Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Winkler

RaRaRamona Guest

Matt Winkler

Since I've been accused (I think?) of sticking up for women murderers, here's one I think should fry: Mary Winkler.

She was deep in a Nigerian scam, & had been caught check kiting by two banks. The banks had been calling her & sending notices but she just ignored them hoping to keep it from her husband. Her local bank called her the day before the murder & told her she was to report to the bank with Matt the next day or else. How interesting that she killed that day.

What burns me up about this case is she killed him to try to save herself then she immediately started a smear campaign against him. Her lawyers made up all kinds of sleezy stories about her wearing hooker heels in bed to get the media off the real scent.

lisalouver Guest
    Oh yea, I remember this story. She had to do "horrible" things in bed with her husband. Like have sex with heels on.

I had no idea of the Nigerian scam! However, even before knowing this, I think she should be in prison for good.

Did'nt she get let out?

smellslikealmonds Guest
    I feel that she was probably somewhat abused. This isn't an excuse to kill the asshole, but maybe she thought it was the only way out.

Scarsguardianstalkr Guest
    y is wearing hooker heals in bed so bad its really not that not that ive done it but come on theyre just shoes

RaRaRamona Guest
    Oh yeah she hardly served any time at all (hmm reminds of a post in the Clara Harris thread...)

She served about 6 - 7 months TOTAL, including before bail & the trial. She actually had a job and a boyfriend while she was a waiting trial. She claimed to be such a meek Christian women who couldn't handle her pious husband yet she was repeatedly caught out at bars drinking & smoking with men. She's been out for a while now.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smellslikealmonds View Post
    I feel that she was probably somewhat abused. This isn't an excuse to kill the asshole, but maybe she thought it was the only way out.
    I don't believe he did at all - there were NO signs whatsoever. Not only have I been abused I've known women who were & in every single case when she came out & admitted abuse a light bulb went off over everyone's heads; you know what I mean, when things make sense. there was none of that with her.

she was on oprah,and there are several threads on the subject on her boards.

i remember the folks on court tv were incredulous over the verdict.

if there was abuse,it came from him yelling at her over the nigerian scam
    Last edited by midnitelamp; 01-17-2008 at 07:19 PM. Reason: NO I DON'T REMEMBER PULLING THE TRIGGER

Jenny Mulhenny Guest
    Oh shit. I've been wondering what became of this case. Thanks for staring the thread.
    I remember she wanted her kids back and they were with her husband's parents. I was living in TN when this happened and as it was in 06, I am surprised that it turned out she was into Nigerian scams. Falling for those is so 2001! What a dumb bitch.

cherryghost Guest
    'Hooker Heels' I need to get me some of those!

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    LMAO! I have some!

DCT61 Guest
    I live in Nashville, and when the trial was going on it was covered live on tv. When the the lawyer for the defense pulled the lucite-high-heeled-disco-shoe from a bag (in a "ta-da" fashion, I might add) to prove what a "bastard" Matthew was (for "making" her wear it) the "horrified" look on Mary's face was priceless. Her lawyer apparently didnt coach her acting skills very well. She did everything but slap the back of her hand to her forehead and slump into a velvet covered fainting couch located in the corner of the witness booth. She was guilty as hell...but this is Tennessee. In any other state she would have been found guilty. (Unless, of course, she was a celebrity and living in LA)

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DCT61 View Post
    I live in Nashville, and when the trial was going on it was covered live on tv. When the the lawyer for the defense pulled the lucite-high-heeled-disco-shoe from a bag (in a "ta-da" fashion, I might add) to prove what a "bastard" Matthew was (for "making" her wear it) the "horrified" look on Mary's face was priceless. Her lawyer apparently didnt coach her acting skills very well. She did everything but slap the back of her hand to her forehead and slump into a velvet covered fainting couch located in the corner of the witness booth. She was guilty as hell...but this is Tennessee. In any other state she would have been found guilty. (Unless, of course, she was a celebrity and living in LA)
    I lauged out loud at your description!!! Thanks for the smile.

SquirrelNutZipper Guest
    This case reallly chaps my fanny.

You all know she has a boyfriend now...hmm..something tells me her dead husband didn't traumatize her that much!!

May she rot in holy hell.

Harrietd Guest
    My favorite part is this good Christian family having a shotgun in the bedroom closet.

don't_axe_me Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrietd View Post
    My favorite part is this good Christian family having a shotgun in the bedroom closet.
    I didn't find that unusual at all

Jazbabee Guest
    Kinda funny.....some hooker heels and maybe a little spank or two, might actually be thrilling for some of us....lol But I have to agree, I believe the murder was due by and large to the check scheme she was caught up in.

Every good Christian family is armed to the teeth. God, Guts and Guns!!!!
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

LadyCurry Guest
    My parents are members of the Church of Christ in Burlington, Iowa. Their former preacher knew the Winklers and knew first hand that there was physical violence in the Winkler home. He never said anything about the sexual stuff though.

I take a different look at things with this case. I felt bad for her to a certain degree. Coming from an abusive relationship in my past...it is hard to leave, especially when there are children involved. Everyone has a snapping point...I feel she snapped. I'm not condoning murder, but, as an outsider, I don't really know what was going on behind closed doors.
    A bad situation for the entire family and my sympathy mostly goes to the children who will NEVER have a normal life. Mary's behavior in all of this has been terrible too and certainly doesn't help the situation.

LadyCurry Guest

My hunny and I are a good Christian family...and we have several guns unloaded in our home. Nothing wrong with that, in my opinion. Makes me feel safe since we live in a very rural area.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Ann Rule wrote about this in her latest case files book. Ann is very circumspect, but reading between the lines you can tell she totally didn't buy Mary's story.

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    I think Amy Winehouse calls them "F*ck Me" shoes......

Irishlass Guest

MY dad wa sa christain pastor and we had handguns and a rifle in the house. My dad liked to target shoot.

as for the case she truly got away with Murder and i never believed the Hooker heels story how are we to know her lawyer didnt cook that story up. I hope to God she never get those kids back
    and for the new man hope he sleeps with one eye open

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulie Girl View Post
    Similarly, we have always called them F.M. Pumps around here

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by scarsxofxlove View Post
    y is wearing hooker heals in bed so bad its really not that not that ive done it but come on theyre just shoes
    Yeah, really. My girl and I do this all of the time...only she makes ME wear them...

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulie Girl View Post
    Amy Winehouse is a dong!

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    Ann Rule wrote about this in her latest case files book. Ann is very circumspect, but reading between the lines you can tell she totally didn't buy Mary's story.
    That's actually comforting to hear b/c she has seen the worst of the them & she usually does a fair job. I wonder if anyone will do a book?

Scarsguardianstalkr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Radiohead View Post
    Yeah, really. My girl and I do this all of the time...only she makes ME wear them...
    lmao now that id like to see

Tebssis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Radiohead View Post

This is way you're one of my favorite posters. LMAO

Tebssis Guest
    opps I mean WHY instead of way. I type sooooo bad.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tebssis View Post
    opps I mean WHY instead of way. I type sooooo bad.
    There's an edit feature. I use it all the time. I always see flubs when it's too late.

I live about an hour from Selmer (where the murder took place). No one around here believes that story she cooked up and we were just as stunned as everyone else that she got away with murder.

She hung herself with the whole check kiting thing.

And I'll add one more vote to the gun thing. My husband and I are a good Christian family and we have many guns (loaded) in the house. I dare a burgular to come in on us. Down here in the South, I don't know of many people who don't own at least 1 gun.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

when oprah brought up the shoes,mary almost burst out laughing,at least she had to supress a grin.

on the gun thing.almost every body i know is packing. men and women.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I felt sorry for the lady and believed her. She seems a little slow and married young, so she probably didn't think all the abuse was abnormal and just snapped one day.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Also, I didn't feel the prosecution prosecuted her that hard at the trial, like they were holding back a little for some reason. I think the guy was far crazier than we'll ever know and certain things weren't brought out at trial because it helped neither side and just left the trial disjointed and odd. Just a hunch. Like, you don't get off of murder rap because the guy made you wear slutty clothes and perform kinky sex acts. But all the prosecution really did was just suggest she was hiding financial woes from him and shot him. But you don't plug your husband to cover up check kiting--I'd rather go to prison for check kiting than murder. The whole case as presented at trial made no sense. I think that's why she got it so easy.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie Prody View Post
    Also, I didn't feel the prosecution prosecuted her that hard at the trial, like they were holding back a little for some reason. I think the guy was far crazier than we'll ever know and certain things weren't brought out at trial because it helped neither side and just left the trial disjointed and odd. Just a hunch. Like, you don't get off of murder rap because the guy made you wear slutty clothes and perform kinky sex acts. But all the prosecution really did was just suggest she was hiding financial woes from him and shot him. But you don't plug your husband to cover up check kiting--I'd rather go to prison for check kiting than murder. The whole case as presented at trial made no sense. I think that's why she got it so easy.
    The trial didn't make any sense - that's why everyone is so shocked she got away with murder. Believe me, if they had actual dirt on Matt they would have used it. She changed her story so many times no one could keep up. His parents supported her at first b/c she said she was mentally ill. Then she turned & "surprise!" she dragged their son through the mud. That's when they took the kids away legally. They realized how cold blooded she was.

KristinEileen Guest
    I find it funny that the lawyer assumed that all Hookers where Clear Lucite Heals...around here that is for the strippers now the hookers are a little different they wear the Lucite heals that light up when you walk...

I didn't know about the whole check thing but either way I think she got away with it. Her boyfriend better watch it!

RaRaRamona Guest
    Actually they broke up - his name is Darrell Pillow & he has text messages where she was telling him she loved him. That certainly sounds remorseful. An awfully quick comeback for an abused woman.

Tebssis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    There's an edit feature. I use it all the time. I always see flubs when it's too late.
    Thx, I'll try that next time.

i have the feeling that matt went on and on and on about the financial mess

I am supposed to represent wisdom and stability! how can i face the community! you have ruined my career! HOW COULD YOU BE SO STUPID!! ad infinitum

i may be wrong.

the DA had never took a capital case to trial,defense had many successes in other high profile murder cases.
    Last edited by midnitelamp; 01-22-2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: where would sex be with out platforms?

RaRaRamona Guest
    This case made a cameo in Law & Order SVU tonight. "A woman kills her minister husband & only gets 67 days." I'm glad people everywhere find this repulsive.

RoRo Guest
    I feel sorry for the children. The woman is obviously a mess and wants them back...hopefully she won't get them. Small towns are not the best laces to try cases like this..they should have moved it to Nashville with prosecutors that knew what they were doing like in the Janet March case. I found it hilarious that the ex boyfriend went on the local news with all the details of the relationship!

shoganc Guest
    Anyone know what happened as far as the custody battle between his folks and her? Also, has anyone pressed the issue of the cheque kiting? Does she face charges for that? I remember when Karla Holmolka only got 11 years I kept asking my lawyer pal "Can't they take her to trial for something else?!?". So I guess this is me again looking for another reason to land her ass back in jail

Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    I live about an hour from Selmer (where the murder took place). No one around here believes that story she cooked up and we were just as stunned as everyone else that she got away with murder.

She hung herself with the whole check kiting thing.

And I'll add one more vote to the gun thing. My husband and I are a good Christian family and we have many guns (loaded) in the house. I dare a burgular to come in on us. Down here in the South, I don't know of many people who don't own at least 1 gun.
    We don't pack, but I grew up with a pistol in my daddy's drawer and gun rack hanging on the wall--it was full and each gun loaded.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Christie Prody View Post
    You might plug him if you knew he'd beat the living shit out of you when he found out about your paper hanging and the Nigerian thingy.

BTW I also don't think wearing fuck me heels to bed is kinky. I've done it. So what?
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I went to the college where they met. I lasted ONE semester. A VERY christian college. Not allowed out past 10. Your RA had to see you in PERSON every night. Hand holding was frowned on. They used to give couples a stick to hold between them so they wouldn't touch hands while they walked around campus. (that was before my time) I went there in the 80's. Sex, drinking, mixed swimming, and the like would get you expelled. If you weren't in that dorm room (you couldn't live off campus unless a Senior or married) they called your parents. And so on. I said that to say this. Most of those girls on campus would FAINT if they even saw a pair of FM shoes. Hell! You couldn't even wear a sundress. Too revealing. I don't think, however, she was abused. I do think she THOUGHT she was. I simply cannot state enough the mind set of the campus was so anti sex, and everything else too. There were good people there. Just very repressed, and wearing those shoes probably made her think she was going straight to Hell. Seriously. She seems, however, to have gotten past most of her inhibitions NOW.

I forgot to say they frowned on murder, too. Just not as much as sex. I think she should be locked up and the key thrown down the toilet.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lulubaines View Post
    I went to the college where they met. I lasted ONE semester. A VERY christian college. Not allowed out past 10. Your RA had to see you in PERSON every night. Hand holding was frowned on. They used to give couples a stick to hold between them so they wouldn't touch hands while they walked around campus. (that was before my time) I went there in the 80's. Sex, drinking, mixed swimming, and the like would get you expelled. If you weren't in that dorm room (you couldn't live off campus unless a Senior or married) they called your parents. And so on. I said that to say this. Most of those girls on campus would FAINT if they even saw a pair of FM shoes. Hell! You couldn't even wear a sundress. Too revealing. I don't think, however, she was abused. I do think she THOUGHT she was. I simply cannot state enough the mind set of the campus was so anti sex, and everything else too. There were good people there. Just very repressed, and wearing those shoes probably made her think she was going straight to Hell. Seriously. She seems, however, to have gotten past most of her inhibitions NOW.
    I went to school there & my dad is a prof there. It's relaxed a little - a LITTLE since you were there. I want to point that I didn't find my husband there; when I looked to the left & the right I was ALONE.

There's a running joke at Freed that you'd be better off being caught in the back seat of a car killing someone than making out. They are strict, but it's a Christian University, after all. I do not under any circumstances believe she was forced to wear those shoes. I think it's more likely she wanted to wear them & said she looked like a cheap hooker.

Irishlass Guest
    I just want to say my dad was a preacher real religious
    and my parents acting like teenagers in heat I bet the farm they having sex up untill my dad got sick w/cancer. I USE to catch them necking ...yuk i mean i love sex but no kid should see there parents neck

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishlass View Post
    I just want to say my dad was a preacher real religious
    and my parents acting like teenagers in heat I bet the farm they having sex up untill my dad got sick w/cancer. I USE to catch them necking ...yuk i mean i love sex but no kid should see there parents neck
    LOL where did that even come from??

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    You might plug him if you knew he'd beat the living shit out of you when he found out about your paper hanging and the Nigerian thingy.

BTW I also don't think wearing fuck me heels to bed is kinky. I've done it. So what?
    I agree.

And I wear fuck me heels to bed all the time!!! I think that was clearly one of her sad attempts at saying oh poor me.