Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Andy Griffith & The Andy Griffith Show

Danny62 Guest
    I do know he was adopted. But Andy was mean way before that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kman0072 View Post
    Does anyone know the circumstances? All I know is that he died of an alcohol overdose, in 1996.

It may account for why Andy is such a nasty SOB.

It still has a draw to me even though it's not the original house or in the original location. Loves mee some Mayberry thingies.

hoxharding Guest
    Great job finding this!
    Very interesting indeed and a good price for such a small,specialized Inn.

Just found this on IMdb....

Danny62 Guest
    Thanks for sharing! Boy his speech skills are going downhill though.

Love how he throw in the sheriffs department. LOL

Thanks, Dan!

I was hoping you'd get a kick out of this link!

Jack Raines Guest
    Did anyone ever see the movie "The Demon Murder Case"? Its about a teenage boy who gets possessed by the devil and starts killing people. Andy played in it, along with Kevin Bacon...

I don't remember much about it, but that movie used to scare the hell out of me as a kid, and I always thought it was weird Andy played in a movie like that.

Danny62 Guest
    I was hoping you'd get a kick out of this link!
    Sure did! Ole Andy is still the man! Hope he makes it to 100?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Raines View Post
    Did anyone ever see the movie "The Demon Murder Case"? Its about a teenage boy who gets possessed by the devil and starts killing people. Andy played in it, along with Kevin Bacon...

I don't remember much about it, but that movie used to scare the hell out of me as a kid, and I always thought it was weird Andy played in a movie like that.
    Did you ever see him in "A face in the crowd" As Lonesome Rhodes? Damn what an actor. From that to lovable Andy Taylor.

9. 05-25-2008, 02:02 PM

Andy is in Brad Paisley's new video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymbVMCY3TGU

Waiting on a Woman.

I'm not familiar with Brad Paisley, but Andy is pretty good!

I'm glad he's still going. I thought he was FANTASTIC in Waitress!

Here's hoping he sticks around for a while.

msmojorisin84 Guest
    I have watched TAGS religiously since I was 2. Of course..I can't really remember it when I was 2...but I did watch it. I'm actually not that far from where the show was set. A few hours I actually met "The Darlins" aka The Dillards at a Mayberry reunion. It was George Lindsey, Don Knotts and The Dillards. It was one of the most exciting things I've ever experienced. I always thought my Daddy was just like Andy (in the show) He always had such wonderful advice and was funny and great. Then I read several things about him being completely different. What a buzzkill. Does anyone remember the movie "No Time For Sergeants"? That was the greatest thing he ever done, in my opinions. Which, I also really liked "Angel In My Pocket" too.

Andy's house in Manteo, North Carolina

Does anyone have a pic?

This is one of my absolute favorite old SCTV skits. Eugene Levy's send-up of Floyd the Barber is HIlarious, and Joe Flaherty does a decent Barney.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RcCDjC3XreA

P.S. It starts at the 0:50 second mark.

STRAIGHT Guest
    That's a real shame about him being that mean, does anyone know if he was ever NICE to anyone at all?

I have a story about him too.
    I was up at Big Bear for a weekend with my then husband and daughter, who was about a year and a half old. My daughter was a chatty cathy from a very early age, she used to amaze people with her brilliance.
    I was walking around in the woods with my daughter when we ran into this woman, she was captivated with my daughter and said, I want someone to meet her. It turned out it was Andy and he was filming something up there. This woman was his personal assistant or something. Anyway, she was all excited about showing my daughter off to him. We get to him and he was a complete jerk. I can't even remember exactly what he said because I was in shock at his rudeness. He just pretty much blew her off and said something about wasting his time. The poor woman was completely embarrassed. I felt really bad for her. This was in 76 or 77.
    I haven't liked him since. Completely ruined my image of Andy Taylor.

My image of Andy was shattered by a local in Manteo, NC. When I was about 12 we visited there. It was while Andy had the GB syndrome but I didn't know about that. My mom and I were chatting with some local at a Christmas shop. I asked him, " How is Andy Griffith and do you ever see him?" He said, "Andy is ill right now". I asked if he meant ill as in sick or ill tempered. He said, "both". He went on to tell me that Andy had a reputation of being an asshole. I thought Andy was like my dad too. My little 12 year old heart was broken.
    Years later a friend of mine told me she met him twice. He was a jerk both times. Once she saw him at a gas station and he had the lady with him pumping the gas.

that's really too bad about him being a jerk. it really does break my heart. i feel that i'm TOO attached to my favorite tv legends. andy, don knotts, lucy etc...

i watched that video of him with brad paisley and immediately started crying ... lol!

i may have to call in sick to work when andy dies! ha ha ha.
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

smellslikealmonds Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xoxojessicaxoxo View Post
    that's really too bad about him being a jerk. it really does break my heart. i feel that i'm TOO attached to my favorite tv legends. andy, don knotts, lucy etc...

i watched that video of him with brad paisley and immediately started crying ... lol!

i may have to call in sick to work when andy dies! ha ha ha.
    I was at home the other day and that video came on. I was crying too. I feel attached to him for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikealmonds View Post
    I was at home the other day and that video came on. I was crying too. I feel attached to him for some reason.

oh my god thank you so much for saying that. now i don't feel like such a freak! i just watched it for the first time!

smellslikealmonds Guest
    oh my god thank you so much for saying that. now i don't feel like such a freak! i just watched it for the first time!
    LOL!
    I cry at everything lately so don't feel like that.

LOL!
    I cry at everything lately so don't feel like that.

i cry at everything all the time. lol! i watched a movie with lucy last night and i cried when it was on too. it was an oldie with gene kelly. lol.

smellslikealmonds Guest
    i cry at everything all the time. lol! i watched a movie with lucy last night and i cried when it was on too. it was an oldie with gene kelly. lol.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that does that.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does that.

same here!

25. 07-27-2008, 05:59 PM

crazedfemale Guest
    Seeing AG as a bad guy always scared me. I remember seeing a movie he did when I was a kid. I loved TAGS - I remember seeing the first run of the color episodes in 1967/68. How is his health lately?

Mach2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STRAIGHT View Post
    That's a real shame about him being that mean, does anyone know if he was ever NICE to anyone at all?
    Dont believe everything you read. I was telling my wife about ten years ago that Andy Griffith would be trashed because people love doing that. I open this thread all these years later and sure enough........

STRAIGHT Guest
    I hope your right about that. I mean he can't be a rotten s.o.b. every second of his life can he?

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
    Dont believe everything you read. I was telling my wife about ten years ago that Andy Griffith would be trashed because people love doing that. I open this thread all these years later and sure enough........
    Well if you read interviews with him he admits he isn't the nicest guy around!

Andy & his wife

andy may be a mean sob, but i still love him!

Danny62 Guest
    I think he is going to out live Ron Howard the rate he is going!

I think the fact he still works is huge though...just not sitting waiting to die!

I agree!

He was great in Waitress!

trose Guest
    Andy may be a mean old SOB but I love him anyway.

I cried for a week when Don Knotts passed. I'm sure I'll be devastated when Andy goes.

One of my favorite TAGS episodes is Opie's betrothal. The part where the ink disappears after the signing of the contract - Mr. Darlin' starts talking about witchery and such - Andy says, "It's just a little on my Mama's side!" Just makes me smile.

I agree. I've never read anything nice about him, but I still love him, and I'll be sad when he passes too.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    ALL Earnest T Bass episodes and the dynamite goat!
    Chester Morris from Your Show of Shows with the Sid Ceasar ensemble. He was great. I loved the one where Ernest was in love and kept chucking rocks through his beloved's window.
    I think this all falls into the category that we should just enjoy and judge based on the quality of how they deliver their craft.
    I have used plumbers I couldn't stand and a boat mechanic that made me want to shower after a conversation with him but they were really good at their job.
    If you have ever seen Andy play a villian he is very very good as a bad guy. Maybe that tells us something.
    Loved Don Knotts though. Great ensemble comedy. Nothing remotely like it on TV at the time.
    It evolved as time went on as well. In the first few episodes they made Andy a little shady and hit hard on the fact that he was the local peace officer, the Justice of the Peace, the building inspector, the zoning board chairman etc. He had a desk full of name and title plates and these Yankees were trying to get something done in town and he kept telling them about the various fees and permits they needed. When they enquired about who to see to pay he would just switch name plates and take the money.
    That part of the character went by the wayside after a few episodes and he became pure of heart so to speak.
    My family did enjoy the show. A friend of mine's four year old absolutely loves Barney Fife and wanted to dress as him for Holloween. There is a whole new generation enjoying these shows.
    Regards,
    Mar

i love andy so much. <3

I love the very first episode...where Opie first meets Aunt Bee, then I love the Opie and the Bully. but do enjoy all of the episodes, except the colored ones.

guys! my husband just sent me the entire box set of tags!!! i'm BEYOND excited! it even includes "return to mayberry" !!!! my husband is AMAZING.

guys! my husband just sent me the entire box set of tags!!! i'm BEYOND excited! it even includes "return to mayberry" !!!! my husband is AMAZING.
    I have bought the DVD's myself, but not in a box set. If you ask me, Return to Mayberry was horrible. Nice to see everyone together, but other than that, horrible.

I'm glad to see that Andy is keeping busy, though.

crazedfemale Guest
    I hear Andy's a devout Christian. Then why he is known for being such an SOB? I wonder if he tires of people coming up to him and gawking at him. Don't know for sure. I think if I ever saw him in person I wouldn't say a thing to him. That would be hard, because I'm so darn starstruck when it comes to certain celebrities.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by crazedfemale View Post
    I hear Andy's a devout Christian. Then why he is known for being such an SOB? I wonder if he tires of people coming up to him and gawking at him. Don't know for sure. I think if I ever saw him in person I wouldn't say a thing to him. That would be hard, because I'm so darn starstruck when it comes to certain celebrities.
    Why do you think that being a devout Christian is at odds with being nasty and cranky?
    I have met nasty cranky, Priests, Nuns, Ministers and alleged good Christians. Now if your definition of a good Christian isn't complete I applaud you and agree without the "Do unto others as you would them do unto you" part you miss a lot.
    Somehow allegedly devout Christians brought us the spanish inquisition, the Salem witch trials and the crusades, all of them pretty cranky gnarly events.
    I have always heard he was a very private guy and a hard nosed business man. I have seen some people view a celebraty protecting their privacy or personal space in public viewed as nasty and as you say that might be Andy's story.
    Regards,
    Mary

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PiggyTx View Post
    I love the very first episode...where Opie first meets Aunt Bee, then I love the Opie and the Bully. but do enjoy all of the episodes, except the colored ones.
    I loved Opie and the hobo! First no one thought he existed and then they thought he was a bad influance.
    Regards,
    Mary

I remember the Hobo epi. Actually, I loved all the episodes centered on Opie.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by trose View Post
    Andy may be a mean old SOB but I love him anyway.

I cried for a week when Don Knotts passed. I'm sure I'll be devastated when Andy goes.

One of my favorite TAGS episodes is Opie's betrothal. The part where the ink disappears after the signing of the contract - Mr. Darlin' starts talking about witchery and such - Andy says, "It's just a little on my Mama's side!" Just makes me smile.
    I second that. He has never been mean to me. Lol.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

TallulahDahling Guest
    My fav is the episode where Aunt Bee gets crocked on the snake-oil salesman's "Rejuvination Serum"

crazedfemale Guest
    Well I think it's all part of the Christian "walk" and I would think Andy would be kinder to his fans. I work with Patrick Dempsey's father-in-law but I have to pretend I don't care to hear about his family to hear about all the stuff. I know they're just people but I love hearing about his son-in-law.

nag_champa Guest
    "The Andy Griffith Show" is my mother's all time favorite program because she always says that Andy reminded her of my grandfather, which is true, they do resemble each other. My grandfather, however, was the nicest man I'd ever met. Going by these stories, Andy...not so much, lol.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I love the episodes where little Leon (actually Ronny Howard's brother) proffers his peanut butter sandwich to anyone who would like a bite. SO cute.
    "No thanks, Leon."

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by crazedfemale View Post
    Well I think it's all part of the Christian "walk" and I would think Andy would be kinder to his fans. I work with Patrick Dempsey's father-in-law but I have to pretend I don't care to hear about his family to hear about all the stuff. I know they're just people but I love hearing about his son-in-law.

OK CF, I know this is suppose to be about Andy.....BUT,....whats the scoop on Patrick?
    Last edited by Nicki; 10-19-2009 at 11:59 PM.

c l p Guest
    i like don knotts better