Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Murder of Robbie Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by KellyB View Post
    I'm sitting here reading your story and it brings me to tears. First of all I want to thank you for posting the story. I too have been looking for it for quite some time now. I haven't reread it but will after posting this message. I also believe this story saved and changed my life in so many ways. I read it when I was 12 and at the time had been being severely abused by my step-monster and raped by my step-brother. I prayed to God asking what I had done for him to abandon me. I cried myself to sleep every night. I wanted to die and if I'd had the guts probably would have killed myself. I will not go into detail about my abuse, I am saving it for a book one day but I will say after reading Robbie's story I actually felt better about my situation but sadly a little envious that he was no longer suffering and I still was. I too am 44 years old now and have 5 children 3 of which I gave birth to and 2 I inherited with my second marriage and would never dream of abusing them. I have been away from the abuse for nearly 30 years now but still have nightmares about it today. I also became an avid reader to escape my horrible life which is how I came across this story. I have been telling it ever since and will continue to until I no longer am able. I really do not have to reread it because I remember almost every detail. I want to say that I have been happily married now for 13 years and although it took me until my thirties I have finally taken away most of the power from my abusers. I am a social worker now and will spend the rest of my life helping people and doing whatever I can to protect children from being abused. I have learned that God was always with me and I suffered in order to be able to do what I do today. I have not totally forgiven but I will always try, I am human. If I can give anyone reading this a little advice it is 1. To forgive-How can any of us expect to be forgiven for the wrongs we commit if we can't forgive those who have committed wrongs against us? 2. Don't quote me on this one but I believe it is a sin to rehash wrongs against us. If it's not it should be because all it does is give power to the people who hurt us. Plain and simple STOP TAlKING ABOUT IT to everyone and anyone who will listen. Ever wonder why no one wants to talk to you, it’s because you are depressing. Trust me I was that person. The less you talk about it, the more you forget about it and the easier it is to forgive. Take your negative energy and use it towards something positive like helping those who are suffering now. There is absolutely no excuse for abuse of any kind. We will all eventually pay for our wrongs and that some how comforts me but also scares me because I know I am far from perfect. I rarely ever see my step-brother but when I do it makes me sick and I see my step-monster on a more regular basis and she acts like nothing ever happened which also makes me sick. I doubt I will ever get an apology but it wouldn't change or take back what she did to me and my siblings. Thank you again for your story and to all those who have the strength to read things like this and do something about it. Never be "The Chapmans’s” the couple in the story who were afraid to report something that they weren't sure of. It's better to report it and be wrong than not and have a child die. I told everyone what was happening to me and no one did anything. I pray for every child’s sake YOU are not that person who looks the other way. IT IS YOUR BUSINESS, DO SOMETHING!!!!
    I did the same thing, became an avid reader to escape a living hell. You have to talk about it, granted not 24/7, but talking about it is healthier than bottling it up. Have you seen a therapist? Therapy is immensely helpful.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

Quote Originally Posted by ParrothedKay View Post
    Was Robbie Wayne the little black boy who was hanged (not killed but more like "hanged upside down) in a closet among his many other tortures?
    I believe that child's name was Lattie McGee. One of the most horrifying cases you'll read about.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick SKillet Mayhand View Post
    I believe that child's name was Lattie McGee. One of the most horrifying cases you'll read about.
    You are correct. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...y-wrists-scars
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Lattie was 4. Robbie was 6. May they both rest in peace, free from their tormentors.

"I just go here!"

crystasheart Guest
    Hello and I am not sure if you are still looking for this story and its subsequent article, "Who Mourns for Robbie Wayne", but I have both stories. The original story was sent to me from my sister-in-law in the 1980's. I was going to transcribe the story into my computer, but I had to move really quickly and that story and the follow up story are in my storage unit waiting for me to unpack. I did find the context of part of that story available on the Internet. The two ladies that transcribed could not make out the end of the original story. I have the ending and would happily share it with you if you are interested.

That story Murder of Robbie Wayne, Age 6" is the catalyst that propelled me to start a website for child abuse awareness, prevention and stopping child abuse. That story catapulted me in the direction of creating a nonprofit organization that is an outreach to all abused children by giving them a rag doll with an unconditional replacement guarantee. My passion is to save children, animals and he elderly from abuse in all forms. My mai page for that business is on Facebook now. I walk through the process of starting a nonprofit organization that will help abused children.

Please let me know if when I am able to unpack my storage unit, you would still like the story. My ex-husband found the stories at the library in the old Reader's Digest section. He then made copies of both stories and I have the original of both stories. Hi and by the way my name is Elaine

Hi, Elaine! I for one would love to read them.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

I would also appreciate these-- I have the (unfortunately) shortened version (I used to have the original RDs, but they are long gone.) Leaving my email in your message box. Thanks in advance!

The Murder of Robbie Wayne

The full article is here at link in post:

(Also the original RD magazine is scanned)

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
    I wasn't even a teenager when I read this article sometime in the early 1980s. However, over 30 years later, I remember it clearly.

I even remembered his name after all those years - Robbie Wayne. Some time ago I figured it would be easy enough to find that article on the internet somewhere, but was surprised to find that it had almost entirely disappeared.

Not only did I want to read the article again, but I wanted to do something to ensure that it wasn't forgotten or erased from history.

I ended up buying a November 1980 copy of Reader's Digest on eBay US, and had it sent to me here in Australia. I have scanned the pages and used optical character recognition software to convert it all into text.

http://www.phil.net.au/robbie_wayne

I read everything yesterday and this story haunted my dreams last night. I wanted photos of the family yesterday but now I'm sort of thankful that I don't know what he looked like.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

texasguy008 Guest

The Murder of Robbie Wayne, Age Six

I read this story when I was in the 5th grade and am also looking for it. I know it's been 9 years since you posted this, but am curious to know if you ever found it. Reading it as a 10 y/o, the story haunted the heck out of me and though I haven't thought about it in almost 40 years, i want to read it again. The only thing I can remember is that the stepfather's name (and the killer) was Dowd (or Doud?) and the mother's name, I think, was Lana. Amazing I can remember those stupid, minute details from a story I read once at the age of 10, but as a 47 year-old, I can't remember what I did this morning...LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamma View Post
    Hello my fellow Death Hags,

I'm on a quest to find this short story, published in the November of 1980 Readers Digest, entitled "The Murder of Robbie Wayne, Age Six". The short story was written by author Mary Chambers, and received awards shortly after it's publication.

I have already contacted Readersdigest.com, and this back issue is no longer available. I have been searching all over the web (including Ebay) for a copy of this publication (which I would gladly pay for) but no luck.

So I'm sending out this request that if any of our members may have this story available in their "collections", please contact me if possible. This is a tough issue to find, and I've even scoured the local book stores and thrift stores looking for this such issue and story. No luck.

The story is based on a young child who was abused to death my his mother and father (step father, I think?) It's an awful, tragic story, but it's never escaped me. Several months after it's publication, Readers Digest did a follow up called "Those Who Mourn for Robbie Wayne", but I have found nothing online where I could locate it.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give, and if you've heard of the story, please share. It's similar to "A Boy Called It", with about 25-30 years difference. Also, in "ABCI", the boy survived, Robbie did not. Thank you kindly.

Quote Originally Posted by texasguy008 View Post
    I read this story when I was in the 5th grade and am also looking for it. I know it's been 9 years since you posted this, but am curious to know if you ever found it. Reading it as a 10 y/o, the story haunted the heck out of me and though I haven't thought about it in almost 40 years, i want to read it again. The only thing I can remember is that the stepfather's name (and the killer) was Dowd (or Doud?) and the mother's name, I think, was Lana. Amazing I can remember those stupid, minute details from a story I read once at the age of 10, but as a 47 year-old, I can't remember what I did this morning...LOL.
    Here's a condensed version of it http://consciousevolution.com/LindaG...f_Robbie_Wayne
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Is there anything to corroborate any of this? All info on the net appears to point to the same Reader's Digest article, and I can't verify that any of the names are real people. I suspect that the article is either a complete work of fiction, possibly a composite several abuse cases. I have found exactly five people total with the last name of Doud in the five most populous states.
    Last edited by Slick SKillet Mayhand; 03-10-2017 at 10:55 AM.

Readers Digest used to and may still do featured a centerpiece true crime article. It's where I first read about the Boy in a Box and Ted Bundy. Don't think those were fiction. I understand that there isn't much out there, but I've run across others like it. Arlis Perry, for one.
    Last edited by cindyt; 03-10-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Josieraimondi Guest
    I read this when it was in RD and never forgot it. It was about an family who had no real home but just drove around with the children in a car. The woman and the man, unmarried, had a baby so there was three children. For some reason, the man and also the mother abused Robbie Wayne and didn't feed him. I remember a sentence in the article that said he lost so much weight that he had to hold up his pants when he walked. The middle girl, who also didn't like Robbie Wayne, found him sucking Coca-Cola from a bottle and told her parents. I believe it was the man who picked him up and threw him against a wall so violently that he died from hitting his head against a wall. The mother and stepfather buried him and the mother asked that an abandoned refrigerator nearby be placed over the burial site so animals wouldn't dig for the boy. Years later, after the woman and man split up, the man was drunk, down on his luck and playing cards with his friends or family, broke down and cried (likely in misery of his own life, not for Robbie Wayne's.) This man was not only a loser but obviously a monster of some kind. It was one of the most brutal, cruel and sad stories I have ever read in my life. Here it is, decades later, in my mind and locked in my memory because of the horror of it all. I, too, would like the original copy. My email is josieraimondi@yahoo.com Thank you all

15. 04-05-2017, 07:02 AM

Reason
    Dupe

The man was Harry Joe Dowd and the mother was Lana Wood. After rereading the story I Googled them and found nothing. My search for Robbie Wayne led me to this thread.

"I just go here!"

I am in shock! I read this in absolute horror in RD years ago, and I never forgot it, especially his encounter with the elderly couple that could have possibly saved his life. I can't believe I found it here, you folks are the best! I doubt that Harry Joe Doud is even alive today, may he hopefully rot. Child murderers rarely fare well while incarcerated. It's possible that he got out of prison, back then when you were sentenced to life it meant 40 years, and if you stayed out of trouble you got out in half that time. I would be curious to find out what happened to Lana, I doubt she amounted to much, went back to hooking up with anyone who gave her a wink and a nod and probably just existing right now.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Quote Originally Posted by RiaBrown View Post
    The man was Harry Joe Dowd and the mother was Lana Wood. After rereading the story I Googled them and found nothing. My search for Robbie Wayne led me to this thread.
    As I mentioned above, I don't think this story is factual. At best, it is a fictionalized account of one or more abuse cases. But there is absolutely nothing so far to corroborate any of the details even starting with the names.

I never noticed this before - or maybe I forgot from when I read the story in RD as a kid - but Mary Jane Chambers explains in the intro that she gave the story the "Dragnet" treatment:

"Although names and places have been changed, the case is real, dramatically recreated from trial proceedings."
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    I never noticed this before - or maybe I forgot from when I read the story in RD as a kid - but Mary Jane Chambers explains in the intro that she gave the story the "Dragnet" treatment:

"Although names and places have been changed, the case is real, dramatically recreated from trial proceedings."
    Slick Skillet, there's your answer. If names were changed, then that's why I couldn't find anything.

I have no doubt in my mind that this story is true. Abuse wasn't talked about back then as it is now, hence one reason why I couldn't tell what my dipshit cousin was doing to me. (And he threatened me pretty good.)

My parents were foster parents, that's how they got me. But when I was around 5 or so, they stopped. Momma said she couldn't take it anymore, they were bringing her kids who had been severely abused and it broke her heart. They'd bring her these kids, and after several months when they'd settle in and begin to adjust, they would be yanked back to their abusive parents.

One little girl was around my age, and she had a large bald spot where her father used to swing her around by her hair. When Momma and Daddy got her, she was petrified of all men. Six months later, she warmed up to Daddy and momma has a picture somewhere of her and I in daddy's lap. Me on one knee, her on the other.

She was sent back to her abusive father. I asked Momma if she knew whatever happened to her, because some of her foster kids kept in touch. Momma said she read her obituary in the paper a few years after she left. Her father killed her. Neither of us knew his name or if he served any jail time for it.

"I just go here!"

Slick Skillet, there's your answer. If names were changed, then that's why I couldn't find anything.

I have no doubt in my mind that this story is true. Abuse wasn't talked about back then as it is now, hence one reason why I couldn't tell what my dipshit cousin was doing to me. (And he threatened me pretty good.)

My parents were foster parents, that's how they got me. But when I was around 5 or so, they stopped. Momma said she couldn't take it anymore, they were bringing her kids who had been severely abused and it broke her heart. They'd bring her these kids, and after several months when they'd settle in and begin to adjust, they would be yanked back to their abusive parents.

One little girl was around my age, and she had a large bald spot where her father used to swing her around by her hair. When Momma and Daddy got her, she was petrified of all men. Six months later, she warmed up to Daddy and momma has a picture somewhere of her and I in daddy's lap. Me on one knee, her on the other.

She was sent back to her abusive father. I asked Momma if she knew whatever happened to her, because some of her foster kids kept in touch. Momma said she read her obituary in the paper a few years after she left. Her father killed her. Neither of us knew his name or if he served any jail time for it.
    Yeah. In 77 my loco pill-popping stepfather beat my young teenage sister up for letting a boy drive her home from school. First I chewed him out from Monday to Sunday and then called DFCS. They were like bleh. I didn't bother with the cops because I knew that would lead to Route Nowhere.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

LLBigwave Guest
    Robbie Wayne's story is one that made a very deep impression on me as well.

Recently, some new information has become available on the web, and I think this is the cast of characters.

Robbie Wayne: Melvin Kirk Ward

Harry Joe Doud: Larry Paul Gough (still incarcerated)

Lana Wood: Brenda Crocker Carr

Wendy Jo Doud: Cynthia Gough

The archived newspaper articles about the case match the RD story perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by LLBigwave View Post
    Robbie Wayne's story is one that made a very deep impression on me as well.

Recently, some new information has become available on the web, and I think this is the cast of characters.

I googled the names all I am getting are clips of newspaper articles which when I click on them, I have to pay to read them, good find, would like to read the actual articles and such.

https://imgur.com/a/cBoLXLooks like a good match.

Thank you for the link Slick, yeah that sounds like the story, poor kid...horrible what people do to children.

Robbie Wayne's actual name was Melvin Kirk Ward.
    His grave: https://www.findagrave.com/mem.../11...lvin-kirk-ward
    Some more information, including real names: https://www.facebook.com/GoneButNotF...23588191200016

https://www.findadeathforum.com/show...ie-Wayne/page2

I had read that Larry Paul Gough died in prison in 2018, but I have yet to find any proof of that.

"I just go here!"

I had read that Larry Paul Gough died in prison in 2018, but I have yet to find any proof of that.
    I hope he did, it's right where he belonged. Hard to believe that anyone who is human could treat another human, that is completely defenseless this bad, but it happens more than we know...