Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tonight Show and its Hosts

onehunglow Guest

The Tonight Show and its Hosts

This guy must be the cleanest guy in Hollywood. I've never saw or heard a bad word about him. He must be as boring as me.

BeanBoyGirl Guest
    His wife is a major lesbian.

onehunglow Guest

I've never even seen a picture of her.

Wow!

BeanBoyGirl Guest

Bellfire Guest
    No his wife isn't a major lesbian. Let's not get people sued in here.

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    I stopped watching Leno for the way he treated Richard Jewell. Calling him the Una Duffus, and going on with many other jokes.

After it was clear the man was innocent, Jay made an 'apology' one night. This 'apology' was just another joke.

Leno wasn't man enough to simply say he was sorry.

sweetie103 Guest
    I like leno but I agree he must be boring or keep things so on the downlow. I never hear anything about him.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetie103 View Post
    I like leno but I agree he must be boring or keep things so on the downlow. I never hear anything about him.
    I agree...this guy is BORING!!!!! I meant the tonight show! I just don't see what is so great about this guy??

But thats just me!

Guest Guest
    I don't watch Leno, his jokes aren't really all that funny, and not to mention there should be 2 cameras, one on him and one on his chin! His chin drives me crazy, sorry!

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetsumthin View Post
    I don't watch Leno, his jokes aren't really all that funny, and not to mention there should be 2 cameras, one on him and one on his chin! His chin drives me crazy, sorry!
    I think it was those damn Dorito commercials he used to do!!!

Those are all i can connect him with...you are probably to young to remember them?

He used to do commercials for Doritos!!

The guys chin... I compare it to Jimmy Durante's nose. LOL

JeffD Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry in Connecticut View Post
    I stopped watching Leno for the way he treated Richard Jewell. Calling him the Una Duffus, and going on with many other jokes.

After it was clear the man was innocent, Jay made an 'apology' one night. This 'apology' was just another joke.

Leno wasn't man enough to simply say he was sorry.
    Leno isn't too bright himself. True story told by Leno himself.

Leno gets to L.A. as a young, starving comic. He goes to a club to see about getting onstage. The owner tells him he needs to join the union first. Leno asks "how do I do that?" Club owner sends him to see another guy. Leno goes to see the other guy.

Leno: "I need to join the union".

Guy: "OK, give me $75 bucks for dues".

Leno forks over the cash.

Guy takes his business card and writes "Union Man" on the back and hands it to Leno.

Leno goes back to the club owner and hands him his new union card. Club owner starts cracking up, laughing "OMG, this guy is too much. HaHaHa!"

tensecondstolove Guest
    Yeah I never watch Leno. And I'm not really interested in his personal life. He seems like a pretty dull person.

cubbiecatz Guest
    Leno hospitalized with illness, cancels taping

By LYNN ELBER, AP Television Writer Lynn Elber, Ap Television Writer 2 hrs 43 mins ago
    UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. â?? Jay Leno checked into a hospital with an undisclosed illness Thursday and canceled the taping of the "Tonight" show, but was doing well and planned to return next week, his publicist and NBC said.
    Leno left his office at NBC's studios about midday and checked himself into a hospital for observation, said his publicist, Dick Guttman. He would not identify what ailed Leno, but characterized it as "mild" and said the comedian continued to work Thursday, making phone calls and writing jokes.
    "Jay Leno is doing just fine," read a statement from NBC spokeswoman Tracy St. Pierre. "He was kidding around with the hospital staff and running his monologue jokes by the doctors and the nurses. He's expected back to work on Monday."
    A woman who answered the media line at Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center, which is near the Burbank studio where Leno tapes "Tonight," said they had no patient by that name, and referred inquiries to NBC.
    The network planned to air a rerun of the show Thursday night. Scheduled guests were "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" actor Ryan Reynolds, celebrity animal trainer Jules Sylvester and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.
    "We wish Jay the speediest of recoveries and hope that our soundcheck this morning didn't have anything to do with his illness or the cancellation of the show," joked Chad Jensen, manager for Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. He said most of the guys in the swing band instead were "in the ocean surfing this afternoon."
    It was an unusual lapse for the famously intrepid performer, who routinely fills off-days from his TV show with live appearances on the comedy circuit.
    Leno, who turns 59 on Tuesday, will leave the "Tonight" show May 29 after 17 years. But he will continue on NBC, with a Monday-through-Friday program at 10 p.m., starting in the fall.
    The top-rated late-night host's move to prime time created a stir in the industry, taking the time slot usually reserved by broadcast networks for dramas such as "ER." And Leno has continued to make news, scoring a coup by booking President Barack Obama as a guest and performing free comedy concerts in the recession-wracked Detroit area.
    ___

In a Sea of Sorrow Guest
    I like Letterman!

Cadence71 Guest
    He's probably got a case of Jerk.

MmmRavioli Guest
    He's not bad, I like Monday night's "headlines" and when they set up that booth and have people off the street go in there... but other than that his monologue is never that funny. If I do watch it's only for a specific guest.

I find Letterman funnier. Don't get why he's always behind Leno in ratings.

(And Conan's probably a little funnier than both.)

STsFirstmate Guest
    He was allegedly very disrespectful of Johnny Carson during the transition period. I have always heard from Boston colleagues he was pretty much of a jerk but a straight arrow in terms of being a faithful husband and not do drinks or drugs to excess. Just not a real nice guy.
    Regards,
    Mary

Curl_up_N_dye Guest
    I've seen Jay in person several times at car shows, and always makes time for fans to chat, take pictures, etc. Seems really nice....I don't get the jerk comments.

Quote Originally Posted by cubbiecatz View Post
    Leno hospitalized with illness, cancels taping

By LYNN ELBER, AP Television Writer Lynn Elber, Ap Television Writer 2 hrs 43 mins ago
    UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. â?? Jay Leno checked into a hospital with an undisclosed illness Thursday and canceled the taping of the "Tonight" show, but was doing well and planned to return next week, his publicist and NBC said.
    Leno left his office at NBC's studios about midday and checked himself into a hospital for observation, said his publicist, Dick Guttman. He would not identify what ailed Leno, but characterized it as "mild" and said the comedian continued to work Thursday, making phone calls and writing jokes.
    "Jay Leno is doing just fine," read a statement from NBC spokeswoman Tracy St. Pierre. "He was kidding around with the hospital staff and running his monologue jokes by the doctors and the nurses. He's expected back to work on Monday."
    A woman who answered the media line at Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center, which is near the Burbank studio where Leno tapes "Tonight," said they had no patient by that name, and referred inquiries to NBC.
    The network planned to air a rerun of the show Thursday night. Scheduled guests were "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" actor Ryan Reynolds, celebrity animal trainer Jules Sylvester and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.
    "We wish Jay the speediest of recoveries and hope that our soundcheck this morning didn't have anything to do with his illness or the cancellation of the show," joked Chad Jensen, manager for Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. He said most of the guys in the swing band instead were "in the ocean surfing this afternoon."
    It was an unusual lapse for the famously intrepid performer, who routinely fills off-days from his TV show with live appearances on the comedy circuit.
    Leno, who turns 59 on Tuesday, will leave the "Tonight" show May 29 after 17 years. But he will continue on NBC, with a Monday-through-Friday program at 10 p.m., starting in the fall.
    The top-rated late-night host's move to prime time created a stir in the industry, taking the time slot usually reserved by broadcast networks for dramas such as "ER." And Leno has continued to make news, scoring a coup by booking President Barack Obama as a guest and performing free comedy concerts in the recession-wracked Detroit area.
    ___
    I don't watch Leno, have no opinion of him as a person, but I do think the prime-time slot will tank. It backs NBC into a corner with their programming that might be more appropriate for a 10 pm slot, i.e. Medium, (which I love) due to content.

Fujicakes Guest
    Glad he's doing ok!

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

http://thesectional.blogspot.com/200...ou-decide.html
    so most footage has been removed but read the transcript.
    Does RaJayJay read funny or otherwise?
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

blah
    nevermind the transcript isnt there
    let me find it

MoonRabbit Guest
    I began disliking Jay Leno when he treated Linda Tripp.... like absolute dirt.
    I just thought it was uncalled for.
    Tripp fell for it and spent a fortune remaking herself.

Doug81506 Guest

last leno tonight show

anyone else staying home to watch? thoughts?

beatlebaby4 Guest
    I missed it I thought it was tonight.

pistolpete Guest
    never watched...never thought he was that funny...he's kind of a hack imho..I watch Letterman and Conan

dovescry1999 Guest
    Watched it on Thursday...You know why ?

Doug81506 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dovescry1999 View Post
    i'll bite. why?

Chevyheaven Guest
    I really cant believe hes been on for 17 years. Time has gone by sooo fast. I never watched a full episode of Jay Leno. Usually just certain guests. I dont think Conan will do too bad.

MmmRavioli Guest
    I only ever watch Conan and Letterman anyway. They're much funnier. I think Conan will do great. I'm putting his premiere night on DVR.
    I will miss Leno's "headlines" though.

LitaMalibu Guest
    We watched it because we had to stay in a deal with Malware intrusion on the PC (next time, I'm getting a Mac). It was mostly clips of the best of "Jaywalking" Conan came on and James Taylor sang. It wasn't anything special like Carson's last night or anything, being he's still going to be doing it just at a different time slot.

I also don't think Jay's new show will work, but hey. I think that about 99% of the sitcoms on TV.

On a different note, I watched Jimmy Fallon's show and they're house band, the Roots are friggin amazing! I hope his show lasts!

I remember Carson's last episode, too. (May of '92). I'll catch it on Hulu. I LOVE Conan; he's so funny!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Fujicakes Guest
    Yay, I'm so excited for Conan! I hope he does well. And I think Jay's farewell was spread throughout the week, so it didn't seem like such a big deal on his last show. Though it is primetime (he joked about this as well) I hope his show does well.

Quote Originally Posted by dovescry1999 View Post
    I know why

Last Leno show on here now.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pistolpete View Post
    never watched...never thought he was that funny...he's kind of a hack imho..I watch Letterman and Conan
    I concur with that estimation... I think Conan will do a great job.... I didn't give two toots about Leno's exit but I think I'll tune in for Conan's debut...

TallulahDahling Guest
    I've always thought Leno was a class-act. Had some HUGE kahunas to take over after Carson, methinks.

But I adore Conan. He reminds of the first manager who I ever let sexually harass me on a job. Ahhh...sweet memories...........

MmmRavioli Guest
    The Tonight Show w/Conan.... who's tuning in? It's about to start here in a minute.
    I don't know anything about the new show. Did he even bring his old band with him? What are they going to change, what are they going to keep...? Curious.
    I know the announcer will be different. That's all I've heard so far.

Fujicakes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MmmRavioli View Post
    The Tonight Show w/Conan.... who's tuning in? It's about to start here in a minute.
    I don't know anything about the new show. Did he even bring his old band with him? What are they going to change, what are they going to keep...? Curious.
    I know the announcer will be different. That's all I've heard so far.
    Saw it last night! So much fun to watch, I'm glad they're allowing Conan to be Conan...and he brought Max and the band! Yay!

Bidmor Guest
    Leno doesn't hold a candle to Letterman. The comparison reminds me of a saying I heard once: A comic says funny things...a comedian says things funny. Leno is a comic, Letterman is a comedian.

As to Leno and Johnny...why do you think Johnny sent Dave jokes and appeared on Letterman's show? Apparently Johnny never had anything to do with Leno after he retired.

I think Letterman will cream Conan.

I sure do miss watching Jay at 11:35 every night...

Well, come September, he will wipe the floor with David Letterman AND Conan O'Brien! At the same time AND at his 10:00 spot!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here one day, Gone one night, Gone too soon...
    Missing you forever...

imadeathhag Guest

Talking Humans Can Be Stupid

Proof that people are idiots. My favorite was the man with the bottle:

http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/...eatured|recent

Heavenly Tiger Guest
    Can't view the page, says it can't support my browser,

imadeathhag Guest
    darnit.

Apparently after Wanda Sykes, the White House decided to play it safe with Jay Leno and it didn't work out all that well.

Here is a comment from TIME.

Jay Leno was a disappointingly safe choice as host of this year's White House Correspondents' dinner.

Still, there was some logic to it. At a time of bitter partisan rancor in Washington, the press group clearly felt no urge to risk stirring up more ill will with a real political satirist like Stephen Colbert (who skewered the Bush gang back in '06) or a loose cannon like Wanda Sykes (who last year labeled Rush Limbaugh “the 20th hijacker” because he's rooting for Obama to fail).

You could even argue it was an ideal time for Leno to trade barbs with President Obama. Both got big promotions last year. Both ran into unforeseen problems. And both rebounded quite nicely in the end.

Leno's flailing attempt at a prime-time program on NBC was mercifully canceled, and he was awarded his old job back as Tonight show host.

Obama got health care passed.

Still, the lopsided result of Saturday night's comedy faceoff at the Washington Hilton was a little startling. Leno, the workaholic comedy pro, got bested by the stand-up neophyte onstage, Barack Obama.

Maybe you have to know the room. Obama's material was a canny mix of self-deprecation and score settling with the various constituencies in the hall. “I may not have the star power that I once had,” he admitted, talking about his dropping approval ratings to the assembled journalists. “But in my defense, neither do all of you.” He took on old foes: John McCain “recently claimed he had never identified himself as a maverick," said the President. "And we all know what happens in Arizona when you don't have ID.”

And new ones: “All the jokes tonight are brought to you by our friends at Goldman Sachs," Obama said. "So you don't have to worry. They make money whether you laugh or not.”

But it wasn't just the material. As a stand-up comic, Obama has mastered the timing, the deadpan misdirection, the rhetorical sucker punch. He scoffed at charges that there are secret provisions in the new health care bill: “That's ridiculous. There aren't a few secret provisions.” (Beat.) “There are, like, hundreds.”

Or his take on Congressman Eric Massa's account of Rahm Emanuel's temper tantrum in the locker room of the congressional gym. “He claims that Rahm started screaming obsenities at him,” said the President. “To which I say, welcome to my world.”
    Read more: http://swampland.blogs.time.com/2010/05/02/leno-at-the-white-house-correspondents-dinner-hes-no-obama/?xid=rss-topstories#ixzz0msLkWe8z
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

The Tonight Show with Jay Leno posted its lowest-rated Q2 since the Late Show with David Letterman launched on CBS in 1993.

Late Show delivered its most competitive finish against The Tonight Show in viewers and key demographics since 1995. Still, Leno topped Letterman comfortably in the ratings during their first quarter in 9 months as late-night rivals, by 23% in both total viewers and adults 18-49. The Tonight Show averaged 4.0 million viewers and a 1.1/4 in adults 18-49, down 20% in viewers and 31% in adults 18-49 from last year’s second quarter, which was inflated by the big ratings for Leno’s sign-off and Conan O’Brien’s debut.

It was the lowest-rated second quarter for The Tonight Show in total viewers, adults 18-49, and adults 25-54 since 1993. The Tonight Show with Jay Leno is now tracking at demo levels comparable to where the show was with O'Brien as host. Meanwhile, Late Show too had its smallest audience since 1993. It drew 3.3 million viewers and a 0.9/4 in 18-49, down 7% in viewers and even in 18-49. It was Late Show’s most competitive 2Q position against The Tonight Show in viewers (-746,000) and adults 18-49 (-0.2) since 1995.

So the old guard late-night hosts are losing ground, with Nightline (3.7 million, up 2%), once in danger of cancellation by ABC when the network was pursuing Letterman, comfortably ahead of the CBS host and closing in on Leno.
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

GrinReaper Guest
    What do you think about the new band?
    They have yet to grow on me.
    Kevin Eubanks is an underated guitarist and I miss his participation and friendship with Jay.
    You also had Smitty and that chick who would sing and get the crowd into it.
    Either the new band will eventually get with it and be as extroverted or else they will just be background guys.

His ratings are sliding bigtime according to an article today.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Leno's ratings are at the lowest since 1992...he still topped Letterman who also has dropped to his 1993 low...Nightline tops Letterman for the first time since 2000:
    http://www.tvguide.com/News/Tonight-...s=breakingnews

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post

The word karma comes to mind. Don't get me wrong. I like Leno, but the Jay/Conan tug-of-war seriously tarnished him and his show.
    [SIGPIC]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Zoe_Zeppelin/Zepsig1.jpg[/SIGPIC]