Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy Griffith & The Andy Griffith Show

Danny62 Guest

Andy Griffith & The Andy Griffith Show

Here are a couple quick stories I got out of the book called "The Andy Griffith Story." Andy Taylor he wasn't in real life.

About his temper:

"I do have a pretty bad temper. At home, I distinctly remember one time when I had a real violent fit of it. I got so angry that I literally... and I mean actually... tore one of our doors down in a blindig rage. I eventually ende up apologizing. I bought my wife some flower... and a new door.

Also during the first season if you are a bigTAGS fan you will remember he was wearing a brace on his hand in a couple of episodes??

It was because he put his fist thru the wall at home and broke his hand.

Just hard to see that when you watch TAGS!

onehunglow Guest
    I met that asshole in the VIP waiting room at Lake Tahoe where one waits for the rides. He had just come out of the VIP (where we were not allowed since we only opened the cocktail show and were not VIP) lounge. It was around 3 am and I was waiting for our bus because I had the flu and the guys let me sit out loading. The room was empty beides me. He sat down and looked out that falling snow. I said "really coming down isn't it". He cut loose on me for, I'll bet close to 5 minutes. "Who are you! The F***** weather man and what the F are you doing back here........... His face was bright red and spit was flying out of his mouth. He pointed his finger at me and said "your done, you will never work here again!!" and went back into the VIP lounge. A minute later security came back and I knew them, hell we played there 14 years. They said I had to wait outside. They were only doing their job. I just went out and a few minutes later our beat up old bus showed up. I told the guys about it. Our drummer had a great idea. I took one of our cards and wrote F Y on it. The drummer went in, went to window the goes to the Lounge and buzzed. When the BT opened the window he said "Andy wanted one of our cards". I hope he got it and the flu I had. # 1 on my ass hole list. I'd swear he was high on something. We played there a few weeks later.

Catherine of Siena Guest
    Are you hung, onehunglow, or are you referring to your low hangers?

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    I met that asshole in the VIP waiting room at Lake Tahoe where one waits for the rides. He had just come out of the VIP (where we were not allowed since we only opened the cocktail show and were not VIP) lounge. It was around 3 am and I was waiting for our bus because I had the flu and the guys let me sit out loading. The room was empty beides me. He sat down and looked out that falling snow. I said "really coming down isn't it". He cut loose on me for, I'll bet close to 5 minutes. "Who are you! The F***** weather man and what the F are you doing back here........... His face was bright red and spit was flying out of his mouth. He pointed his finger at me and said "your done, you will never work here again!!" and went back into the VIP lounge. A minute later security came back and I knew them, hell we played there 14 years. They said I had to wait outside. They were only doing their job. I just went out and a few minutes later our beat up old bus showed up. I told the guys about it. Our drummer had a great idea. I took one of our cards and wrote F Y on it. The drummer went in, went to window the goes to the Lounge and buzzed. When the BT opened the window he said "Andy wanted one of our cards". I hope he got it and the flu I had. # 1 on my ass hole list. I'd swear he was high on something. We played there a few weeks later.
    WOW!!! What a story. He seems so nice on TV!! LOL

I have another story in the book where he dreamed of beating Don Knotts to death!! I will find it and post it later.

Sounds like the guy has serious issues!!

SO what year did this happen??

Thanks for the story!

onehunglow Guest

Around 94

Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    WOW!!! What a story. He seems so nice on TV!! LOL

I have another story in the book where he dreamed of beating Don Knotts to death!! I will find it and post it later.

Sounds like the guy has serious issues!!

SO what year did this happen??

Thanks for the story!
    I didn't know he smoked either. I saw him smoke in the show, but he had one in his mouth when he came out. Rap was killing country music and we were washed up anyway, so it was only fitting to give him a card. Yeah the Bar Tender said he was a super prick and didn't even leave a buck for a tip. Bill Cosby always left a 100 and so did many others. That bar Tender makes more than most Pilots. He is also old as Lincoln and been there about 45 years. He knows exactly how each VIP likes their drink. Hell, he could be dead by now and I am sure he is. That was about 12 or 13 years back. I've been back in Iowa since 98.

onehunglow Guest

Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine of Siena View Post
    You'll have to wonder. I'll give you a hint. I have the neckname as a
    [SIZE=3]character in Porkyâ??s . I got that name in Jr. High and never could shake it and I hate it. [/SIZE]

Danny62 Guest
    I didn't know he smoked either. I saw him smoke in the show, but he had one in his mouth when he came out. Rap was killing country music and we were washed up anyway, so it was only fitting to give him a card. Yeah the Bar Tender said he was a super prick and didn't even leave a buck for a tip. Bill Cosby always left a 100 and so did many others. That bar Tender makes more than most Pilots. He is also old as Lincoln and been there about 45 years. He knows exactly how each VIP likes their drink. Hell, he could be dead by now and I am sure he is. That was about 12 or 13 years back. I've been back in Iowa since 98.
    Yeah he smokes in the earlier episondes of TAGS!

And admit it, the show was never the same when Don Knott's left the show. Andy even admilts the black and white episodes were better than the color ones.

He was such a rag in the color episodes!!!!

Don Knotts made that show. I also loved Floyd, Otis, and Aunt Bee. I really never paid much attention to Andy Griffith. He was just kinda like the straight guy to Knotts genius.

Guest Guest
    You are my favorite poster in the history of the internet.

Catherine of Siena Guest
    Don Knotts was said to be 'of the persuasia'.

Also, young Andy was kind of 'do-able'.

Does Andy have sizemeat?

onehunglow Guest

Not sure

Don Knotts was said to be 'of the persuasia'.

Also, young Andy was kind of 'do-able'.

Does Andy have sizemeat?
    You'll have to ask Helen Crump.

Catherine of Siena Guest
    We understand that Helen was Aunt Bee's 'bitch'.

blair Guest
    Andy Griffith, like all the great comedians (think Jack Benny) knew the importance of ensemble comedy. During the first season of TAGS he realized letting Don get the laughs made for a better show. I think the Griffith/Knotts team is up there with Laurel & Hardy and Kramden & Norton.

Guest Guest
    My late father relayed this story to my about Andy Griffith and it pretty much sums up this thread about the guy...you would think for someone who put out Christian Albums his temper would be more Christian?

In 1968 my father was returning from Vietnam and in route back he stayed at a USO in Chicago...where Mr Andy Griffith was visiting...my father was introduced to him and according to my father AG looked him in the eye and said "you know...no one has any respect for you baby killers...I'm only here because it's good PR"

real nice way to meet someone...but then again none of our troops from Vietnam got the respect they deserved coming home alive or dead.

After hearing this I found it hard to believe Opie's Daddy was a prick but seems other posters experiences support it!

JeffD Guest
    Nothing to do with the thread but a decent TV movie with Johnny Cash and AG working together. "Murder in Coweta County" 1983.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085977/

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearheart View Post
    My late father relayed this story to my about Andy Griffith and it pretty much sums up this thread about the guy...you would think for someone who put out Christian Albums his temper would be more Christian?

In 1968 my father was returning from Vietnam and in route back he stayed at a USO in Chicago...where Mr Andy Griffith was visiting...my father was introduced to him and according to my father AG looked him in the eye and said "you know...no one has any respect for you baby killers...I'm only here because it's good PR"

real nice way to meet someone...but then again none of our troops from Vietnam got the respect they deserved coming home alive or dead.

After hearing this I found it hard to believe Opie's Daddy was a prick but seems other posters experiences support it!
    The more I hear the more he sounds like a real prick!

A couple of things:

His adopted son died in 1996 of alocholism.

And him and Marilyn Monroe share the same birthday
    June 21, 1926.

Damn, he sure seems like a major @$$#ole! I've heard that he's not in great health these days, but damn.

I heard that Don Knotts was always nice, however.

Any more stories on AG?

-K.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kman0072 View Post
    Damn, he sure seems like a major @$$#ole! I've heard that he's not in great health these days, but damn.

I heard that Don Knotts was always nice, however.

Any more stories on AG?

-K.
    Yes a good one from "The Andy Griffith Story."

About his dream about Don Knotts:

"It was Vivid" Andy later remarked, and involuntary shiver running thru his body as he remembered the dream. "Don's head was just swinging there. I had people get rid of the body. Then, I woke up, wet all over. I immediately called Don, but he could not be found.

His theory was he was trying to kill of the image of Sheriff Taylor, or I think he really was jealous of Don winning all those emmy awards.

And the reason Don left the show is because Andy was only going to do the show for five years and at the start of the fifth season Don was looking for work. He was so hot with that show he pretty much could get anything. He found a nice 5 year deal at universal then when Andy said he was staying on Don had already told Universal he would sign and also figured it would be a good career move!

onehunglow Guest

Question Maybe

[quote=Danny62;9453]Yes a good one from "The Andy Griffith Story."

His theory was he was trying to kill of the image of Sheriff Taylor, or I think he really was jealous of Don winning all those emmy awards.

That is why he is so bitter?

Danny62 Guest
    [quote=onehunglow;9459]
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Yes a good one from "The Andy Griffith Story."

That is why he is so bitter?
    I don't know...the more I read the more it sounds like he has issues.

In 1983 Griffith got "Guillan-Bare syndromore" a rare neurological disease that left him unable to walk...temporary paralysis!

[quote=Danny62;9465]

I don't know...the more I read the more it sounds like he has issues.

In 1983 Griffith got "Guillan-Bare syndromore" a rare neurological disease that left him unable to walk...temporary paralysis!
    I had a friend the had that. He was on a respirator and unable breath on his own. But he completely recovered. He was a paramedic and it gave him a new appreciation for the job. He was one of the best medic's I ever worked with.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jack Raines Guest
    Here's a clip of Andy saying "fuck her", its surreal to hear him say that. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN6f58cTMsY

Andy is also in Peaches video for "Fuck the Pain Away"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4yndU6NqUE
    Last edited by Jack Raines; 10-15-2007 at 05:20 AM.

Darrianne Guest
    Man, y'all just so shattered my image of Andy as the perfect dad, friend and son. He's a darn good actor to hide all that. Seriously, I have heard stories like this for years. Including how he snubbed Mount Airy many times when they invited him there for this or that......

Supposedly, he and Ron Howard got along great but I now wonder what
    the real truth is. Ron has never, to my knowledge, cast him in one of his
    movies.

Danny62 Guest
    Reviewing this thread I can't find one nice thing about him yet!!

Wow! I guess I won't look at him the same when I watch TAGS!!!

Tombstone Tourist Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebekah View Post
    Supposedly, he and Ron Howard got along great but I now wonder what
    the real truth is. Ron has never, to my knowledge, cast him in one of his
    movies.
    I remember eating in a small restaurant across from Ron Howard's production company and both he and his partner Brian Glazer came in and sat near us. I remember looking over to him thinking these two guys could buy and sell Hollywood. Our two tables were the only ones filled that night.

I've found I see most of Hollywood's elite midweek late in the evening like this.

Analyst_Rob Guest
    Have heart……
    When you see Andy today… you are merely seeing an exhausted, empty vessel.
    The life force that made-up the personality we all knew and loved (who else could get toilet seats to salute an inspecting general??) now resides in actor Will Smith.
    (It's all in their ears……… very telling……)
    Last edited by Analyst_Rob; 10-16-2007 at 07:00 PM.

Uncle Milte's Huge Wanger Guest
    Wow, I never thought I'd have the forum or opportunity to unload my Andy Griffith story! I've been telling it for years to friends and family but have looked forward to reaching a wider audience. I was in a bar in Wilmington N.C. back in the mid-90's having oysters and beer with a friend of mine from the Marines. It was actually the "Ice House" bar, the same one used in Dawson's Creek. Well, who comes in but Andy Griffith and some guy in his 40's. All the tables are taken and I see him talking to the manager, who immediately walks over to us and says "hey gents, I hate to have to ask, but this table is usually reserved for Mr. Griffith (as he points over to him) and I really need to make it available to him." We said "no problem, we were just leaving anyways, just give us two minutes to finish up." He says "ok" and then heads back over and relays that to Griffith. We're just finishing up and suddenly I feel a deafening blow to the back of my head! I turn around and realize that Andy had just broken a barstool over my head. He's standing there, red-faced, with the remnants of the barstool, one broken leg attached to the seat portion. I quickly jumped up and kicked him in the balls. He doubled over faster then Elton John visiting a Turkish bath. Just then, his buddy landed one to my jaw, while my Marine friend had jumped up on the table and landed a flying elbow to the back of Andy's head. Well, that had little affect as Andy pulled a knife and thrust it between my third and fourth rib. I dropped like a bag of sand and Andy, who was now grinning and slightly drooling started approaching to finish me off. Just then, my friend broke a bottle on the table and thrust it into the jugular of Andy's friend, who ran out of the bar screaming like a schoolgirl. This distracted Andy just long enough for me to get up and gouge his eyeballs out (you may have noticed his missing eyeballs during season 6 of Matlock). As he lay moaning in agony, I said "You '"aunt bee' messing with me, BITCH." Then we walked out. What a total prick.

ComputerGuy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Milte's Huge Wanger View Post
    Wow, I never thought I'd have the forum or opportunity to unload my Andy Griffith story! I've been telling it for years to friends and family but have looked forward to reaching a wider audience. I was in a bar in Wilmington N.C. back in the mid-90's having oysters and beer with a friend of mine from the Marines. It was actually the "Ice House" bar, the same one used in Dawson's Creek. Well, who comes in but Andy Griffith and some guy in his 40's. All the tables are taken and I see him talking to the manager, who immediately walks over to us and says "hey gents, I hate to have to ask, but this table is usually reserved for Mr. Griffith (as he points over to him) and I really need to make it available to him." We said "no problem, we were just leaving anyways, just give us two minutes to finish up." He says "ok" and then heads back over and relays that to Griffith. We're just finishing up and suddenly I feel a deafening blow to the back of my head! I turn around and realize that Andy had just broken a barstool over my head. He's standing there, red-faced, with the remnants of the barstool, one broken leg attached to the seat portion. I quickly jumped up and kicked him in the balls. He doubled over faster then Elton John visiting a Turkish bath. Just then, his buddy landed one to my jaw, while my Marine friend had jumped up on the table and landed a flying elbow to the back of Andy's head. Well, that had little affect as Andy pulled a knife and thrust it between my third and fourth rib. I dropped like a bag of sand and Andy, who was now grinning and slightly drooling started approaching to finish me off. Just then, my friend broke a bottle on the table and thrust it into the jugular of Andy's friend, who ran out of the bar screaming like a schoolgirl. This distracted Andy just long enough for me to get up and gouge his eyeballs out (you may have noticed his missing eyeballs during season 6 of Matlock). As he lay moaning in agony, I said "You '"aunt bee' messing with me, BITCH." Then we walked out. What a total prick.

No that I find hard to believe

Guest Guest
    Who are you to doubt Uncle "Milte" and his Huge Wanger?

Danny62 Guest
    Since I posted this thread I need to say one nice thing I heard about him:

Howard McNear played Floyed the barber and I think he was wonderful besides Don Knotts in TAGS!

Following the Dec 1962 filming of "Convicts at large" McNear suffered a stroke. He lost the use of one arm and had trouble walking.

They could have written him out of the show but Andy would not think of it...and people believe Howard lived a bit longer because he was able to work the last years of his life.

They would rig the barber chair with something called a "boatswains seat"-a thing the sailors use when they go up and dow the mast, a piece of wood on ropes. And we tied it to the back of the chair, and it looked like he was standing.

Another trick was sound effects of him walking but you don't see howard walking just him sitting down.

If you ever see the episode "Floyds barbershop" where Howard sprague tries to raise floyds rent its kind of sad you can see Howard McNear was having a hard time trying to speak his lines.

On Jan 3, 1969, Howard McNear passed away due to complications of pneumonia.

Trivia: He played Doc in Gunsmoke the radio shows.
    Last edited by Danny62; 10-16-2007 at 02:45 PM.

JeffD Guest
    I've heard this one before. It was Steve Allen when I first heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I've heard this one before. It was Steve Allen when I first heard it.
    That's impossible my friend, because I just wrote it.

JeffD Guest
    That's impossible my friend, because I just wrote it.
    Good writing! And I was joking.

onehunglow Guest
    I though Don Knotts was going to jump in and use that Judo stuff. I can see him wearing his old salt and pepper cut just right for a dip.

Guest Guest
    I will not rest until Catherine of Siena and Uncle Milte's Huge Wanger meet. The internet will implode.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Good writing! And I was joking.
    Not a problem at all! I just get sensitive when people claim I'm not original.

JeffD Guest
    Not a problem at all! I just get sensitive when people claim I'm not original.
    sorry, it's an ongoing board joke.

Bellfire Guest
    What is sizemeat? lol

40. 10-17-2007, 12:24 PM

Something we should never speak of again?

Danny62 Guest

The Andy Griffith Show "Favorite Episode"

Okay this thread isn't about Andy Griffith its about the show!!

I think this is the all time best show ever made besides the Twilight Zone.

Well if you junk the color episodes.

I can watch the same episode over and over and laugh.

I really liked when Barney and Floyd were in the same scene together.

But my all time Favorite:

"Convicts at Large"- I loved how Floyd kept calling Barney Al in the episode!

Floyd-Better phone him Al.

Barney-My names not Al its Barney.
    Last edited by Danny62; 10-19-2007 at 03:42 PM.

SquirrelNutZipper Guest
    Mine is "Mayberry Welcomes Gold Truck".

Jazbabee Guest
    There isn't one particular episode that leaps out in my memory, but I can sure whistle the hell out of the theme song !!!!! lolol

onehunglow Guest

Talking Got to be the

The pickles.

RoRo Guest
    ALL Earnest T Bass episodes and the dynamite goat!

Gary Guest
    ANY episode with Barney or Ernest T. Bass gets my vote!

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    ANY episode with Barney or Ernest T. Bass gets my vote!
    I like the one where he wants to join the Army.

Opie the Birdman. And the one where Opie is going to fight a bully. Andy sends him off knowing he's probably gonna get his butt kicked, and before he does he picks up Opie and hugs him. You can see the genuine affection they had for each other, makes me tear-up every time I see it.

onehunglow Guest

Kathyf Guest
    My favorite is the one with Aunt Bea and the baby with the bluberries on him. actually I want to get a copy of Andy and Helen's wedding but I found out that was the first episode of Mayberry RFD