Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sandy West

xenaswolf Guest

Sandy West

Sandy West (47) musician whose ferocious drumming fueled the influential all-female '70s rock band the Runaways, which West cofounded with Joan Jett. After the band's breakup in 1979, West continued to perform as a singer, guitarist, and drummer with the Sandy West Band. She died of lung cancer in San Dimas, California on October 21, 2006

Damn I had no idea...RIP Sandy

Yeah, I was pretty shocked to hear that too and a few weeks before she died, they were trying to raise money for her treatment.

I highly recommend the Runaways documentary, "Edge Play: A Film About the Runaways". Great stuff and everyone participated except Joan Jett!

The sad part was Sandy West, since she really wanted the band to get back together - just that no one really wanted to. She was pretty depressed about that, and since she left the band, she had done everything from being a "leg breaker" for a loan shark to doing carpentry!

A lot of revealing stuff said in that film - by ALL the members.

And it basically confirms the fact that Joan is Gay - altho we all know that now anyway - she's dating Carmen Electra!

xenaswolf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Yeah, I was pretty shocked to hear that too and a few weeks before she died, they were trying to raise money for her treatment.

I highly recommend the Runaways documentary, "Edge Play: A Film About the Runaways". Great stuff and everyone participated except Joan Jett!

The sad part was Sandy West, since she really wanted the band to get back together - just that no one really wanted to. She was pretty depressed about that, and since she left the band, she had done everything from being a "leg breaker" for a loan shark to doing carpentry!

And it basically confirms the fact that Joan is Gay - altho we all know that now anyway - she's dating Carmen Electra!
    Damn Lucky Carmen LOL
    I knew Joan didn't participate in the movie which was sad, but from what I hear there were lots of hard feelings when the group broke up.

GODDESS6 Guest

great docu, sandy's death broke my heart, i felt like after the runaway's they just forgot about her, she had it rough after the break-up~

I just saw Joan her on LI with Aerosmith in September. She still rocks the house.
    That's too bad that they didn't want to get back together, I would have LOVED to have seen that!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

xenaswolf Guest
    I know that a while back, Cherie Currie and Joan did a few songs together. Cherie was hot in the day but looks nothing like she did. I didn't even recognize her.

Remember her scene in Twilight Zone: The Movie? She was in the "It's a good life" (is that what its called?) segment..she was the sister in the chair watching tv without a mouth!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

xenaswolf Guest
    Nope don't remember that but do remember her in Foxes with Jodie Foster

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Remember her scene in Twilight Zone: The Movie? She was in the "It's a good life" (is that what its called?) segment..she was the sister in the chair watching tv without a mouth!
    I know which one you are talking about - the one with the little boy who controlled his whole family, who lived in fear of him. With the weird cartoon stuff going on.

What a trip - I didn't know that was Cherie!

That movie just got released on DVD - in case anyone was interested.
    Last edited by Aries65; 10-14-2007 at 06:27 PM.

xenaswolf Guest
    Just watched Edgeplay...Kim Fowley should be drawn and quartered. What a fuckstain! I felt so bad at the end where Sandy basically was begging for the group to get back together...now she's gone.

It's too bad Joan didn't participate...maybe she was pissed cuz she was outted and they told about her drug use etc. Sad, really.

Quote Originally Posted by xenaswolf View Post
    Just watched Edgeplay...Kim Fowley should be drawn and quartered. What a fuckstain! I felt so bad at the end where Sandy basically was begging for the group to get back together...now she's gone.

It's too bad Joan didn't participate...maybe she was pissed cuz she was outted and they told about her drug use etc. Sad, really.
    Personally I think since Joan DIDN'T participate in it, is why the rest of the band "told all" - since she wasn't there defend herself or dispute any of it.

I mean, it's well known that Joan is Gay anyway.

I've always heard stories about Joan and Cherie making out in the clubs during the bands heyday - so it wasn't like Joan was trying to hide anything anyway - and openly dating someone like Carmen Electra - isn't going to go over anybody's heads either!

Yeah, Sandy just broke my heart in Edgeplay. The band meant so much to her, and it was apparent she pretty much stayed out of all the drama that went with the rest of them and they ended up ruining it all for her.

And I agree, Kim Fowley should be shot.

Another great documentary of Hollywood music that should be seen (that has Cherie Currie and Kim Fowley in it) is "The Mayor of Sunset Strip" - all about Rodney Bingheimer (sp?). That's a sad story too - but an interesting doc!

I see dead people Guest

Sandy West 1959 - 2006

"These girls got balls...They're just a little higher up that's all..."

Any Runaways fans out there? She died on October 21, 2006 of cancer.

PS: I looked through that really really really long list to make sure this isn't a duplicate thread, should I of missed it, I appologize now, besides I am just a junior death hag, don't have high hopes for me!

I see dead people Guest
    Oh, after I post that I am an official "Death Hag", is there some secret hand shake or special parking or something we get?

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by I see dead people View Post
    "These girls got balls...They're just a little higher up that's all..."

Any Runaways fans out there? She died on October 21, 2006 of cancer.

PS: I looked through that really really really long list to make sure this isn't a duplicate thread, should I of missed it, I appologize now, besides I am just a junior death hag, don't have high hopes for me!
    Well, it says you're a "Death Hag". Looks like you've graduated from the junior position!
    Congratulations!

Cataroo Guest
    As a teenager, I WORSHIPED at the altar of The Runaways. They were what I wanted to be ... or at least I THOUGHT so unil a few years ago when I saw the documentary and all of the f**ked up shit that happened to them.

Still have their albums too (including a rare live Japanese album)!
    Last edited by Cataroo; 06-30-2009 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataroo View Post
    As a teenager, I WORSHIPED at the altar of The Runaways. They were what I wanted to be ... or at least I THOUGHT so unil a few years ago when I saw the documentary and all of the f**ked up shit that happened to them.

Still have their albums too (including a rare live Japanese album)!
    I got them all too - including a couple of cool bootleg CDs - they sounded really good in concert.

cachluv Guest

Sandy West (The Runaways) 10/07/59---10/21/06

Runaways members Joan Jett, left, Sandy West, Cherie Currie, Vicki Blue and Lita Ford are shown in this 1977 photo.

Sandy West, whose ferocious drumming fueled the influential all-female '70s rock band the Runaways, which she co-founded with Joan Jett, has died of lung cancer. She was 47.
    West died Saturday night at a hospice in San Dimas, east of Los Angeles, her manager Mara Fox said. She was diagnosed a year ago.
    West was only 16 when she started the Runaways in 1975 with Jett, a singer and guitarist.
    Along with band members Lita Ford and Cherie Currie, they had such hits as Cherry Bomb and Born to Be Bad.
    "We shared the dream of girls playing rock and roll. Sandy was an exuberant and powerful drummer," Jett said in a statement. "I am overcome from the loss of my friend. I always told her we changed the world."
    Born in 1959 and raised in Huntington Beach, West was a bona fide California girl, splitting her time between surfing and skiing, Currie said.
    After West's grandfather bought her a drum kit, she channeled her athleticism into music.
    The Runaways headlined shows with such performers as Cheap Trick and Tom Petty as opening acts.
    Following the band's breakup in 1979, West continued to perform as a singer, guitarist and drummer with the Sandy West Band. She also released a solo CD.
    "Sandy West loved her fans, her friends and family almost to a fault," Currie said in a statement. "It will never be the same for me again to step on a stage, because Sandy West was the best and I will miss her forever."
    West completed her memoirs before she died, and Fox said she hoped to get the book published.
    West is survived by her mother, Jeri Williams, stepfather Dick Williams, and six sisters.

xenaswolf Guest
    Thanks for adding the info, I couldn't find it!

Wow....SIX sisters? And a biography book - should be an interesting read. The only other book out about the Runaways was that one by Cherie Currie - and it was, eh, "okay"...

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xenaswolf View Post
    I know that a while back, Cherie Currie and Joan did a few songs together. Cherie was hot in the day but looks nothing like she did. I didn't even recognize her.
    I would STILL tag Cherie and Joan...even if Joan is gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    I would STILL tag Cherie and Joan...even if Joan is gay.
    Cherie is Bi also.

And she was also married at one time to actor Robert Hayes - the guy from those Airplane! movies.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Cherie is Bi also.

And she was also married at one time to actor Robert Hayes - the guy from those Airplane! movies.
    gay, straight, bi...it really doesn't matter to me. we're all equal in my eyes. a hot lady is a hot lady, no matter what way the door swings. my weiner isn't prejudice.

gay, straight, bi...it really doesn't matter to me. we're all equal in my eyes. a hot lady is a hot lady, no matter what way the door swings. my weiner isn't prejudice.
    Well, it might matter - if the gal is Gay and clearly not "interested" - no offense, I'm just saying...

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Well, it might matter - if the gal is Gay and clearly not "interested" - no offense, I'm just saying...
    well, I was talking more about the fantasy not reality.

well, I was talking more about the fantasy not reality.
    LOL - okay Chris!

cachluv Guest
    LOLOL My husband SWEARS that Fabio is gay. Who cares? I told my Hubs that hot is hot....I bet I'd infiltrate and get Fabs pregnant before he knew what hit him. I normally hate that beefcake shit too but there's something about him I want to BITE!!

And just like Vin Diesel, rumors abound....who cares about that one either?

Yes, gay.....so THAT's what's kept us apart.....I knew there was SOME reason......

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    LOLOL My husband SWEARS that Fabio is gay. Who cares? I told my Hubs that hot is hot....I bet I'd infiltrate and get Fabs pregnant before he knew what hit him. I normally hate that beefcake shit too but there's something about him I want to BITE!!

And just like Vin Diesel, rumors abound....who cares about that one either?

Yes, gay.....so THAT's what's kept us apart.....I knew there was SOME reason......
    exactly. sexual preference means jack to me when I see a beautiful woman. it's not like we're gonna hook up anyway. it's all about the fantasy you have. and we ALL have em. my newest one's are Tegan and Sara. cuties from Canada who have an amazing album called The Con that just came out. sure, their both gay...but I still think their both HOTTIES!!!! and they have talent to boot. they are new to my list of hottest woman in rock.

I found this in a Vanity Fair supplement magazine I got in the mail the other day...

"Neon Angels", directed by Floria Sigimondi, tells the tale of Joan Jett and the 70s all-girl rock band, the Runaways.

Apparently there is movie being made about the band - sorry that's all the article said about it - unless someone can find more details on the project!

Sounds like it might be pretty good. Can't wait! Hope it's a go!

BTW - Anyone see that Gina Gershon movie, "Prey for Rock n Roll"? I thought that was a pretty good all-girl rock band movie. Joan Jett gave Gina a few guitar tips for her role in that one.

I found some info on the Neon Angels movie, but it's dated from April - and now here it is November - and no word on the release - or if it's even being filmed! And Joan Jett is involved - what a surprise!

[SIZE=6]Neon Angelsâ?? To Tell â??Runawaysâ?? Tale

[/SIZE][SIZE=6][/SIZE]Posted by Empress Eve | April 18th, 2007 at 1:49 pm | Trackback
    New movie will delve into the sex, drugs, and rock and roll lifestyle of Joan Jettâ??s 1970â??s all-girl teenage band.
    Rocker Joan Jett will executive produce a planned movie about her 1970â??s all-girl band, The Runaways, according to Variety.
    Floria Sigismondi will write and direct Neon Angels, adapted from an unpublished memoir by lead singer Cherie Currie that delves into the bandâ??s sex, drugs, and rock and roll lifestyle.
    Producers Art and John Linson have secured music rights that will accent the tale of the five female teenage musicians brought together in 1975 by music producer Kim Fowley, undeniably leaving a legacy for future generations of female rockers.
    The original line-up for the bandâ??s eponymous 1976 debut album and its follow-up Queens of Noise consisted of Currie, Jett on rhythm guitar, Lita Ford on lead guitar, Jackie Fox on bass, and Sandy West (who died from lung cancer last October) on drums.
    While the underage ladies were no doubt capable musicians with well-written tunes â?? most notably their hit â??Cherry Bombâ? â?? their skimpy on-stage attire saddled them with a â??jailbaitâ? tag. This made it difficult for people to take their music seriously, especially in the United States. Though The Runaways had greater success in countries like England, Japan, and Scandinavia, they broke up in 1979 and Jett went on to achieve solo success.
    Jettâ??s longtime manager-producer Kenny Laguna, along with Brian Young, will also executive produce the film, which will be financed independently to allow for an R-rated and edgy drama, factors that were important to Jett and Currie.

xenaswolf Guest
    WOOOOOT! Thanks for the info Aries!

laynesgrl Guest
    Whenever I listen to the Runaways,it brings back such great memories of my teen years. All the rebellion and angst!! They were my idols, and still are. Cherie and Sandy remained close thru the years along with Vicky Blue. RIP Sandy!!

33. 04-04-2009, 10:44 AM

laynesgrl Guest
    Just read today that the new Runaways movie will be out and Kristin Stewart will be playing Joan Jett. Here is the link http://www.therunaways.com/

laynesgrl Guest

laynesgrl Guest

May you Rest in Rockin' Peace Sandy!!!

laynesgrl Guest
    Check out SuicideGirls.com to hear what Kristen Stewart has to say about playing Joan Jett in the upcoming movie!!

laynesgrl Guest
    Here is the memorial "chainsaw carving" Cherie Currie made for Sandy West which was unveiled on "Sandy West Memorial Day"

39. 06-29-2009, 11:35 PM

soonerpimp Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by laynesgrl View Post
    Here is the memorial "chainsaw carving" Cherie Currie made for Sandy West which was unveiled on "Sandy West Memorial Day"

Is that Curie standing next to the statue?
    RIP Sandy

laynesgrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soonerpimp View Post
    Is that Curie standing next to the statue?
    RIP Sandy
    Yes that is Cherie!!

laynesgrl Guest
    Here is a pic of Cherie with her ex husband Robert Hays and their son Jake Hays

Details of the Sandy West mermaid

rickenbacker Guest
    Cherie still looks amazing. I've used a chainsaw. How she can do that with one, I do not know!

dustbuster Guest

Twilight Zone

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Cheri was NOT in that movie!

WriterDude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dustbuster View Post
    Cheri was NOT in that movie!
    IMDb says otherwise: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0192947/

PS: Joan Jett fans should look in my album here for an amazingly blurry pic I took of Joan with my wife.

laynesgrl Guest
    Well, you are correct, WriterDude!!! It even says so on her official web site!!
    Here is the link:

http://www.cheriecurrie.com/resume.html

laynesgrl Guest
    Today Sandy West would be 50 years old!! Happy birthday in Heaven, Sandy!!!

Last edited by laynesgrl; 07-10-2009 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Needed to add pic!!!

Forever-27 Guest
    I know this is way off topic, but if there were one living musican id want to sit down and have coffee with it would be Joan Jett.

gemini33 Guest
    Ok, I have to share this story. I was at the Joan Jett concert at Bogarts in Cincinnati either October 18th or 19th 2006, I'm sorry I can't remember the exact date. I've met Joan 2 times before. Joan is a quiet and humble person anyway, but while meeting her a third time she really seemed quiet and just "not there". I learned later that Joan was told before the concert that Sandy wasn't doing well at all. I didn't get to go to the Cleveland concert of Joan's right after Sandy died, but people have told me Joan dedicated the concert to her and was really shaken up.

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Great blast from the past Ich. Cherie does chain saw carvings now and has left music.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

laynesgrl Guest
    I don't know for sure if she is finished with recording, but she is definitely not finished with music!! She was slated to go on stage with Joan Jett on the 18th of this month at the Santa Barbara Fair.

Joan's 50th birthday