OLA as a kid for a time and had relatives in Chicago.

State testing on this little prick gave him an IQ of 110. Placing him in the bright category. John J. Cogan was part of the kid's defense team. What pisses me off is that at the time, the kid was a minor and under the state crime code, could not be convicted of the crime (even though he admitted to it off the record).

tswta?
    To Sleep With The Angels. It's a book about the Fire.

Nope cat, just wondering about firehouse logs AND of his mom's employment history. Northlake was the name of the company where his mother was employed at the time most of these fires occurred. He was only enrolled at St. Attracta for two months. His public school record in Cicero started in March 1961. I remember reading somewhere that she had attended OLA as a kid for a time and had relatives in Chicago.

State testing on this little prick gave him an IQ of 110. Placing him in the bright category. John J. Cogan was part of the kid's defense team. What pisses me off is that at the time, the kid was a minor and under the state crime code, could not be convicted of the crime (even though he admitted to it off the record).
    Wow good info...

i would love to have it as well but like Todd money is tight .
    Money is tight. But I want it. I deserve it. I ordered it!

To Sleep With The Angels. It's a book about the Fire.
    Duh! I ordered it a couple of days ago. Wish I could have it this weekend.

Timeo Vitae Guest
    Thanks pksgigi butyour researchhas left me far behind. I think I log in to findadeath more than I should just to see what new info you've been able to find.

And prosecution mainly just wanted the boy's name to be on record as having committed the atrocity.

Timeo Vitae Guest
    Also, according to the message boards on the OLA site, you can find a photo of the monster and his step-dad on ebay and his mother on facebook.........

Money is tight. But I want it. I deserve it. I ordered it!
    Let me know how it is! Yeah I'll have to save up for it, knowing my luck it will be discontinued before I can get a copy.

Thanks pksgigi butyour researchhas left me far behind. I think I log in to findadeath more than I should just to see what new info you've been able to find.

And prosecution mainly just wanted the boy's name to be on record as having committed the atrocity.
    Thank you.! Yes they did and the Church didn't want it be on any record , afraid his family would be harassed and the bastard as well.

Also, according to the message boards on the OLA site, you can find a photo of the monster and his step-dad on ebay and his mother on facebook.........
    oh really? will have to check into that.

Wow, miss a couple of days on here and you miss a lot! This thread has gotten some awesome info lately!

luckyinlove Guest
    An IQ of 110 is in the average range. Just an FYI.

Any idea why he was only enrolled in St. Attracta's for 2 months? How long did he stay enrolled at OLA?

Unreal. This was a huge coverup... wasn't it? Ugh. Now he'd be all over the tv and news.

lisalouver Guest
    You guys are tenacious as hell - I am LOVING all the info!

I also found out more info. Apparently. He had a grand-daughter that died in a rock slide accident at the age of 11.
    That must be the person I was trying to research, then.
    Because I found the same stuff-- (presumably) a son who died aged 24, and the young girl.
    She and her mother posted on the young man's obituary page, and I Googled their names, and that's when I read about her well-publicized accident.
    They both seemed to have been very nice young people too, what a darned shame!
    They did not get to enjoy much of life, while their (presumed) reprobate father-grandfather at least had almost 56 years, and was long gone by the time he would have had to ponder if this was some cosmic payback for his (alleged) evil deeds.
    The mother-grandmother must have been the stronger influence on the kids, thank Whoever.
    Last edited by Linnie; 08-04-2012 at 08:09 AM.

Timeo Vitae Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyinlove View Post
    An IQ of 110 is in the average range. Just an FYI.

'Placing him in the bright category' is right from the book To Sleep With The Angels. Ha Ha, though I feel that sometimes I am neither, I know bright and genius are two different things.

Timeo Vitae Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    That must be the person I was trying to research, then.
    Because I found the same stuff-- (presumably) a son who died aged 24, and the young girl.
    She and her mother posted on the young man's obituary page, and I Googled their names, and that's when I read about her well-publicized accident.
    They both seemed to have been very nice young people too, what a darned shame!
    They did not get to enjoy much of life, while their (presumed) reprobate father-grandfather at least had almost 56 years, and was long gone by the time he would have had to ponder if this was some cosmic payback for his (alleged) evil deeds.
    The mother-grandmother must have been the stronger influence on the kids, thank Whoever.

Linnie, todd, wow! Could you PM me with some of your info/research when you get the chance? You're both much faster and thorough than I. What a great job! I just can't shake this story. There are just so many tragic spin-offs from one single action so long ago.

Timeo Vitae Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LLC View Post
    Any idea why he was only enrolled in St. Attracta's for 2 months? How long did he stay enrolled at OLA?

Unreal. This was a huge coverup... wasn't it? Ugh. Now he'd be all over the tv and news.

Don't know. I'm going to try to do a bit more searching. Perhaps someone from the old neighborhood might let us know??? No pressure. And I understand if no one would want to.

oh really? will have to check into that.

Could we get some links on all the great info? Sure would appreciate it!